Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

637AA4C5-89C5-4020-8893-F88888CF0784.thumb.png.f3771d269a23133f3777907533d20eb0.png

Listen to CBC radio for a few days. It’s definitely bias (left) and plays favourites. 

I admit I’m not a listener to CBC radio generally. Which programs are the worst offenders in your view?

22 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, we will be waiting for the next election to see what happens.  Based on the current poll numbers, PP would win an election today in the greatest landslide in Canadian political history…

Which would be a mistake by Canadians. Voting out one bad option for a worse one, isn't progress. I wish voters would realize this, so we can get off this decades long yo-yo ride, and make some actual progress for once.

9 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I voted NDP last election and if it was tmr, I would again.

Really want a new leader though. If they do that I feel they have a chance to make big waves.

As per above, a solid campaign outlining getting off the shitty Liberal/Con yo-yo (that's done our country a disservice for decades), with an actual, electable leader at the helm, could probably make them some serious headway.

8 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Cullen didn't have any national appeal. 

Sadly, I don't think he really wanted the big job either (one of many reasons he'd be great). Guy's one of the best politicians in Canada and would have made a FANTASTIC successor to Layton. Certainly FAR better than Mulcair or Singh.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Sadly, I don't think he really wanted the big job either (one of many reasons he'd be great). Guy's one of the best politicians in Canada and would have made a FANTASTIC successor to Layton. Certainly FAR better than Mulcair or Singh.

I've met him. (He used to represent my riding)

He wanted the job when he lost to Mulcair. (and someone else, who I can't remember off the top of my head) Then after Angry Tom left, everyone expected him to jump right back in, but by that time, he had young children and his priorities had changed....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

I admit I’m not a listener to CBC radio generally. Which programs are the worst offenders in your view?

Are there programs? We pretty much listen all day long and it’s not really programmed. It’s a combination of news and stories from around the country and some international reporting. Nothing bad. Just mostly left wing information. People would need to listen for a few days to get the feeling if what’s reported. There’s music too. And it’s interesting which artists are played. There’s definitely an agenda. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Are there programs? We pretty much listen all day long and it’s not really programmed. It’s a combination of news and stories from around the country and some international reporting. Nothing bad. Just mostly left wing information. People would need to listen for a few days to get the feeling if what’s reported. There’s music too. And it’s interesting which artists are played. There’s definitely an agenda. 

What's the agenda?

Just now, RupertKBD said:

What's the agenda?

IMHAO people would need to listen and decide for themselves. I think it’s a leftist agenda. The chart posted supports what I’ve thought for a long while. But others might see differently.

And darts! God they were talking darts this week. Some 16 year old made the Big Finals in England. Holy craperolla! 
He did finish second though. 🎯 

See, now that just shoots down your narrative Alf....the guys obviously a Righty....

luke-littler-isnt-bad-is-he-v0-qj8417s6qi7c1.thumb.webp.47c84fbd0fb53cd4e6871b122e21c1f6.webp

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

He wanted the job when he lost to Mulcair. (and someone else, who I can't remember off the top of my head) Then after Angry Tom left, everyone expected him to jump right back in, but by that time, he had young children and his priorities had changed....

Didn’t Cullen piss off some people in the party by suggesting they run joint candidates with the Greens to avoid splitting the vote in some Conservative ridings?

I think the other guy was Topp who was part of Layton’s posse.

Edited by 4petesake

IMHAO people would need to listen and decide for themselves. I think it’s a leftist agenda. The chart posted supports what I’ve thought for a long while. But others might see differently.

But what's the agenda? Is it supposed to make everyone vote Liberal?

If so, it's working about as well as last year's Canucks PK....

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Didn’t Cullen piss off some people in the party by suggesting they run joint candidates with the Greens to avoid splitting the vote in some Conservative ridings?

I think the other guy was Topp who was part of Layton’s posse.

Maybe. I don't remember it that well. I do remember being surprised that he wasn't even in the top 2....

32 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Which would be a mistake by Canadians. Voting out one bad option for a worse one, isn't progress. I wish voters would realize this, so we can get off this decades long yo-yo ride, and make some actual progress for once.

As per above, a solid campaign outlining getting off the shitty Liberal/Con yo-yo (that's done our country a disservice for decades), with an actual, electable leader at the helm, could probably make them some serious headway.

Yeah Im not sure.... would a reluctant leader be good? Maybe.

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

That's right, kind of got shafted for an "Eastern" candidate and then had different priorities (family), which you can hardly blame him for. Canada missed out though. Maybe when his kids get older...?

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Yeah Im not sure.... would a reluctant leader be good? Maybe.

Mostly referring to someone who's not in it as much for self serving reasons/glory. I feel he's a rare politician that's in politics to genuinely help the people that elected him. Either that or he sells that image REALLY well 😂

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Voting out one bad option for a worse one, isn't progress. I wish voters would realize this, so we can get off this decades long yo-yo ride, and make some actual progress for once.

image.png.0ae510a1556e0a15194e58b4eb2366fa.png

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

How can it be “highly factual” but biased.  
Is it a fact or not?

Most if not all of those news outlets will have news - factual or not - as well as editorials and opinion pieces.  It's the latter two that can lean one way or a another.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, D.B Cooper said:

How can it be “highly factual” but biased.  
Is it a fact or not?

The chart to me just shows where all the influence and money lies.  The amount of money and exposure from the newspapers on the right side (ie. National Post, CTV News, The Sun, is disproportionate compared to the mostly independent news sources on the left.  Nine of the newspapers listed on the right are owned by one company, Postmedia (which is American-owned and tied closely to the Republican Party).

Drives me crazy when anyone starts spouting "left media" here in Canada.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Obviously the propaganda is falling on deaf ears. Which is probably why they are talking about dart competitions. 

What propaganda? This is the question I kept asking Alf, but didn't get an answer to....

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Trudeau and Singh aren't any better options for most people, so the yo-yo ride will continue indefinitely....

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

What propaganda? This is the question I kept asking Alf, but didn't get an answer to....

I don't listen to CBC news, but I am assuming it is the CNN of Canada.  Do you think CNN actually reports unbiased news?  Same with Fox News on the other side.  They are  both propaganda arms for their respective political parties...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't listen to CBC news, but I am assuming it is the CNN of Canada.  Do you think CNN actually reports unbiased news?  Same with Fox News on the other side.  They are  both propaganda arms for their respective political parties...

I think all media outlets have a slant, either left or right, but I disagree that CBC is analogous to CNN and I disagree that CNN and Fox are "the same". When CNN has to pay close to a billion dollars for outright lies about a private company conspiring to fix a national election, then I'll believe that.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

The chart to me just shows where all the influence and money lies.  The amount of money and exposure from the newspapers on the right side (ie. National Post, CTV News, The Sun, is disproportionate compared to the mostly independent news sources on the left.  Nine of the newspapers listed on the right are owned by one company, Postmedia (which is American-owned and tied closely to the Republican Party).

Drives me crazy when anyone starts spouting "left media" here in Canada.

If you don't read or follow CBC News, why are you making assumptions about it?

• Cheers 1