Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

43 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Disagree Alf.  
Bonny’s decisions were made with cash in mind and not Canadians.   That’s why she was so wishy washy the whole time.  
Trying to toe the line without being obvious.  

I was building new machinery for LVL and plywood mills getting sold to the US.  
Didn’t miss a day.  
How is that essential worker?

They were random and silly with their decisions all the way through. 

Awesome take.

51 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

People are welcome to have opinions, but when they present them as fact on a discussion board, they can expect to be called out on them...

Sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em....

I’m far from offended.  
You are definitely one of the few who seem to be incapable of having a conversation without being an adult though.  
You havent called out anything or even contributed to the conversation in the slightest.  
So you and your “calls em as you see them” can make like Michael Jackson and Beat It 

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

I’m far from offended.  
You are definitely one of the few who seem to be incapable of having a conversation without being an adult though.  
You havent called out anything or even contributed to the conversation in the slightest.  
So you and your “calls em as you see them” can make like Michael Jackson and Beat It

I call bullshit. I wasn't even talking to you, yet you have posted about my comments three times.

Obviously offended.

BTW: You don't get to decided who stays and who goes. If my posts offend you so much, go ahead and report me to the mods.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I call bullshit. I wasn't even talking to you, yet you have posted about my comments three times.

Obviously offended.

BTW: You don't get to decided who stays and who goes. If my posts offend you so much, go ahead and report me to the mods.

I’ve only replied to your posts that you tagged me in. 
Are you so vein you think every post is about you?  
If you didn’t tag me in it, I skip passed your posts, as I think your opinion in this thread is trash and not worth my time.  Lol

4 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I’ve only replied to your posts that you tagged me in. 
Are you so vein you think every post is about you?  
If you didn’t tag me in it, I skip passed your posts, as I think your opinion in this thread is trash and not worth my time.  Lol

Wrong again...you quoted me, not the other way around....

On 12/25/2023 at 10:31 AM, Wiggums said:

Yes a pandemic happened and he went around throwing away money like a fat kid in a convenience store.  Worst PM in Canadian history, absolutely crippled this country. 

22 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

.....and saved a lot of businesses / livelihoods while doing so.

Your argument couldn't be more reductive if that's what you were going for. Maybe let the grownups talk here and head back to wherever it is that your ridiculous take is seen as insightful and accurate.

21 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Just because you dont agree doesn’t mean you need to be rude. 
Take your own advice and be a grownup, or shut up

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Boudrias said:

My first reaction is that energy is mostly a private capital investment. EV has received massive government support both federally and provincially. 

The energy industry has been massively subsidized by tax payers for decades.

• Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What balance sheet are you looking at? 

Probably the one with all the orphaned wells 😜

Regardless... you're comment didn't mention a "balance sheet". Are we expecting JUST announced EV subsidies to instantly pay off? This is the life cycle of spending on infrastructure/tech/industry investment. You subsidize to entice private investment for something you feel will have positive, long term economic payoff. In return you get infrastructure, industry, jobs etc... It's never going to pay for it self in the short term.

Edited by aGENT

7 hours ago, aGENT said:

Probably the one with all the orphaned wells 😜

Regardless... you're comment didn't mention a "balance sheet". Are we expecting JUST announced EV subsidies to instantly pay off? This is the life cycle of spending on infrastructure/tech/industry investment. You subsidize to entice private investment for something you feel will have positive, long term economic payoff. In return you get infrastructure, industry, jobs etc... It's never going to pay for it self in the short term.

My original point was that the oil industry was funded by private capital and therefore the risk to taxpayers would be minimalized. You retorted by saying the industry had been massively subsidized by taxpayers for years. I simply wanted to know how and by how much?  

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

My original point was that the oil industry was funded by private capital and therefore the risk to taxpayers would be minimalized. You retorted by saying the industry had been massively subsidized by taxpayers for years. I simply wanted to know how and by how much?  

And this doesn't necessarily include costs like environmental damage that's paid for by tax payers.

https://www.iisd.org/articles/unpacking-canadas-fossil-fuel-subsidies-faq

How much does Canada give out in fossil fuel subsidies?

It’s difficult to know, because federal and provincial governments haven’t transparently reported how much they really provide in fossil fuel subsidies. From what we do know, it’s at least CAD 4.8 billion per year. That includes measures like special tax deductions and direct cash transfers that governments provide to fossil fuel companies. You can find a list of some of the largest subsidies below. Examples of federal subsidies include research and development support programs and tax breaks like flow-through shares, which incentivize oil, gas, and mining exploration.

Examples of provincial subsidies include crown royalty reductions in Alberta valued at an average of CAD 1.16 billion and deep drilling and infrastructure credits in British Columbia valued at CAD 350 million in 2019.

In addition to the more narrowly defined subsidies, governments also provide public finance to fossil fuels through loans, guarantees, equity, and grants. Canada is one of the largest international fossil fuel financers in the world, averaging CAD 11 billion per year from 2018 to 2020.

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 2
  • ThereItIs 1

On 12/26/2023 at 7:27 AM, Heretic said:

I did read it and I had updated the "LinkedIn" post with the link:

https://www.ceicdata.com/en/indicator/canada/national-government-debt

BTW, I don't think much of any politician, I just find it sad to see people defend Trudeau whilst putting down other politicians.  The whole system needs an overhaul.  

What's wrong with defending a politician while putting down other politicians?

While I generally want to see what parties have to offer more than attack other parties, these are things that happen in pretty much every country. If you don't like that, that's fine, but that'll never change so you're going to have to live with it. Having some "idealist" approach stating the whole system needs an overall does nothing in the end.

Edited by The Lock
  • ThereItIs 1

On 12/26/2023 at 3:47 PM, D.B Cooper said:

Meh. 
He was right. 
You were being a jerk. 
Seems justified.  

Honestly, each post I make to you is a complete waste of my time.  
Im gonna pass on you.  
Cheers

I just don't see how you're being any better when you're literally doing the same thing as what you're ridiculing of. The EXACT same thing.

Are people allowed to have opinions? Yes.

Are people allowed to disagree with others' opinions? Yes.

How they disagree with others doesn't change anything. Some people will get heated in a debale. Some people will casually listen and consider another's opinion. People react differently. You're no exception. I'm no exception with my response here to you.

So this whole soapbox you have here is nothing more than Rupert having a different opinion than you and reacting however you want to react. It's no different than what Rupert's doing. It's no different than what I'm doing even. Just you saying "he's right" doesn't mean much of anything other than you agree with the other person and disagree with Rupert and think Rupert's "a jerk" because you don't know how to handle someone like Rupert. You kick and scream going "you jerk!"

And I've seen you come up with good points in the past. This is why I'm a little surprised by your reaction here. I thought you were one of the more mature ones but perhaps I was mistaken?

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I just don't see how you're being any better when you're literally doing the same thing as what you're ridiculing of. The EXACT same thing.

How they disagree with others doesn't change anything. Some people will get heated in a debale. Some people will casually listen and consider another's opinion. People react differently. You're no exception. I'm no exception with my response here to you.

So this whole soapbox you have here is nothing more than you having a different opinion than you and reacting however you want to react. It's no different than what Rupert's doing. It's no different than what I'm doing even. Just you saying "he's right" doesn't mean much of anything other than you agree with the other person and disagree with Rupert and think Rupert's "a jerk" because you don't know how to handle someone like Rupert. You kick and scream going "you jerk!"

How someone disagrees doesn't change anything?

So for example, saying "fuck you your opinion sucks" is the same as saying "I disagree with your opinion"?    

Just now, Wiggums said:

How someone disagrees doesn't change anything?

So for example, saying "fuck you your opinion sucks" is the same as saying "I disagree with your opinion"?    

In a way, yes. It shows you disagree in both cases. Just in one case you will get more done because you've shown more respect.

2 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

So how you disagree with someone does change things? 

I will agree that my 1 sentence could be worded better; however, that doesn't change the rest of my post in that what he's doing is no different.

Edited by The Lock

17 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So this whole soapbox you have here is nothing more than Rupert having a different opinion than you and reacting however you want to react. It's no different than what Rupert's doing. It's no different than what I'm doing even. Just you saying "he's right" doesn't mean much of anything other than you agree with the other person and disagree with Rupert and think Rupert's "a jerk" because you don't know how to handle someone like Rupert. You kick and scream going "you jerk!"

And I've seen you come up with good points in the past. This is why I'm a little surprised by your reaction here. I thought you were one of the more mature ones but perhaps I was mistaken?

He wasn’t trying to be a part of the conversation, that’s 
If he chooses to be a dick, I do the same.  
Respect goes both ways.  
If someone doesn’t want to show it, neither do I. 

My maturity comes and goes.  Lol.  
Id prefer to have a good solid respectful debate/conversation, but I’ll talk shit back, just like everyone else if nothing good is coming for the chat. 

3 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Respect goes both ways.  

Id prefer to have a good solid respectful debate/conversation, but I’ll talk shit back, just like everyone else if nothing good is coming for the chat. 

Well, I mean, I guess it depends on if you want to prove someone wrong or just lash out in the end. As long as you see how what you're doing's no different that was my point here in my own long-winded rant.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, The Lock said:

What's wrong with defending a politician while putting down other politicians?

While I generally want to see what parties have to offer more than attack other parties, these are things that happen in pretty much every country. If you don't like that, that's fine, but that'll never change so you're going to have to live with it. Having some "idealist" approach stating the whole system needs an overall does nothing in the end.

Because they all the same?  (pretty much).

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Fully agree.

FB_IMG_1703295427811.jpg

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Respect goes both ways.  

The thing is Rups contributions, especially in the poilitcal threads, dwarf yours.

You tend to pop in and call out enitre threads as echo chambers and say they are full of full of left wing extremists, then you eventually land on a debate about covid. You love the vax debates, love it, cant quit it. Yes Rup can be a bit harsh but as I just outlined so can you. Difference is, again, he submits far more content and conversation. I have really appreciated that over the years. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Because they all the same?  (pretty much).

In your mind, maybe. Clearly, if someone's defending someone and attacking someone else, they don't agree with your assessment here. Therefore, to say they're all the same isn't going to be an effective approach.

Even you felt the need to add in "pretty much" in brackets. That tells me you don't even fully agree with your opinion. You know there's differences out there no matter what. Am I correct?

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The thing is Rups contributions, especially in the poilitcal threads, dwarf yours.

You tend to pop in and call out enitre threads as echo chambers and say they are full of full of left wing extremists, then you eventually land on a debate about covid. You love the vax debates, love it, cant quit it. Yes Rup can be a bit harsh but as I just outlined so can you. Difference is, again, he submits far more content and conversation. I have really appreciated that over the years. 

Streaming Tv Show GIF by HULU

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1