Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm going off of third-party information.  And also Alf.  But I guess I could be getting inaccurate info...

Third... party... information...?

It's free.  There’s no paywall.  One of the main reasons I use it for Canadian news.  

Where do you get your news from?

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

I think all media outlets have a slant, either left or right, but I disagree that CBC is analogous to CNN and I disagree that CNN and Fox are "the same". When CNN has to pay close to a billion dollars for outright lies about a private company conspiring to fix a national election, then I'll believe that.

Are you sure it was CNN that paid the billion dollars?  If so, your argument just lost all credibility...   🤨

If you are referring to Fox News, well yes they did write the cheque, but I've watched enough CNN over the last 30+ years to know that their coverage is pretty slanted towards the left these days.  It didn't use to be this way, which is why I can tell the difference.  Back in the 1990's, they used to report the actual news.  Even Tucker Carlson was a CNN regular for awhile.  I remember his bow tie.  If your argument is that CNN is more unbiased towards the left than Fox News is towards the right, then I'm not sure I would agree with that, regardless of the billion dollar cheque that they wrote.  To me, watching Sean Hannity do his schtick is just as annoying as when Fredo did his schtick...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Third... party... information...?

It's free.  There’s no paywall.  One of the main reasons I use it for Canadian news.  

Where do you get your news from?

When I say third-party, I really meant someone other than myself.  Maybe secondhand information is a better terminology for that.

Where do I get my news?  Well, I don't watch TV anymore other than for sports and Netflix, so I get most of my news from X as I spend most of my time on my computer or my phone.  As you can tell I post ALOT of X content on here and on the old CDC.  I'm sure most people on here would say that X is just a cult of Trump worshippers, but it really isn't.  Most of the content on this site is from X, same as CDC.  If you look for info you can find it on there.  I noticed that ALOT of information for the Ukraine was for example is from X, Silent Sam lives on X.  Same as the Israel/Hamas war.  It's the same for all news. 

Pretty much everything is on X, you just have to be diligent to follow the right accounts.  CBC news has an X account, so I can easily get their news from there as well if I wanted to.  Every single news organization has a X account.  So, don't believe the people who say X is just some right wing conspiracy website.  It is not.  You can get any info you want from X, you just have to search for it...

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trudeau and Singh aren't any better options for most people, so the yo-yo ride will continue indefinitely....

The leaders don't really matter that much. I'm talking about your local MP and party policies and platforms.

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When I say third-party, I really meant someone other than myself.  Maybe secondhand information is a better terminology for that.

Where do I get my news?  Well, I don't watch TV anymore other than for sports and Netflix, so I get most of my news from X as I spend most of my time on my computer or my phone.  As you can tell I post ALOT of X content on here and on the old CDC.  I'm sure most people on here would say that X is just a cult of Trump worshippers, but it really isn't.  Most of the content on this site is from X, same as CDC.  If you look for info you can find it on there.  I noticed that ALOT of information for the Ukraine was for example is from X, Silent Sam lives on X.  Same as the Israel/Hamas war.  It's the same for all news. 

Pretty much everything is on X, you just have to be diligent to follow the right accounts.  CBC news has an X account, so I can easily get their news from there as well if I wanted to.  Every single news organization has a X account.  So, don't believe the people who say X is just some right wing conspiracy website.  It is not.  You can get any info you want from X, you just have to search for it...

Twitter...?  Twitter is social media.  You're not actually getting your news from there per se... you're clicking the links and going to whatever news sources you're reading from.  So we're back to the original question.  What are your "right accounts" that you follow when it comes to Canadian news content?  And you can't say this forum - we're just like any other social media where we post links and stories, without producing any kind of real journalistic content.

For the record, when I'm lazy I usually consume Canadian news from various subreddits (national all the way down to local).  But I know that I'm getting a very curated experience tailored to my own political biases.  Sometimes I'll peek into the freedom convoy subreddits just to see how deranged they are.  It's fun.  But scary also.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't listen to CBC news, but I am assuming it is the CNN of Canada.  Do you think CNN actually reports unbiased news?  Same with Fox News on the other side.  They are  both propaganda arms for their respective political parties...

CNN is owned by a conservative for what its worth.

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are you sure it was CNN that paid the billion dollars? 

Are you sure you read that post correctly?

I mean you quoted it, but seem to have totally missed the " When" CNN has to" part, or  you read it as "CNN had to".

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Twitter...?  Twitter is social media.  You're not actually getting your news from there per se... you're clicking the links and going to whatever news sources you're reading from.  So we're back to the original question.  What are your "right accounts" that you follow when it comes to Canadian news content?  And you can't say this forum - we're just like any other social media where we post links and stories, without producing any kind of real journalistic content.

For the record, when I'm lazy I usually consume Canadian news from various subreddits (national all the way down to local).  But I know that I'm getting a very curated experience tailored to my own political biases.  Sometimes I'll peek into the freedom convoy subreddits just to see how deranged they are.  It's fun.  But scary also.

Yes, I know exactly how X works.  Who do I follow?  I actually follow over 3000 accounts, so I pretty much follow everybody, both left and right and in the middle.  That way I get all the news and then I can use discernment to figure out what's fact and what is fiction.  I don't trust CNN or Fox News, so I'd rather figure things out myself.  And yes, just like you I even follow some whack jobs just to see what is going on in the conspiracy world.  I saw an interesting one just 30 minutes ago.  I used to use Reddit a long time ago but there were too many whack jobs on there so I stopped going there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are you sure it was CNN that paid the billion dollars?  If so, your argument just lost all credibility...   🤨

If you are referring to Fox News, well yes they did write the cheque, but I've watched enough CNN over the last 30+ years to know that their coverage is pretty slanted towards the left these days.  It didn't use to be this way, which is why I can tell the difference.  Back in the 1990's, they used to report the actual news.  Even Tucker Carlson was a CNN regular for awhile.  I remember his bow tie.  If your argument is that CNN is more unbiased towards the left than Fox News is towards the right, then I'm not sure I would agree with that, regardless of the billion dollar cheque that they wrote.  To me, watching Sean Hannity do his schtick is just as annoying as when Fredo did his schtick...

:classic_huh: Of course not. That would make no sense....are you sure you read my post?

And yes, CNN is slanted Left, but they don't allow their anchors to promote outright lies in order to try and keep a POTUS in office. Ergo: Not the same. And you can disagree all you like, but there are over 700 million reasons why you would be wrong....

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm going off of third-party information.  And also Alf.  But I guess I could be getting inaccurate info...

When Alf is your source of political information, you've definitely lost the plot....:classic_rolleyes:

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

:picard:

I have to ask: Is English your first language? :classic_unsure:

Yes I speak perfect English. Ah okay, I get it now. I read it wrong. 

14 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I think all media outlets have a slant, either left or right, but I disagree that CBC is analogous to CNN and I disagree that CNN and Fox are "the same". When CNN has to pay close to a billion dollars for outright lies about a private company conspiring to fix a national election, then I'll believe that.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Alf is 75 years old. He likes to play a role on CDC/CFF but I can guarantee you he knows just as much about politics and life as you do. 

Well, he thinks that CBC is "far left" and that it should be policed by the Governor General, so I'm going to disagree with that.

I'm less than a month away from 63, BTW....

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Well, he thinks that CBC is "far left" and that it should be policed by the Governor General, so I'm going to disagree with that.

I'm less than a month away from 63, BTW....

Oh fuck, I never knew all this time I was arguing with my father…   😲

Haha, I’m just kidding Rupert. I’m younger than you but by no means am I a pup. Watched Gretzky in his prime. I’m sure you watched Bobby Orr. Alf’s favourite player was Dave Keon. 

My father always told me to be nice to older people. So respect shall be given. RIP Mr. Petey…

• Cheers 2

52 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Oh fuck, I never knew all this time I was arguing with my father…   😲

Haha, I’m just kidding Rupert. I’m younger than you but by no means am I a pup. Watched Gretzky in his prime. I’m sure you watched Bobby Orr. Alf’s favourite player was Dave Keon. 

My father always told me to be nice to older people. So respect shall be given. RIP Mr. Petey…

I did watch Orr. In those days, the Canucks didn't have an NHL franchise, so (I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that) I was a Habs fan. Yvan Cournoyer was my favorite player and I saw him go head to head with Orr on several occasions. Greatest player ever, IMHO....

Speaking of Gretz, look up his birthday and you'll know when it's time to wish this old guy a happy birthday....

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, I know exactly how X works.  Who do I follow?  I actually follow over 3000 accounts, so I pretty much follow everybody, both left and right and in the middle.  That way I get all the news and then I can use discernment to figure out what's fact and what is fiction.  I don't trust CNN or Fox News, so I'd rather figure things out myself.  And yes, just like you I even follow some whack jobs just to see what is going on in the conspiracy world.  I saw an interesting one just 30 minutes ago.  I used to use Reddit a long time ago but there were too many whack jobs on there so I stopped going there.

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He loves Obama and donated to Hillary’s campaign. 

If your ability to sift through the BS is as sharp as you claim, you should know that your assessment of Rupert Murdoch is insanely reductive.  When there's only 2 or 3 horses in a race and they all have insane payouts, it makes sense to back every horse.  He exists to make money off politics, and does so by schmoozing with everyone on every side.  All it takes to gain favour of a politician is to attend one fundraising dinner.  If you can get on a potential president's good side, wouldn't you spend a few bucks?

Anyways, to bring this to Canadian politics, Murdoch owns two thirds of the USA's print media.  I'd reckon Postmedia owns about the same amount here in Canada.  For the majority of our newspapers to be owned by an American hedge fund (with ties to the Republican Party), this fact seems missed on most Canadians.

• Cheers 2

17 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I did watch Orr. In those days, the Canucks didn't have an NHL franchise, so (I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that) I was a Habs fan. Yvan Cournoyer was my favorite player and I saw him go head to head with Orr on several occasions. Greatest player ever, IMHO....

Speaking of Gretz, look up his birthday and you'll know when it's time to wish this old guy a happy birthday....

Habs vs the Russians Dec. 31st, 1975. One of the best games ever played. 3 - 3 tie but Montreal dominated the play. Gainey deep in the d-zone on the left side throws a knee high pass to a streaking Cournoyer on the right side. Evan takes the pass without breaking stride and cuts in on Tretiak for a scoring op. My mouth dropped open on that play. Like you a Habs fan back to Beliveau. When the Canucks came in I remained a Habs fan as it was easy to watch the early game in the east and the Canucks later. When Polluck didn't name Bowman as his successor I started to waver. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Vintage 1