Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Yea and by admission of one of the very articles you linked, they mostly do it for financial gain. In fact most aren't even political. You sound like Alex Jones. There isn't some global conservative conspiracy to brainwash everyone. Yea, there are bad actors spreading bull shit just like in every walk of life. This is wild though 

Who cares why they do it? That wasn't what I was commenting on.

You laughed at the idea of troll farms and got caught with your pants down as usual. All I was doing was letting you know about it.

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Who cares why they do it? That wasn't what I was commenting on.

You laughed at the idea of troll farms and got caught with your pants down as usual. All I was doing was letting you know about it.

Lol what? The claim was troll farms were used to spread political misinformation. While that's not entirely wrong, it's quite clearly obvious MOST troll farms operate to make money and have nothing to do with political leanings. Was pointing that out. 

Bob who spreads bullshit on Facebook isn't running a troll farm

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Lol what? The claim was troll farms were used to spread political misinformation. While that's not entirely wrong, it's quite clearly obvious MOST troll farms operate to make money and have nothing to do with political leanings. Was pointing that out. 

Do you have a source for this claim? 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Who pays them?

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

Yes.  We do need populist energy.  By definition it is about appealing to the needs of ordinary people and not the elite.  There is nothing inherently wrong with that.  It has merely been co-opted by the conservative movement through venal lies, leaving the left in the dust.  

That is the direction Canada has gone due to the ongoing culture war in the United States.  Ten years ago I believed Canada was better than this and wouldn’t be affected.  I was young and naïve to think that.  Even more disappointing is that Canada might have elected a Bernie Sanders type figure if we had one.  But we haven't had one for some time now.

Millennials/gen Z are caring less about social policies.  They just believe whatever garbage Poilievre is promising (which honestly doesn't boil down to much).  It's embarrassing to see, but I also don't blame their situation.  Housing was ignored by the federal government for too long.  While they might not have direct control over housing, they can inject tons of funding and flex its muscle - and they haven't.  

You would sink to their level of stupidity?  To prove what?  You think those people will understand the irony of it?

Poilievre's appeal is his ability to identify the most pressing problem in Canada - the economy.  Inflation hurts.  Housing shortage hurts.  Income instability hurts.  Now he is blaming Justin Trudeau for all of this, which is a joke.  Someone like Singh doesn't have to be an attack dog to broaden his appeal.  But he does need to walk the walk.  His upper middle class image has already affected the NDP's popularity - a leader of the working class party should not be wearing a Rolex and drive a Z4M.  

We are already left of Bernie up here.

The problem with populist appeal is it bleeds into useless populism and is just there to benefit a small number of people at the top of whatever political heap gets elected.

PP isn't going to do anything but fuel millenial male anger. 

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

How did we get from @JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo’s post stating that there were troll farms all over the world spreading lies and hate to your assertion that most operate to make money? Both can be true.

You asked for a source and got some. What’s the debate?

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

We are already left of Bernie up here.

The problem with populist appeal is it bleeds into useless populism and is just there to benefit a small number of people at the top of whatever political heap gets elected.

PP isn't going to do anything but fuel millenial male anger. 

This is kinda missing the point of the energy that Bernie brought to the progressive side of American politics.  It is only useless populism when it's co-opted by conservatives who have become more bold-faced in their treachery and drive for political gain.

For what it's worth, I have seen several white women I know openly support the Conservatives - seemingly their first political expressions as adults in their 20s/30s.  Personally, I think they're stupid, but in democracy it's their votes against my one.  I'm sure there are polls out there which would back up my anecdote.  Millenials were generally apathetic to politics, at least here in Canada.  Not anymore.

14 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

How did we get from @JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo’s post stating that there were troll farms all over the world spreading lies and hate to your assertion that most operate to make money? Both can be true.

Because it's being made out like it's some  secret coordinated conservative movement when in reality there's a couple losers in their basement spreading bullshit. The people their message is reaching are probably already looking for that message anyways 

SOOOOO close to getting it.

A few people (trolls, influencers) influencing a larger number of people.  Those people (latter) are the ones who showed up for FREEDUMB rallies.  Post BS on social media.  Go to TRUMP rallies.  Show up in Dallas to see JFK Jr. come back from the dead to endorse their GEOTUS (yes, some in MAGA are calling TRUMP the God Emperor of the US).  I can go on.

• Vintage 2

Because it's being made out like it's some  secret coordinated conservative movement when in reality there's a couple losers in their basement spreading bullshit. The people their message is reaching are probably already looking for that message anyways 

Maybe we are having two separate conversations here.   It has yet to be proven to me that the conservatives have some plot to disseminate misinformation, which seems to be your sticking point.   I have seen enough evidence to see that foreign governments do disseminate misinformation.  I have also seen enough information to know that Meta and Google have both been called to testify in Congress and the British Parliament to explain what they can do better to avoid propagating that misinformation.  

5 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

SOOOOO close to getting it.

A few people (trolls, influencers) influencing a larger number of people.  Those people (latter) are the ones who showed up for FREEDUMB rallies.  Post BS on social media.  Go to TRUMP rallies.  Show up in Dallas to see JFK Jr. come back from the dead to endorse their GEOTUS (yes, some in MAGA are calling TRUMP the God Emperor of the US).  I can go on.

If you truly think a few basement dwellers are the driving force behind trumps popularity you may be fairly disappointed later this year.

39 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

The debate is, he got made to look the fool and now he's moving to goalposts to try and cover.....:classic_rolleyes:

• ThereItIs 1

If you truly think a few basement dwellers are the driving force behind trumps popularity you may be fairly disappointed later this year.

It is more than a few basement dwellers.   One might ask who is driving them?  Roger Stone would be just one of them but I'll pick him because he's in the news lately. Is he a man who inspires your trust?.

6 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Someone doesn't understand how indoctrination of the masses works

Trudeau and sleepy Joe will both be out soon enough and maybe we can finally regain some normalcy.  Good times ahead

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Speaking of "bullshit"....:classic_rolleyes:

You asked for a source and included the "lol" to show how ridiculous you thought Joey's claim was. If your complaint was just the reason for the existence of troll farms, (which is not strictly to make money) you would have made that claim, instead of asking for a source....

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

You would sink to their level of stupidity?  To prove what?  You think those people will understand the irony of it?

Poilievre's appeal is his ability to identify the most pressing problem in Canada - the economy.  Inflation hurts.  Housing shortage hurts.  Income instability hurts.  Now he is blaming Justin Trudeau for all of this, which is a joke.  Someone like Singh doesn't have to be an attack dog to broaden his appeal.  But he does need to walk the walk.  His upper middle class image has already affected the NDP's popularity - a leader of the working class party should not be wearing a Rolex and drive a Z4M.  

You're missing the point sir.

If every politician to the left of centre defended their actions word for word like those on the right do.  It would absolutely hammer the centrists/fence sitters in to action.

The largest voting bloc/demographic is in the middle of everything and they don't tend to worry about much other than their bank accounts.  If the left started acting as petulant and started pointing fingers or responding in the exact same/verbatim words that the right uses, I do believe the irony would not be lost on many of those in the middle

2 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Trudeau and sleepy Joe will both be out soon enough and maybe we can finally regain some normalcy.  Good times ahead

More like good times gone.