Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Habs vs the Russians Dec. 31st, 1975. One of the best games ever played. 3 - 3 tie but Montreal dominated the play. Gainey deep in the d-zone on the left side throws a knee high pass to a streaking Cournoyer on the right side. Tvan takes the pass without breaking stride and cuts in on Tretiak for a scoring op. My mouth dropped open on that play. Like you a Habs fan back to Beliveau. When the Canucks came in I remained a Habs fan as it was easy to watch the early game in the east and the Canucks later. When Polluck didn't name Bowman as his successor I started to waver. 

Oddly enough, it was a play against Cournoyer that convinced me that orr was the greatest player I'd ever seen...or ever will see...

It was an HNIC broadcast and I don't remember much about it other than this play. Orr was at the blueline in the O-zone and one of the Habs managed to chip it past him. YC already had a head of steam going and looked to be heading in on an uncontested breakaway. Somehow, Orr caught him. I didn't think it was possible, but by the time Couroyer hit the Bruins' blueline, Orr was leaning into him and turned the rush into nothing.

In a way, it reminds me of Quinn Hughes. Just pure, effortless skating...

Weird things sometimes determine a favorite team. I became a Canucks fan when they joined the league, but a few years later, I played in the Kamloops Bantam tournament and went up against Bryan Trottier's younger brother Monty, who was playing for Swift Current.

Everyone was talking about this kid, but from what I could tell he was just a decent player....nothing special. Finally I asked one of the guys playing for Swift Current and they "No, it's because of his older brother, Bryan. He got drafted by the Islanders...".

After that, I started following the Isles and they eventually became my "backup" team to the Canucks. I almost bashed my head against the ceiling when Nystrom scored to beat the Flyers in 1980.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Oddly enough, it was a play against Cournoyer that convinced me that orr was the greatest player I'd ever seen...or ever will see...

It was an HNIC broadcast and I don't remember much about it other than this play. Orr was at the blueline in the O-zone and one of the Habs managed to chip it past him. YC already had a head of steam going and looked to be heading in on an uncontested breakaway. Somehow, Orr caught him. I didn't think it was possible, but by the time Couroyer hit the Bruins' blueline, Orr was leaning into him and turned the rush into nothing.

In a way, it reminds me of Quinn Hughes. Just pure, effortless skating...

Weird things sometimes determine a favorite team. I became a Canucks fan when they joined the league, but a few years later, I played in the Kamloops Bantam tournament and went up against Bryan Trottier's younger brother Monty, who was playing for Swift Current.

Everyone was talking about this kid, but from what I could tell he was just a decent player....nothing special. Finally I asked one of the guys playing for Swift Current and they "No, it's because of his older brother, Bryan. He got drafted by the Islanders...".

After that, I started following the Isles and they eventually became my "backup" team to the Canucks. I almost bashed my head against the ceiling when Nystrom scored to beat the Flyers in 1980.

Ok politics aside and hockey stories which are more fun. My son plays in a very good beer league in Fernie. I watched awhile back and mentioned to my son about a particular d-man that stood out. He was David LeNeveu's brother. LeNeveu got a cup of coffee in the NHL and his brother AHL and Euro time. My story was that the brother is now a plumber and got a service call to Rob Niedermayer's ranch. When he got there a buddy of his was already there and said they were playing hockey on the lake. LeNeveu said he had his skates and joined Scott, Scott's son, and Rob + friends for a game of shinny. He told this story to his beer league team so I don't think my passing it along is out of line. He said it was one of the best hockey experiences he ever had. He also said Scott was as competitive as ever and able to skate at a high level even yet at 50. You gotta smile hearing stories like that.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Scott was as competitive as ever and able to skate at a high level even yet at 50.

It wasn't that long ago that if he'd ended his retirement and signed with the Canucks, he probably would have still been an effective top pairing D for us.

And yes, I'm aware that those years had Edler and Tanev as our top pair.

37 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You old cucks are going on about hockey from 50 years ago in a politics thread

Time for your baths

Here’s a little tidbit for you - the older you get the more dangerous a bathtub becomes.

Showers are where it’s at baby!

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

We all agree this is disgusting right?

Show the whole video.

I dont agree at all with hour alists being silenced but

A.  This is The Rebel that has a history of this kind of stuff and gotcha moment style videos.

And

B.  The Rebel has frequently in the past done things outside of camera scope or edited videos that don't show the entire lead up or actions involved.

The rcmp officer in question was acting on their own and not on behalf of the government.  So until we see the entire video let's try and leave the insinuations to the tabloids shall we

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

We all agree this is disgusting right?

That was an assault?   🤣

The cop literally walked right into him.  And you could tell it was a setup because the woman who was walking with Freeland moved out of the way so the cop could interfere.  What a joke.  

I’m surprised his bank account wasn’t frozen.  This is Trudeau’s Canada.  Thankfully not for much longer…

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That was an assault?   🤣

The cop literally walked right into him.  And you could tell it was a setup because the woman who was walking with Freeland moved out of the way so the cop could interfere.  What a joke.  

I’m surprised his bank account wasn’t frozen.  This is Trudeau’s Canada.  Thankfully not for much longer…

Every time this type of thing happens Canadian democracy gets weaker. You don't have to like Rebel news to know that this is unacceptable. Freeland doesn't have to answer his questions but this was another attempt to suppress. 

• ThereItIs 1

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The guy, posing as an actual reporter, is an idiot. Lock him up and throw away the key. 

Rebel news is the worst.

One of their ex-reporters was on the radio a while back. They are the type of 'news' group that look to generate divide. A 'dont let the facts stand in the way of a good story' type group. That is how the ex-employee described them.

Also the cop was pretty out of line from that footage. Getting bumped into shouldnt be grounds to arrest someone. That said, once they identify as police you should start cooperating.

Didn't watch to the end, once he said 'welcome to blackfaces' Canada' he lost my sympathy.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Rebel news is the worst.

One of their ex-reporters was on the radio a while back. They are the type of 'news' group that look to generate divide. A 'dont let the facts stand in the way of a good story' type group. That is how the ex-employee described them.

Also the cop was pretty out of line from that footage. Getting bumped into shouldnt be grounds to arrest someone. That said, once they identify as police you should start cooperating.

Didn't watch to the end, once he said 'welcome to blackfaces' Canada' he lost my sympathy.

The faux reporter was very aggressive. The police officers showed restraint. The officers should have put that idiot on the ground. Our elected officials are not targets. 

• ThereItIs 1

45 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The faux reporter was very aggressive. The police officers showed restraint. The officers should have put that idiot on the ground. Our elected officials are not targets. 

Yikes, that's your take here? 

I am not a fan of rebel news or their antics but this is not okay. 

You know how I know? The 'journalist' was released without charges. 

That 'cop' should be fired and his arrests should be looked into in the past. 

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Yikes, that's your take here? 

I am not a fan of rebel news or their antics but this is not okay. 

You know how I know? The 'journalist' was released without charges. 

That 'cop' should be fired and his arrests should be looked into in the past. 

COP is an acronym for Constable On Patrol. These were officers responsible for keeping our elected officials safe. 
It’s clear this “fake” reporter was very aggressive with one of our elected officials and the police officers showed restraint in how they dealt with the potential threat. 
Our police are amazing! 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yep the sense of entitlement CPC supporters have to be aggressive has steadily grown over the last 20 years. So has their pearl clutching when anyone calls them on it.

And who calls their organization "rebel" in Canada? Only thing missing is a white hood.

• Like 1

Having a hard time drumming up any sympathy for a Rebel News "journalist". Notice that they're using it as a fund raising opportunity, which is likely what they planned all along....

Can't say that I'm surprised that the blame here is being dumped on Trudeau by the usual suspects....

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

They did show restraint. The guy looked very feeble so it makes sense. However, from experience, when police say you are under arrest you should comply. Working the Granville strip for years, I saw many arrests first hand. If you dont cooperate in that environment you eat the cement, as you suggest. 

• ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

They did show restraint. The guy looked very feeble so it makes sense. However, from experience, when police say you are under arrest you should comply. Working the Granville strip for years, I saw many arrests first hand. If you dont cooperate in that environment you eat the cement, as you suggest. 

No it's tyranny, and something to do with bank accounts.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

Its becoming so sad.

I'm one of those voters that would listen to options. I have no problem saying JT has lost the room and it's time for change. But whenever I read stuff like you are mocking or see some of this garbage from Rebel, i just can't walk with those people. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yeah, anyone who says anything bad about Justin gets their bank accounts frozen.....didn't you know?

I bet there are a few posters ITT, who are glad the government doesn't know who they really are.....

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, anyone who says anything bad about Justin gets their bank accounts frozen.....didn't you know?

I bet there are a few posters ITT, who are glad the government doesn't know who they really are.....

but but it was all peaceful. Even the guy pooping on someone's lawn did it in a respectful way. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Its becoming so sad.

I'm one of those voters that would listen to options. I have no problem saying JT has lost the room and it's time for change. But whenever I read stuff like you are mocking or see some of this garbage from Rebel, i just can't walk with those people. 

I keep yammering about it, but it all comes down to Preston Mannings victimhood cult. CPC supporters see themselves as victims, the most down trodden of all Canadians. Its pathetic.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1