Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Fuck, Trudeau looks like Castro much more than he does his supposed father, right down to the nose and the eyebrows.  If he wants to run in the next election, he should be subjected to a DNA test...

Be careful what you wish for, if he really was Castros kid he's unite the left 

• ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Fuck, Trudeau looks like Castro much more than he does his supposed father, right down to the nose and the eyebrows.  If he wants to run in the next election, he should be subjected to a DNA test...

Or how about voters being subject to an IQ test....

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/justin-trudeau-is-fidel-castros-love-child/

....no head-of-state level visit took place between Cuba and Canada in 1970. (These things typically make big news.) The first time Castro and the Trudeaus met face-to-face was a famous trip made by the Canadian couple to Cuba in 1976. This event has been chronicled, along with some purportedly saucy comments, in a book that has been cited by many of the Trudeau-truthers to suggest sexual attraction between Margaret and Fidel. But even if true that facet is a red herring, as Justin had been born well before the 1976 meeting.

I can't believe there are still people who get sucked in by that fake photo....:picard:

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am criticized for being a perpetual downer on Canada which is not totally inaccurate. My kneejerk reaction is not to defend the status quo but look for improvement and criticize those who do not contribute towards improvement. In that light a recently watched a Ted Talk dates October 2023 by Cathie Wood of ARK Investment fame. Her talk was largely to do with how technology gains in the near future will save our civilization. AI and the platforms it operates on will increase productivity, wages, margins and bring back deflation and thusly lower inflation. Her anticipated scale of change is dramatic. Current global GDP runs at 

2 - 3 % per annum. Woods thinks that will increase to 6 - 9% per annum. 

An increase in world GDP at the scale Woods anticipates, within 5 years, will change world economics. It will transform the debt threat that I fear most in world affairs. Currently Canada's GDP has zero growth which absolutely destroys all preconceived scenarios on sustainability. If Canada can capture the anticipated benefits of AI and thusly generate GDP growth on the scale Woods visualizes then good times ahead.  

I think a lot of us feel the same B.....where we disagree is that Pierre Pollievre would be the one to improve things....

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am criticized for being a perpetual downer on Canada which is not totally inaccurate. My kneejerk reaction is not to defend the status quo but look for improvement and criticize those who do not contribute towards improvement. In that light a recently watched a Ted Talk dates October 2023 by Cathie Wood of ARK Investment fame. Her talk was largely to do with how technology gains in the near future will save our civilization. AI and the platforms it operates on will increase productivity, wages, margins and bring back deflation and thusly lower inflation. Her anticipated scale of change is dramatic. Current global GDP runs at 

2 - 3 % per annum. Woods thinks that will increase to 6 - 9% per annum. 

An increase in world GDP at the scale Woods anticipates, within 5 years, will change world economics. It will transform the debt threat that I fear most in world affairs. Currently Canada's GDP has zero growth which absolutely destroys all preconceived scenarios on sustainability. If Canada can capture the anticipated benefits of AI and thusly generate GDP growth on the scale Woods visualizes then good times ahead.  

So... Who's better in government to capture that? Can any of them?

There's likely going to be more household debt reckoning coming next year as well, just way too much household debt out there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m not wrong my friend. Sorry. I literally do this stuff for a living. And I provided ample evidence to back it up that you haven’t even been able to counter. 

Let me give you one more piece of evidence so I can get my Obama mic drop. Did you know that rental prices actually dropped in the month of October?  How could that be when mortgage rates are still through the roof?  

It’s because of the new BC government legislation coming out that restricts short term rentals. Airbnb will basically be banned in condos now. So guess what happened?  

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/vancouver-rent-price-october-2023#:~:text=Vancouver still leads the way,respectively%2C on an annual basis.

Cooling weather and a sudden surge in rental listings pushed down rental prices in B.C. last month. 

Urbanation, which analyzes monthly listings on the Rentals.ca website, shows that October rents for one- and two-bedroom apartments in Vancouver fell about 3.5 per cent, and roughly two per cent in Burnaby.

“Legislation has had a big impact,” said David Aizikov, a senior data analyst at Rentals.ca, although he cautioned that the impact was “just a temporary shift.”

New legislation introduced by the B.C. NDP in October aims to rein in short-term rentals in the province. The law increases fines and bans most short-term rentals that aren’t in a rental operator’s principal residence.

That month, Vancouver listings on Rentals.ca jumped 41 per cent, Aizikov said, calling it a “direct impact” of the proposed legislation. The “vast majority” of those new listings were condominium apartments, he added.

So basically supply of rental units in condos goes up 41% in October and rent prices all of a sudden drop 3.5%. Even with sky high interest rates. I wonder why that is?  

It’s obviously only a short term fix as supply will ultimately shrink again but this is 100% proof that if you bump up supply even temporarily rent prices will drop, doesn’t matter what level interest and mortgage rates are at. 

IMG_0328.gif

Except I wasn't the one making this a black and white argument. I never suggested that supply and demand doesn't also effect pricing.

Interest rates are ALSO effecting pricing. Just like they are for actual home owners living in their homes.

Again, currently, interest rates are our single biggest driver of inflation (housing and debt interest costs). All your oversimplified, mic dropping isn't going to change that.

Further to that, interest rates are also effecting housing starts, which will only worsen the supply and demand issue.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7060588

Bigger urban centres in particular are struggling. In Montreal, the rate of starts was down 30 per cent, while Toronto and Vancouver both saw a drop of 39 per cent, driven significantly by a reduction in new multi-unit dwellings, according to CMHC. 

Moffatt said these trends are a reflection of economic struggles and high interest rates. 

"A lot of the declines in housing starts have to do with economic conditions, particularly for apartment construction. You need to finance these projects upfront, right? And that's a huge capital cost and with higher interest rates, a lot of builders and developers are just staying on the sidelines."

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

That might be just a tad harsh....I'd settle for the official Opposition, or even better, a back bench....

Rather than wish anyone dead, I'd far rather have voters take a sober, informed and logical look at our government and not simply continue our emotional, reactionary, decades old trend of voting out one "bad" government, for an even worse one.

Frankly all three parties could stand better leadership.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Rather than wish anyone dead, I'd far rather have voters take a sober, informed and logical look at our government and not simply continue our emotional, reactionary, decades old trend of voting out one "bad" government, for an even worse one.

Frankly all three parties could stand better leadership.

We might have a better chance of Heffy's solution happening....

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Is it PP you dislike specifically Hef? You kinda said the same thing about O'Toole and Scheer. Do you have shares in a funeral home?

They weren't great, but they weren't nearly as evil as PP.  I'm a utilitarian, so if someone is more valuable dead than alive, that's going to be my preference.

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nah - Trudeau was conceived years before his family met the Castros. It's actually Michel who was Castro's kid. :classic_ninja:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Or how about voters being subject to an IQ test....

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/justin-trudeau-is-fidel-castros-love-child/

I can't believe there are still people who get sucked in by that fake photo....:picard:

Margaret could have easily snuck out to Cuba to meet her lover in a private jet. I don’t care what some dude in his basement says about his fact checking. Trudeau needs to agree to a DNA test. 

Asking for the Prime Minister to take a DNA test seems to be much more humane and politically correct than wishing death upon the opposition leader. 

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Margaret could have easily snuck out to Cuba to meet her lover in a private jet. I don’t care what some dude in his basement says about his fact checking. Trudeau needs to agree to a DNA test. 

Asking for the Prime Minister to take a DNA test seems to be much more humane and politically correct than wishing death upon the opposition leader. 

You don't have to spend much time in Trail to learn Margaret enjoyed the NY Rangers more than Fidel. Maybe he crashed one of their parties.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He doesn't need to agree to do anything of the sort. Even if Trudeau senior isn't his biological father (which is a stretch as it is), it makes no material difference, and frankly isn't any of our business who his father is.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The PM isn't a monarch.  Who someone's biological parents are is irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Oh you want to believe.. They do look similar, almost seems like a photoshop on top right picture.

The Castro nose's look different to me on the lower two pictures.

Raises a question though. Should politicians have to prove who their parents are as you suggest?

Yes. Someone mentioned that those pictures were photoshopped. So I looked around the internet and pulled Castro’s picture from his Wikipedia page. Then I pulled Pierre’s picture from 1968. Then I pulled Justin’s picture from when he was a similar age as his father. Here they are. You tell me who Justin’s real father is. 

Fidel had great hair too just like Justin. Pierre is literally going bald. 

IMG_0332.jpeg

IMG_0335.jpeg

IMG_0336.jpeg

Edited by Elias Pettersson

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes. Someone mentioned that those pictures were photoshopped. So I looked around the internet and pulled Castro’s picture from his Wikipedia page. Then I pulled Pierre’s picture from 1968. Then I pulled Justin’s picture from when he was a similar age as his father. Here they are. You tell me who Justin’s real father is. 

IMG_0332.jpeg

IMG_0335.jpeg

IMG_0336.jpeg

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm so glad that the US isn't the only place that has to deal with "birthers".....

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The PM isn't a monarch.  Who someone's biological parents are is irrelevant.

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

IMG_0332.jpeg

IMG_0335.jpeg

IMG_0336.jpeg

Well you've got me convinced.   I never really believed that Stomping Tom Connors theory anyway.  Thanks for clearing this all up.

EDIT - not sure how Heffy was quoted...

Edited by Satchmo

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

IMG_0332.jpeg

IMG_0335.jpeg

IMG_0336.jpeg

Oh thosewere photoshoped? i got it right!

Gotta say... the face shape ...jaw & cheek bones ( even nose) look like Pierre.

I'd like to see Castro without the beard, I think it might reveal a pointer chin too.

I mean, its all a bit of fun and Castro for sure has a similar look to JT but even just based on these hand picked photos...

I give the nod and to answer your question....Pierre, Pierre is JT's dad.

My dad went bald too....my bro and I have not. 

Wait a min....maybe Castro is my dad!?!?!

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He doesn't need to agree to do anything of the sort. Even if Trudeau senior isn't his biological father (which is a stretch as it is), it makes no material difference, and frankly isn't any of our business who his father is.

At least Petey is consistent and goes hard on the salacious gossip stuff. If memory serves he believed that the “Berard’s mom” story was the most likely to be true as well.

Next up Bruce Springsteen and Woody Allen - brothers from another mother?

IMG_0552.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

At least Petey is consistent and goes hard on the salacious gossip stuff. If memory serves he believed that the “Berard’s mom” story was the most likely to be true as well.

Next up Bruce Springsteen and Woody Allen - brothers from another mother?

IMG_0552.jpeg

Damn, another conspiracy theory I have to investigate!!  🤨

• Haha 1

First part of 2024 'is not going to feel good': Macklem

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/first-part-of-2024-is-not-going-to-feel-good-macklem-1.2013201

Bank of Canada Governor Tiff Macklem says interest rates will likely come down at some point in 2024 in what he predicts will be a transitional year for the Canadian economy.

In an exclusive interview with BNN Bloomberg’s Amanda Lang, Macklem predicted rates might begin to come down “sometime in 2024,” but did not provide a more detailed timeline.

“We're very focused on core inflation,” he said in the television interview set to air Friday, adding that the central bank will need to see “a number of months with sustained downward momentum in core inflation” before it cuts interest rates.

“(If) you look at our projection, it's some time next year, but I'm not going to put it on a calendar.”

That falls in line with economists’ predictions for rate cuts in the second or third quarter of 2024.