Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

No one is handing out hormones to any kid who wants them just like no one is handing out fentanyl to any kid who wants it. This is fear mongering bullshit and requires absolutely zero critical thinking. Gender affirming care is medical care done through doctors and counsellors who have the best interest of the child in mind. That's all you need to know. Not a doctor, stfu.

A lack of critical thought is generally the culprit for criminal bullshittery. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

@Elias Pettersson @Wiggums

I did some digging.  The Washington Examiner references the Post Millenial article.  What it FAILS to mention is that the mother fully supported the child and was involved in the process for several years.

https://www.canadianlawyermag.com/practice-areas/litigation/bc-court-of-appeal-finds-trans-teen-can-seek-hormone-treatment-without-parents-consent/325135

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5423577

And that is why I prefer CBC.  A lot more info on the judge's rulings, a lot more context on the situation and the father's protests, and overall a lot less concern for me as a reader that I'm not consuming complete garbage.

Goodness.  That particular article was just to show Alf that there has been children taking blockers...

The main gripe is that some people are for whatever reason denying the fact that 14 year olds can obtain these blockers without a parent's consent

• ThereItIs 1

The greatest threat to a LGBT+ person is their parents. The so called parental rights movement if successful will just increase the number of suicides of teens in the LGBT+ community. The Sogi stuff was designed to try to help stop that from happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

For me rising housing/rent prices, the influx of TFWs/International students, rising personal debt, higher cost of living, cost of vehicles, etc. take more precedence than gender-affirming care of the underage.

I want to be able to afford a house and afford to have kids. Right now neither seems like a possibility.

Well couple bits of good news for you.

Cost of new vehicles will come down this year and mortgage rates are stating to drop.

Still a long way to go on the housing problem. Thats a bit of an onion, but things are looking a better for some things. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

Yes, forget the parents.  Let the mature 14 year old and random doctor decide amongst themselves.  Again, brilliant 

Should all 10 year olds ride public Mass Transit by themselves without Adult Supervision? 

41 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Do you know really mean this?...you really know LOTS of gay people that don't support trans folk?

I find that very surprising. I lived in the DT WestEnd in Van for 2 decades. I knew the community very well and never heard anyone say that. 

I should rephrase that as it didn’t come out right. I know lots of gay people that don’t “agree” with the trans community. As you stated they all “accept” them and support them as we all do. 

Not every gay person believes that men can be women and vice versa. Gay men are still men. They have no desire to be a woman. 

1 minute ago, Wiggums said:

Goodness.  That particular article was just to show Alf that there has been children taking blockers...

The main gripe is that some people are for whatever reason denying the fact that 14 year olds can obtain these blockers without a parent's consent

Only you linked us to a story where the kid DID get written consent from his mother, and the doctors repeatedly reached out to the father (who never responded or showed up to the meetings).

Pulled straight from the court records.  No fucking spin job.  Whatever the reason, you chose to link and post that garbage, so yes - you deserve to get raked over the coals for it.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I should rephrase that as it didn’t come out right. I know lots of gay people that don’t “agree” with the trans community. As you stated they all “accept” them and support them as we all do. 

Not every gay person believes that men can be women and vice versa. Gay men are still men. They have no desire to be a woman. 

Funny you should say that. I know a gay man who just came out as trans. It seemed to be a big deal to them that they worried over how people would react.

2 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

You forgot:

UNDER SPECIFIC CONDITIONS

You seem to ignore the very specific conditions that this can occur.  The kid can't just go and say "I wanna be T", give me some drugs.

Please describe these conditions where this can occur if you wish to retort.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

I assumed that was your whole point from the beginning which is why I said the article completely destroyed the narrative. 

6 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

This.

Just now, Miss Korea said:

Only you linked us to a story where the kid DID get written consent from his mother, and the doctors repeatedly reached out to the father (who never responded or showed up to the meetings).

Pulled straight from the court records.  No fucking spin job.  Whatever the reason, you chose to link and post that garbage, so yes - you deserve to get raked over the coals for it.

Also please feel free to explain how a SOGI supporting teacher "influenced" this medical and legal outcome as was being argued.

1 minute ago, Yoshiyoshi said:

Funny you should say that. I know a gay man who just came out as trans. It seemed to be a big deal to them that they worried over how people would react.

Thanks for sharing. I’m sure there are more out there too. My point was that not all gay people agree with that. But as you pointed out there are obviously some that do. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Maybe the Westend is different as I didn't hear any moaning about that.

'Worst' i heard once was a waiter at our local griping about what he called 'queens'. He was gay but could pass as straight. His beef was that as soon a some of his community come out, they start having a walk, a way they talk, and act. Now, I was the one saying ' maybe that is how they have always wished to be? ' he gave me an eye roll and claimed they were for sure gay but also playing a character. He was just one guy and i dont know either way...just had that memory pop in my head. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Thanks for sharing. I’m sure there are more out there too. My point was that not all gay people agree with that. But as you pointed out there are obviously some that do. 

Your point is moot.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_German_National_Jews

The Association of German National Jews (German: Verband nationaldeutscher Juden), colloquially known as the Jews for Hitler[citation needed], was a German Jewish organization during the Weimar Republic and the early years of Nazi Germany that eventually came out in support of Adolf Hitler. 

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Alf 

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Lol k first of all there's no "us" I was responding to Alf, one person, showing him there are 14 year olds taking blockers, for whatever reason, consent or not.  Could really are less about the article, it's irrelevant.

The fact of the matter is if someone is asked if 14 year olds can get hormone blockers in Canada without consent.  The answer is yes and nobody can debate that yes or no question.  Move on 

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Well couple bits of good news for you.

Cost of new vehicles will come down this year and mortgage rates are stating to drop.

Still a long way to go on the housing problem. Thats a bit of an onion, but things are looking a better for some things. 

Yeah, I heard vehicle prices might drop soon and rates might slowly begin to drop.

I am in save move for the next 4-5 years.  Hopefully, by then, there's some deflating of the market at least. It seems like there could potentially be a boiling point so ima keep on my toes, just in case. 

Gonna use TFSA and FHSA GICs while rates are still high. It's nice since both are tax-free. 

Though I lean more conservative on some issues I do enjoy the FHSA that the Liberal government brought in. Tax deductible and tax-free. Hoping that they raise the cap on it though. 8K a year up to 40k cap doesn't seem like enough by itself. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Maybe the Westend is different as I didn't hear any moaning about that.

'Worst' i heard once was a waiter at our local griping about what he called 'queens'. He was gay but could pass as straight. His beef was that as soon a some of his community come out, they start having a walk, a way they talk, and act. Now, I was the one saying ' maybe that is how they have always wished to be? ' he gave me an eye roll and claimed they were for sure gay but also playing a character. He was just one guy and i dont know either way...just had that memory pop in my head. 

I was at a party on Davie Street last summer with about 50 people. We had a drag show at the party. Lots of fun. We had lots of gay people there. I have two friends that are gay that were at the party. Neither one of them was interested in participating in the show. I actually got involved and started taking my clothes off. Wasn’t even drunk as I don’t drink.

My gay friends like “men”. That’s why they are gay.  Doesn’t mean they don’t support the trans community. They just aren’t interested in it. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Alf 

Lol k first of all there's no "us" I was responding to Alf, one person, showing him there are 14 year olds taking blockers, for whatever reason, consent or not.  Could really are less about the article, it's irrelevant.

The fact of the matter is if someone is asked if 14 year olds can get hormone blockers in Canada without consent.  The answer is yes and nobody can debate that yes or no question.  Move on 

Do you agree that it is a non-issue then? That appropriate protocol was in place for this child to receive gender affirming care?

6 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Your point is moot.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_German_National_Jews

The Association of German National Jews (German: Verband nationaldeutscher Juden), colloquially known as the Jews for Hitler[citation needed], was a German Jewish organization during the Weimar Republic and the early years of Nazi Germany that eventually came out in support of Adolf Hitler. 

I have no fucking clue what you are trying to say or what your point is…

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I actually got involved and started taking my clothes off. 

It was a drag show, not a strip show! ya cheeky bugger.

i kid.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's not really a lot better. Sounds a lot like the people who "love and respect all people" but "don't agree with the gay lifestyle".

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah, I heard vehicle prices might drop soon and rates might slowly begin to drop.

I am in save move for the next 4-5 years.  Hopefully, by then, there's some deflating of the market at least. It seems like there could potentially be a boiling point so ima keep on my toes, just in case. 

Gonna use TFSA and FHSA GICs while rates are still high. It's nice since both are tax-free. 

Though I lean more conservative on some issues I do enjoy the FHSA that the Liberal government brought in. Tax deductible and tax-free. Hoping that they raise the cap on it though. 8K a year up to 40k cap doesn't seem like enough by itself. 

You're probably not going to see much of a dip from present/near future prices. Most are predicting prices to stay level'ish for most of this year and then start climbing back up again.

6 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Alf 

Quit trying to weasel your way out of the fact you screwed up.  You linked the story.  And now you're making statements/judgements about it.  You wanted to show Alf something?  You showed him a trash article whose premise was completely debunked.  That is on you. 

There is no moving on because you clearly believe everything the article suggested.  Own up to your mistake first and admit you screwed up.  Then we can move on.

• Like 1