Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Johngould21 said:

As well as the fast cats, that the right wing media brings up every election. Site C has more than made up for that.

One thing that seldom gets mentioned about the fast cats is- well prior to the auction, the Washington Marine Group offered to buy them from the govt/ferries.

The Libs turned down that offer, then left the cats tied to the dock, in full public view.

WMG offered considerably more than they eventually paid at the auction table.

So both sides screwed the taxpayer.

• Cheers 1

Add in- I do not blame the shipyard in any way.

Multiple times some ferry guy or government dude would come up with an idea, and get the plans/design  changed to incorporate their stupidity.

Shipyard -Sure we could put in a spiral staircase, but it will cost more than you think:

1 for the stair case itself

2 because you are going to need bigger engines to move all the extra weight.

Oh- you want us to add the weight, but keep the same engines? Well you are the customer. So sure we will do it.

It got so bad that Ferries put out a memo telling the employees that  no crew over 225 lbs need apply for a job on the ships.-Guess they'd never heard of human rights issues.

And they weighed all the manuals on the bridge, as well as told the employees to empty their lockers at the end of their shift.

17 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I love how the anti-Trudeau people post debt numbers  as a criticism....

....as if a global pandemic never happened. :classic_rolleyes:

I didn't know we had a pandemic since 2015!

:parrot:

I love how pro Trudeau people defend him no matter what he does.

• Cheers 3

16 hours ago, The Lock said:

I just hate propaganda charts. What got me were them purposely adding the 1st 100 years to it. Whoever made that chart @Heretic posted knew what they were doing and did it for malicious purposes.

Yes, that was posted on LinkedIn, but the link I posted is real - here's a screen shot of that:

Screenshot 2023-12-25 065839.png

On 12/24/2023 at 1:26 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

The NDP under Glen Clark were literally being run like a Mafia crime family.  They had more scandals than any other party in Canadian political history. They literally lost every seat but two in the 2001 election.  It was the worst political defeat ever in BC political history and the second worst in Canadian Provincial history. 

As for this current federal NDP government keeping the other parties in check, I don’t see anything that Jagmeet Singh is doing that would support that statement.  All Jagmeet Singh is doing is making sure that he is staying relevant in politics by siding with the Liberals so an election can’t be called.  

He should do the right thing and stop his alliance with the Liberals so that an election can be called in 2024.  The majority of Canadians don’t want Trudeau around anymore which is reflected in every single poll.  As time goes by the polls get worse for Trudeau not better.  He actually should resign so that he can try and save his party from embarrassment in the next election, but his ego is too big to do that, so Trudeau will be taking the Liberals with him when their ship sinks like the Titanic.

Hence why I said a strong NDP is needed, Jagmeet is not that guy. 

• Vintage 1

Here's a good topic to discuss.

Why don't politicians have some sort of certification/license?

Trades people need to be certified.  Doctors need to go to Med school and pass an exam.  Lawyers need a law degree and pass an exam.  
Many other professionals as well.

If they mess up - they are held accountable and can even lose their license.

Why not politicians?  

Edited by Heretic
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Here's a good topic to discuss.

Why don't politicians have some sort of certification/license?

Trades people need to be certified.  Doctors need to go to Med school and pass an exam.  Lawyers need a law degree and pass an exam.  
Many other professionals as well.

If they mess up - they are held accountable and can even lose their license.

Why not politicians?  

Great idea. Who writes the exams? Is it a everyone passes exercise like the public school system? Today it is more like whoever takes out the taxpayers cheque book and starts writing cheques gets the gold star.  

20 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Yes a pandemic happened and he went around throwing away money like a fat kid in a convenience store.  Worst PM in Canadian history, absolutely crippled this country.  

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Yes a pandemic happened and he went around throwing away money like a fat kid in a convenience store.  Worst PM in Canadian history, absolutely crippled this country.  

revisionist history.

The money spent was agreed to by more than just the 2 party coalition(ist) government.

2 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

Agreed

"In the end, the bill received all-party support, but it passed on division during second reading after Conservative MP Michael Chong voiced his opposition."

I'm sure @Bob Long can provide way more detail, than I found with 30 seconds of effort.

58 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Country is doing just fine. In the top 5 economies in 2023. 
Stop listening to PP the sky is falling. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

Weren't all the politicians calling themselves Team Canada at that time?   And all coming together to deal with a deadly virus the like of which the world had not seen for about 100 years? 

I am no great fan of Trudeau.   Neither am I a great fan of 'alternative facts'.   I can blame him for a number of things but far short of all thigs.

Can you name a country - apart from North Korea maybe - that did not spend a lot of money dealing with Covid?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

22 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Well, lockdowns did nothing for us, other than cause folks to lose their homes, businesses, careers and mental health.  
As well as creating a scenario where so many people were reliant on government handouts. 
The lockdowns did nothing to slowdown or stop covid.   The eventual vaccines did.  
So, if the boneheads in charge weren’t making poor decision after another….. we would be half as bad off as we are.  

3 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Well, lockdowns did nothing for us, other than cause folks to lose their homes, businesses, careers and mental health.  
As well as creating a scenario where so many people were reliant on government handouts. 
The lockdowns did nothing to slowdown or stop covid.   The eventual vaccines did.  
So, if the boneheads in charge weren’t making poor decision after another….. we would be half as bad off as we are.  

What a surprise that I disagree with each and every sentence in that post.

Merry Christmas!

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

What a surprise that I disagree with each and every sentence in that post.

Merry Christmas!

You disagree that people lost their homes and business from lockdowns?  
You disagree it hurt peoples mental health?   
You disagree that vaccines were the main cause for stopping/slowing down covid?

Are you willfully obtuse?

Under a rock?

8 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

You disagree that vaccines were the main cause for stopping/slowing down covid?

That is not the sentence you used in your just previous post

31 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

Yah, I've been hearing that for decades.

And the train keeps rolling along.

How long can we continue to increase our national debt to pay for all the treats and goodies people have come to rely on? The recent sharp interest rate hike shocked more than a few. Austerity is coming and it will force many to get out of their comfy recliners and face the real world of hard work. 

• Cheers 1