Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So delaying an OAS payment for 2 years is Trudeau’s legacy for helping seniors?  Is that it?  Fuck, I’m all in for a Trudeau V2 government. 8 more years baby!!!   😊

C'mon Petey...this is uber lame....You asked and 4pete answered.

A better approach would have been to counter with whatever plan Pollievre has and explain how that would be better....just like Hippy asked....

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So your response to my question is with another question?  That tells me your answer to my question would be very weak and that Trudeau doesn’t have any solutions so you’re completely ignoring the question.

PP isn’t the PM currently. So it’s not his job right now to figure out how to help senior citizens.  That’s the job of the PM.  So far, all I’ve read is that Trudeau agreed to delay an OAS payment by 2 years.  That’s a game changer really.  Anything else?  Maybe Bob can chime in since he only wants to talk about solutions and not stupid shit…

But haven't you been saying all along that he's as good as elected already? Maybe he should make it his job....

• ThereItIs 2

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

C'mon Petey...this is uber lame....You asked and 4pete answered.

A better approach would have been to counter with whatever plan Pollievre has and explain how that would be better....just like Hippy asked....

PP has no plan to build anything, just to tear it down. 

2 minutes ago, Spur1 said:

People are saying that he plans to make Canada the "freest country on Earth".....that's a plan right? :classic_unsure: Oh yeah....and something about Crypto, too....

If that isn't planning, I don't know what is.....

7 minutes ago, Spur1 said:

Well don't forget we have the essential issue of what a handful of high school kids want to choose as pronouns. It's like building the railway all over again.

• ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So basically you can’t answer a simple question, you have zero solutions to any of the problems and you again use whataboutisms to blame PP for this current government’s failures…

So again I point out how there's little to no chance how PP can make it better while also reminding you how PP was a major cabinet minister in a government that created some of the issues you make victim noises about and you can't address a single one of those issues and instead turn to flippancy and childish rebuttals.

See here's the thing, and it's kind of important.  While you main in to your device about the current guy, you're championing a guy who helped create many of the issues you speak of.

Then instead of facing that you throw your hands up in the air and just tell everyone they're defending Trudeau or dismissing what he's done when all anyone is doing is asking you HOW a guy with a multi decades long record of failure in politics and zero plan of his own, who has promised to fix the problems he in part created; is going to make it better.

Especially when he's tabled no concrete plans of his own outside of eating an apple and creating buzz words like justinflation or Trudeau economics and being angry

• Vintage 1

So your response to my question is with another question?  That tells me your answer to my question would be very weak and that Trudeau doesn’t have any solutions so you’re completely ignoring the question.

PP isn’t the PM currently. So it’s not his job right now to figure out how to help senior citizens.  That’s the job of the PM.  So far, all I’ve read is that Trudeau agreed to delay an OAS payment by 2 years.  That’s a game changer really.  Anything else?  Maybe Bob can chime in since he only wants to talk about solutions and not stupid shit…

And now we're back to the part where I ask if you even understand how our system of governance works.

Trudeau is a butt in the seat of a near 5 year old minority government that is beholden to almost 300MPs and a full Senate to get anything done.

Nothing more.  Yet almost every leveled gripe your camp screeches about is directly caused by Trudeau like he's the root cause of all your issues.

The lengths your camp will go to in order to avoid not only this simple truth, but that of knowing HOW and WHY Canada has reached this point and HOW we fair to the rest of the world is laughably childish.

But I'll give you a hand on your question.  Simply type the following in to your search engine "liberals table bills aimed to helping seniors". Or try "Canada enacts new laws to help senior affordability"

That should help ya a wee bit

45 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

But haven't you been saying all along that he's as good as elected already? Maybe he should make it his job....

Thats Good Patrick Stewart GIF

That's the match right there.  Circle gets the square, good night everybody 

• Cheers 1

HUGE, may be a bit much.  Maybe huge?  I’m still trying to figure out how it actually helps seniors.  OAS is not like CPP where you build up a bigger payment with a longer timeframe.  Nobody puts money into the OAS.  Anyone who is a Canadian citizen or even a legal resident who is at least 65 years old is eligible to collect it.  So what is the actual value to have someone have this payment delayed by 2 years?  

Are their tax implications and tax savings?  OAS is currently clawed back with an income of $91,000.  How many seniors who continue to work make over $91,000?  And if you are making over $91,000 do you really need the full OAS payment?  It’s not fully clawed back to zero until you are making upwards of $140,000.  There isn’t one senior in the country who would ever need that extra $714 a month if they are making $140,000 into their late 60’s.  

Also, the clawback is not permanent, so once a senior stops working or once their income drops below $91,000 they can reapply and receive the full OAS payment…

OK let’s forget all the deflecting for a minute. For arguments sake let’s take the average OAS payment before supplements of approximately $700 per month over 2 years. That’s $16,800 that the Conservatives want to lift from a senior’s wallet that Trudeau stopped from happening and you’re not sure how it actually helps seniors?

You’re just pissing on a senior’s back and telling him it’s a warm tropical mist if you keep pretending that’s not a big deal while people are claiming that seniors are eating cat food under Trudeau. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure. So what exactly has the Trudeau government done over the last 8 years to help with senior poverty?  Are seniors better off today than they were 8 years ago?  

As you pointed out, and I like to think it is because of pressure to do more, like a 30k guaranteed income by 2030, this government has increased the OAS and supplement to seniors in every year, recently 10% increases, which as you said has pushed more and more seniors towards that 30k mark by 2030. There are some seniors who are still facing incredible poverty however and those builders of Canada, housewives, widows and widowers, the people who did what now call 'gig work' for most of their lives, those seniors are literally eating catfood because they can't afford a full pantry. 

You are not alone though, Conservatives from coast to coast don't mind if anyone's gramma starves, and will point to completely unrelated things as a justification: they should have invested better with the ten cents they had left over paycheck to paycheck. They should have taken steven harper up on it when he pointed out the incredible opportunity to invest when the market crashed. But most importantly is the unspoken part: that old broke bitch should have stayed with her abusive hubby like the good lord intended, rather than leave the security of his income bubble. We talk about historic systemic racism, and by and large MOST Canadians get it, even Pierre Poilievre, I would imagine agrees, but when  you talk about historic mysogeny and sexist policies mostly introduced by religious interference in the lives of Canadians, there is a staggering silence from the right. When I know I have a conservative audience and i need an opening joke, I can always go back again and again to the trough of generally what I call 'a womans place'. Gets the old white dudes smiling and leaves them unprepared for a serious chat about equality.

I am going off topic now, but yeah, this government has moved most seniors closer to the 30k minimum income suggestion over the past while which is quite literally the least we can do for the predominantly old women who suffer in poverty at advanced age. As for Trudeau's plans for things not related to this, or his future plans for this: my policy paper was just barely voted down on the convention floor, but it made some headway, who knows, maybe it will gain traction from the grave, or someone else with a slightly better model will push further. By your admission, there aren't very many seniors who will be below the 30k mark by 2030: why not just help gramma out with a top up?

I also want to say the obvious: I am not coming at you, in fact I respect your opinions and thoughts here on the forums quite a bit, just where we disagree, I see a chance to reply to you and speak to a wider audience. No offense is ever intended. Cheers to you. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

You’re just pissing on a senior’s back and telling him it’s a warm tropical mist if you keep pretending that’s not a big deal while people are claiming that seniors are eating cat food under Trudeau. 

To be clear, the exact instance of an old lady buying catfood because it was cheaper than meat was in the late 2000's. I can't speak to any modern era folks, but I am absolutely sure it happens. I know an old dude who has very little CPP as he was self employed his whole life, which blew up on him in the 90's. In his 80s now he has less than 18k a year income with no life savings and he has sold everything he can spare at this point. He isn't eating catfood because folks who know him help him out. There are seniors with less than 2k a month to live on in Canada in 2024. That is shameful. That was my point about the catfood thing. 

• Cheers 1

WHOA!

I know I am subject to 19 years minimum if i break my oath (from holding the highest security clearance in the land back during my career) and jibber jabber too widely. I am guessin the range then for this guy is 19 to 28, yikes!! A good reminder to watch what i say out loud. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cameron-ortis-sentencing-rcmp-1.7077275

Crown wants 28-year sentence for Cameron Ortis, ex-RCMP intelligence official guilty of leaking secrets

Crown prosecutor Judy Kliewer told an Ottawa courtroom Thursday morning that 28 years in prison is "not only an appropriate but a necessary sentence."

"His conduct betrayed the RCMP. It betrayed the Five Eyes," she said, referring to Canada's international intelligence partners.

The stiff sentence may not be directly attributed to what info he spilled, but more in the realm of deterrence for future folks who break their oath of secrecy like that NSA guy who now lives in Russia and is trying to get back to North America with some kind of deal for a reduced sentence. Snowden.

Future double crossers, or turncoats need to know the penalty is incredibly stiff. That is more important than vengeance, punishment, or what have you. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

WHOA!

I know I am subject to 19 years minimum if i break my oath (from holding the highest security clearance in the land back during my career) and jibber jabber too widely. I am guessin the range then for this guy is 19 to 28, yikes!! A good reminder to watch what i say out loud. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cameron-ortis-sentencing-rcmp-1.7077275

The stiff sentence may not be directly attributed to what info he spilled, but more in the realm of deterrence for future folks who break their oath of secrecy like that NSA guy who now lives in Russia and is trying to get back to North America with some kind of deal for a reduced sentence. Snowden.

Future double crossers, or turncoats need to know the penalty is incredibly stiff. That is more important than vengeance, punishment, or what have you. 

Curious how this guy is doing now, he went from being heralded as a hero of free speech and opponent of government overreach to now being viewed as a Russian asset and spy from the start. 

26 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Curious how this guy is doing now, he went from being heralded as a hero of free speech and opponent of government overreach to now being viewed as a Russian asset and spy from the start. 

He is unhappy with his life in Russia, last I heard, and was trying to broker a deal to come 'home' to the US and do some nominal jail time to appease the powers that be. That was some time back however, I am unsure of his fate these past 18 or so months. Maybe he is drugged up and on the front lines in Avdiivka right now? 

15 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Nothing is better than getting a lecture from an old white man about race. 

Bottom line is that this is 2024.  You are still stuck in the 1970s.  Old folks I love and respect have matured and learned from their mistakes over the past 50 years.  I can see here that others... have not.

Do have a problem problem with reading kid?

I never once mentioned 2024.

Facts are my best fiends growing up were Chinese and one was also born in Borneo.  My softball team was the only non native team invited to a  60 teams native tournament on Cowichan native land.

My wife has her status card as her Grandmother was a full blooded member of the Red Rock tribe in Ontario

Maybe you should grow up instead of speaking and mud slinging  about things you have no clue about.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Do have a problem problem with reading kid?

I never once mentioned 2024.

Facts are my best fiends growing up were Chinese and one was also born in Borneo.  My softball team was the only non native team invited to a  60 teams native tournament on Cowichan native land.

My wife has her status card as her Grandmother was a full blooded member of the Red Rock tribe in Ontario

Maybe you should grow up instead of speaking and mud slinging  about things you have no clue about.

Nobody asked you to tell us to brag about your past, how you did blackface 50 years ago and that makes it okay today because it was all just a bit of fun.  Nobody asked you to tell us stories about the racism you experienced as a white man.

I can assure you that as someone significantly younger than you, the racism I experienced growing up in the whiter parts of Canada absolutely sucked.  I was a little kid and fucking adult strangers would call me names or throw shit at me.  That wasn't fun.  It pisses me off when people try to pass it off as fun.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

^  A contributing factor, that can't be argued, but it is not the cause.  Imagine how bad we would be if we didn't have access to this labour pool of new immigrants? Stores everywhere have help wanted signs in the windows already... We are one of the largest nations in the world by landmass and have less than 40million folks, 90% of whom live within a short drive of the US border. Immigration is not the issue.

6 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Feds were warned that the increased immigration was going to cause a housing crisis. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-ottawa-was-warned-two-years-ago-high-immigration-could-affect-housing/

Our economy is centred on housing starts and all industries associated. Bring in millions more! It’s needed to keep our economy going. 

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our economy is centred on housing starts and all industries associated. Bring in millions more! It’s needed to keep our economy going. 

the provinces and regional districts need to step up and get builders enthused. Thinking long term, perhaps some provincial crown corps to get housing starts up.  

It is a pickle in the overall look at housing in Canada, those who own their own homes are loving the price of houses in their area now: those who don't, they hate the price of houses in their area now.  There are regions where you can go today and buy a decent home on a decent property for very little compared to the national average. Thing is everyone wants to stay in the region they were born in. Those of us who moved away and had careers seem to be home owners, those of us who stayed in our home towns are generally not, from what I can see of my grad class after 35+ years. 

I guess what I am driving at is a lot of this could be hammered out and get more home owners if folks with no real vested financial interest in an area were willing to move. You can make minimum wage anywhere in Canada...I don't know why folks want to do so in Vancouver and Toronto specifically. 

• Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Nobody asked you to tell us to brag about your past, how you did blackface 50 years ago and that makes it okay today because it was all just a bit of fun.  Nobody asked you to tell us stories about the racism you experienced as a white man.

I can assure you that as someone significantly younger than you, the racism I experienced growing up in the whiter parts of Canada absolutely sucked.  I was a little kid and fucking adult strangers would call me names or throw shit at me.  That wasn't fun.  It pisses me off when people try to pass it off as fun.

People threw stuff at you? Jesus, where were you when that happened?

The housing crisis has been in the making for over 40 years. Mostly caused by local governments. 
First they zoned out trailer parks because they didn’t want trailer trash in their neighbourhoods. Then they started putting minimum house sizes on developments. Lastly they added

more restrictions and regulations to discourage people building their own homes. 40 years ago a 1000 sq ft house was considered big. Now it is considered small. Now tiny houses are making a comeback. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

People threw stuff at you? Jesus, where were you when that happened?

I was in Canada.  Some meatheads in a car drove past me, threw half a cup of Tim's (wasn't hot) and yelled "Hong Kong go fuck your mom".  I could see the ladies in the car laughing at me when I turned around.  I think I was 12.

I shouldn't take that personally, right?  @The Arrogant Worms is telling me it's not racism, it's called fun.  Right?

• Sad 2
  • Huggy Bear 1