Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

why are you expecting instant returns from the EV investments? the patch didn't begin that way, many major projects took years to get profitable.

Also not sure why it has to be an either-or situation. We can be leaders across the energy field from the remaining oil and gas and EV tech. 

My first reaction is that energy is mostly a private capital investment. EV has received massive government support both federally and provincially. Not necessarily either or but the industry is not progressing as assumed. No matter whether a success or not I certainly lean towards nuclear power generation for the long term. 

Cheap power creates industry opportunity on many fronts. Nuclear power will undermine the profitability of many alternative options. I might even suggest hydro being threatened by nuclear.   

20 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

My first reaction is that energy is mostly a private capital investment. EV has received massive government support both federally and provincially. Not necessarily either or but the industry is not progressing as assumed. No matter whether a success or not I certainly lean towards nuclear power generation for the long term. 

Cheap power creates industry opportunity on many fronts. Nuclear power will undermine the profitability of many alternative options. I might even suggest hydro being threatened by nuclear.   

If that's the case I sure hope it's nuclear fusion and not fission.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We didn’t have “lockdowns” here. China did. We didn’t. 

Call it what you want Alf.  
People weren’t allowed to go to work.  
Businesses were forced to close down.  
People were getting fined for being out.  
Sure, it wasn’t as bad as the China lockdowns, thank god, but we do have some leftist extremists here who were calling for full lockdowns and would love to be communists for some reason.  
Another 4 years of Trudy, who knows what we see?

• Cheers 2

Just now, D.B Cooper said:

we do have some leftist extremists here who were calling for full lockdowns and would love to be communists for some reason.  

Can you expand on this?  A bit of who/what/where/when/why might prove your point.   Without any of that, I'll just take it as a chirp.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Call it what you want Alf.  
People weren’t allowed to go to work.  
Businesses were forced to close down.  
People were getting fined for being out.  
Sure, it wasn’t as bad as the China lockdowns, thank god, but we do have some leftist extremists here who were calling for full lockdowns and would love to be communists for some reason.  
Another 4 years of Trudy, who knows what we see?

Weren’t the responsibilities of that Covid control measure mostly provincial? IMHAO dr. Bonny did an excellent job with the measures she implemented. 
Trudeau is just the PM. He is only an MP who just happens to be the leader of the party in power right now. Plus he’s far superior to Poo Poo. Can’t vote Conservative with that sh*t head as their leader. 

3 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

You’re gonna have to take it as a chirp then.  
Im not digging back for quotes on CDC during the pandy.   

Chirp it will be then.  Happens all the time on the internet.   I'm sure if we were face to face you would not be calling me a leftist extremist or a communist wannabe.

46 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

My first reaction is that energy is mostly a private capital investment. EV has received massive government support both federally and provincially. Not necessarily either or but the industry is not progressing as assumed.

Not sure what this means? They just announced the investments.

46 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

No matter whether a success or not I certainly lean towards nuclear power generation for the long term. 

We are extremely well positioned on small reactors, I'd love to see that as well.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Weren’t the responsibilities of that Covid control measure mostly provincial? IMHAO dr. Bonny did an excellent job with the measures she implemented. 

IMO Bonny had no idea what she was doing, and her flip flop leadership was a joke.  
I do understand it was a crazy situation, but IMO she fumbled it big time all along the way. 

Trudeau is just the PM. He is only an MP who just happens to be the leader of the party in power right now.

Why does everyone pass the buck for this guy?   What does he actually do?  
He is the leader of the country.  
I’ll use an example of my thinking.  
I run a very large agricultural equipment manufacturing company.  
When the guys on the floor make a mistake, that is my mistake. 
When a project goes over yours, I went over hours.  
If someone gets injured on the floor, that is my fault as well.  
It’s called leadership and accountability.  
Give proper training, set realistic expectations, instal required safeguards.  

With Trudy, everyone says, it’s not his job.

Well it’s his job to be overseeing it all and making sure the correct decisions are made with Canadians in mind. 

IMO I don’t see any real leadership or quality guidance from him.  

Plus he’s far superior to Poo Poo. Can’t vote Conservative with that sh*t head as their leader. 

PP is a joke and No, I would never vote Con.  
But at this point, much like the end of Harper’s time, Canada needs a change in direction.  
It’s heartbreaking we don’t have any good choices 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

I didn’t call you that at all.  
I can’t control the assumptions you make.  Sorry dude

I just looked back through the thread and did not find what I thought was there.  I think I confused you with someone else complaining about internet bravery. My apologies.

Still, I do have a complaint about anyone who voices a left of center opinion being called a left wing extremist or anyone who supports social programs being called a communist.

I have seen others complaining that they are being lumped in with anti-vax, MAGA loving, right wing racists and I see their point too.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I just looked back through the thread and did not find what I thought was there.  I think I confused you with someone else complaining about internet bravery. My apologies.

😉

Still, I do have a complaint about anyone who voices a left of center opinion being called a left wing extremist or anyone who supports social programs being called a communist.

I would never call everyone an extremist or a commie for following the left. 
I myself stand on the left.  
I will call someone who supports full lockdowns a communist, and we had them here on these boards.  
And we certainly do have folks here with FAR left ideology. 

I have seen others complaining that they are being lumped in with anti-vax, MAGA loving, right wing racists and I see their point too.

I am a left of Center fella who is also fully vaxed.  I hate the cons/rep and I think everyone should make the choice to get vaccinated. 
I’ve had folks here call me a maga loving antivaxer too many times to count because I don’t go full out with their ideas.  
If some poster calls a fully vaccinated person an antivaxer because they question whether 8 boosters is a good idea….. that person has had too much of the koolaid and has started to enter the extremist category 

Edited by D.B Cooper

5 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

IMO Bonny had no idea what she was doing, and her flip flop leadership was a joke.  
I do understand it was a crazy situation, but IMO she fumbled it big time all along the way. 

Why does everyone pass the buck for this guy?   What does he actually do?  
He is the leader of the country.  
I’ll use an example of my thinking.  
I run a very large agricultural equipment manufacturing company.  
When the guys on the floor make a mistake, that is my mistake. 
When a project goes over yours, I went over hours.  
If someone gets injured on the floor, that is my fault as well.  
It’s called leadership and accountability.  
Give proper training, set realistic expectations, instal required safeguards.  

With Trudy, everyone says, it’s not his job.

Well it’s his job to be overseeing it all and making sure the correct decisions are made with Canadians in mind. 

IMO I don’t see any real leadership or quality guidance from him.  

PP is a joke and No, I would never vote Con.  
But at this point, much like the end of Harper’s time, Canada needs a change in direction.  
It’s heartbreaking we don’t have any good choices 

Fill your boots if you want to criticize Trudeau but every time you bring up things that come under  provincial regulation and blame him for it people are going to challenge it. Are you suggesting he is responsible for the decisions from Doctors B, Hinshaw, Moore, etc? 

Your example misses the mark in that you have the power & responsibility to overrule decisions made in any department. Trudeau overruling provincial responsibilities would make him the tyrant that many here paint him to be.

Just now, D.B Cooper said:

I don’t agree to that.  
The whole authoritarian/totalitarian goes hand in hand with the lockdowns. 
Control of the people is the whole name of the game.  

Semantics.    Your high school teacher would dock you a few marks for getting the terminology wrong I think.  I get that you don't like such people I just think you are using the wrong words to describe them.

If you had just said authoritarian I'd have had no such complaints.   (Though I think I might disagree on the proper usage of the term 'lockdown')

• Vintage 1

30 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Semantics.    Your high school teacher would dock you a few marks for getting the terminology wrong I think.  I get that you don't like such people I just think you are using the wrong words to describe them.

If you had just said authoritarian I'd have had no such complaints.   (Though I think I might disagree on the proper usage of the term 'lockdown')

Fair enough homie.  
Our “lockdown” wasn’t the same nor close to as extreme as the communist China’s continued lockdowns.  

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Fair enough homie.  
Our “lockdown” wasn’t the same nor close to as extreme as the communist China’s continued lockdowns.  

We didn’t have a “lockdown”. That’s a media term. We have health orders to protect the population as best as possible. And those orders, when followed, worked extremely well. We were able to pretty much continue our lives without too much inconvenience. We shopped; kids continued their schooling; we worked; we went outside for walks and such. 
No lockdown here. Controlled health orders was what we experienced. 
Brilliant work by dr. Bonnie. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We didn’t have a “lockdown”. That’s a media term. We have health orders to protect the population as best as possible. And those orders, when followed, worked extremely well. We were able to pretty much continue our lives without too much inconvenience. We shopped; kids continued their schooling; we worked; we went outside for walks and such. 
No lockdown here. Controlled health orders was what we experienced. 
Brilliant work by dr. Bonnie. 

Disagree Alf.  
Bonny’s decisions were made with cash in mind and not Canadians.   That’s why she was so wishy washy the whole time.  
Trying to toe the line without being obvious.  

I was building new machinery for LVL and plywood mills getting sold to the US.  
Didn’t miss a day.  
How is that essential worker?

They were random and silly with their decisions all the way through. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Disagree Alf.  
Bonny’s decisions were made with cash in mind and not Canadians.   That’s why she was so wishy washy the whole time.  
Trying to toe the line without being obvious.  

I was building new machinery for LVL and plywood mills getting sold to the US.  
Didn’t miss a day.  
How is that essential worker?

They were random and silly with their decisions all the way through. 

Our opinions clearly differ. That’s okay though. It’s important in honest discussion to have a variety of views. 
If Alf met you face to face though you’d have scooter tracks across your toes! 🤣

4 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

It sucks to have that opinion of fellow Canadians because they disagree with your ideologies.  

Also, no way you treat folks like that in real life.  

People are welcome to have opinions, but when they present them as fact on a discussion board, they can expect to be called out on them...

Sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em....

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

People are welcome to have opinions, but when they present them as fact on a discussion board, they can expect to be called out on them...

Sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em....

I'm so tired of the whiners that couldn't be bothered to do the least possible for others during the pandemic. Oh no a mask. A safe shot? Tyranny. Go blow.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1