Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Miss Korea said:

Quit trying to weasel your way out of the fact you screwed up.  You linked the story.  And now you're making statements/judgements about it.  You wanted to show Alf something?  You showed him a trash article whose premise was completely debunked.  That is on you. 

There is no moving on because you clearly believe everything the article suggested.  Own up to your mistake first and admit you screwed up.  Then we can move on.

He may not be trying to weasel. By only reading certain news outlets he may not have read that a parent was involved.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You're probably not going to see much of a dip from present/near future prices. Most are predicting prices to stay level'ish for most of this year and then start climbing back up again.

If you're talking about housing then wages have to go up significantly. They have a bit for my trade. Got like a 17% raise over a few years. 

If it keeps rising it's gonna become more of an issue.

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

He may not be trying to weasel. By only reading certain news outlets he may not have read that a parent was involved.

He is.  This is a typical poor faith tactic of making baseless arguments, forcing his audience to furiously fact-check and debunk all his arguments, and hope they either tire out from bullshit or you just pivot away.  It's like arguing that 2+2=5 and then trying to move on without admitting your mistake.

Posting an American news article about a provincial case was a stupid idea.  And now that we dug some more info up, it looks even worse.  "I don't care about the article it was only directed at one guy"?  WTF kind of excuse is that?

You are giving him the benefit of the doubt when he is literally doubling down.  He doesn't deserve it.

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

He is.  This is a typical poor faith tactic of making baseless arguments, forcing his audience to furiously fact-check and debunk all his arguments, and hope they either tire out from bullshit or you just pivot away.  It's like arguing that 2+2=5 and then trying to move on without admitting your mistake.

Posting an American news article about a provincial case was a stupid idea.  And now that we dug some more info up, it looks even worse.  "I don't care about the article it was only directed at one guy"?  WTF kind of excuse is that?

You are giving him the benefit of the doubt when he is literally doubling down.  He doesn't deserve it.

I'm just trying to be nice. For once.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If you're talking about housing then wages have to go up significantly. They have a bit for my trade. Got like a 17% raise over a few years. 

I just got a job with corrections.

They are doing a 10k yearly retention bonus as they cant find people and they dont pay very well to start. It increases pretty fast though and the pention/benifits are great. 

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Teachers don't "influence" children. They listen, respect and support. It's literally what SOGI is about.

It is in fact part of their responsibility. Besides, it's about giving them a safe space to freely express who they are, without judgement or fear that someone they're opening up to will rat them out to potentially abusive parents. Nobody is "teaching kids to be gay/trans". You'd remove that trust, support and safety from already vulnerable kids? That's utterly baffling.

Yup. I had to look up SOGI. Sounds fine. Kids need safe spaces. Plus, more stuff like this in schools makes it more the norm. Maybe that will help stop all that stupid hate stuff against gay people?  

• Cheers 2

48 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Teachers don't "influence" children. They listen, respect and support. It's literally what SOGI is about.

It is in fact part of their responsibility. Besides, it's about giving them a safe space to freely express who they are, without judgement or fear that someone they're opening up to will rat them out to potentially abusive parents. Nobody is "teaching kids to be gay/trans". You'd remove that trust, support and safety from already vulnerable kids? That's utterly baffling.

Who said anything about teachers teaching kids to be gay/trans?  I haven’t read that in this entire thread. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yup, housing. No argument from me. Growing wage disparity and shrinking middle class are MAJOR problems (ones that get worse under a Con government FWIW). 

We also need a crap tonne of public housing funded by both federal and provincial governments to make a dent in housing costs (and not let municipal governments, Nimby's and developers get in the way of them). How do you think the Cons would do on those? 🤣 

11 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Quit trying to weasel your way out of the fact you screwed up.  You linked the story.  And now you're making statements/judgements about it.  You wanted to show Alf something?  You showed him a trash article whose premise was completely debunked.  That is on you. 

There is no moving on because you clearly believe everything the article suggested.  Own up to your mistake first and admit you screwed up.  Then we can move on.

K  Last time.  I don't care about any article that's been posted, like okay I posted a.shit article, ya got me, sure. 

Once again you're just butting in, reading into things and acting emotionally. 

Literally the only point I've been trying to make the whole time is that you don't need a parent's consent to get the blockers..  why is this so difficult?  Absolute madness

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I'm just trying to be nice. For once.

I get that.  And I'm sure a nicer person can their point across 100 tines better than me.  

But he made a mistake.  And not only is he refusing to own up to it, he is making further arguments based off the article as if it were 100% true.

Everyone can be entitled to their opinion but when they get busted for posting (American) fake news, they should lick their wounds and admit they were wrong.

• ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I’d trust the judgement of a mature 14 year old and yes, a random doctor over the father jailed for contempt in the story Wiggy posted earlier.

its actually not easy to do what this person wanted. But the fear mongers make it sound like its as easy as ordering a pizza. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Alf 

Lol k first of all there's no "us" I was responding to Alf, one person, showing him there are 14 year olds taking blockers, for whatever reason, consent or not.  Could really are less about the article, it's irrelevant.

The fact of the matter is if someone is asked if 14 year olds can get hormone blockers in Canada without consent.  The answer is yes and nobody can debate that yes or no question.  Move on 

Again incorrect

Consent is not the wheelhouse of JUST the parents.

As noted in the law I posted, a medical professional must be present for the initial examination and approve this ONLY after the government seems the child in question a "mature minor" and even then the child in question must pass an extreme medical and mental health screening to be considered mature enough to begins therapy with drugs/hormones.

So while at the most extreme end of things you can make that claim, it isn't true to the actual process at all.

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Depends. 

Was it minor or major? 

This is a hockey forum sir.

Can we address it as 2s and 5s?

Call it the instigator clause

Edited by Warhippy

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. I had to look up SOGI. Sounds fine. Kids need safe spaces. Plus, more stuff like this in schools makes it more the norm. Maybe that will help stop all that stupid hate stuff against gay people?  

Exactly. That's literally all SOGI is about. Supporting kids in a safe environment to safely explore who they are while encouraging acceptance/minimizing bullying for everyone regardless of their sex, race, gender, gender identity, sexual preferences etc.

How horrifying! 🙄

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

20 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Let’s move on.

No point milking the tree’s teat when it’s ran out of orange juice. 

Or something like that.