Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The people who are saying that the Trudeau haters blame Trudeau for everything are the same people that keep dismissing and/or defending Trudeau for everything.  It's a vicious cycle.  Luckily the vast majority of Canadians see through the bullshit and don't read CFF...

Just ask me about how I feel about wearing blackface.  Ask me about how I feel about money often thrown in the wrong directions.   Ask me how I feel about infation.  Ask me if I want to hear the words 'Canada is there for you.' ever again.   Ask me if he walks the walk or just talks the talk and looks the look.

Then ask me how I feel about him being blamed for things just about all other countries are going through and If I feel Conservatives have a history of doing better.   You can also ask me which party seems to attract the most absolute nutters.  Not at all saying Conservatives are nutters just that that they seem to have more nutters on their side of the fence.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I wish we had better offerings to pick from, but I will vote Liberal again as the totallity of the LIberal platform and policy is if not completely superior to the other two parties who 'might' form government, are absolutely the least harmful to the folks who it would matter the most to. Anyone in or above my income bracket, we are all gonna be just fine no matter which of the three is P.M. but anyone below my income bracket better hang on tight if PP comes to power. 
Lowering Taxes for Canadian Workers means cutting services to Canadians who need help. 

Not to mention anyone who isn't a herterosexual white male is going to have a pretty rough time under PP.  I'm hoping that once an election becomes closer, more people realize just how much of a monster PP is.  He doesn't even attempt to hide it.

• Cheers 2

Black face was just dumb, not his best day at all, but he managed to turn it into a national conversation about ingrained bigotry that many white households had not considered. As many families pointed out at the time, for those of us older folks, we all had a brother or a cousin who trick or treated as a hobo in blackface at one point or another in the 70's. They weren't all racists, but they were all ignorant. Trudeau's blackface 'scandal' helped our country move forward on that issue, I think. Now I would find it hard to argue any adult can remain ignorant of the little hold overs from our grandparents generation that were a part of what we refer to as Systemic Racism. 

Is Justin Trudeau racist? No. I dont think any critical thinking pundit even on the far right would agree that he is a racist. Was he ignorant when he wore blackface, Hell yes!

Am i excusing him for it? No, he took a hell of a beating politically for it, and somewhat deservedly so. Would I topple a government over it? equally no. 

The whole SNC Lavalin thing? If you think any Prime Minister in History has not bent the ear of his various ministers to ensure the government is pulling the oars in the same direction, you are incredibly Naive..okay I will give you one: Joe Clark. He simply was not in office long enough to bend his government to his will. Every single other Prime Minister, that means First Among Ministers by the way, has guided his ministers in Cabinet. Shrug. Not much more to say on it, losing her from the benches was a tough loss, even though she was a rookie parliamentarian, and made rookie mistakes, she certainly was a great symbol for the early days of this government. 

The only other thing I would rant about is the vacation with the Agha Khan: the man is Justin Trudeau's literal godfather, from when he was a baby. 

I take vacations with my wealthy family from time to time, and I don't think it is in any way something to be kicked out of office for. The folks who found it to be gross coincidentally are the same folks who wanted to kick him out of office in the days before the vacation, one he took many times throughout his life and not just because he was the PM. what an absurd thing to worry about "the pm has rich people he talks to" ooooo boogeyman.

Now for stuff i am angry about: taking the Carbon Tax off of Home heating oil. That was a bad decision frankly. I get that he had some eastern MP's in his benches clamoring for something to take home to their constituents about: but taking a leg out from under a key plank was not the way to go. That one is top of my mind right now ..

..but also voting reform. I 100% want Canada to switch to the way the Conservative Party elects its leaders. I don't know why the Conservatives wont support that for our national voting model. It would lend so much more to the MP's in Ottawa to have the backing of more than half the people who voted, simple as that. It would go a long way to fix what is wrong with our election process, while retaining the personal and local accountability for all MP;s. The NDP crap about giving parties seats based on % of votes is garbage: No one wants a "party" to represent them in Ottawa and it takes personal responsibility away from a real person who has to answer to voters in his home riding. Also no one wants a possible KKK party to get a seat because 3% of Canadians are racists, ahem, PPC, cough. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Not to mention anyone who isn't a herterosexual white male is going to have a pretty rough time under PP.  I'm hoping that once an election becomes closer, more people realize just how much of a monster PP is.  He doesn't even attempt to hide it.

Oh he is attempting...his whole Superman persona vs his previous Clarke Kent with a mean bent persona...lol (i am certainly anti PP, but I can admit it) What I mean is all he did was lower his voice and take his glasses off and voila "rebrand" is completed...what a joke. 

Just now, Optimist Prime said:

Oh he is attempting...his whole Superman persona vs his previous Clarke Kent with a mean bent persona...lol (i am certainly anti PP, but I can admit it) What I mean is all he did was lower his voice and take his glasses off and voila "rebrand" is completed...what a joke. 

Really looking forward to campaign ads hilghlighting his history of open racism.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Really looking forward to campaign ads hilghlighting his history of open racism.

To be fair, I don't believe P.P. is a racist.  I do believe he cuddles up to them for votes though. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

To be fair, I don't believe P.P. is a racist.  I do believe he cuddles up to them for votes though. 

His ethnic slurs directed at Indigenous people as well as his comments regarding residential school survivors prevent me from giving him the benefit of the doubt.

31 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Justin Trudeau went from being worth 11 million in 2010 to 97 million in 2023. I could literally say the same

So Trudeau's net worth is $97 million based on a $379,000 yearly salary?  Fuck, I am definitely in the wrong business.  It certainly pays to be a politician...

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is a discussion board.  Unlike you, I've never told other posters to stop talking about something...

well, thats something you can work towards I suppose. And you'll have to show me where I told you to stop talking. Or don't, I honestly don't respect your take on many things. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So Trudeau's net worth is $97 million based on a $379,000 yearly salary?  Fuck, I am definitely in the wrong business.  It certainly pays to be a politician...

And always has.   Been going on for centuries now.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

well, thats something you can work towards I suppose. And you'll have to show me where I told you to stop talking. Or don't, I honestly don't respect your take on many things. 

You said we should stop talking about stupid shit.  You told everybody that.  Thing is, you also talk about stupid shit, so the same could be said for you as well as every other poster.  Honestly, I don't respect your take on many things either, you seem to be argumentative on many topics just for the sake of being argumentative...

• Like 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

You said we should stop talking about stupid shit.  You told everybody that.  Thing is, you also talk about stupid shit, so the same could be said for you as well as every other poster.  Honestly, I don't respect your take on many things either, you seem to be argumentative on many topics just for the sake of being argumentative...

WWJD?

Justin Trudeau’s net worth

While his political career makes up a significant portion of his net worth, Justin Trudeau has various sources of income. According to Marca, he received CAD 45 million (around USD 33.40 million) as an inheritance.

Additionally, an expansive investment portfolio brings in CAD 27 million (around USD 20 million). Although the country’s law bars him from stock trading, he can own shares, which also add to his net worth.

As Canada’s prime minister, Trudeau earns a reported annual salary of USD 379,000. Hence, his total net worth is estimated to be around USD 97 million, reports Marca.

The Trudeaus became wealthy when Justin’s grandfather built the Champlain franchise string of gas stations across Quebec. Among other things, he developed Montreal’s first amusement park (Belmont Park) long before La Ronde.

The family having money, there was no need to seek graft from government operations, in the way Stevie Cameron documented in her tale of graft in a different Canadian government. Read“On The Take: Corruption and Greed in the Mulroney Years”

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Justin Trudeau’s net worth

While his political career makes up a significant portion of his net worth, Justin Trudeau has various sources of income. According to Marca, he received CAD 45 million (around USD 33.40 million) as an inheritance.

Additionally, an expansive investment portfolio brings in CAD 27 million (around USD 20 million). Although the country’s law bars him from stock trading, he can own shares, which also add to his net worth.

As Canada’s prime minister, Trudeau earns a reported annual salary of USD 379,000. Hence, his total net worth is estimated to be around USD 97 million, reports Marca.

The Trudeaus became wealthy when Justin’s grandfather built the Champlain franchise string of gas stations across Quebec. Among other things, he developed Montreal’s first amusement park (Belmont Park) long before La Ronde.

The family having money, there was no need to seek graft from government operations, in the way Stevie Cameron documented in her tale of graft in a different Canadian government. Read“On The Take: Corruption and Greed in the Mulroney Years”

I like to tell this story, but sometimes folks get mad about it. When the elder Trudeau outgrew his nanny, my grandparents were their neighbours and my mom was very little and needed a nanny, as her mother lost her legs, I think diabetes was the culprit. So Pierre's nanny was hired by my mom's parents and became her nanny. 

So fast forward to the 2010's and my mom is a very old barely mobile lady in town, about to walk into a store, following a woman and a black man. The dude held open the door for the lady in ahead of my mom, and then waited patiently for her to hobble along with her walker and eventually catch up and enter through the door he was still holding open. Some minutes later mom passed by the woman and touched her arm and declared with full sincerity; "You have very good help, miss, your man held the door much longer than anyone else would have while I caught up and went through". The woman was disgusted and shocked with my moms words and sharply declared that that was her husband and of course anyone would hold the door for a senior with a walker and mobility issues. Mom was embarrassed to the 13th shade of red and related the story to me directly upon arriving home to her landline phone. hehehe.. 

I dunno why, but that story makes me laugh. She has passed away now, but not before ranting about the local rainbow crosswalk in front of our high school. The month she died she asked me to round up some people to help her paint it white. o.O

No real point there, just a bookend snapshot of one old ladies life. I am thankful that Canada is marching away from Racism and not towards it. I will vote to keep that trend going. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You said we should stop talking about stupid shit.

But he didn't.

He actually made a very good point about what the stunt Rebel News pulled does to our conversations.

What he said was..

We're not talking about solutions to anything, we're talking about stupid shit. "

Quite a lot of exagerations posted today. But what can you expect? we're on the way to becoming a 3rd world country. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

But he didn't.

He actually made a very good point about what the stunt Rebel News pulled does to our conversations.

What he said was..

We're not talking about solutions to anything, we're talking about stupid shit. "

Quite a lot of exagerations posted today. But what can you expect? we're on the way to becoming a 3rd world country. 

Well then maybe you and Bob can start walking the walk and start posting actual solutions to stuff. So far I don’t see anything in this thread other than people trying to one up other posters and making fun of their comments. 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well then maybe you and Bob can start walking the walk and start posting actual solutions to stuff. So far I don’t see anything in this thread other than people trying to one up other posters and making fun of their comments. 

Here is one: if every senior aged 65 and older was guaranteed 30k income by the year 2030, it would only cost canada about 3.5 billion more than we currently pay out to seniors and it would lift a great many people out of old age insecurity and poverty. I have witnessed old ladies buying catfood because it is cheaper than a cut of meat from the grocery store. If we don't address any other group of poor people, we can and should certainly address poverty in old age and give some dignity to those who raised Canada up to where we enjoy it today.

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1