Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

In case you have not noticed CCF has ONE GUY using the term Nazis to describe PP.

While I'm already here:

Yes, for reasons no one can fully comprehend JT wore black face multiple times.  I'm still pissed any time I think of it.

Yes, the speaker totally screwed up and invited an Nazi collaborator to Parliament.  The whole house applauded him.  Then word got out and the speaker resigned in shame.  Liberals were understandably embarrassed and Conservatives understandably gloated.  Also understandably, Conservatives can't let go and continue to misdescribe the events as though it was a Liberal policy to glorify Nazis.

We'll have to see what happens next election won't we?    

Yes, we will be waiting for the next election to see what happens.  Based on the current poll numbers, PP would win an election today in the greatest landslide in Canadian political history…

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, we will be waiting for the next election to see what happens.  Based on the current poll numbers, PP would win an election today in the greatest landslide in Canadian political history…

Cool.  Ignore almost everything I said and gloat on the current poll numbers.

As I said, we will see.  You might be right, you might be wrong.   Still a ways to go yet.  

The polls certainly show a dissatisfaction with the liberals.  I have some myself.  How people will actually vote in 2025 remains to be seen.

• Cheers 1

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time the Liberal's were decimated Jack Layton was the leader of the NDP?  I don't think the NDP is strong enough this time around to decimate the Liberal party.  Poll numbers are poll numbers, but I'd guess a lot of NDP voters would jump to the liberals at the last minute to strategically vote.  I am a little surprised the Liberal party hasn't tried to a little harder to push Trudeau out, we all see the writing on the wall, why can't they?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time the Liberal's were decimated Jack Layton was the leader of the NDP?  I don't think the NDP is strong enough this time around to decimate the Liberal party.  Poll numbers are poll numbers, but I'd guess a lot of NDP voters would jump to the liberals at the last minute to strategically vote.  I am a little surprised the Liberal party hasn't tried to a little harder to push Trudeau out, we all see the writing on the wall, why can't they?

Interesting- maybe the NDP finds a different leader and does much better in the next election.

Dissatisfied Liberals will either not vote, or maybe vote for a different NDP leader?

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

BTW: When did wearing blackface become a Nazi trait?

Never.   I don't think that's what anybody said.

It's just that it was an awfully dumb thing for young JT to do and now we will never hear the end of it, especially when someone uses the word Nazi.

7 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Never.   I don't think that's what anybody said.

It's just that it was an awfully dumb thing for young JT to do and now we will never hear the end of it, especially when someone uses the word Nazi.

Maybe not, but that certainly seemed to be the implication in the post below:

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trudeau wearing blackface multiplie times.  His Liberal House Speaker bringing in an actual Nazi into the House of Commons.  But PP and his cronies are the actual racists and Nazi’s.  This is why Trudeau and his cronies are going to get destroyed in the next election.  Because even the young voters hate his guts and aren’t dumb enough to vote for him again. 

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I guess I just did not want to open that worm can again.   I have to admit I'm getting extremely tired of talking about Nazis over and over again.

We really should not have to do so in a Canadian Politics thread.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I guess I just did not want to open that worm can again.   I have to admit I'm getting extremely tired of talking about Nazis over and over again.

We really should not have to do so in a Canadian Politics thread.

I agree. That being said, most of the long timers here recognize that this is Heffy's style and he's unlikely to change. IMO, the way to avoid a debate on what is a Nazi and what isn't is to just ignore the comments.

• ThereItIs 2

11 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Petey trots out that little chestnut about the House Speaker each time he feels PP is being picked on. Doesn’t matter how many times it gets pointed out that the entire House stood to applaud Hunka or that it was a serious & embarrassing mistake that cost Rota his job. Now the ‘Liberal’ designation has been added to emphasize a tie to JT even though the Speaker is supposed to be impartial and is selected by ranked ballot and most likely chosen by many conservatives.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I have never cared about blackface etc in a certain pov.

If it is done out of respect or admiration then I dont agree with the negative sides of cultural appropriation.

I pretty sure I am probably wrong about my way of thinking but I dont care too much.

As a kid I had a bunch of friends that did it, to try to be like their idol. I remember kids dressing up as Micheal Jackson ( when he was darker). The Thriller album was the biggest thing in music and i remember the red zipper jackets, single glove etc.. On halloween you might see a few fans dressing like Mike and painting their face. They loved him, they wanted to be just like him.

I have tons of tattoos, a few are from cultures other than my own. I have been told that is wrong. I my mind it is not, I got these pieces out of respect. 

Again, I am sure I dont understand it properly..

• Cheers 3

10 hours ago, Gurn said:

Interesting- maybe the NDP finds a different leader and does much better in the next election.

Dissatisfied Liberals will either not vote, or maybe vote for a different NDP leader?

I voted NDP last election and if it was tmr, I would again.

Really want a new leader though. If they do that I feel they have a chance to make big waves.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

If it is done out of respect or admiration then I dont agree with the negative sides of cultural appropriation.

I pretty sure I am probably wrong about my way of thinking but I dont care too much.

As a kid I had a bunch of friends that did it, to try to be like their idol. I remember kids dressing up as Micheal Jackson ( when he was darker). The Thriller album was the biggest thing in music and i remember the red zipper jackets, single glove etc.. On halloween you might see a few fans dressing like Mike and painting their face. They loved him, they wanted to be just like him.

I have tons of tattoos, a few are from cultures other than my own. I have been told that is wrong. I my mind it is not, I got these pieces out of respect. 

Guilty. lol

Edit: back then no one ever considered it racist. At least not in my circles.

Edited by Shift-4
  • Haha 1

Not that I need another reason not to vote Conservative in the next election, but here's one anyway:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/conservative-mp-backs-petition-for-canada-to-pull-out-of-united-nations/ar-AA1mtSLT?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=1d600a16f00f429ea006dd282e4cc8e8&ei=47

Conservative MP Leslyn Lewis is backing a petition for Canada to pull out of the United Nations and its subsidiary organizations like the World Health Organization.

Lewis represents the Ontario riding of Haldimand-Norfolk and sits on Opposition Leader Pierre Poilievre’s shadow cabinet.

Lewis, a former Conservative leadership hopeful and current Opposition critic of infrastructure and communities, expressed her support for Canada’s removal from the UN and the WHO Wednesday on social media.

“Over 60,000 Canadians have now signed a petition calling on Canada to protect our national sovereignty by withdrawing from the UN and its subsidiary organizations,” Lewis wrote on X.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I voted NDP last election and if it was tmr, I would again.

Really want a new leader though. If they do that I feel they have a chance to make big waves.

I've said it before, but I really think the NDP screwed themselves, when they gave the leadership to Angry Tom over Nathan Cullen....

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I've said it before, but I really think the NDP screwed themselves, when they gave the leadership to Angry Tom over Nathan Cullen....

I dont know enough of the NDP history.

I liked what Jag was saying even though he ended up not really seeming to have a plan. If you say 'tax the rich' to me ...I'll get excited, I also really like the dental move.

I used to vote Green mostly but the last election they fell apart in a bad way. They were barely worthwhile before but I liked their presence and idealism.

10 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Petey trots out that little chestnut about the House Speaker each time he feels PP is being picked on. Doesn’t matter how many times it gets pointed out that the entire House stood to applaud Hunka or that it was a serious & embarrassing mistake that cost Rota his job. Now the ‘Liberal’ designation has been added to emphasize a tie to JT even though the Speaker is supposed to be impartial and is selected by ranked ballot and most likely chosen by many conservatives.

To this day it is not clear to me what role 'Hunka' played in his SS unit. There was some discussion at that time that Ukrainians who wanted an independent country from the Russians either joined the Germans to fight Russians or joined partisan groups. Joining the Germans was not that unusual. Whether they killed Jews or not is more unclear. The Ukrainian community largely honored these people as patriots. The Russians call them nazi.  

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Cullen didn't have any national appeal. 

I just read a bit ...as I like to learn.

He didn't really wnat the top job did he? or was it that he would have done it if not for respecting Tom?

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I just read a bit ...as I like to learn.

He didn't really wnat the top job did he? or was it that he would have done it if not for respecting Tom?

Tom was a good Quebec boy. They wanted to maintain that base that Jack built.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Your post reminded me of this between Kenyon Martin and Jeremy Lin back in 2017:

In comments he later apologized for, Martin posted a video on his Instagram account last week, saying that Lin's decision to wear dreadlocks is an indication that he wants to "be black."

"Do I need to remind this damn boy that his last name Lin?" Martin said in the video. "Like, come on, man. Let's stop this, man, with these people, man. There is no way possible that he would have made it on one of our teams with that bulls--- goin' on on his head. Come on, man. Somebody need to tell him, like, 'All right, bro, we get it. You wanna be black.' Like, we get it. But the last name is Lin."

Lin, a Harvard graduate, couldn’t have handled it better:

“Hey man. It's all good you don't have to like my hair and definitely entitled to your opinion. Actually I legit grateful you sharin' it [to be honest]. At the end of the day, I appreciate that i have dreads and you have Chinese tattoos [because] it's a sign of respect. And I think as miniorities, the more we appreciate each others' cultures, the more we influnece mainstream society,” Lin wrote.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

“Over 60,000 Canadians have now signed a petition calling on Canada to protect our national sovereignty by withdrawing from the UN and its subsidiary organizations,” Lewis wrote on X.

And 38,870,000 have not.

Getting tired of small splinter groups trying to pretend relevance.

• Cheers 2