Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

35 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Trudeau has done the same about his MPs speaking up or out about things.  Party leaders need to understand that not everything needs to be done because they are told to do something.  MPS speak for their constituents first, party second.

IN this instance though, this is entirely cowardly and PP knows full well what his MPs will say and why it's important for them to "no comment" everything

Trudeau does not get a pass either as you say!

10 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Of course he wouldn't. He'd have compelling evidence from CSIS or the RCMP, before confronting a foreign leader with something like that.

Honestly, it was the only play. The ones that are criticizing it are the ones that criticize everything he does. I stand by my assertion that these same people would be the loudest critics had he done nothing.

its telling that 1 - ONE - CPC MP showed up last night to debate the India issue. Cowards. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

F that Modi goof. Take in all the Indian people who want to come. Lots of room for good people. 

I'm glad that Trudeau confronted Modi in person on this. And that he also didn't bend to China on the Huawei/2 Michaels. 

Meanwhile only 1 CPC MP bothered to show up last night to debate this critical issue. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

Just now, Bob Long said:

I'm glad that Trudeau confronted Modi in person on this. And that he also didn't bend to China on the Huawei/2 Michaels. 

Meanwhile only 1 CPC MP bothered to show up last night to debate this critical issue. 

JT should punch Modi in the face. F that idiot and his murderous government group of bastards. Open our borders to all Indians who want to come. Screw Modi. 

• ThereItIs 2

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JT should punch Modi in the face. F that idiot and his murderous government group of bastards. Open our borders to all Indians who want to come. Screw Modi. 

Nope. Do it Canadian style....    Pull his shirt/ jersey  over his head and the n start chucking  knuckles.....

Edited by moosehead
  • Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 3

Just now, moosehead said:

Nope. Do it Canadian style....    Pull his shirt/ jersey  over his head and they start chucking  knuckles.....

Love it! And tape on the foil too. Remember when JT embarrassed that dumb goof Conservative who challenged him to a boxing match? JT could easily kick Modi’s ass. 

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Love it! And tape on the foil too. Remember when JT embarrassed that dumb goof Conservative who challenged him to a boxing match? JT could easily kick Modi’s ass. 

Yes and after JT s kicks  Modi.... next fight JT can s....kick that dip shi..... Elon Musk

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Feels like a good time to repost this. 

On 9/19/2023 at 11:40 AM, Sharpshooter said:

I appreciate Trudeau taking such a ballsy stance against India. 

I reckon it’s two part based. 

First, there’s credible evidence from CSIS and other Agencies that link the Indian govt to the assassination. Modi is an ultra-religious-nationalist, that has done his utmost to be against the Sikhs in the State of Punjab. That’s what the whole ‘No Farmers, No Food’ stickers you see on hundreds of cars and trucks were in response to. 

Secondly, Trudeau probably calculated the political costs to the Liberal Party, as many of those of Punjabi/Sikh members make up not only his Cabinet, but also those in his caucus. I’m sure that he felt the pressure. And of course the Punjabi people as a group are one of the highest voter turnout demographic. Losing their support would be detrimental to his government staying in power, and him remaining PM. 

This is how the world and governments work, as you’re well aware. 

The fight is on. India just expelled a top Canadian diplomat in retaliation to Canada ousting one of India’s top diplomats. 

It will escalate further. 

Then, there will be some show of good-faith between the countries and nothing will ultimately be done. 

It’s all a show from start to finish. 

image.gif.3d8ba3cb49c1c034ff16243881e2031d.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 9/19/2023 at 4:34 AM, LaBamba said:

Everything you are saying here is just as judgmental as the bigotry you’re suggesting you won’t stand for. A giant percentage of people in Canada and the United States are politically conservative. The minority of those people are on the extreme side of that spectrum but their voices are louder and they’re more combative. 

We all actually have more common ground than you realize. The silent majority are politically centre and lean to one side more than the other. Both sides are guilty of driving themselves apart from each other with extreme views and we are all playing into it. I remember a time where politics never came up in conversation. Social media plays a huge part in this division. 

Everyone acts like the worst possible scenario is will result if their side doesn’t have a majority government, but in reality your daily life barely changes.

Im actually in Texas right now. I’ve worked down in the USA since 2010. It’s funny how everyone acts like it’s just pure chaos down here but the daily life of Obama, Trump and Biden policies are completely indistinguishable.  

This is one of the biggest irrefutable lies you could ever make. It astounds me and yet doesn’t surprise me at all. Almost as if Trump’s presidency didn’t affect you, so you didn’t care what happened to other people, only about yourself. Which is what is the difference between left and right. One side cares about what happens to all people regardless of their views and wants to make life better through policy. The other side only cares about what happens to them and only wants to make their life better in policy and doesn’t care what happens to other people.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

This is one of the biggest irrefutable lies you could ever make. It astounds me and yet doesn’t surprise me at all. Almost as if Trump’s presidency didn’t affect you, so you didn’t care what happened to other people, only about yourself. Which is what is the difference between left and right. One side cares about what happens to all people regardless of their views and wants to make life better through policy. The other side only cares about what happens to them and only wants to make their life better in policy and doesn’t care what happens to other people.

IMG_9577.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 2

On 9/19/2023 at 8:16 AM, LaBamba said:

The liberals have only recently gone far left. The liberal party has always been common ground. 

We have had the JT government in power for 8 years. Nothing has improved in the area’s that a liberal government traditionally improves. from top to bottom everything is worse. Ignore the noise and think about real life here in BC. 

I understand that provincial governments are responsible for a lot of these things but it’s left in BC regardless. 

Health care: I gotta be in a major Jam to spend 7 hrs in an emergency room. That has become noticeably worse in the last 8 years I don’t even go to the doctor anymore. I wait till I’m working in Texas if I got something going on. My travel insurance in the US provides far better healthcare than what I have in Salmon Arm. 

Cost of living. What a disaster. I don’t know how people live in Vancouver. 

Mental health. Homelessness has become drastically worse.

education. Expensive and definitely not improved by any means. 

environment. Carbon taxes go up. Yet forests still burn down. Probably the laziest approach imaginable to an issue their voters value the most. 

just to show you that I’m not bias to any party. They have done some things that I like. 

In real time I thought they handled the pandemic well. In hindsight of course it was a disaster but it was a disaster for everyone.

I like the child care subsidies. I got a soft spot for struggling families and I don’t mind spending money there. 

l like how they handled Ukraine. 

considering the circumstances, he did well with the NAFTA debacle. 

but overall quality of life is lower for most Canadians than it was 8 years ago and there are no excuses. 

You seem like a smart person who understands economic policies. What exactly did you or anyone else expect to happen when the world economy literally shut down for 2 entire years? When people weren’t spending money on anything, but delivered items. Of course there was going to be massive inflation after the cogs started turning again. This would have happened under any government in the entire world of any ideology. If Poilievre were prime minister right now I’d argue the same thing: it’s not his or any government’s fault.

Here’s what happened. The world stopped making and spending on almost everything. Businesses shut down, people were laid off. Supply chains were incredibly screwed. Nothing could drive the economy in any country anywhere. So for 2 years businesses did everything they could to stay afloat. That meant rock bottom prices, selling at losses, cutting staff, cutting hours, spending less, whatever they decided was best for them. So for 2 entire years businesses had no profit except the deliverable item industries like Amazon, streaming, DoorDash etc.

Now fast forward to after people got vaccinated and felt they could safely start doing normal life activities. There’s a massive increase in demand for basically everything. Businesses couldn’t get the products customers were trying to buy. They lost even more potential dollars because supply chains were screwed and businesses couldn’t produce enough to satisfy the massive increase in demand returning to only normal levels, but those are massively increased from the pandemic times. Businesses had to hire, they had to pay more to get the products to sell because every business was trying to purchase products. Prices then were passed onto customers in the first bout of inflation.

Today there’s not much of those supply problems except the odd kink here and there. BUT businesses lost basically 3 years of revenue. So how are they supposed to make up for that lost time they’ll never get back? By increasing prices! This was always, always going to happen under any government of any ideology. They are not to blame. Businesses are trying to recuperate 2 whole years of no one buying anything and 1 year of a snarled supply chain. At some point inflation will go back to normal, around the GDP or less. But it will never and was never going to go back to pre pandemic levels. That’s a complete misunderstanding of basic economics and completely unrealistic expectations.

You keep making the argument “is your life better under left governments?”, which is smart territory for you to go into an argument on, but what you fail to do and imo it’s on purpose to create the argument that benefits your personal political view is realize or understand that a conservative government would have us exactly where we are right now! And I’d bet you wouldn’t make that same argument “is life better?” if that were the case. This isn’t Danielle Smith’s fault (I hate her), this isn’t Doug Ford’s fault (I dislike him), this isn’t Brad Wall’s fault (I dislike him), this isn’t Justin Trudeau’s fault (I’m ambivalent on him), this isn’t David Eby’s fault (I think he’s meh), this isn’t any governing party or politician’s fault anywhere in the world (ok maybe except Russia for obvious reasons, but I digress) and I think deep in your brain/heart you know this.

It is no one’s fault, but the pandemic itself and it was always going to end us up where we are right now. This is what happens when the world stops turning and then starts back up again. And if you can’t accept this basic indisputable truth then it’s because you have an agenda you’re trying to sell.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 2

On 9/20/2023 at 10:56 AM, stawns said:

the culture war craps to such a narrow field of voters, but I think they moderate Con voter will still vote Con in the hopes that it's just rhetoric and won't put it into practice.  The scary thing about the far right is how organized and focused they are

That is one thing about average voters that drives me crazy. They don’t believe something bad will happen even if a party or candidate campaigns on doing so until it’s too late and actually happens. Trump campaigned explicitly on ending Roe V Wade and installing judges on the Supreme Court that would do so. Republicans have run on this platform for decades that they want to ban abortions. Then left voters tuned out or voted 3rd party, independents went to Trump and Republicans of course and some Democrats went for Trump. Now in 2022 Roe V Wade ends because the Trump court deems it so. Now a 50 year right is gone and of course now Democrats are winning election after election.

But it’s too late, the genie is never going to be put back in the bottle. Even if Congress re-implements Roe V Wade with a Democratic trifecta, the court will strike it down. And now suddenly a whole large chunk of people are shocked, surprised or angry who actually played a part in making it happen, but they refused to listen to what someone said they were going to do.

Now in Canada we have Poilievre, the same brand of culture war division American politics as Trump. He says he won’t do these terrible things, but before he supported them. He voted prolife, he voted to undo gun safety laws, he voted against helping the environment, he supports ending diversity and gender teachings in schools, against all sorts of basic policies/positions that every prime minister has had prior because we fought those battles before and it’s been decided, so it’s time to move on to other debates, but because he’s not stupid he knows he has to about face to have a chance and people are falling for it.

Everyone on the right keeps saying “he’ll never do that”, this is fearmongering by the left. Ok, let’s hope so, but what if (hear me out) he actually does those things he said and voted to support that he was going to do prior to running for leader this country? What if he actually targets as Trump did before those most vulnerable like minorities? What happens then? Well I’ll tell you, the country goes into all out political war. Is that chance worth it?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I’m a libertarian AKA someone that minds their own business. No government is going to give a 42 yr old white male in the highest tax bracket a break so the party colour means nothing to me. The government, every government only takes from me. I don’t give a crap what teachers teach even though I have an 11 and 15 year old. I don’t care who is vaccinated even though I am vaccinated. I don’t care about the anthem either way, I don’t care about immigration. I don’t care what you do in your bedroom, I don’t care what you identify as, if you identify as a mountain I’ll call you Rocky, I don’t care. I care about my money and right now I’m not seeing any results from the current government that I also don’t care about. 

• Like 1

Which is what is the difference between left and right. One side cares about what happens to all people regardless of their views and wants to make life better through policy. The other side only cares about what happens to them and only wants to make their life better in policy and doesn’t care what happens to other people.

On 9/20/2023 at 7:15 PM, Master Mind said:

I find that many of the off topic regulars are too biased to have an open-minded conversation.

Checks out.

Welcome back.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 4:30 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Haven't you heard?  It's open-minded when it fits their philosophy - but if you ever question it, your position is biased and your neck is somehow wrapped by your anal sphincter.  :classic_rolleyes:

On 9/20/2023 at 4:39 PM, bishopshodan said:

It's @Master Mind.

He has a history of that type of none contributions.

8 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Checks out.

Welcome back.

Yup, checks out. I look forward to earning every single one of those confusion emojis from you. Felt like I was missing a part of me without them. Keep them coming! 😘

• Cheers 1

You seem like a smart person who understands economic policies. What exactly did you or anyone else expect to happen when the world economy literally shut down for 2 entire years? When people weren’t spending money on anything, but delivered items. Of course there was going to be massive inflation after the cogs started turning again. This would have happened under any government in the entire world of any ideology. If Poilievre were prime minister right now I’d argue the same thing: it’s not his or any government’s fault.

Here’s what happened. The world stopped making and spending on almost everything. Businesses shut down, people were laid off. Supply chains were incredibly screwed. Nothing could drive the economy in any country anywhere. So for 2 years businesses did everything they could to stay afloat. That meant rock bottom prices, selling at losses, cutting staff, cutting hours, spending less, whatever they decided was best for them. So for 2 entire years businesses had no profit except the deliverable item industries like Amazon, streaming, DoorDash etc.

Now fast forward to after people got vaccinated and felt they could safely start doing normal life activities. There’s a massive increase in demand for basically everything. Businesses couldn’t get the products customers were trying to buy. They lost even more potential dollars because supply chains were screwed and businesses couldn’t produce enough to satisfy the massive increase in demand returning to only normal levels, but those are massively increased from the pandemic times. Businesses had to hire, they had to pay more to get the products to sell because every business was trying to purchase products. Prices then were passed onto customers in the first bout of inflation.

Today there’s not much of those supply problems except the odd kink here and there. BUT businesses lost basically 3 years of revenue. So how are they supposed to make up for that lost time they’ll never get back? By increasing prices! This was always, always going to happen under any government of any ideology. They are not to blame. Businesses are trying to recuperate 2 whole years of no one buying anything and 1 year of a snarled supply chain. At some point inflation will go back to normal, around the GDP or less. But it will never and was never going to go back to pre pandemic levels. That’s a complete misunderstanding of basic economics and completely unrealistic expectations.

You keep making the argument “is your life better under left governments?”, which is smart territory for you to go into an argument on, but what you fail to do and imo it’s on purpose to create the argument that benefits your personal political view is realize or understand that a conservative government would have us exactly where we are right now! And I’d bet you wouldn’t make that same argument “is life better?” if that were the case. This isn’t Danielle Smith’s fault (I hate her), this isn’t Doug Ford’s fault (I dislike him), this isn’t Brad Wall’s fault (I dislike him), this isn’t Justin Trudeau’s fault (I’m ambivalent on him), this isn’t David Eby’s fault (I think he’s meh), this isn’t any governing party or politician’s fault anywhere in the world (ok maybe except Russia for obvious reasons, but I digress) and I think deep in your brain/heart you know this.

It is no one’s fault, but the pandemic itself and it was always going to end us up where we are right now. This is what happens when the world stops turning and then starts back up again. And if you can’t accept this basic indisputable truth then it’s because you have an agenda you’re trying to sell.

I don’t care about excuses I care about results. 
the increased liberal spending on social programs has no positive correlation with mental health or homelessness. It actually went the opposite way. 

I’ve stated before, the pandemic was a mulligan. I like the CPC plan to recover more than the Libs. End of story. You’re not going to make me care about social issue so don’t waste your time. 

16 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I’m a libertarian AKA someone that minds their own business. No government is going to give a 42 yr old white male in the highest tax bracket a break so the party colour means nothing to me. The government, every government only takes from me. I don’t give a crap what teachers teach even though I have an 11 and 15 year old. I don’t care who is vaccinated even though I am vaccinated. I don’t care about the anthem either way, I don’t care about immigration. I don’t care what you do in your bedroom, I don’t care what you identify as, if you identify as a mountain I’ll call you Rocky, I don’t care. I care about my money and right now I’m not seeing any results from the current government that I also don’t care about. 

I look forward to your response to why your money isn’t getting any results right now. I’m happy you at least admit you only care about yourself and not anyone else. I’m also glad you’re consistent in your views on what other people do. I get it seems like the world/left is out to get straight white wealthy men, but we’re not asking to take everything you have, if you’re in the top tax bracket you  can afford to pay more than others can afford to in order to better your and our lives because when we all succeed, the country prospers, including you even if it doesn’t seem like you get much from what you pay in. There’s a lot of intangibles you don’t see that effect why you have succeeded in life (and congrats on that, sincerely, I wish everyone would).

• Cheers 3

26 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I don’t care about excuses I care about results. 
the increased liberal spending on social programs has no positive correlation with mental health or homelessness. It actually went the opposite way. 

I’ve stated before, the pandemic was a mulligan. I like the CPC plan to recover more than the Libs. End of story. You’re not going to make me care about social issue so don’t waste your time. 

Wow, I expected more from you. I simply explained exactly why inflation has occurred and you refuse to reply to anything except for saying “I don’t care”. Well this discussion is going nowhere. I didn’t once in that post mention social issues, but nice try at a deflection away from the topic of why things cost more. I came at this in good faith, but it’s clear nothing I say would ever change your mind on anything obviously given your closed mindedness, so I’m going to finish this debate. Vote for your own selfish interests and say screw you to everyone else as is your right. It’s very typical of the conservative voter. You do you my friend.

• Confused 1