Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

7 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Getting Trudeau to make Dental a National option for people is something the NDP has been after for years, as was Universal Medicare. Minority governments actually work much better than a majority government does in my opinion. That batshit crazy on the Conservative side of the aisle isn't something I want to see Canada turn into.

Yep they did do a good thing there. 

37 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

My one and only issue, why 85+ being the first to register for the program? Shouldn't young kids be the first option? Maybe not enough of them vote though, lol!

It's pretty rough on the old folks when teeth are in bad shape. I think some kids are starting in the program right away too no?

On 12/11/2023 at 7:24 PM, aGENT said:

Pretty sure that's what the BOC intended with all those interest rate hikes. Not really a function of Trudeau or the Liberals.

Inflation isn’t caused by interest rate hikes.  It’s caused by printing money.  Rates hikes are the effect of an inflationary economy.  Printing money that we don’t have is 100% the fault of the government…

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

Getting Trudeau to make Dental a National option for people is something the NDP has been after for years, as was Universal Medicare. Minority governments actually work much better than a majority government does in my opinion. That batshit crazy on the Conservative side of the aisle isn't something I want to see Canada turn into.

Minority governments don’t work in the long term. They usually last less than 2 years.  So not sure the average Canadian is interested in going to the polls every 2 years.  Giving power to a party with less than 16% of the total vote whereby they can hold the current government as a hostage and putting a gun to their head to push their platform doesn’t make a lot of sense.  

Also, the national dental plan is not an option for all Canadians. You need to be making less than $90,000 a year as a total household income in order to qualify.  I don’t know about you, but I don’t know anyone whose total household income is less than $90,000.  That would be just above the poverty level living in Vancouver.  Maybe in Edmonton or Winnipeg it would work.  But the average family living in Vancouver or Toronto would never qualify for it.  

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Inflation isn’t caused by interest rate hikes.  It’s caused by printing money.  Rates hikes are the effect of an inflationary economy.  Printing money that we don’t have is 100% the fault of the government…

Where did supply chain problems go? 

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Too some extent. Something EVERY party agreed on, and voted for during the pandemic FYI. And for obvious reasons, given the alternative.

And now that things like shipping/manufacturing issues, oil prices etc that were causing a lot of that inflation have returned largely to "normal", the vast majority of our inflation is currently caused by housing costs... Directly linked to interest rates (and the pesky lack of housing we've been talking about). Interest rates that are also now effecting housing starts and worsening the issue.

You also have things like climate change, monopolies (groceries) etc causing inflation as well. So no, not 100% the fault of the government.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Minority governments don’t work in the long term. They usually last less than 2 years.  So not sure the average Canadian is interested in going to the polls every 2 years.  Giving power to a party with less than 16% of the total vote whereby they can hold the current government as a hostage and putting a gun to their head to push their platform doesn’t make a lot of sense.  

Also, the national dental plan is not an option for all Canadians. You need to be making less than $90,000 a year as a total household income in order to qualify.  I don’t know about you, but I don’t know anyone whose total household income is less than $90,000.  That would be just above the poverty level living in Vancouver.  Maybe in Edmonton or Winnipeg it would work.  But the average family living in Vancouver or Toronto would never qualify for it.  

My wife and I are retired, but luckily we have extended health plans through our former unions. We don't earn that amount. Therefore we don't need to apply for the National Plan. I know lots of folks who don't earn $90K, folks who have kids living and working from home as well. Yes, and I live in greater Vancouver. That's a pretty broad and condescending statement. No the plan isn't an option for all, but show me what PP would do for Canadians in the mean time. All I see from that clown is finger pointing, and marching with trucker convoy types. I guess "old stock" Canadians is a term his mentor used.

16% in the scheme of things, when the other two parties garner less than 45%.

You must do pretty well for yourself, and run in circles of people in similar positions. Definitely not a knock, always glad to see people succeed, especially fellow Canadians.

However, just because you don't know anyone with a household income under $90k annually doesn't mean they aren't common; there are a lot of them. Hell, my wife and I moved to the prairies and we're still under that line (albeit getting close now and increasing at a decent pace; probably above it in the next year or so). I'd estimate that probably (at least) 70% of the people I knew in Vancouver were below that line, with only a handful of them having any hope of getting above it any time soon. Vancouver and Toronto are rich cities, but wealth inequality is on full display there (but that's a whole other topic in itself). Lot of people get stuck in debt just paying for bills and groceries, never mind dental visits (if not covered by employer's insurance, which only only covers so much anyways). I'm personally just glad we left before getting stuck in that quagmire.

• ThereItIs 1

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Too some extent. Something EVERY party agreed on, and voted for during the pandemic FYI. And for obvious reasons, given the alternative.

And now that things like shipping/manufacturing issues, oil prices etc that were causing a lot of that inflation have returned largely to "normal", the vast majority of our inflation is currently caused by housing costs... Directly linked to interest rates (and the pesky lack of housing we've been talking about). Interest rates that are also now effecting housing starts and worsening the issue.

You also have things like climate change, monopolies (groceries) etc causing inflation as well. So no, not 100% the fault of the government.

Nah it's all Trudeau printing money, man.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Nah it's all Trudeau printing money, man.

God I hate that guy! I wish there was somebody making witty bumper stickers that would advertise my feelings about him, and the money press he clearly has in his basement!

😏

• Haha 1

Just now, aGENT said:

God I hate that guy! I wish there was somebody making witty bumper stickers that would advertise my feelings about him, and the money press he clearly has in his basement!

😏

It's the simplistic narrative that's grating. 

Also how many times does PP get to be on the wrong end of an issue? He's really getting a free pass on a number of his stands.

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's the simplistic narrative that's grating. 

100%

People allowing themselves to be easily distracted by the side show.

I have zero desire to "hang" with Trudeau in my free time or anything, but the amount of crap pinned on the guy, individually, is just dumb and lazy. I can't believe how many people are so easily lead around.

• ThereItIs 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You obviously only know rich people in major cities.

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m trying to understand your point on this part. Is it your opinion that the dental plan only being an option for Canadians earning less than $90k is a good thing or a bad thing?

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Based on the last census, Median family income for 2 parent households is only slightly higher than $ 100, 000.  Meaning that a large, significant percentage of 2 parent households will be below $90,000.  For single parent households and Persons not in census families (like a single bachelor) the median income is under $60,000.  Again, a significant percentage of these people would qualify.

So yes, there will be people living in Van City or T.O. who will qualify.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=1110001201

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

The housing crisis isn’t caused by interest rate hikes either. It’s caused by terrible government policies over the last 30 years, from the municipal, provincial and federal levels.  If our supply met our demand we wouldn’t have a housing crisis, prices would remain low so interest rates wouldn’t be such a huge issue.  The reason interest rates are such a huge issue is because of the size of the mortgages due to the insane prices of homes.  If those prices were cut in half the mortgages would also be cut in half.  So it’s a vicious cycle that we can’t really get out of anymore unfortunately.  

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

My wife and I are retired, but luckily we have extended health plans through our former unions. We don't earn that amount. Therefore we don't need to apply for the National Plan. I know lots of folks who don't earn $90K, folks who have kids living and working from home as well. Yes, and I live in greater Vancouver. That's a pretty broad and condescending statement. No the plan isn't an option for all, but show me what PP would do for Canadians in the mean time. All I see from that clown is finger pointing, and marching with trucker convoy types. I guess "old stock" Canadians is a term his mentor used.

16% in the scheme of things, when the other two parties garner less than 45%.

$90k is total household income.  That includes both the wife and the husband.  Sorry, if it sounds condescending, but honestly if you are only making $45k a year and you live in Vancouver, that is borderline poverty level.  The minimum wage in BC is $16.75 per hour.  That works out to $35k per year.  Minimum wage is what a kid would make working at McDonalds.  If an actual family is only making $10k more per year per person and needs to feed the kids and pay the rent then that family is going to have a hard time living in Vancouver. Their teeth are going to be the least of their problems.  

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The housing crisis isn’t caused by interest rate hikes either. It’s caused by terrible government policies over the last 30 years, from the municipal, provincial and federal levels.  If our supply met our demand we wouldn’t have a housing crisis, prices would remain low so interest rates wouldn’t be such a huge issue.  The reason interest rates are such a huge issue is because of the size of the mortgages due to the insane prices of homes.  If those prices were cut in half the mortgages would also be cut in half.  So it’s a vicious cycle that we can’t really get out of anymore unfortunately.  

What are you talking about Petey? :classic_huh:

Haven't you been paying attention? As soon as we kick PM Hair Gel to the curb, all our troubles will magically go away....

Mr. "Freest country on earth" is on it.....

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

What are you talking about Petey? :classic_huh:

Haven't you been paying attention? As soon as we kick PM Hair Gel to the curb, all our troubles will magically go away....

Mr. "Freest country on earth" is on it.....

Haha.  I have a feeling even if Hair Gel dude is gone nothing will get fixed regardless.  Trust me, I am no fan of PP.  I voted for Hair Gel man in 2015, remember?  I don’t believe anyone has the capability of fixing our problems right now. Maybe in 10 years something good will happen. We will see…

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1