Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I was also under the impression that you were pro parents' rights, which is just a buzzword for being anti-trans.  I thought  you mentioned it somewhere in that flurry of posts.  No?

No, what I said was that teachers should teach and parents should parent, and that parents have a right to know what their children are up to in school.  I have several relatives that are teachers so I know exactly what they go through.  I am literally having dinner with my teacher cousin tomorrow so I am definitely going to bring this up at dinner and throw all these questions at him that have been thrown at me tonight. I will report back on Sunday in regard to what he says.  He's been a teacher for almost 25 years.

Also, I beg to differ that a parent who wants to know what is going on with their kids at school is anti-trans.  Like what the fuck does anti-trans have to do with that?  What if the kid is a straight white boy?  Like seriously man...

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Like what the fuck does anti-trans have to do with that?  

Literally the entire point of the ignorant "parental rights" movement. It's not about how your kid is doing in math. No teachers are "hiding" math scores from parents.

The only person who should be informing their parents of how someone identifies, is the kid themselves. If they don't feel safe doing that, in NO WAY should a teacher inform the parents on their own. That you can't see how twisted and harmful that could be...I don't know what to tell you.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No, what I said was that teachers should teach and parents should parent, and that parents have a right to know what their children are up to in school.  I have several relatives that are teachers so I know exactly what they go through.  I am literally having dinner with my teacher cousin tomorrow so I am definitely going to bring this up at dinner and throw all these questions at him that have been thrown at me tonight. I will report back on Sunday in regard to what he says.  He's been a teacher for almost 25 years.

Also, I beg to differ that a parent who wants to know what is going on with their kids at school is anti-trans.  Like what the fuck does anti-trans have to do with that?  What if the kid is a straight white boy?  Like seriously man...

You had me going for a second. Thought maybe I really did confuse you with one of the other ones. Nope. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Literally the entire point of the ignorant "parental rights" movement. It's not about how your kid is doing in math. No teachers are "hiding" math scores from parents.

The only person who should be informing their parents of how someone identifies, is the kid themselves. If they don't feel safe doing that, in NO WAY should a teacher inform the parents on their own. That you can't see how twisted and harmful that could be...I don't know what to tell you.

So the kid tells the teacher.  The kid doesn't feel "safe" telling the parent.  Okay, what is next?  Also, when does the parent find out there is a problem?  Do they get a phone call from a stranger telling them the kid isn't ever coming back home?  Is the issue hidden from the parents indefinitely?

Keep this going.  I'm going to have a great conversation with my cousin tomorrow.  I might be there all night...   😊

Edited by Elias Pettersson

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So the kid tells the teacher.  The kid doesn't feel "safe" telling the parent.  Okay, what is next?  Also, when does the parent find out there is a problem?  Do they get a phone call from a stranger telling them the kid isn't ever coming back home?  Is the issue hidden from the parents indefinitely?

Keep this going.  I'm going to have a great conversation with my cousin tomorrow.  I might be there all night...   😊

What's next? The teacher supports the kid and makes them feel safe at school. WTF are you going on about? 🤨 What "problem"...Jesus.

Edited by aGENT

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

What's next? The teacher supports the kid and makes them feel safe at school. WTF are you going on about? 🤨

Okay, so I am assuming the kid goes back home at some point?  

If so, this conversation between the kid and teacher is totally confidential and the parent has no clue what is happening?  Correct?  So, the kid tells the teacher that they are trans.  The kid feels safe at school because the teacher supports the kid while the parents would obviously have a hissy fit and do something stupid.

I just want to get my facts straight for tomorrow night as I have to explain this exact scenario to my cousin who is literally in charge of over 500 kids.  Let me get back to you on this on Sunday.  Should be fun...

Oh shoot, I just remembered, my cousin's wife is also a teacher.  I had a brain fart and forgot.  So I'll get two sides tomorrow.  Thanks...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If so, this conversation between the kid and teacher is totally confidential and the parent has no clue what is happening?  Correct?  So, the kid tells the teacher that they are trans.  The kid feels safe at school because the teacher supports the kid while the parents would obviously have a hissy fit and do something stupid.

I just want to get my facts straight for tomorrow night as I have to explain this exact scenario to my cousin who is literally in charge of over 500 kids.  Let me get back to you on this on Sunday.  Should be fun...

Oh shoot, I just remembered, my cousin's wife is also a teacher.  I had a brain fart and forgot.  So I'll get two sides tomorrow.  Thanks...

While you're at it, why don't ask some of your gay friends if they think confidentiality in school is necessary. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What a heavy discussion to have over dinner.  These talks are for after dinner.

I'm not sure where you are going with this hypothetical.  The parent' rights march/movement is completely geared against any type of sexual/gender diversity in school.  The school system in Canada does a lot more than just teach geometry and physics.  And these angry parents don't care about that.  They're drawing the line at sex/gender.  That's what makes them anti-trans.

Honestly if you want to know how your straight white boy is doing at school, teachers will tell you.  But if he wants to use different pronouns, why is a teacher compelled to disclose that info?  "Because our rights as parents are being violated"?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I hope you and your cousin have a great dinner and a great conversation.   I think though you'd have to expand your sample size to get a handle on this, unless of course you're confident your cousin knows what all teachers think and how all schools function.   

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

What a heavy discussion to have over dinner.  These talks are for after dinner.

I'm not sure where you are going with this hypothetical.  The parent' rights march/movement is completely geared against any type of sexual/gender diversity in school.  The school system in Canada does a lot more than just teach geometry and physics.  And these angry parents don't care about that.  They're drawing the line at sex/gender.  That's what makes them anti-trans.

Honestly if you want to know how your straight white boy is doing at school, teachers will tell you.  But if he wants to use different pronouns, why is a teacher compelled to disclose that info?  "Because our rights as parents are being violated"?

Haha, he's making pizza.  Don't worry, we won't be in heavy discussion until after I've eaten his homemade pizza...   😊

I just want to know what I need to ask him.  I am sure he has already dealt with this, so I probably won't be the one doing the talking.  I am sure he will tell me exactly what his school policy is and what he does personally to his students if he is ever put in this position.  His wife likes to talk, all teachers do, so I am sure she will also give some great feedback.

I am now genuinely curious about this whole process.  I want answers directly from the source.  It's nice to go back and forth in this thread but I get the feeling none of you really know what is going on in a school, so I'd rather speak to a couple teachers myself...

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I hope you and your cousin have a great dinner and a great conversation.   I think though you'd have to expand your sample size to get a handle on this, unless of course you're confident your cousin knows what all teachers think and how all schools function.   

Yes.  I just called my buddy.  He wife is the principal at one of the largest public high schools on the Westside.  Not gonna disclose the name as a quick google search will dox her.  He didn't answer.  I'm gonna call him again tomorrow...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes.  I just called my buddy.  He wife is the principal at one of the largest public high schools on the Westside.  Not gonna disclose the name as a quick google search will dox her.  He didn't answer.  I'm gonna call him again tomorrow...

Load up.  Let me know when you get to an acceptable sample size.   I just wouldn't want anyone to accuse you of that 'I know a guy' stuff again.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

And for the record, I will be reporting back everything.  Even if I don't agree with it.  I just want to know the truth.  This issue is a hot button for me now...

1280x1280.jpg

• ThereItIs 1

49 minutes ago, aGENT said:

What's next? The teacher supports the kid and makes them feel safe at school. WTF are you going on about? 🤨 What "problem"...Jesus.

He's trying the little con trick of out talking you. That's a win for him I guess.

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

The question parents should be asking themselves is why their child feels that there is not enough trust, supportr and unconditional love in the home and yet feel safe enough to share their deepest, scariest secret with their teacher.

Because the parents don't want to be shamed for dereliction of duty.  Trust is hard to build and easily destroyed, but instead of addressing the core issue (trust), they're attacking the thing that would make them look bad (child's trust in others ahead of their parents).

Plus I guess they also don't like the feeling of having their control "usurped", even though it was their own fault for absconding on their responsibility as parents.

• ThereItIs 2

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

The question parents should be asking themselves is why their child feels that there is not enough trust, supportr and unconditional love in the home and yet feel safe enough to share their deepest, scariest secret with their teacher. Maybe rather than attacking the school system for being supportive a touch of introspection about parenting  might be in order. But hey I’m not a parent so what do I know.

I am guessing that there are a lot of children these days that trust no one including teachers and parents and are just lost to drugs, despair and suicide. A very sad state of the world they live in.

• Cheers 1