Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

I'm gonna have to back up Petey on this one, though.....there won't be too many families whose median income is under 90k......but IMO that's a good thing. We should prioritize lower income families.

I say this as someone who's fallen through the cracks myself. I could have really used this back in the day, but my dental plan sucked and I could not afford the work I needed. Now I'm above that 90k line, but it's too late to get the work done.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Haha.  I have a feeling even if Hair Gel dude is gone nothing will get fixed regardless.  Trust me, I am no fan of PP.  I voted for Hair Gel man in 2015, remember?  I don’t believe anyone has the capability of fixing our problems right now. Maybe in 10 years something good will happen. We will see…

It's funny, because I have never voted for him.....but if it comes down to a choice between him and PP, I'm on the Justin bandwagon.....

5 hours ago, Ralph. said:

You must do pretty well for yourself, and run in circles of people in similar positions. Definitely not a knock, always glad to see people succeed, especially fellow Canadians.

However, just because you don't know anyone with a household income under $90k annually doesn't mean they aren't common; there are a lot of them. Hell, my wife and I moved to the prairies and we're still under that line (albeit getting close now and increasing at a decent pace; probably above it in the next year or so). I'd estimate that probably (at least) 70% of the people I knew in Vancouver were below that line, with only a handful of them having any hope of getting above it any time soon. Vancouver and Toronto are rich cities, but wealth inequality is on full display there (but that's a whole other topic in itself). Lot of people get stuck in debt just paying for bills and groceries, never mind dental visits (if not covered by employer's insurance, which only only covers so much anyways). I'm personally just glad we left before getting stuck in that quagmire.

Making over $90k per year combined with the wife and husband is really nothing to brag about.  You aren’t making a great living in Vancouver with that kind of money.  I went for sushi last night and it was $50 just for myself.  I filled up my car and it was $95.  I went to Whole Foods and spent over $100 and came out with one bag of items.  Went to London Drugs to get some bathroom supplies and it was $65.  So I spent $310 in one day and don’t have much to show for it.  So, IMO, inflation is still there.  Not sure how people can say it isn’t around anymore.  I guess people are just getting used to the higher prices now. 

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm gonna have to back up Petey on this one, though.....there won't be too many families whose median income is under 90k......but IMO that's a good thing. We should prioritize lower income families.

I say this as someone who's fallen through the cracks myself. I could have really used this back in the day, but my dental plan sucked and I could not afford the work I needed. Now I'm above that 90k line, but it's too late to get the work done.

Thanks I appreciate that.  I don’t know why some get so offended if you just state facts.  I don’t think I was ever bragging about how much money I was making.  I didn’t even mention it.  And you are correct.  Lots of families are making over $90k per year.  Which is a good thing.  I have a nephew who makes $150k per year.  He’s a good kid and very smart.  Works in IT.  These kids today are smarter than us.  They know how to make money.  And they will need to in order to survive in this economy.  

I agree, we should definitely prioritize lower family incomes.  My point was basically that alot of people wouldn’t even qualify for the national dental plan.  Sure, it will help some and that is a good thing.  

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Making over $90k per year combined with the wife and husband is really nothing to brag about.  You aren’t making a great living in Vancouver with that kind of money.  I went for sushi last night and it was $50 just for myself.  I filled up my car and it was $95.  I went to Whole Foods and spent over $100 and came out with one bag of items.  Went to London Drugs to get some bathroom supplies and it was $65.  So I spent $310 in one day and don’t have much to show for it.  So, IMO, inflation is still there.  Not sure how people can say it isn’t around anymore.  I guess people are just getting used to the higher prices now. 

100% agree, it's definitely still around and squeezing folks. Pricing on some things is just insane.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So you think that a family making 100k year combined is considered being rich?  Rupert makes over $90k per year living in Prince Rupert.  I won’t speak for him but I would put money down that he doesn’t consider himself rich…

To clarify: I don't make over 90k. Between my wife and myself, we do.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Nah it's all Trudeau printing money, man.

Printing money and throwing it into the economy is the number #1 reason for inflation.  What happens when you print money?  Well, it circulates and people have more money in their pockets so they spend it.  Most people aren’t savers.  And when interest rates are low it doesn’t make sense to save, so people spend.  That causes supply to decrease and demand to increase. Simple economics tells you that when demand rises and supply shrinks prices go up.  This is what we refer to as inflation.

Rate hikes are the effect of inflation, not the actual cause.  The cause is the printing of the money.  Once rate hikes happen, that causes people stop spending and to save more as interest rates are now higher.  This in turn eventually causes a recession.  

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So you think that a family making 100k year combined is considered being rich?  Rupert makes over $90k per year living in Prince Rupert.  I won’t speak for him but I would put money down that he doesn’t consider himself rich…

You do realize there are lots of small towns in BC right?    I do know many family's that would kill to make $90,000 a year especially many retired people.

And no...... I don't consider my wife and I rich even though our combined income is close to $150,000 a year.  When my wife retires that will drop to $30,000 a year as Pharmacists have no pension plan.

My best friend who retired after being a teacher his whole career ....their income will be around $35-40,000 a year.  The same as my sister and her husband who has a pension from working a sawmill their income is even less than that.

Luckily my son works for the government and will have a good pension when he retires unless Pee Pee tries to take that away.

My point was you make it sound like every family makes $90,000 a year which is not even remotely true especially in small communities.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

22 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

You do realize there are lots of small towns in BC right?    I do know many family's that would kill to make $90,000 a year especially many retired people.

And no...... I don't consider my wife and I rich even though our combined income is close to $150,000 a year.  When my wife retires that will drop to $30,000 a year as Pharmacists have no pension plan.

My best friend who retired after being a teacher his whole career ....their income will be around $35-40,000 a year.  The same as my sister and her husband who has a pension from working a sawmill their income is even less than that.

Luckily my son works for the government and will have a good pension when he retires unless Pee Pee tries to take that away.

My point was you make it sound like every family makes $90,000 a year which is not even remotely true especially in small communities.

Sure, I understand your point.  Question for you.  How much does it cost to buy a house in one of those small communities?  The biggest issue for someone living in Vancouver is housing costs.  An average house in Vancouver cost almost $2 million to purchase.  What is the price of a house in a small town?  That will make a big difference in how you live and your retirement.  If you are making $40k per year in a small town where the price of a house is $500,000, that is a big difference between someone living in Vancouver making $100k per year but has to pay $1.8 million to purchase a house...

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure, I understand your point.  Question for you.  How much does it cost to buy a house in one of those small communities?  The biggest issue for someone living in Vancouver is housing costs.  An average house in Vancouver cost almost $2 million to purchase.  What is the price of a house in a small town?  That will make a big difference in how you live and your retirement.  If you are making $40k per year in a small town where the price of a house is $500,000, that is a big difference between someone living in Vancouver making $100k per year but has to pay $1.8 million to purchase a house...

Condos exist for a reason.

4 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

And yet he posts as if he knows the will of the people when it comes to housing needs.  :classic_laugh:

I can pretty much guarantee you that I know more about housing needs for the average person and housing in general than you do.  If you knew what I actually do for a living you wouldn't be so smug with me on this topic...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I’m trying to understand your point on this part. Is it your opinion that the dental plan only being an option for Canadians earning less than $90k is a good thing or a bad thing?

It's a good thing for people whose household income is less than $90k.  It's a bad thing for people who's household income is more than that.  I am sure people will say they don't care because people whose household income is over $100k are considered "rich".  But I can guarantee you that those people also need help.

The national dental plan is a start, but I don't think it's enough to move the needle when it comes to changing votes for an election...

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Printing money and throwing it into the economy is the number #1 reason for inflation.  What happens when you print money?  Well, it circulates and people have more money in their pockets so they spend it.  Most people aren’t savers.  And when interest rates are low it doesn’t make sense to save, so people spend.  That causes supply to decrease and demand to increase. Simple economics tells you that when demand rises and supply shrinks prices go up.  This is what we refer to as inflation.

Rate hikes are the effect of inflation, not the actual cause.  The cause is the printing of the money.  Once rate hikes happen, that causes people stop spending and to save more as interest rates are now higher.  This in turn eventually causes a recession.  

you don't need to try to explain inflation. 

The fact is, this is a global issue, not a Trudeau issue. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You can't buy a $500,000 house if you make $40,000 a year.  My son makes $80,000 a year would not qualify for a $500,000 mortgage.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I can pretty much guarantee you that I know more about housing needs for the average person and housing in general than you do.  If you knew what I actually do for a living you wouldn't be so smug with me on this topic...

That is a very smug answer:hurhur:

I don't think you do understand the average person.  Perhaps you do in a big city but not in smaller communities.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

That is a very smug answer:hurhur:

I don't think you do understand the average person.  Perhaps you do in a big city but not in smaller communities.

Next to the barbaric belief system, the elitist attitude is what I dislike most about PP apologists.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

No...not anymore.

I remember, back in the day, it was tough to get full time work at major retailers as after a certain amount of hours they had to pay extended medical and dental. For that reason they made sure the majority of their workers were under that amount to avoid the extra expense. 

2 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I remember, back in the day, it was tough to get full time work at major retailers as after a certain amount of hours they had to pay extended medical and dental. For that reason they made sure the majority of their workers were under that amount to avoid the extra expense. 

It is still that way unfortunately.