Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Actually Brock and Kuzy are better at deflections than I am.  Carry on...

Maybe so but they have not been here today to take part in any of the multiple deflection attempts.

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When someone is wrong they should admit it.  I was wrong.  I am sorry.

The only defence that I have is that is wasn't going to start until the year 2023, which was last year...

Does OAS Start at 65 or 67? - Savvy New Canadians

The Old Age Security (OAS) pension starts at 65. While there were plans by Harper’s Conservative government to increase the eligibility age from 65 to 67 starting in 2023, this plan was reversed in 2016 when the Liberals came to power.

Please carry on.  This thread seems to have become more lively today.  I do have to do some work, so I'll be back later to respond to the usual suspects...   😊

No apology necessary, it’s just a respectful conversation.

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Don't be offended by it.  After all, you shouldn't be taking these things personally...

Fair enough.  But you're definitely condoning it.  How do you not understand that blackface was never an okay thing?  Like honestly - what the fuck was the point of you sharing that story?

People make mistakes.  People can do bad things.  I have made mistakes and done bad things.  The best anyone can do is learn from their past and be better moving forward, and not parade the old times like it was a good thing.

Pretty sure that was his whole point by bringing up that story.  I think you're reading into things and acting very emotionally.  Take a breath

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When someone is wrong they should admit it.  I was wrong.  I am sorry

You just gained a ton of respect from me EP.

That's strength. Good job. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

FB_IMG_1705013227446.jpg

I didn't agree with Ed on his ideas for solutions, but hard not to appreciate his intentions. 

I miss the days when there was real debate, on real issues. Ed helped in that regard a great deal.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Even if the CPC had good economic ideas (which they don't) their socially regressive ideas and MPs make them unsupportable to me and many former PC voters.

PPs pissy little approach might get him more support while people are angry but that can work for politicians. Sad for Canada but maybe we need to learn the hard way again.

Uggh...no thanks. I've already learned that lesson well enough thanks. Sadly it appears a lot of my fellow Canadians have not. Every decade or so we seem to feel the need to remind ourselves why the Cons should not be running our country. It baffles me that people think they'll actually fix things they historically have even worse record on than the Liberals.

1 hour ago, 5forFighting said:

Weird deflection. Immigration should be stopped for 2 years. You are trying to blame a guy who isn't PM instead of the people in charge. Very telling. 

Immigration is one of the biggest things propping up our economy. Precisely why the Cons won't reduce it either if they form government. It's not even the reason for our housing issues either. Lack of CMHC public housing funding from the Feds as well as incompetence and Nimbyism in local governments are your biggest culprits.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

Don't be offended by it.  After all, you shouldn't be taking these things personally...

Fair enough.  But you're definitely condoning it.  How do you not understand that blackface was never an okay thing?  Like honestly - what the fuck was the point of you sharing that story?

People make mistakes.  People can do bad things.  I have made mistakes and done bad things.  The best anyone can do is learn from their past and be better moving forward, and not parade the old times like it was a good thing.

I was saying how things were.   That is it.  You need anger management or therapy

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I was saying how things were.   That is it.  You need anger management or therapy

Let's go back.  What on earth was the point of your post?  Are you saying things were better?  Or worse?  Or just nothing at all?  What were you trying to say?

On 1/10/2024 at 3:06 PM, The Arrogant Worms said:

For you younger folks .....people painted their faces black all the time at Halloween and theme parties especially in the late 70's to middle 80's 

It wasn't considered racist it was called having fun.

There was no malice at all.

No one got offended.  Not my native friends or other ethnic friends which I had a lot of.

In the middle 80's our slow pitch softball team played in a native tournament native land in Cowichan.  30 team...we ere the only "white" team invited.

We were subjected to racist taunts every game.

We never took it personally.  We ended up getting most sportsman like team trophy. ( and I got MVP)

Bottom line is we are all people.

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Let's go back.  What on earth was the point of your post?  Are you saying things were better?  Or worse?  Or just nothing at all?  What were you trying to say?

I don't want to speak for TAW, but what I think he was doing is pointing out to the people who keep implying that JT is a racist because he wore blackface 20 years ago, is that at the time, people didn't view it the way they do now...

It might have been ill-advised and lacking in awareness, but it wasn't done with any malice, or racist intent.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I don't want to speak for TAW, but what I think he was doing is pointing out to the people who keep implying that JT is a racist because he wore blackface 20 years ago, is that at the time, people didn't view it the way they do now...

It might have been ill-advised and lacking in awareness, but it wasn't done with any malice, or racist intent.

It wasn't in lacking in awareness.   I was saying how it was back then.  That is it.  She is jaded by the truth.  I had colored friends...gay friends back then when no one else did.  I am ready to leave this forum.

39 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

It wasn't in lacking in awareness.   I was saying how it was back then.  That is it.  She is jaded by the truth.  I had colored friends...gay friends back then when no one else did.  I am ready to leave this forum.

Just walk it off, most of us understood what you were saying. There is a big difference between an explanation and an excuse. We grew up in very different times when things were said and done, without malice or intent but would make us cringe today. The list of Hollywood stars who were known to have performed in blackface has well over 150 names on it. Thankfully times are different and we are all more aware and better for it.

One of my favourite quotes from Maya Angelou -  “I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.” 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Just walk it off, most of us understood what you were saying. There is a big difference between an explanation and an excuse. We grew up in very different times when things were said and done, without malice or intent but would make us cringe today. The list of Hollywood stars who were known to have performed in blackface has well over 150 names on it. Thankfully times are different and we are all more aware and better for it.

One of my favourite quotes from Maya Angelou -  “I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.” 

I think that quote perfectly sums it up.  I have more respect for someone who acknowledge they did something "wrong" in the past, promises to do better, and then does better than a lot of people who continually bitch and moan and do nothing more.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

FB_IMG_1705013227446.jpg

Ed and Rick Mercer, doing a bit for one of Rick's shows, sitting at a pub in Ottawa, having a pint and a conversation.

to end their night they went to the Parliament lawn, and made snow angels.

"Every Canadian should do this, at least once in their life"- Ed

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I agree.  Me and TAW don’t see eye to eye on some things, but I don’t think he is a racist or said anything in a racist way.

The most important thing in all of this is for people to understand that blackface was racist 30 years ago and it is racist now.  I think that is Miss Korea’s main point.

For the record, I don’t think Justin Trudeau is a racist either.  The reason I bring up his blackface is always as a counterpoint to the posters who keep claiming PP is a racist and a Nazi.

Maybe we should all tone down on the racist and Nazi bs.  It doesn’t help in any discussions on here.  I’ll be the first one to never use those words again in here…

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  Me and TAW don’t see eye to eye on some things, but I don’t think he is a racist or said anything in a racist way.

The most important thing in all of this is for people to understand that blackface was racist 30 years ago and it is racist now.  I think that is Miss Korea’s main point.

For the record, I don’t think Justin Trudeau is a racist either.  The reason I bring up his blackface is always as a counterpoint to the posters who keep claiming PP is a racist and a Nazi.

Maybe we should all tone down on the racist and Nazi bs.  It doesn’t help in any discussions on here.  I’ll be the first one to never use those words again in here…

I don't think Trudeau is racist either. Disparaging CPC leaders is standard on here and in media as well. That is life in a left of center Canada. 

• ThereItIs 1

Good. 

So we should see less 'blackface' comments as a few are now admitting that they just say it to rile up people they disagree with. They dont think JT is a racist, they just want to act like they perceive the media and some darn lefties do. 

Two wrongs, and all that...

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Good. 

So we should see less 'blackface' comments as a few are now admitting that they just say it to rile up people they disagree with. They dont think JT is a racist, they just want to act like they percieve the media and some darn lefties do. 

Two wrongs, and all that...

its always fun to point and yell 'hypocrisy' on the internet. I think that why it was invented. 

• Huggy Bear 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I've never referred to Pollievre as a racist or Nazi, but I know what you're getting at. It's low hanging fruit as it were and we should be better than that....

That being said, I reserve the right to use the words bigot and racist when and where they are actually applicable, such as for people like Donald Trump and Lynn Beyak....

• Cheers 1