Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

54 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I refuse to use Amazon as Bezos has enough money and the employees get treated like shit.  I only use Walmart for toilet paper and paper towels.

I certainly understand why people use them though because of money being tight.

I went to Woodgrove Mall the other day and it was packed......same as Canadian Tire and Rona.

Restaurants are all packed also.  Bayview Brewery in Ladysmith is full from about noon til 7pm.

My son is off today and went shopping and said it was a gong show everywhere in Victoria.

Hell yeah!

I have never ordered anything online!

Now, my damn little old mum on the other hand.

2 hours ago, 24K said:

For small level production like medical devices it is another equation as you won’t be able to take advantage of economic of scale woth offshoring.

Sorry what? 

2 hours ago, 24K said:

High tech also as low cost area lack the expertise needed but that is changing with the amount of engineers China and India pump out. 

Just not the case for anything advanced.

2 hours ago, 24K said:

You gonna need a heck ton of small run products to have a meaningful boom in manufacturing in NA. 

Again, I think you don't understand that most manufacturers are SMEs under 500 employees.

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Sorry what? 

Medical device production is peanuts compared to things like iPhone or semiconductors. 

Just not the case for anything advanced.

I think I know more about high tech manufacturing as I work in cutting edge semiconductors. Something way more advanced than medical devices. I know what I am talking about with regards to high tech manufacturing. 

Again, I think you don't understand that most manufacturers are SMEs under 500 employees.

And? First of all 500 is a lot of employees already and that salary adds up. To make manufacturing in NA make sense we need to be talking about manufacturing with like less than 50 employees having the same output as Foxconn for it to make sense for large productions. 

I mean I am all for more manufacturing in Canada but I am just gonna temper expectations that it would be some economic boom as number of employees that would be hired for such operations ain't gonna move the scale much and there is only so much that can be produced that make sense. 

7 minutes ago, 24K said:

Medical device production is peanuts compared to things like iPhone or semiconductors. 

I think I know more about high tech manufacturing as I work in cutting edge semiconductors. Something way more advanced than medical devices. I know what I am talking about with regards to high tech manufacturing. 

You clearly don't know what you're talking about in this area 

7 minutes ago, 24K said:

And? First of all 500 is a lot of employees already and that salary adds up. To make manufacturing in NA make sense we need to be talking about manufacturing with like less than 50 employees having the same output as Foxconn for it to make sense for large productions. 

I mean I am all for more manufacturing in Canada but I am just gonna temper expectations that it would be some economic boom as number of employees that would be hired for such operations ain't gonna move the scale much and there is only so much that can be produced that make sense. 

Yea ok. Lets all work for door dash.

On 12/15/2023 at 1:46 PM, bishopshodan said:

I think two terms for the Cons then we swing back the other way, getting nowhere really.

We really need to break this cycle of abuse.

23 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Restaurants are all packed also.  Bayview Brewery in Ladysmith is full from about noon til 7pm.

🍺

• Cheers 1

On 12/15/2023 at 2:43 PM, The Arrogant Worms said:

I refuse to use Amazon as Bezos has enough money and the employees get treated like shit.  I only use Walmart for toilet paper and paper towels.

I certainly understand why people use them though because of money being tight.

I went to Woodgrove Mall the other day and it was packed......same as Canadian Tire and Rona.

My son is off today and went shopping and said it was a gong show everywhere in Victoria.

Yeah, I generally don't do much shopping at all from December 5th thru Boxing day as it is absurdly congested. I ventured out thursday hoping things like Costco would be more quiet than say a saturday: and likely it was but I was still lined up almost to the back wall in the cashier lineup when I was done jostling my way through the crowded store. My take away is the divide between middle class and poor is starting to be thought of as the divide between Rich and Poor was discussed in the 80s and 90s. 
My family is fortunate, most of my nephews and nieces and all my siblings are home owners. We are comfortable, with some anomalies here and there, as in all families. What sucks is friends i graduated high school with earn less in a year than I squirreled away in the last 3 months alone. it has me concerned for the lowest income brackets in Canada, but more determined than ever to help them join the middle class. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/massive-asking-rent-increase-year-over-year

Hmmm higher interest rates are causing inflation on rents... What @Elias Pettersson?! 😏

Where exactly in that article does it say that rising interest rates are a direct cause of rising rents?  That’s just a big assumption on your part as well as the author of the article who doesn’t have a clue.  Even the realtor in the article stated this:

“I’ve certainly noticed an uptick in tenanted properties for sale,” he said. “The irony is that tenants with ultra-cheap rent are often evicted because their landlord is underwater and forced to sell. It’s sort of a lose-lose.”

An uptick in tenanted properties for sale?  What does that mean?  It means that the supply for tenanted properties is DECREASING because Landlords are being forced to sell their investment properties because of the higher rates, which takes those rental properties off the market.  A double whammy is that those tenants paying below market rents because they have been in their homes for 5+ years are now forced to go out into the market and get a new place at 2023 market rates.  Which is why a lot of tenants are seeing their rents double this year.

At the very most, rents are indirectly affected by interest rate increases as Landlords are taking rental properties off the market.  But the absolute #1 reason for increase in rents is a lack of supply of rental properties.  This is mainly due to immigration policies and other government policies in regards to the housing crisis and not having enough rental properties out there to match the demand.  The vacancy rate in Vancouver for tenanted properties in 0.9%.  That’s almost zero.  Meanwhile, immigration is at an all time high.  So where are all of these immigrants supposed to live?  Maybe the government should have figured out the supply issue of rental homes before setting such a high number for immigration into Canada.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Where exactly in that article does it say that rising interest rates are a direct cause of rising rents?  

This is happening as Canada hikes interest rates at the fastest pace in 40 years, according to the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation. It’s creating a shock for many homeowners, including landlords, at mortgage renewal time.

The current environment with population growth, rental rate inflation, rising interest rates, and spiking mortgage payments has everyone feeling stretched, Realtor Jeff Appelbe told Daily Hive this week. Everything is increasing but wages, he said, and it’s a “recipe for disaster.”

Owner's mortgage costs go up. Owner either raises rent to cover the inflation on their higher mortgage costs, or if they can't (rental rate increases max out at 3.5%), sells to new owner who charges inflated rent to cover their increased mortgage costs.

Seriously, are your still arguing this? 

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This is happening as Canada hikes interest rates at the fastest pace in 40 years, according to the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation. It’s creating a shock for many homeowners, including landlords, at mortgage renewal time.

The current environment with population growth, rental rate inflation, rising interest rates, and spiking mortgage payments has everyone feeling stretched, Realtor Jeff Appelbe told Daily Hive this week. Everything is increasing but wages, he said, and it’s a “recipe for disaster.”

Owner's mortgage costs go up. Owner either raises rent to cover the inflation on their higher mortgage costs, or if they can't (rental rate increases max out at 3.5%), sells to new owner who charges inflated rent to cover their increased mortgage costs.

Seriously, are your still arguing this? 

Not every property that is considered a rental property is owned by some one off Landlord with a rising mortgage rate.  Are you actually aware of this?  There are thousands of rental properties that are out there that are apartment buildings owned by corporations.  There is also market and below market housing that is owned and controlled by the government.  These properties aren’t affected by rising interest rates.  They are affected by supply versus demand. Because of immigration policies there is lack of supply of these kinds of properties.  

Also, owners don’t necessarily sell to new Landlords.  You obviously are not in the real estate business. Why would a buyer purchase a property that is currently rented and being sold because that owner can’t cover his mortgage and then purchase that same property to take over a tenant that is paying below market rents and so therefore can’t cover the mortgage?  You do realize that you can’t kick a tenant out and re-rent to a new tenant at market rents right?

The fact of the matter is all of these properties that are under water as rental properties are being sold to buyers who are moving in, so they are no longer rental properties, which shrinks the demand of rental housing.  A lack of supply of rental housing is the absolute main reason for rising rental rates.  Increases in mortgage rates is an indirect result. 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not every property that is considered a rental property is owned by some one off Landlord with a rising mortgage rate.  Are you actually aware of this?  There are thousands of rental properties that are out there that are apartment buildings owned by corporations.  There is also market and below market housing that is owned and controlled by the government.  These properties aren’t affected by rising interest rates.  They are affected by supply versus demand. Because of immigration policies there is lack of supply of these kinds of properties.  

Also, owners don’t necessarily sell to new Landlords.  You obviously are not in the real estate business. Why would a buyer purchase a property that is currently rented and being sold because that owner can’t cover his mortgage and then purchase that same property to take over a tenant that is paying below market rents and so therefore can’t cover the mortgage?  You do realize that you can’t kick a tenant out and re-rent to a new tenant at market rents right?

The fact of the matter is all of these properties that are under water as rental properties are being sold to buyers who are moving in, so they are no longer rental properties, which shrinks the demand of rental housing.  A lack of supply of rental housing is the absolute main reason for rising rental rates.  Increases in mortgage rates is an indirect result. 

Reno -viction... "Personal use" etc... Happens ALL the time. It's ok to admit you're wrong.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Reno -viction... "Personal use" etc... Happens ALL the time. It's ok to admit you're wrong.

I’m not wrong my friend. Sorry. I literally do this stuff for a living. And I provided ample evidence to back it up that you haven’t even been able to counter. 

Let me give you one more piece of evidence so I can get my Obama mic drop. Did you know that rental prices actually dropped in the month of October?  How could that be when mortgage rates are still through the roof?  

It’s because of the new BC government legislation coming out that restricts short term rentals. Airbnb will basically be banned in condos now. So guess what happened?  

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/vancouver-rent-price-october-2023#:~:text=Vancouver still leads the way,respectively%2C on an annual basis.

Cooling weather and a sudden surge in rental listings pushed down rental prices in B.C. last month. 

Urbanation, which analyzes monthly listings on the Rentals.ca website, shows that October rents for one- and two-bedroom apartments in Vancouver fell about 3.5 per cent, and roughly two per cent in Burnaby.

“Legislation has had a big impact,” said David Aizikov, a senior data analyst at Rentals.ca, although he cautioned that the impact was “just a temporary shift.”

New legislation introduced by the B.C. NDP in October aims to rein in short-term rentals in the province. The law increases fines and bans most short-term rentals that aren’t in a rental operator’s principal residence.

That month, Vancouver listings on Rentals.ca jumped 41 per cent, Aizikov said, calling it a “direct impact” of the proposed legislation. The “vast majority” of those new listings were condominium apartments, he added.

So basically supply of rental units in condos goes up 41% in October and rent prices all of a sudden drop 3.5%. Even with sky high interest rates. I wonder why that is?  

It’s obviously only a short term fix as supply will ultimately shrink again but this is 100% proof that if you bump up supply even temporarily rent prices will drop, doesn’t matter what level interest and mortgage rates are at. 

IMG_0328.gif

• Cheers 1

Looks like we won't have to wait two more years for an election...

Most voters still say Trudeau should resign — and expect an election in 2024 (msn.com)

Most voters still say Trudeau should resign — and expect an election in 2024

A majority of Canadians again said in December that it’s time for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to step aside from this role and as leader of the Liberal Party, but most don’t believe he will do it.

And over half of Canadians think there will be an election next year.

The new polling done by Ipsos exclusively for Global News found that 69 per cent of Canadians feel Trudeau should resign as Liberal leader and prime minister. The finding comes after earlier polling by Ipsos for Global News done between Nov. 14 and 17 suggested 72 per cent of Canadians felt the same, marking a three-point decrease in the sentiment but within the poll's margin of error.

Ipsos CEO Darrell Bricker said they followed up with respondents on why they think Trudeau should step aside. He said that while some just never liked the prime minister to begin with, things got more interesting when past Liberal voters shared their thoughts.

“When you start poking away at it among people who actually say they voted for him or supported him in the past, their view is one or two things. One is his time has come and gone. He's given a service and it's really Canada just needs a change,” Bricker said.

“And then there's another group among his supporters that say, not this time, because I don't think he can win and we need to do whatever we can to stop Pierre Poilievre.”

There is regional unity among the consensus that Trudeau should go, according to Bricker. While he says this has historically been the case in the Prairies and parts of B.C., the sentiment is seeping into areas traditionally more favourable to the Liberals.

“What we're seeing now is this has seeped into Ontario and Quebec and even in Atlantic Canada,” Bricker said.

“This time around it just seems like people are either tired or they don't think he's got what it takes in order to be able to defeat his opponents.”

While almost seven in 10 Canadians think Trudeau should step down, 63 per cent see that as being unlikely according to the poll.

Trudeau has remained steadfast that he intends to lead the Liberals into the next election whenever he’s been asked about the topic.

Lori Turnbull at Dalhousie University says there’s likely not too much worry in the Liberal tent with the next election not scheduled until fall 2025 and the supply-and-confidence deal with the NDP still intact. However, if this trend endures, she says it will be harder to shift their electoral fortunes.

“We are in this world of wedge politics where it's very much about the person, it's very much about, 'You're on my team or you're not,'” Turnbull said.

“So, when the person's brand sours, it's harder for voters to pivot because if they were in the party because of the person, because of that brand, where do you go if you don't like that brand? It doesn't mean you're going to like somebody else's brand.”

Canadians appear to expect to go to the polls next year, with 59 per cent thinking an election is likely in 2024. Only 29 per cent don’t think this will be the case and the remaining 13 per cent said they don’t know if there will be a vote.

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Fuck, Trudeau looks like Castro much more than he does his supposed father, right down to the nose and the eyebrows.  If he wants to run in the next election, he should be subjected to a DNA test...

Oh you want to believe.. They do look similar, almost seems like a photoshop on top right picture.

The Castro nose's look different to me on the lower two pictures.

Raises a question though. Should politicians have to prove who their parents are as you suggest?

I am criticized for being a perpetual downer on Canada which is not totally inaccurate. My kneejerk reaction is not to defend the status quo but look for improvement and criticize those who do not contribute towards improvement. In that light a recently watched a Ted Talk dates October 2023 by Cathie Wood of ARK Investment fame. Her talk was largely to do with how technology gains in the near future will save our civilization. AI and the platforms it operates on will increase productivity, wages, margins and bring back deflation and thusly lower inflation. Her anticipated scale of change is dramatic. Current global GDP runs at 

2 - 3 % per annum. Woods thinks that will increase to 6 - 9% per annum. 

An increase in world GDP at the scale Woods anticipates, within 5 years, will change world economics. It will transform the debt threat that I fear most in world affairs. Currently Canada's GDP has zero growth which absolutely destroys all preconceived scenarios on sustainability. If Canada can capture the anticipated benefits of AI and thusly generate GDP growth on the scale Woods visualizes then good times ahead.  

• Like 1