Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

13 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

There's a bit more about this (including expected Provincial plans for 2024) at Jimmy's favourite "fucking hippie" news site, The Tyee.

https://thetyee.ca/News/2024/01/18/Brace-Yourself-Housing-Reforms/

Tbh I find this funny. The province is pushing ideas instead of being a partner, that's the kind of thing people used to complain about with the BC Liberals.

Without more funding, nothing significant will happen.

So Pierre is insulting two of Quebecs mayors who are in charge of two of their largest cities due to the data around housing starts.  Of course he lied about who was in charge of the money and in charge of the actual housing plan while doing it

But fails to remember he was the minister in charge of the former government that somehow spent 400 million on housing and built...nothing.  99 homes of the promised 25000 for JUST first nations.....a bit heavy handed but then, Pierre is planning on anger and short memories for getting in to power.  But if he keeps pissing off Quebec he won't be doing much of anything

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre did not mince words when talking about the mayors of Quebec's two largest cities, describing Valérie Plante and Bruno Marchand as "incompetent" in a social media post Thursday.

Poilievre was reacting to a recent report from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation. That report showed a significant dip in the number of homes being built in Quebec in 2023 compared to the previous year. 

Poilievre took to X, formerly known as Twitter, to criticize the way Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is handling the housing crisis.

But Plante, the mayor of Montreal, and Marchand, her counterpart in Quebec City, weren't spared. 

"Massive drop-off in construction in Quebec, while Trudeau's giving billions to the incompetent mayors, Marchand and Plante, who get in the way of construction sites," Poilievre wrote in French.

"The federal money for cities will be tied to the number of houses and apartments that are built when I become PM," Poilievre added, in reference to the housing plan he unveiled last September.

Both Plante and Marchand shot back and called into question Poilievre's ability to lead the country.

On X, Plante highlighted the fact that federal money for housing is managed by the Quebec government. 

"Before calling anyone 'incompetent,' Mr. Poilievre should understand that in Quebec, federal funding for housing does not go through the cities," the Montreal mayor wrote in her post, adding that he should understand the funding mechanisms for each province.

Marchand also weighed in on X, accusing the Conservative leader of showing contempt for elected officials and everyone who works on housing issues in his city.

"This is petty politics," Marchand wrote.

Later in the day, the Quebec City mayor spoke to a group of reporters about Poilievre's comments.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/harper-government-defends-first-nations-housing-fund-despite-poor-results-1.3089999

https://www.focus-consult.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/PomeroyFalvoThe-Harper-Years-ENHR-with-table.pdf

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/broken-promises-on-affordable-housing/article_15740170-59ba-5ef7-b9a6-629397dd2957.html

https://ottawasun.com/2013/11/27/social-housing-cuts-by-harper-government-need-to-stop-protesters

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So Pierre is insulting two of Quebecs mayors who are in charge of two of their largest cities due to the data around housing starts.  Of course he lied about who was in charge of the money and in charge of the actual housing plan while doing it

But fails to remember he was the minister in charge of the former government that somehow spent 400 million on housing and built...nothing.  99 homes of the promised 25000 for JUST first nations.....a bit heavy handed but then, Pierre is planning on anger and short memories for getting in to power.  But if he keeps pissing off Quebec he won't be doing much of anything

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre did not mince words when talking about the mayors of Quebec's two largest cities, describing Valérie Plante and Bruno Marchand as "incompetent" in a social media post Thursday.

Poilievre was reacting to a recent report from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation. That report showed a significant dip in the number of homes being built in Quebec in 2023 compared to the previous year. 

Poilievre took to X, formerly known as Twitter, to criticize the way Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is handling the housing crisis.

But Plante, the mayor of Montreal, and Marchand, her counterpart in Quebec City, weren't spared. 

"Massive drop-off in construction in Quebec, while Trudeau's giving billions to the incompetent mayors, Marchand and Plante, who get in the way of construction sites," Poilievre wrote in French.

"The federal money for cities will be tied to the number of houses and apartments that are built when I become PM," Poilievre added, in reference to the housing plan he unveiled last September.

Both Plante and Marchand shot back and called into question Poilievre's ability to lead the country.

On X, Plante highlighted the fact that federal money for housing is managed by the Quebec government. 

"Before calling anyone 'incompetent,' Mr. Poilievre should understand that in Quebec, federal funding for housing does not go through the cities," the Montreal mayor wrote in her post, adding that he should understand the funding mechanisms for each province.

Marchand also weighed in on X, accusing the Conservative leader of showing contempt for elected officials and everyone who works on housing issues in his city.

Later in the day, the Quebec City mayor spoke to a group of reporters about Poilievre's comments.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/harper-government-defends-first-nations-housing-fund-despite-poor-results-1.3089999

https://www.focus-consult.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/PomeroyFalvoThe-Harper-Years-ENHR-with-table.pdf

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/broken-promises-on-affordable-housing/article_15740170-59ba-5ef7-b9a6-629397dd2957.html

https://ottawasun.com/2013/11/27/social-housing-cuts-by-harper-government-need-to-stop-protesters

This Trump-style name calling is just lame and isn’t going to win many folks over outside of his base. Thanks for the links, I thought the second one was important (and short ) enough to repost for those not inclined to follow links.

Harper government defends First Nations housing fund, despite poor results

Opposition assails program that has built just 99 homes out of a planned 25,000

Dean Beeby · CBC News · Posted: May 27, 2015 1:55 PM PDT | Last Updated: May 27, 2015

The Harper government defended the overall goal of its $300-million First Nations housing fund today, but was silent on the program's weak performance so far — just 99 homes built on reserves after six years.

The First Nations Market Housing Fund was supposed to deliver 25,000 privately owned homes by 2018, but fund officials now say they won't even come close to that ambitious target even as populations on reserves boom.

"We want to see First Nations individuals to be able to have the pride, the security and the financial stability that comes with owning their own home," said Candice Bergen, minister of state for social development.

"Of course, we always review programs to ensure that they meet the goals required, but we think it's important that First Nations individuals can own their own home on reserve. That's why we created this fund."

'Failed miserably'

Bergen was speaking in the House of Commons, where New Democrat MP Romeo Saganash called the fund "another ineffective program that has only funded another bureaucracy." Liberal MP Carolyn Bennett said the government "has failed miserably" to alleviate a huge housing crisis on reserves.

A CBC News investigation found that the fund has grown through investments to be worth about $344 million since it was created in 2008 and currently spends about $4 million annually for administration.

John Beaucage, chair of the fund's board of trustees, acknowledges progress has been slow, but says the program is gaining momentum.

Critics say creating private ownership of homes on remote reserves can be difficult, as First Nations members often lack a credit history and steady income, and there is no thriving local housing market to sell into if owners want to move.

21 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

This Trump-style name calling is just lame and isn’t going to win many folks over outside of his base. Thanks for the links, I thought the second one was important (and short ) enough to repost for those not inclined to follow links.

Harper government defends First Nations housing fund, despite poor results

Opposition assails program that has built just 99 homes out of a planned 25,000

Dean Beeby · CBC News · Posted: May 27, 2015 1:55 PM PDT | Last Updated: May 27, 2015

The Harper government defended the overall goal of its $300-million First Nations housing fund today, but was silent on the program's weak performance so far — just 99 homes built on reserves after six years.

The First Nations Market Housing Fund was supposed to deliver 25,000 privately owned homes by 2018, but fund officials now say they won't even come close to that ambitious target even as populations on reserves boom.

"We want to see First Nations individuals to be able to have the pride, the security and the financial stability that comes with owning their own home," said Candice Bergen, minister of state for social development.

"Of course, we always review programs to ensure that they meet the goals required, but we think it's important that First Nations individuals can own their own home on reserve. That's why we created this fund."

'Failed miserably'

Bergen was speaking in the House of Commons, where New Democrat MP Romeo Saganash called the fund "another ineffective program that has only funded another bureaucracy." Liberal MP Carolyn Bennett said the government "has failed miserably" to alleviate a huge housing crisis on reserves.

A CBC News investigation found that the fund has grown through investments to be worth about $344 million since it was created in 2008 and currently spends about $4 million annually for administration.

John Beaucage, chair of the fund's board of trustees, acknowledges progress has been slow, but says the program is gaining momentum.

Critics say creating private ownership of homes on remote reserves can be difficult, as First Nations members often lack a credit history and steady income, and there is no thriving local housing market to sell into if owners want to move.

It was this as well as the affordable housing plan which all told were over $400+ million of taxpayer money invested with no success.

It is important to know WHO was the cabinet minister in charge and individual in charge in part or whole; of the committees behind these.  Hint.  His name rhymes with free air

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Not sure which thread this most closely relates to, but since dude is calling out our politics, I figure this thread is as good as any.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10235406/sean-strickland-interview-rant-anti-lgbtq-trudeau-toronto-ufc/

I wonder if there's enough in dude's tirade for someone to mount a "hate speech" prosecution against him?  🤔

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Not sure which thread this most closely relates to, but since dude is calling out our politics, I figure this thread is as good as any.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10235406/sean-strickland-interview-rant-anti-lgbtq-trudeau-toronto-ufc/

I wonder if there's enough in dude's tirade for someone to mount a "hate speech" prosecution against him?  🤔

He’s an idiot. Kick him out. He doesn’t deserve to be here. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Just deport him and ban him from ever entering again.  We don't need vermin like this piece of shit infesting our country.

• Like 1

He's an ex-whitepower guy. An unstable person. He will admit that himself. He has stated he would like to kill someone in the cage. He recently threatened to stab his next opponent....the same opponent he assaulted in the crowd at a UFC event. Has had multiple road rage incidents. A gun nut too.

It sounds like an act but it's not. He's funny(self deprecating) and kinda witty but he's into some of the conspiracy and backwards stuff. This personality has gotten him some fame quick, along with upsetting one of the best to become champ, but I see a sad ending to his story.

The fact that the UFC lets this shit go is why I dont talk about their product much anymore and cheer for every athlete that can make it out of their org and have success.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

Just deport him and ban him from ever entering again.  We don't need vermin like this piece of shit infesting our country.

Yup. Thought, before reading the article, it’s just hype for a coming fight. Then, after reading the exact quotes, it’s clear this guy is scum. Kick him out. He’s not welcome here. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

He's an ex-whitepower guy.

is that possible? to be "ex" of that pov?

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

An unstable person. He will admit that himself. He has stated he would like to kill someone in the cage. He recently threatened to stab his next opponent....the same opponent he assaulted in the crowd at a UFC event. Has had multiple road rage incidents. A gun nut too.

It sounds like an act but it's not. He's funny(self deprecating) and kinda witty but he's into some of the conspiracy and backwards stuff. This personality has gotten him some fame quick, along with upsetting one of the best to become champ, but I see a sad ending to his story.

The fact that the UFC lets this shit go is why I dont talk about their product much anymore and cheer for every athlete that can make it out of their org and have success.

sounds like a dick. 

• ThereItIs 1

The irony of a dude who makes his living oiling himself up in order to touch other dudes in front of a crowd making comments about the lgbtq community shouldn't be lost on anyone 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Meh. Who cares what some Roid Monkey says....

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I’m confused.  I don’t recall PP ever being in charge of housing.  Can you point me in the right direction for this?

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Meh. Who cares what some Roid Monkey says....

True enough. But still don’t like this kind of hatred, on a big platform where lots of children can hear, in our country. If we could, it would be great to turf this piece of craperolla. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

True enough. But still don’t like this kind of hatred, on a big platform where lots of children can hear, in our country. If we could, it would be great to turf this piece of craperolla. 

Nobody does, but this guy is clearly an attention whore. Worst thing you can do to someone like this is ignore him....

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Nobody does, but this guy is clearly an attention whore. Worst thing you can do to someone like this is ignore him....

Good point. We want people with these horrid beliefs out in the open. My worry is he’s a famous athlete and children listen to him. Don’t want the kids to think this guy’s views are okay. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Is this more proof that It's not really just a trans issue? I'm curious what the conservatives of the thread think if this guy?

12 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Is this more proof that It's not really just a trans issue? I'm curious what the conservatives of the thread think if this guy?

Nobody cares about a US MMA fighter who probably has CTE.  Not even sure why it’s being talked about in a Canadian politics thread…

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m confused.  I don’t recall PP ever being in charge of housing.  Can you point me in the right direction for this?

It's actually a really easy thing to find out.

Search the offices associated and what they were/are in charge of

I'm sure you'll find answers pretty easily there

Look at what Pierre was in charge of and why that matters in regards to housing and federal funding

Screenshot_20240118-222210.png

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's actually a really easy thing to find out.

Search the offices associated and what they were/are in charge of

I'm sure you'll find answers pretty easily there

Look at what Pierre was in charge of and why that matters in regards to housing and federal funding

Screenshot_20240118-222210.png

But fails to remember he was the minister in charge of the former government that somehow spent 400 million on housing and built...nothing.  99 homes of the promised 25000 for JUST first nations.....a bit heavy handed but then, Pierre is planning on anger and short memories for getting in to power.  But if he keeps pissing off Quebec he won't be doing much of anything.

You said he was the “minister” in charge of the former government that somehow spent $400 million on housing…

His resume that you posted says he was the “secretary” to the Prime Minister and to the Minister of Transport.  So he was never really a minister of that office that you are pointing out.  He only reported to the minister.  You are giving him far more credit than he deserves in regard to decisions made under Harper.  But I know it’s only because you need to find a new way to attack him.

If you want to attack PP by all means go right ahead.  But just making shit up on the fly isn’t going to cut it.  Just like you call out other’s people’s bullshit I am going to call out yours.

Also, in the articles that you posted, it clearly says that Candice Bergen was in charge of what you pointed out, she was the minister for social development at the time and was even quoted in one of the articles…

"We want to see First Nations individuals to be able to have the pride, the security and the financial stability that comes with owning their own home," said Candice Bergen, minister of state for social development.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nobody cares about a US MMA fighter who probably has CTE.  Not even sure why it’s being talked about in a Canadian politics thread…

9 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I lobbed up a softball for ya buddy, go ahead and take a swing. 

Your balls are never soft Joey….  🤨

Sounds like you boys need some help....

image.thumb.jpeg.567152050494b5d7385005c63e445642.jpeg

• Haha 1

But fails to remember he was the minister in charge of the former government that somehow spent 400 million on housing and built...nothing.  99 homes of the promised 25000 for JUST first nations.....a bit heavy handed but then, Pierre is planning on anger and short memories for getting in to power.  But if he keeps pissing off Quebec he won't be doing much of anything.

You said he was the “minister” in charge of the former government that somehow spent $400 million on housing…

His resume that you posted says he was the “secretary” to the Prime Minister and to the Minister of Transport.  So he was never really a minister of that office that you are pointing out.  He only reported to the minister.  You are giving him far more credit than he deserves in regard to decisions made under Harper.  But I know it’s only because you need to find a new way to attack him.

If you want to attack PP by all means go right ahead.  But just making shit up on the fly isn’t going to cut it.  Just like you call out other’s people’s bullshit I am going to call out yours.

Also, in the articles that you posted, it clearly says that Candice Bergen was in charge of what you pointed out, she was the minister for social development at the time and was even quoted in one of the articles…

"We want to see First Nations individuals to be able to have the pride, the security and the financial stability that comes with owning their own home," said Candice Bergen, minister of state for social development.

As the "secretary" to dual ministers as well as the so called attack dog and voice of Harper in the house beside Callandra, Poliverre had as much say in very specific tabled bills and their creation, defense as the ministers in charge.  This is/was well know which is why various ministers held the title of parliamentary secretary to more than one office at one time.  Callandra, Polivere and for a time Bernier held various titles of secretary or outright ministerial roles as advised by the PMO at various times.

While you say "make shit up" it's clear you didn't follow along or pay attention. 

RE: Housing fund Pierre claims he had no hand in.  The fund's board of trustees is appointed by the minister responsible for the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp., Pierre Poilievre, and by Aboriginal Affairs Minister Bernard Valcourt. CMHC manages the day-to-day activities.

In the House, parliamentary secretaries help ministers maintain contacts with other parliamentarians. They play a liaison role within the government caucus, particularly on matters regarding private members’ business. When the minister is away from the House, parliamentary secretaries may also be called upon to answer policy questions during Question Period.5

Under the Standing Orders of the House of Commons,6 parliamentary secretaries may do the following:

• make a statement during the time devoted to “Statements by Members” (whereas ministers may not) (S.O. 30(5));
  • table documents in the House on behalf of a minister (S.O. 32(2));
  • speak on behalf of a minister during adjournment proceedings (S.O. 38(5));
  • act on behalf of a minister during consideration of the main estimates of a department in Committee of the Whole (S.O. 81(4)(a)); and
  • speak on behalf of a minister during debate on a motion for the production of papers (S.O. 97(2)).

Because they work under the direction of a minister, however, parliamentary secretaries do not ask questions during Question Period7 and they are ineligible to introduce their own private member’s bills or motions.8 They may not present government bills, either.9

Parliamentary secretaries can be named to standing, special or legislative committees only as non‑voting members appointed by the chief government whip.10 There, they represent the minister’s views and address political issues that may arise. They share departmental information and may work with committee chairs to plan appearances of ministers and departmental officials.11

With regard to department‑related duties, the prime minister may assign parliamentary secretaries specific policy‑related priorities. In addition, while overall responsibility and accountability remain with the minister, he or she may delegate specific policy development duties to a parliamentary secretary. As indicated above, parliamentary secretaries also ensure liaison between parliamentary committees and the department.12

Parliamentary secretaries may also perform extra‑parliamentary duties for the minister by fulfilling speaking engagements, attending ceremonies or meeting delegations.13

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1