Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Everyone know that CBC receives government funding. Just as it has with every Conservative government for many decades.

However, I would like to see your proof that CTV also receives government funding, because the evidence for that claim doesn't seem to be as easy to find as you claim. The only reference I was able to find, said that you were incorrect:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5328558/canada-media-fund/

Funny, this was at the top of my google result. Maybe you have a liberal browser?

Just google, "Does CTV get government funding?"

• The company has received at least $122 million in federal wage subsidies, and at the end of 2020 had $3.8 billion of available liquidity.

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

So you're a liar, then.  Someone googled it and showed you're a liar.

Why don't you type in does CTV get government money, if you were honest?

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

So still no source.

It's called google.

Just now, Rob Eh said:

Funny, this was at the top of my google result. Maybe you have a liberal browser?

• The company has received at least $122 million in federal wage subsidies, and at the end of 2020 had $3.8 billion of available liquidity.

Nope. Don't see it.

Post the link, rather than just the bullet point

3 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

It's called google.

Satchmo did your research for you since you insist on posting trash that no one in their right mind takes seriously.

2 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

It's called google.

I did, and then I actually read some stuff behind the headlines just in case I wanted to know what I was talking about.

The Canada Media Fund (CMF, French: Fonds des médias du Canada - FMC) is a public-private partnership founded on April 1, 2010, by the Department of Canadian Heritage and the Canadian cable industry.[1] It is used to fund the creation of original Canadian content and support the Canadian media industry. The fund is composed of contributions made by Canadian broadcasting distribution undertakings (BDUs)—as mandated by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)[2]—and the federal government. It funds roughly $366 million annually.[3]

Feb 9, 2021  The company has received at least $122 million in federal wage subsidies, and at the end of 2020 had $3.8 billion of available liquidity.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/ctv-cuts-hitting-every-part-of-canada-825302980.html

Kevin Crull: The media subsidy myth

The Canada Media Fund, tax incentives, and other funding mechanisms don’t go to broadcasters: They go to independent producers

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/kevin-crull-the-media-subsidy-myth

5 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

That was pandemic funding. Available to any Canadian corporation to offset losses due to Covid.

It was not funding for operations.

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I did, and then I actually read some stuff behind the headlines just in case I wanted to know what I was talking about.

The Canada Media Fund (CMF, French: Fonds des médias du Canada - FMC) is a public-private partnership founded on April 1, 2010, by the Department of Canadian Heritage and the Canadian cable industry.[1] It is used to fund the creation of original Canadian content and support the Canadian media industry. The fund is composed of contributions made by Canadian broadcasting distribution undertakings (BDUs)—as mandated by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC)[2]—and the federal government. It funds roughly $366 million annually.[3]

Feb 9, 2021  The company has received at least $122 million in federal wage subsidies, and at the end of 2020 had $3.8 billion of available liquidity.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/ctv-cuts-hitting-every-part-of-canada-825302980.html

Kevin Crull: The media subsidy myth

The Canada Media Fund, tax incentives, and other funding mechanisms don’t go to broadcasters: They go to independent producers

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/kevin-crull-the-media-subsidy-myth

So you admit you were wrong? They do get money? Nowhere did it specify it was covid bailout money, be honest.

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

They're getting it so they can pump Trudeau's tires....

....according to Skippy and Dippy....:classic_rolleyes:

I wouldn't gloat just yet. I took you to the wood shed on this one. You just said they didn't receive money but now admit they do but it goes directly to the producer. Why does that matter? It's still a subsidy and it shows in the bias in which they report. Money talks.

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

So you admit you were wrong? They do get money? Nowhere did it specify it was covid bailout money, be honest.

I wouldn't gloat just yet. I took you to the wood shed on this one. You just said they didn't receive money but now admit they do but it goes directly to the producer. Why does that matter? It's still a subsidy and it shows in the bias in which they report. Money talks.

Wrong about what?  I've known about the Canadian Media Fund for years and certainly know about CBC funding.

Let's not forget that this was the post that started this whole thing:

CTV and CBC recieve a huge amount of money from the liberals.  It's nothing more than a bribe.  Mainstream media are all liberal sheep at this point.

Edited by Satchmo
typo

I think lost on a lot of people in this thread is that the Liberal Party is more centrist than anything else--hardly 'communist' as they've been described. The dialogue gets confused. Does 'liberal sheep' mean left-wing sheep or centrist sheep, for example?

Also, those cops from the Rebel News arrest video should lose their jobs. Bump into a guy and arrest him for assault? lmao.

Edited by 112

4 hours ago, Rob Eh said:

The original post i did is from an account with 2.2 million followers world wide, how many does yours have?

Leave your pathetic twitter bias out of it too.

Followers does not equate honesty or reality.

Trump has 60 million votes and people still think the leafs will win a cup.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, Rob Eh said:

What happened in 2020 that allowed for companies to receive wage subsidies?

3 hours ago, Rob Eh said:

There should be a serious political thread, one without liberal bias, so we can actually have a conversation.

Without liberal bias?

So a conservative echo chamber where only right wing views are espoused or approved?

The thing about politics is that people will have different beliefs and they will not always agree with your own.  That doesn't mean shutting them out or up is the right thing to do.

If you refuse to hear or accept the alternate points of view it means you're willing to silence your enemies to avoid hearing their opinions because they don't agree with your own

• Cheers 2