Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

Oh, I think the relevant question would be whether fines constitute an effective deterrent for speeding/seatbelt infractions. The obvious answer being 'no', one might then question the actual purpose of said fines. 

Hrhr I pass a road sign on my way to work that reads '25% of all vehicle fatalities are due to speeding'. So, by that math...

To answer your question, yes wearing a seat belt can save your life in a vehicle accident. 

I’ll chime in here because I’m one of the few who agree with you - but only to a point. Fines are a deterrent to a fairly large segment of the population but it pisses me off that they’re just a cost of doing business for the rich and their asshole entitled kids.

7 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I’ll chime in here because I’m one of the few who agree with you - but only to a point. Fines are a deterrent to a fairly large segment of the population but it pisses me off that they’re just a cost of doing business for the rich and their asshole entitled kids.

Many European countries tie their traffic fines into the perps income; which is why the "Finish Flash" ended up with a $39,000 speeding ticket.

And his wasn't the largest fine

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/03/finland-home-of-the-103000-speeding-ticket/387484/

"

Reima Kuisla, a Finnish businessman, was recently caught going 65 miles per hour in a 50 zone in his home country—an offense that would typically come with a fine of a couple hundred dollars, at most, in the U.S. But after Finnish police pulled Kuisla over, they pinged a federal taxpayer database to determine his income, consulted their handbook, and arrived at the amount that he was required to pay: €54,000.

The fine was so extreme because in Finland, some traffic fines, as well as fines for shoplifting and violating securities-exchange laws, are assessed based on earnings—and Kuisla's declared income was €6.5 million per year. Exorbitant fines like this are infrequent, but not unheard of: In 2002, a Nokia executive was fined the equivalent of $103,000 for going 45 in a 30 zone on his

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I heard that there was some countries that have fines based on your income level...

Finland, I think is one. We should do that. 

EDIT : nevermind, Gurn was on  it as I typed. Thank you. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Many European countries tie their traffic fines into the perps income; which is why the "Finish Flash" ended up with a $39,000 speeding ticket.

And his wasn't the largest fine

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/03/finland-home-of-the-103000-speeding-ticket/387484/

"

Reima Kuisla, a Finnish businessman, was recently caught going 65 miles per hour in a 50 zone in his home country—an offense that would typically come with a fine of a couple hundred dollars, at most, in the U.S. But after Finnish police pulled Kuisla over, they pinged a federal taxpayer database to determine his income, consulted their handbook, and arrived at the amount that he was required to pay: €54,000.

The fine was so extreme because in Finland, some traffic fines, as well as fines for shoplifting and violating securities-exchange laws, are assessed based on earnings—and Kuisla's declared income was €6.5 million per year. Exorbitant fines like this are infrequent, but not unheard of: In 2002, a Nokia executive was fined the equivalent of $103,000 for going 45 in a 30 zone on his

I'd love to see that here, but it's a shame it wouldn't work with the entitled kids.  Maybe tweak it and tie it to the value of the car being driven?

• Upvote 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I heard that there was some countries that have fines based on your income level...

Finland, I think is one. We should do that. 

Then everyone under poverty line can cheaply train for F1 racing!

I should have been an entrepreneur advisor.

• Haha 2

My best friend has put close to $10,000 into his car engine.

He still remembers the old days ,when we could do goofy stupid shit in cars , and get away with it.

I remind him to always have enough money on hand to pay for the impoundment fees; no point letting those accumulate past the court mandated minimum impound time.

• ThereItIs 1

'QAnon Queen' abandons tiny town after threatening locals with public execution: report

https://www.rawstory.com/qanon-queen-2666291390/

QAnon Cult leader and self-proclaimed "Queen of Canada" Romana Didulo — also dubbed the "QAnon Queen" — has apparently left the abandoned school in the small town of Richmound that she and her followers had taken over, Vice News reported Thursday.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10096664/plastic-ban-overturned-court/

The Federal Court just overturned Ottawa’s single-use plastic ban - National
globalnews.ca
Click to play video: 'Canada’s single-use plastic ban takes effect'

The Federal Court overturned Canada’s ban on single-use plastic on Thursday, deeming the policy “unreasonable and unconstitutional.”

The decision found that the classification of plastics in the cabinet order was too broad to be listed on the List of Toxic Substances in Schedule 1 and the government acted outside of its authority.

“There is no reasonable apprehension that all listed Plastic Manufactured Items are harmful,” the decision read.

The decision has essentially quashed a cabinet order that listed plastic manufactured items, such as plastic bags, straws, and takeout containers, as toxic under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act.

1 hour ago, Maninthebox said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10096664/plastic-ban-overturned-court/

The Federal Court just overturned Ottawa’s single-use plastic ban - National
globalnews.ca
Click to play video: 'Canada’s single-use plastic ban takes effect'

The Federal Court overturned Canada’s ban on single-use plastic on Thursday, deeming the policy “unreasonable and unconstitutional.”

The decision found that the classification of plastics in the cabinet order was too broad to be listed on the List of Toxic Substances in Schedule 1 and the government acted outside of its authority.

“There is no reasonable apprehension that all listed Plastic Manufactured Items are harmful,” the decision read.

The decision has essentially quashed a cabinet order that listed plastic manufactured items, such as plastic bags, straws, and takeout containers, as toxic under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act.

I'm actually happy about this. The ban was greenwashing horse pucks. We need to invest in Canadian companies that will recycle materials, not move to paper straws.

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

'QAnon Queen' abandons tiny town after threatening locals with public execution: report

https://www.rawstory.com/qanon-queen-2666291390/

QAnon Cult leader and self-proclaimed "Queen of Canada" Romana Didulo — also dubbed the "QAnon Queen" — has apparently left the abandoned school in the small town of Richmound that she and her followers had taken over, Vice News reported Thursday.

Great news. No towns deserves those nutters taking up residence.   Hopefully they get the medical / mental health care they need to get better.

• Vintage 1

On 11/16/2023 at 5:08 PM, Bob Long said:

I'm actually happy about this. The ban was greenwashing horse pucks. We need to invest in Canadian companies that will recycle materials, not move to paper straws.

I honestly don't remember the last time I used a straw... we could stand to produce/throw out less plastic, as well as a much better job of recycling the stuff we do use.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/16/2023 at 5:08 PM, Bob Long said:

This whole paper straw, single us plastic bags is tree hugger thinking. If these folk want to save the planet then they bloody well need to stop being such friggin’ hypocrites and give up their fancy phones, and their comfortable lifestyles. Give up everything that comes from fossil fuels, especially oil and gas. When they are willing to go live in caves (these kinds of folk would be more than likely dying in caves) then we will listen to their foolishness. Until they will give up those things they need to SHUT THE HELL UP! 

These have to be the most spoiled and softest muffins in human history. Grow the hell up or shut the hell up. 
Alf clearly needs a new bottle to empty 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Alflives said:

This whole paper straw, single us plastic bags is tree hugger thinking. If these folk want to save the planet then they bloody well need to stop being such friggin’ hypocrites and give up their fancy phones, and their comfortable lifestyles. Give up everything that comes from fossil fuels, especially oil and gas. When they are willing to go live in caves (these kinds of folk would be more than likely dying in caves) then we will listen to their foolishness. Until they will give up those things they need to SHUT THE HELL UP! 

These have to be the most spoiled and softest muffins in human history. Grow the hell up or shut the hell up. 
Alf clearly needs a new bottle to empty 

Just recycle the mt bottle Alf.

All this stuff about straws, because a turtle ended up with one up it's nose.

Why didn't they just get that turtle into re-hab?

cocaine is truly not good for you.

This does speak to a massive problem in our world/society-symbolism.

Wear the proper coloured shirt on the proper day, and fight

bullying

racism

residential school abuse

for pride initiatives

cancer

'Well I wore the right shirt on the correct day, I've done my bit."

Jimmy Carr on charity-'When it comes to charity, a lot of people stop at nothing"

Wearing coloured shirts is damn close doing nothing.

• ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

In fairness to Poilevre, if I go out of my way to hear him or any other poltician or public speaker, I want to hear those people.  I don't want to hear some hecklers (at least, not too any length) regardless of what they are heckling about.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

15 hours ago, Gurn said:

All this stuff about straws, because a turtle ended up with one up it's nose.

Why didn't they just get that turtle into re-hab?

cocaine is truly not good for you.

This does speak to a massive problem in our world/society-symbolism.

Wear the proper coloured shirt on the proper day, and fight

bullying

racism

residential school abuse

for pride initiatives

cancer

'Well I wore the right shirt on the correct day, I've done my bit."

Jimmy Carr on charity-'When it comes to charity, a lot of people stop at nothing"

Wearing coloured shirts is damn close doing nothing.

I think this hints at one of the biggest problems with social media - it makes people feel like they did something. There's no replacement for an actual protest.

• Upvote 1