Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Miss Korea said:

Is he gloating about being unrelatable

You got nothing, that’s what I thought. If you can please show me data that proves the increase in social spending has put my tax money to better use since the liberal government took power I’ll donate $1,000 to the charity of your choice and screen shot the receipt to show you I’m not joking. 
I want to see a clear improvement before, during or after Covid. It doesn’t matter. 
the money I donate to charity gets deducted off my income so you’re only doing me a favour. 

• Haha 1

Just now, LaBamba said:

You got nothing, that’s what I thought. If you can please show me data that proves the increase in social spending has put my tax money to better use since the liberal government took power I’ll donate $1,000 to the charity of your choice and screen shot the receipt to show you I’m not joking. 
I want to see a clear improvement before, during or after Covid. It doesn’t matter. 
the money I donate to charity gets deducted off my income so you’re only doing me a favour. 

Not sure exactly what you do for work... but i can assure you...  you are EXTREMELy over paid.......

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, moosehead said:

Not sure exactly what you do for work... but i can assure you...  you are EXTREMELy over paid.......

Hahah, you couldn’t handle the liability I carry. I do “specialized” work. There are only a few people in NA that have my credentials. I charge whatever I want. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Poiliverre is now playing things a little closer to his chest after being effectively dummied for being a loud mouth regarding the state sponsored killing in Canada by the INdian government.

Just days after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made the astonishing allegation that Canada has "credible intelligence" linking agents of the Indian government to the killing of a Canadian citizen, the scandal has scarcely been mentioned during question period in the House of Commons.

There might be a good reason for that, observers say.

"There's a lot of landmines here," said Shakir Chambers, a former Conservative Party staffer and now a principal at Earnscliffe Strategies.

"If you're the opposition, if you overplay your hand on this, it can become a very dangerous issue.

On Monday, Prime Minister Trudeau set off global shock waves when he told the House of Commons that security services have information linking India's government to the killing of a Canadian citizen at a Sikh temple in British Columbia in June.

Hardeep Singh Nijjar, 45, was seen as a leader in the Sikh diaspora in Canada and had been active in a group supporting the push for an independent Sikh homeland in northern India, to be called Khalistan.

The Khalistan movement has a long, often emotional history in Canada.

"The relationship with India is complex. It's fraught with some challenges," said Garry Keller, former chief of staff to Conservative foreign minister John Baird.

"And, you know, that doesn't necessarily distil itself down into nice sound bites for question period."

On Monday, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre called on the House of Commons to "put aside our differences to stand up for the rule of law." By Tuesday, he was demanding that Trudeau "come clean" with more information about the case.

That was fair and smart move, said Keller.

"He asked very, very pointed questions, which is his job to do as leader of the Opposition," he said. 

While the issue wasn't raised in question period at all on Wednesday, MPs did discuss the issue in a special debate Tuesday night.

Conservative House Leader Andrew Scheer was the only representative of his party to attend that debate — a move noticed by others in the chamber.

"I am questioning, and I think Canadians should question, why the Official Opposition is absent from asking those questions and raising these concerns," said NDP MP Peter Julian.

Bloc MP Rhéal Fortin also piled on.

"Where is the Official Opposition that should be here vigorously condemning the situation and maybe sharing some pain and suffering, putting forward its ideas and its point of view?" he asked.

"It is not here."

CBC News has reached out to the Conservative Party for comment but had not heard back before publication.

The risk of 'being on the wrong side'

Chambers said weighing in on such a complex issue would risk a backlash — from outside the House of Commons.

"Being on the wrong side of an issue, or being insensitive [to] the concerns, could have consequences," he said.

Keller said Conservatives don't want to lead on the issue because they don't have any control over the narrative.

"Whatever you say has to also take into account that the news could change radically in the next hours. So you don't want to go out and say something that puts you into yourself into a corner," he said.

"Ultimately, the government of Canada has to deal with this issue. They're the government. They're the one who has the latest intel and latest information. They're the one that has the bilateral relationship with India."

It's why both former staffers predict Canadians won't see Poilievre pivot from his tested messaging.

"If you're the Conservatives, you do not deviate from the economy and cost-of-living issues. If this comes up, have your response ready, but this is not your lead," said Chambers.

'Everything is political'

Focusing on those pocketbook issues has translated into success for the Conservatives in the polls.

"As much as there will be pushback around even raising the 'P' word around this, everything is political and everything has the potential to be political," said Shachi Kurl, president of the non-profit Angus Reid Institute.

"The Sikh community in Canada is one of the largest outside of India. There are elements of that community who have been very involved politically."

While no one voice speaks for an entire diaspora, some community members will feel validated by Trudeau's speech, Kurl said.

"That validation is not going to play badly for the Liberals. It's not going to play badly for the prime minister," she said.

The Conservatives, she said, have to figure out how to avoid alienating those voters while leaving some daylight between themselves and the government.

"The line is a little bit trickier," Kurl said.

"It's something that is a bit of a political imperative, because you're not going to win a majority government or even win the most seats in Parliament" without winning ridings with large Sikh populations, she added.

While the broad issue of foreign interference "speaks to sort of very fundamental principles of Canadian sovereignty and democracy and respect for our borders and our laws and our actual physical sovereignty," it doesn't appear to sway the majority of Canadians, she said

"What we also know, watching a year-plus of coverage around allegations of Chinese interference in Canadian elections, is that as much ink as it took up and as much oxygen as it took up, it did not actually move the needle politically for the Conservatives at all," she said.

"The needle didn't start to move until we saw the Conservatives going all-in on issues of cost-of-living and inflation and I think they've been very mindful of not losing."

While the Conservatives may be exercising caution for now, Keller said, their messaging on Nijjar's case likely will solidify ahead of the next election.

"We're a minority Parliament. If there's 15 to 20 ridings in the country where a swing of 1,000 votes here, a swing of  1,000 votes there can make a difference, I think, over time, parties are going to be thinking about that," he said.

"But it's still a bit fresh right now for people to get their heads wrapped around."

• Thanks 1

Just now, LaBamba said:

Hahah, you couldn’t handle the liability I carry. I do “specialized” work. There are only a few people in NA that have my credentials. I charge whatever I want. 

Maybe you should purchase liability insurance....

Like i said earlier...  you are way overpaid.       Anyone is replaceable, including you and whatever you do. 

2 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Now i know why i am getting ripped off everytime i buy gas in BC.....

Corporate pricing and a single source client that we sell to at effectively below market prices only to then buy back from at an inflated cost in USD thus increasing the cost via exchange and lost added value 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

What kind of comeback did you expect from a "I'm dummy rich" post

1 minute ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Yes, because anything you post on the internet is immediately gone when you take it down. 

My GF assured me the naked pics  i sent would be deleted.....  Are you saying she could be lying ?????? WTF.....

Edited by moosehead

Sorry.  You earn double what I thought you earned.  So that's double the reason for you to pull conservative.

Yes vote conversative.   Live in a gated community so the crack heads can't  snoop at night in your yard.       

Maybe hire a  24 security firm to drive by your place.   Send your kids to an exclusive private school.  Pay for private medical procedures....

Great world. 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, LaBamba said:

do you honestly think inflation some kind of secret? Haha. I already said Covid is a mulligan. 

I haven’t  seen any proof that the increase in liberal social spending since they replaced the CPC improved the overall wellbeing of society. Theoretically it does but you do not see it manifest in any tangible way. Furthermore, it is a narrative that people flock to and embrace to give them a feeling of piousness.

I find it disturbing that people hand the government their money to help the less fortunate but to nothing directly. Here are all the things my greediness has done in the last 12 months that everyone can do. If you’re an advocate for social justice. Live it, see some kids making fun of someone different? stand up for it. If you’re concerned about the homeless population, go buy a pack of smokes and walk around town hand them out and talk to them. I’ve done this multiple times, just talk to them. If you care about the elderly, go to the old folks home and play cards, my daughter plays piano for them too. I also donate directly to the Allan Blair Cancer Centre in Regina Saskatchewan (my home province). I sponsor a family for Christmas every year.

The reason why we are such a mess right now is because we rely on the government to fix our social problems. Doing something directly, 1 on 1 is far more impactful than giving my tax dollars to the government. What had more impact on Vancouver, the money and time the Sedin’s donated to the children’s hospital or their taxes? 

I try to live my life the right way. I do not need the government, the government needs me. So before you call conservatives greedy, know that a lot of them are religious and give back to the community. A lot, you’re just not supposed to go around and make a big deal about it like I unfortunately had to do to prove a point. 

@stawns

The thing is, with our system, the federal government doesn't really have much of an impact on our lives beyond taxation.  Almost everything is provincial jurisdiction and the feds collect the money and make transfer payments to the provinces........the provinces, generally, decode how it will be spent.

• Cheers 1

Here we are talking about how Canada is suffering major inflation for food and housing (lowest inflation in G7, but still not great).

And then an expat 1%er (literally top 1% in Canada) comes in and tells us how inflation and taxes have affected his bottom line.

But this is exactly the issue and people are completely missing.

People are literally only concerned about themselves, their own world and their own household.  EVERYONE is hurting right now.  Fingers get pointed, blame gets assigned and it's always the top of the pile that gets the axe.  In this instance the leading party in canada.

Poiliverre knows this very well and will run on this anger and resentment.  LaBamba is absolutely no different than anyone else in Canada right now with this statement.  We all pay attention to our bottom line period.  It affects our homes, our kids, our lifestyles we pay attention.  It affects our neighbours we don't.  It's human nature.