Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Bob Long said:

The messaging to tear things down is far easier than building stuff.

"No Trudeau Tax" 

"No mandates"

Shit writes itself.

I don’t even know what to say anymore.

I usually hold back. 

The nonsense is too much at times. 

I digress. 

All perspectives are valid, and they need to be respected, understood and discussed. 

No one has the ‘right’ answer. 

We all need to respect each other as Canadians. 

This is the way. 

53 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Perhaps; but I think that Christa Freeland would be a better

option instead of him.

44 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

My choices in no particular order - Mark Carney, Chrystia  Freeland & François-Philippe Champagne. Also like Marc Garneau but would prefer someone a little younger.

28 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Agree. She’s a force to be reckoned with and knows her shit when it comes to foreign and domestic policy. 

I would happily vote for the Libs if she was Trudeau’s successor. 

My political leanings are elsewhere, but Freeland is amazing. 

22 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Carney would top my list too but I heard that he is not interested in the job.

Mark Carney is built for finance, not politics.  Freeland is built for international relations - her domestic legacy is too closely tied to Trudeau.  Sucks to be the finance minister right now.  When JT goes down, so will she.  She can always go and work for UN or (more likely) NATO.  Someone not mentioned was Mélanie Joly, who is young and has a very important ministerial position (foreign affairs).  The problem with all three... is that they represent the old-school liberal elite.  They are all Oxford scholars.

Champagne is an interesting exception, but he needs to improve his English a bit more before considering party leadership.  He certainly has the looks and charisma.  But the underlying problem with him and the rest of the LPC is that they're not capable of capturing the populist energy getting eaten up by younger Canadians.

As for the other two parties... Jagmeet Singh has done an excellent job in Parliament, but ultimately how is anyone going to outdo Jack?  He had such an emphatic last act, taken away at the worst time.  He left some massive shoes that the party has failed to fill in.  The Green Party has the exact same problem, with no successor to May (which is why they keep bringing her back).

55 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Agree. She’s a force to be reckoned with and knows her shit when it comes to foreign and domestic policy. 

I would happily vote for the Libs if she was Trudeau’s successor. 

My political leanings are elsewhere, but Freeland is amazing. 

I still think she's doing most of the actual legwork for anything important:

• Negotiated the NAFTA replacement effectively
  • Cut off financing from outside the country to a domestic terror attack
  • Was one of the driving forces to cut Russia off from SWIFT.

She'd make an excellent PM and would have my vote as someone who usually votes NDP.

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Mark Carney is built for finance, not politics.  Freeland is built for international relations - her domestic legacy is too closely tied to Trudeau.  Sucks to be the finance minister right now.  When JT goes down, so will she.  She can always go and work for UN or (more likely) NATO.  Someone not mentioned was Mélanie Joly, who is young and has a very important ministerial position (foreign affairs).  The problem with all three... is that they represent the old-school liberal elite.  They are all Oxford scholars.

Champagne is an interesting exception, but he needs to improve his English a bit more before considering party leadership.  He certainly has the looks and charisma.  But the underlying problem with him and the rest of the LPC is that they're not capable of capturing the populist energy getting eaten up by younger Canadians.

As for the other two parties... Jagmeet Singh has done an excellent job in Parliament, but ultimately how is anyone going to outdo Jack?  He had such an emphatic last act, taken away at the worst time.  He left some massive shoes that the party has failed to fill in.  The Green Party has the exact same problem, with no successor to May (which is why they keep bringing her back).

Do we really need populist energy right now though? Haven't we had enough of that? I would think young people would be more concerned about careers and first homes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

There are troll farms all over the world spreading lies and hate, and they all seem to be dedicated to the far right. Wonder why that is? Even Trudeau had one based in Cairo, and I'm sure more than one in Russia. These people have one purpose, to destabilize western nations, and some of these morons are leaning right into it. 

Lol you gotta source for that claim?

18 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

"Second, Facebook pushes engaging content on pages to people who don’t follow them. When users’ friends comment on or reshare posts on one of these pages, those users will see it in their newsfeeds too. The more a page’s content is commented on or shared, the more it travels beyond its followers. This means troll farms, whose strategy centers on reposting the most engaging content, have an outsize ability to reach new audiences.

Third, Facebook’s ranking system pushes more engaging content higher up in users’ newsfeeds. For the most part, the people who run troll farms have financial rather than political motives; they post whatever receives the most engagement, with little regard to the actual content. But because misinformation, clickbait, and politically divisive content is more likely to receive high engagement (as Facebook’s own internal analyses acknowledge), troll farms gravitate to posting more of it over time, the report says."

Sounds like this is a Facebook problem. Why aren't they being held accountable for this? Their algorithm clearly is allowing for this to happen. 

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

"Second, Facebook pushes engaging content on pages to people who don’t follow them. When users’ friends comment on or reshare posts on one of these pages, those users will see it in their newsfeeds too. The more a page’s content is commented on or shared, the more it travels beyond its followers. This means troll farms, whose strategy centers on reposting the most engaging content, have an outsize ability to reach new audiences.

Third, Facebook’s ranking system pushes more engaging content higher up in users’ newsfeeds. For the most part, the people who run troll farms have financial rather than political motives; they post whatever receives the most engagement, with little regard to the actual content. But because misinformation, clickbait, and politically divisive content is more likely to receive high engagement (as Facebook’s own internal analyses acknowledge), troll farms gravitate to posting more of it over time, the report says."

Sounds like this is a Facebook problem. Why aren't they being held accountable for this? Their algorithm clearly is allowing for this to happen. 

Simple. Because clicks and outrage = $$$$$$

• ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

It's almost like they want the people to be divided?

I don't think they honestly care either way. However, anger (like sex) sells. If everyone started liking happy peaceful posts on Facebook, then no divisive posts would ever be seen.

EDIT: To clarify - by 'they' I'm referring to Facebook, not the troll farms that use it to their benefit.

Edited by StrayDog

22 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

You asked for a source to confirm there are troll farms in existence and I gave you three. I have no idea what the nonsense posted above is supposed to mean, other than an attempt to deflect....

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

It's a problem period.  The fact is, these troll/bot farms exist solely to divide western civilization and they promote almost universally right wing content meant to incite the right.

Doesn't matter what platform it is on, they exist.  Period.  They target one side of the aisle almost without question.  Period.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

There are troll farms all over the world spreading lies and hate, and they all seem to be dedicated to the far right. Wonder why that is? Even Trudeau had one based in Cairo, and I'm sure more than one in Russia. These people have one purpose, to destabilize western nations, and some of these morons are leaning right into it. 

I can fly to Ottawa right now and point to a door in an industrial section of town that houses a cube farm of Conservative Party paid trolls. They sometimes work in shifts, they aren't advertising, or phone banking, they are working social media hard. it is almost noon and i would guess a dozen people minimum are there. They spend their donation money received on very high return activities. If they tell two friends and they tell two friends....then a smear is spread coast to coast to coast pretty quick. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I wonder how quickly the outrage will spread once PP is elected if within days F*CK POLIVERE flags started turning up on trucks and mid seized sedans across the country.  If people started blaming their every economic or employment issue on PP and if 10,000 pissed off soccer moms drove to ottawa to protest him and shut down rideau and wellington, all of elgin and maybe spark as well.  If they started honking their horns, occupying the city and shutting down border crossings simply because he was in charge just months after he was elected.

Does anyone think that the irony would be lost on the idiocy if that happened and they took to social media to proclaim how outrageous and disrespectful it was?

One of the single largest and most potent weapons that the left, far left and centre left ignore and refuse to pick up is the mimicking of the behaviour of the right.

If people like Trudeau, Singh, influential politicians in Canada (and the US even) simply repeated word for word what members of the right have said, committed the exact same actions the right have done, only in a liberal slant or left wing position.  You can be abslutely positively sure without hesitation that the conservative base would be furious but would fail utterly to see the reflection they'd be upset about.

As for me?  I am gonna get my FU Pierre flag ready for my subaru 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I wonder how quickly the outrage will spread once PP is elected if within days F*CK POLIVERE flags started turning up on trucks and mid seized sedans across the country.  If people started blaming their every economic or employment issue on PP and if 10,000 pissed off soccer moms drove to ottawa to protest him and shut down rideau and wellington, all of elgin and maybe spark as well.  If they started honking their horns, occupying the city and shutting down border crossings simply because he was in charge just months after he was elected.

Does anyone think that the irony would be lost on the idiocy if that happened and they took to social media to proclaim how outrageous and disrespectful it was?

One of the single largest and most potent weapons that the left, far left and centre left ignore and refuse to pick up is the mimicking of the behaviour of the right.

If people like Trudeau, Singh, influential politicians in Canada (and the US even) simply repeated word for word what members of the right have said, committed the exact same actions the right have done, only in a liberal slant or left wing position.  You can be abslutely positively sure without hesitation that the conservative base would be furious but would fail utterly to see the reflection they'd be upset about.

I think many might see flags protests as a twisted confirmation that PP is doing his job.  As long as gas prices are low and they have their job, they'll laugh at anyone else angry at PP.

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I think many might see flags protests as a twisted confirmation that PP is doing his job.  As long as gas prices are low and they have their job, they'll laugh at anyone else angry at PP.

Gas prices are dropping already.  

But that won't matter to the idiocy will it?

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

You asked for a source to confirm there are troll farms in existence and I gave you three. I have no idea what the nonsense posted above is supposed to mean, other than an attempt to deflect....

Just pointing out the facts from the very article you linked?

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Do we really need populist energy right now though? Haven't we had enough of that? I would think young people would be more concerned about careers and first homes.

Yes.  We do need populist energy.  By definition it is about appealing to the needs of ordinary people and not the elite.  There is nothing inherently wrong with that.  It has merely been co-opted by the conservative movement through venal lies, leaving the left in the dust.  

That is the direction Canada has gone due to the ongoing culture war in the United States.  Ten years ago I believed Canada was better than this and wouldn’t be affected.  I was young and naïve to think that.  Even more disappointing is that Canada might have elected a Bernie Sanders type figure if we had one.  But we haven't had one for some time now.

Millennials/gen Z are caring less about social policies.  They just believe whatever garbage Poilievre is promising (which honestly doesn't boil down to much).  It's embarrassing to see, but I also don't blame their situation.  Housing was ignored by the federal government for too long.  While they might not have direct control over housing, they can inject tons of funding and flex its muscle - and they haven't.  

33 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You would sink to their level of stupidity?  To prove what?  You think those people will understand the irony of it?

Poilievre's appeal is his ability to identify the most pressing problem in Canada - the economy.  Inflation hurts.  Housing shortage hurts.  Income instability hurts.  Now he is blaming Justin Trudeau for all of this, which is a joke.  Someone like Singh doesn't have to be an attack dog to broaden his appeal.  But he does need to walk the walk.  His upper middle class image has already affected the NDP's popularity - a leader of the working class party should not be wearing a Rolex and drive a Z4M.  

56 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Just pointing out the facts from the very article you linked?

And I was pointing out the "fact" that troll farms exist....something you thought was "lol" funny. Whatever else you're on about has nothing to do with anything I said.

8 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

And I was pointing out the "fact" that troll farms exist....something you thought was "lol" funny. Whatever else you're on about has nothing to do with anything I said.

Yea and by admission of one of the very articles you linked, they mostly do it for financial gain. In fact most aren't even political. You sound like Alex Jones. There isn't some global conservative conspiracy to brainwash everyone. Yea, there are bad actors spreading bull shit just like in every walk of life. This is wild though