Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Do I need to file my Canadian taxes if I live and work in Dubai. or TEXAS.  - LOL 

However, if you are not a resident of Canada for tax purposes, you are only required to report your Canadian-source income on your Canadian tax return. This means that if you are living and working in Dubai, you will only need to file a tax return in Canada if you have earned income in Canada.

https://taxeveryday.com/blogs/news/do-i-need-to-file-my-canadian-taxes-if-i-live-and-work-in-dubai#:~:text=As a Canadian citizen%2C you,income that exceeds certain thresholds.

Edited by moosehead

Just now, moosehead said:

Do I need to file my Canadian taxes if I live and work in Dubai. or TEXAS.  - LOL 

However, if you are not a resident of Canada for tax purposes, you are only required to report your Canadian-source income on your Canadian tax return. This means that if you are living and working in Dubai, you will only need to file a tax return in Canada if you have earned income in Canada.

https://taxeveryday.com/blogs/news/do-i-need-to-file-my-canadian-taxes-if-i-live-and-work-in-dubai#:~:text=As a Canadian citizen%2C you,income that exceeds certain thresholds.

Let it go, he clarified he meant residency, not citizenship.  He's a factual resident as defined by GC.

On 9/20/2023 at 6:59 PM, Inspector BlakeQuinn said:

I have many sources that I can't share here. Bottom line, no testosterone fuelled teenaged boys have any business in a female safe space like their sports teams or locker room but under sogi 123 all they have to do is say they identify as whatever.

This is about protecting children.

If you can't see that then you're not worth my time. Of course the teachers on here are going to disagree, you're brainwashed and indoctrinated by your own curriculum.

Not worth my time anymore.

The rallies today were peaceful and powerful.

Transgenderism doesn't Belong in schools

Fml this is the most asinine response I’ve ever heard…

I have proof, but I can’t show you.  Let me guess you also have info on a stolen election fml!!

face it, you are just a bigot, member of the fringe minority. Your “powerful” protests were out-powered by counter protests across the country.  Now y’all are just making yourself look silly

39 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

everyone is acting like the CPC is going to convert Canada  into a libertarian society. The cycle roughly goes. Left, spend on social programs, Right, tighten the budget and so on. It’s time to tighten it up. You’re most likely not going to see a CPC government big enough to outvote the liberal and NDP so I don’t understand why everyone is so worried. 

That is the biggest con the right have ran on for the longest time.

Deficits tend to increase under conservative governments in both US and Canada due to tax cuts resulting in revenue cuts exceeding any cuts to social programs. When the left gets back in, they increase tax which have the opposite effect where revenue increases outpace increases from social programs. 

Here is Canada's deficit by percentage of gdp.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/230626/cg-b001-eng.htm

As you can see under Harper, after his first minority, the deficit ballooned and after JT got in the deficit was close to parity on average until covid hit which skyrocketed the deficit as expected. 

Go back in time to the beginning where The deficit was very high under the pcp and was eventually brought down and held near parity under the Liberals. 

Well it doesn't matter if you hate tax on principle I guess. 

Edited by 24K
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I could easily move down here but I don’t because Canada is better overall. I see what these poor bastards pay for healthcare. I understand the importance of taking care of each other. I just get concerned when we get crazy with the spending. 

That's part of what governments are kind of responsible for though - taking care of their citizens.  And there is economy of scale at play when governments create programs or procure services.  

I'm not as concerned about how much spending is happening.  For me, it's the efficacy and efficiency of that spending that matters.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I’m not going to come out of the boards here with the puck. I get a little carried away. Nobody remembers the bipartisan things that I say. There are many things I like from both sides of the spectrum which is why I feel the CPC needs more representation in parliament so we are all covered. I could easily move down here but I don’t because Canada is better overall. I see what these poor bastards pay for healthcare. I understand the importance of taking care of each other. I just get concerned when we get crazy with the spending. 

The CPC is typically overrepresented in Canadian politics, especially when they win.

By the way, I just realized you thought I accused you of lying.  That's hilarious.  I never doubted you were rich, but you essentially exposed yourself for being absurdly rich to the point where you are completely out of touch with what average Canadians are struggling through.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, moosehead said:

Thats OK.....  You messed up with your support for that cockroach PP as well.... 

PP has never had an actual real job in his life.....  

listen, the CPC has never replaced Rona Ambrose. I hate PP he is just as annoying as JT. Watching them debate is excruciating. Let’s be really honest though. Does JT seem like a cool guy? I’d like to throttle both of them. 
my all time favourite Canadian politicians are

Rona (obviously)

Harper

Layton

Chretien was a savage too. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, LaBamba said:

listen, the CPC has never replaced Rona Ambrose. I hate PP he is just as annoying as JT. Watching them debate is excruciating. Let’s be really honest though. Does JT seem like a cool guy? I’d like to throttle both of them. 

Rona (obviously)

Harper

Layton

the CPC/Harper really screwed up not picking Ambrose. She'd be in her second majority term right now. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

Rona (obviously)

Harper

Layton

What about

In May 2020, it was announced that Rona Ambrose had joined the board of directors of the e-cigarette company

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The CPC is typically overrepresented in Canadian politics, especially when they win.

By the way, I just realized you thought I accused you of lying.  That's hilarious.  I never doubted you were rich, but you essentially exposed yourself for being absurdly rich to the point where you are completely out of touch with what average Canadians are struggling through.

I feel like we’ve gotten off on the wrong foot. I’m sorry if I offended you. I get carried away. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, LaBamba said:

Rona (obviously)

Harper

Layton

That we can agree. We need Chretien v2.0 really badly right about now. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, LaBamba said:

I feel like we’ve gotten off on the wrong foot. I’m sorry if I offended you. I get carried away. 

I think iin many ways we are all not actually far apart...   We alll want good government that controls its spending.  We all want the government out of our bedrooms and....

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, moosehead said:

What about

In May 2020, it was announced that Rona Ambrose had joined the board of directors of the e-cigarette company

In all honesty though, that’s a tough gig. It just shows you how amazing she is. She is done with politics anyway which is very unfortunate. 

Just now, LaBamba said:

In all honesty though, that’s a tough gig. It just shows you how amazing she is. She is done with politics anyway which is very unfortunate. 

I support youth sports so anyone involved in e - cigs is  a pariah......      Nothing more important than the health of our kids...

2 minutes ago, 24K said:

That is the biggest con the right have ran on for a longest time.

Deficits tend to increase under conservative governments in both US and Canada due to tax cuts resulting in revenues exceeding any cuts to social programs. When the left gets back in, they increase tax which have the opposite effect where revenue outpace increase from social programs. 

Here is Canada's deficit by percentage of gdp.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/230626/cg-b001-eng.htm

As you can see under Harper, after his first minority, the deficit ballooned and after JT got in the deficit was close to parity on average until covid hit which skyrocketed the deficit as expected. 

Go back in time to the beginning where The deficit was very high under the pcp and was eventually brought down and held near parity under the Liberals. 

Well it doesn't matter if you hate tax on principle I guess. 

Same kinda story in the US.

One example I go to is Brownback's Kansas.  He massively cut taxes, which is a common policy of their conservatives known as Republicans.  The Grand ole Party (GOP).  The result of those tax cuts was the deficits went up.  They then used the massive deficits to justify cutting infrastructure spending and social programs like education.  They promised that these cuts would lead to increases in the economy.  That this economic increase would then pay for the tax cuts.  In reality, Kansas underperformed compared to its neighbouring states.  FYI, Kansas borders Nebraska to the north, Missouri to the east, Oklahoma to the south, and Colorado to the west.  There are Republican states in that list. 

Eventually, those Brownback tax cuts were largely repealed by the largely Republican controlled state government.

So even conservatives can learn that cutting taxes really don't do the things that CONservatives think cutting taxes will do.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 24K said:

That we can agree. We need Chretien v2.0 really badly right about now. 

As much as I liked him when he had his run in the '90s, I would definitely not want him and his policy of engagement with the prc under the current prevailing geopolitical situation.  No good will ever come of acquiescing to the ccp's demands.

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

As much as I liked him when he had his run in the '90s, I would definitely not want him and his policy of engagement with the prc under the current prevailing geopolitical situation.  No good will ever come of acquiescing to the ccp's demands.

Yeah I doubt any PM would bend over backwards for the ccp after the 2 Micheals. (Well we will see what PP do if he ever gets there.)

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Which is why voting for more social spending is useless 

Not trying to attack you or anything, but I disagree. 

The more expensive things get the more people need help, the average Canadian doesn't make anything close to what you've informed folks you make. People need help from their provincial governments and the federal government. 

In BC alone over a million individuals don't have access to a family doctor, about six million Canadians do not. As of September 8th, 2022. I have a family doctor in Nanaimo, I moved up to Dawson Creek in June. I plan on moving back to Nanaimo within three or four years. The only time I'm going to try and access a doctor is when I'm visiting on the island because I'm terrified of somehow losing my doctor. The waiting lists are long. If anything gets bad I'll just go to emergency or try and wait for however long it takes in a walk in, although my options via a walk in are more limited.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/angus-reid-institute-doctor-access-bc-1.6575386

More Canadians than ever are accessing food banks, folks from all sorts of age demographics. It's not something I've had to do in a while but it's something I've had to do within the past seven years.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/food-banks-and-other-food-charities-anticipate-a-60-per-cent-increase-in-demand-in-2023-1.6225412

https://macleans.ca/longforms/food-banks-affordability-inflation-groceries/

Voting for more social spending is essential for those closer, or below, the poverty line. It is something that needs to continue regardless of which government is installed at a federal level, or at a provincial level. Basics such as food, shelter, and healthcare aren't accessible for many, particularly your more marginalized demographics, the government has a duty to take care of it's citizens. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, moosehead said:

I support youth sports so anyone involved in e - cigs is  a pariah......      Nothing more important than the health of our kids...

Come on, admit she was a great conservative. I admitted to Jack Layton. I think she was the best the party has ever had. 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Not trying to attack you or anything, but I disagree. 

The more expensive things get the more people need help, the average Canadian doesn't make anything close to what you've informed folks you make. People need help from their provincial governments and the federal government. 

In BC alone over a million individuals don't have access to a family doctor, about six million Canadians do not. As of September 8th, 2022. I have a family doctor in Nanaimo, I moved up to Dawson Creek in June. I plan on moving back to Nanaimo within three or four years. The only time I'm going to try and access a doctor is when I'm visiting on the island because I'm terrified of somehow losing my doctor. The waiting lists are long. If anything gets bad I'll just go to emergency or try and wait for however long it takes in a walk in, although my options via a walk in are more limited.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/angus-reid-institute-doctor-access-bc-1.6575386

More Canadians than ever are accessing food banks, folks from all sorts of age demographics. It's not something I've had to do in a while but it's something I've had to do within the past seven years.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/food-banks-and-other-food-charities-anticipate-a-60-per-cent-increase-in-demand-in-2023-1.6225412

https://macleans.ca/longforms/food-banks-affordability-inflation-groceries/

Voting for more social spending is essential for those closer, or below, the poverty line. It is something that needs to continue regardless of which government is installed at a federal level. 

I would like to see a bigger tax incentive for helping locally rather than having the money diluted federally. Maybe the percentage of your income towards donations is taken off your taxation percentage. I would feel much more comfortable giving half my money away to that. Obviously caped out at a percentage. I just don’t think the government is effective at distributing money. 

On 9/20/2023 at 8:47 PM, Inspector BlakeQuinn said:

Look around the country. There is no hate or bigotry. It's parents tired of government over reach. Teachers are public servants. Well the public has spoken 

Transgenderism should not be taught to elementary and middle school kids. Their minds can't comprehend it.

Lol the public?? You mean a small minority of the public??  You people really have an inflated value of not only your numbers but also your opinions.  

8 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I would like to see a bigger tax incentive for helping locally rather than having the money diluted federally. Maybe the percentage of your income towards donations is taken off your taxation percentage. I would feel much more comfortable giving half my money away to that. Obviously caped out at a percentage. I just don’t think the government is effective at distributing money. 

Charities are not effective either and depending on what charity you donate to it is less effective than the gonvernment. Donating directly just give people the feeling that they have more control which I believe is very important to you. 

Often times donating to foundations will have money actually going to do the work be more than halve diluted by admin costs and sometimes questionable spending by those in control. 

So unless you support having charities heavily regulated so that only frontline charities exist it might be better to just have the gonvernment handle it. 

Edited by 24K