Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

On 12/13/2023 at 1:21 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

The housing crisis isn’t caused by interest rate hikes either. It’s caused by terrible government policies over the last 30 years, from the municipal, provincial and federal levels.  If our supply met our demand we wouldn’t have a housing crisis, prices would remain low so interest rates wouldn’t be such a huge issue.  The reason interest rates are such a huge issue is because of the size of the mortgages due to the insane prices of homes.  If those prices were cut in half the mortgages would also be cut in half.  So it’s a vicious cycle that we can’t really get out of anymore unfortunately.  

Consider how much interest rate hikes have to be for the government of Canada to sell their bonds. 

On 12/13/2023 at 6:43 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Young voters are turning on Trudeau and the Liberals (msn.com)

The country’s youth voters are turning

The Liberals were trailing behind the Conservatives by 21 points among those between the ages of 30 to 44, which was to be expected. However, the major shock in the data came from the Conservative’s 12-point lead with youth voters. 

Max Fawcett is a journalist with the National Observer and he explained that the survey data was a “stunning turn of events” since it was the country’s youth voters that ushered Trudeau into power in the 2015 federal election. 

Fawcett also pointed out that in an ironic turnaround, the political party once favored by younger voters was now most popular with the country’s Baby Boomers. However, it was not by much according to the polling from Abacus Data. 

Nearly one-quarter of Canadians aged 18 to 29 (24%) planned to vote for the Liberals in the next federal election while 25% of those aged 60 and over planned to cast their vote for Trudeau and his Liberals. 

Interestingly, 36% of voters aged 18 to 29 would vote for the Conservatives in the next federal elections and 24% would vote for the New Democratic Party (NDP). 45% of those over 60 would vote for the Conservatives while only 16% for the NDP. 

“I don't know that I've seen more challenging numbers for an incumbent in Canada since 1993,” former Abacus Data chair and current company pollster Bruce Anderson explained to the National Observer. But what’s going on to cause Trudeau's issues?

As with all things bothering Canadians today, the major issues in the country are all related to the money problems people are facing. The rising cost of living, housing affordability, healthcare, and the economy were the top four issues for those polled. 

Unfortunately for Trudeau, if voters had to choose someone to manage the country’s growing problems then they would opt for Pierre Poilievre according to Abacus Data CEO David Coletto, which isn’t good for the prime minister's re-election prospects. 

“Whether it’s the cost of living, housing, healthcare, or the economy— the Conservative Party and the Conservative leader has a big advantage over the Liberals,” Coletto said. “Even on climate change, Trudeau’s advantage over Poilievre is limited.”

“As scarcity becomes the primary concern for most people, the Conservatives have appealed more to these voters and find themselves in the most favorable position they have been in a long time,” Coletto continued. 

Coletto added that the Conservatives under Poilievre had the largest national lead that Abacus Data has recorded since it began tracking the information. The Liberals were trailing in every demographic and every region of the country. 

In Atlantic Canada, Poilievre's Conservatives lead Trudeau's Liberals by 15 points while Ontario saw a 15-point lead and Quebec a 4-point lead. Conservative support was strongest in Western Canada where the party saw at least a 30-point lead or more in all four provinces.

My son at 40 is a big PP fan. He does go on the CPC websites and reads their platform. This is a kid who has never been particularly political. He works in health care and says it is breaking down in a major way. He likes PP social media stuff. 

Somewhat comical as the left demands that PP flesh out his direction and platform as much as 2 years in advance of an election. I doubt he will do that. Maybe a more critical review of what Trudeau has actually done or has not done would also be in order. The country is in a serious mess and Canadians have to openly debate where this country is going. The #1 issue is debt at all levels of government. Start there. Shutdown the dream factories.

What I say to my son is that is generation has to take up the reins. As a boomer my time is done and new leadership has to take over.  

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I think Freeland would do an excellent job but the inbred morons who think PP is an acceptable candidate won't understand that.  Competence isn't a priority for those "people".

Carnage is a terrible choice. He is such a a progressive extremest he makes Trudeau look almost normal. As for Ms twitchy I'm still trying to figure out if she has tourrettes or is a crackhead. No sane person acts like she does

10 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

Carnage is a terrible choice. He is such a a progressive extremest he makes Trudeau look almost normal. As for Ms twitchy I'm still trying to figure out if she has tourrettes or is a crackhead. No sane person acts like she does

Come on, you could have given Trudeau a nickname too.

You were on a roll. 

15 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

Wut? You mean the guy that ran two central banks is a lefty extremist to you?

1 minute ago, Spring Salmon said:

I wouldn't worry. I don't think they're into soy that much

Thank god.

They should stay away from my Tofu. It's very difficult to track and hunt. 

Though you seem ok. I found some great stuff at Kamakazi sushi in Woodgrove. I highly recommend. Not far from Qualicum. I know your hood is mostly seniors so they might like it...tofu is soft...you know with the lack of teeth and all.

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thank god.

They should stay away from my Tofu. It's very difficult to track and hunt. 

Though you seem ok. I found some great stuff at Kamakazi sushi in Woodgrove. I highly recommend. Not far from Qualicum. I know your hood is mostly seniors so they might like it...tofu is soft...you know with the lack of teeth and all.

Your tofu is safe. Every one is waiting for their 87th birthday so they can get some new teeth from Jag and eat steak 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Spring Salmon said:

Your tofu is safe. Every one is waiting for their 87th birthday so they can get some new teeth from Jag and eat steak 

86 year old people maybe.  The rest of us have to be a little more patient.  While we wait there will be plenty of time for half truths and name calling. 

Applications will first open to eligible seniors aged 87 and older. Applications for other age groups will then be phased in with a staggered approach, with the process opening up to all eligible applicants aged 18 and above sometime in 2025.