Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

43 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

It doesn't matter that none of them understand what it means....

thats what makes it so funny.

I wonder how many light bulbs you can turn on with all that "alpha energy" in the stadium? has to be at least 3. 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

It's a sport where the athletes and employees are allowed to say whatever they want, with hard working blue collar fans that support it. 

so in order to enjoy a sport, you need to be able to "say what you want" and disparage other people? seems pretty weak to me, but OK.

28 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

a soyboy like MaClean.

🤣

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

so in order to enjoy a sport, you need to be able to "say what you want" and disparage other people? seems pretty weak to me, but OK.

🤣

It would seem to me that if that poster thinks that's the only way to enjoy a sport, they must not find much enjoyment in watching hockey - ergo they are not a hockey fan, and by extension, not a Canucks fan.  So, one has to question exactly what are they doing on a hockey forum when they aren't a hockey fan, and what are they doing on a hockey team fan site when they're not a fan of the team?  👺

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Spur1 said:

Cherry was/is a bigoted old fossil. 

Pfft yeah well who isn't these days?  The word gets used so often now by the left that it has practically lost its meaning

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

🤣

I was just pointing out why it is typically a right wing supported event.

"Disparage other people".. lol

You sound like one of the reporters

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Pfft yeah well who isn't these days?  The word gets used so often now by the left that it has practically lost its meaning

nah it still has meaning. 

I was just pointing out why it is typically a right wing supported event.

"Disparage other people".. lol

lol? wasn't that goofball MMA guy being very openly bigoted? correct me if I'm wrong here. 

You sound like one of the reporters

OK, and what does that mean?

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It would seem to me that if that poster thinks that's the only way to enjoy a sport, they must not find much enjoyment in watching hockey - ergo they are not a hockey fan, and by extension, not a Canucks fan.  So, one has to question exactly what are they doing on a hockey forum when they aren't a hockey fan, and what are they doing on a hockey team fan site when they're not a fan of the team?  👺

Biggest Canuck diehard you'd ever meet, bud

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

its just funny to me that being able to vocalize how much you dislike a certain group of people is wrapped up in someone's enjoyment of a sport.

Seems like a great way to pander to fragile ego's. Oh wait, thats a great business model 😆 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 2

16 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Seems like a great way to pander to fragile ego's. Oh wait, thats a great business model 😆 

And yet, somehow they're they ones calling those unlike them as "snowflakes".

Guess that fits the motif of "every accusation is a confession" that seems to be their primary trait.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

It's a sport where the athletes and employees are allowed to say whatever they want, with hard working blue collar fans that support it. 

Anyone should be allowed to support a sport and a team: blue collar, white collar, who cares? As soon as you start claiming it's "hard working blue collar fans" supporting the team (which makes it sound like it's no one else), you've lost the plot.

Please stop putting politics into who can or cannot support a team.

PS: Also, if athletes were truly able to say whatever they wanted, you'd see a completely new side to a lot of athletes that you didn't know existed. Just ask Horvat and the reaction on this site to a statement he might have made near the end of last season... (so they CAN say what they want but there could be repercussions for it)

Let me ask you this: if what you posted here could affect whether or not you still had a job, what would your posts look like? Would they be the same or would you be a little more careful?

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

The ironic part is how often the same people who claims they themselves should have free speech also want to claim others should not. It's really a tale of them not knowing what free speech is to begin with even when they think they know.

Moreso that they feel the only speech which should be free is that which supports their dogma.  Anything that raises concerns about or challenges their position or ideology is not covered by their vision of "free speech", facts or truth be damned!  :picard:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

Hockey in Canada and the CBC would rather fire and delete an icon like Cherry and prance around a soyboy like MaClean.

Soyboy lol

Go support your little chihuahua Colby Covington 

10 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Moreso that they feel the only speech which should be free is that which supports their dogma.  Anything that raises concerns about or challenges their position or ideology is not covered by their vision of "free speech", facts or truth be damned!  :picard:

Which of course is not free speech as it limits the speech of others who oppose their view.

The notion of "free speech" really is nothing more than tunnel vision. It's really a form of "whataboutism" if you think about it, at least in the context it's often used when brought up.

EDIT: Correcting myself actually: Freedom of speech really just means you can say what you want, but it does not protect you from the consequences of saying what you want.

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Freedom of speech really just means you can say what you want, but it does not protect you from the consequences of saying what you want.

That is true whether you live in a democracy, autocracy or outright dictatorship. The BIG difference is what the consequences are for you speaking up.

Just now, Kootenay Gold said:

That is true whether you live in a democracy, autocracy or outright dictatorship. The BIG difference is what the consequences are for you speaking up.

Of course, but there are still consequences for certain acts of free speech even in the most democratic of democracies. That's really the point I'm making.

But you also inadvertently bring up a good point that does question whether free speech is even a thing really, which can get very philosophical very fast.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I don't follow the UFC, but between this and the Strickland interview, it seems like they need to get some better reporters.

You mean reporters that agree with the comments made by those in the UFC?

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

thats what makes it so funny.

I wonder how many light bulbs you can turn on with all that "alpha energy" in the stadium? has to be at least 3. 

Your estimate sounds about 3 too high to me. “Alpha energy” makes me laugh.

IMG_0873.jpeg

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Soyboy lol

Go support your little chihuahua Colby Covington 

That guy is a fake and I don't like him.  

21 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Anyone should be allowed to support a sport and a team: blue collar, white collar, who cares? As soon as you start claiming it's "hard working blue collar fans" supporting the team (which makes it sound like it's no one else), you've lost the plot.

Please stop putting politics into who can or cannot support a team.

PS: Also, if athletes were truly able to say whatever they wanted, you'd see a completely new side to a lot of athletes that you didn't know existed. Just ask Horvat and the reaction on this site to a statement he might have made near the end of last season... (so they CAN say what they want but there could be repercussions for it)

Let me ask you this: if what you posted here could affect whether or not you still had a job, what would your posts look like? Would they be the same or would you be a little more careful?

The OP brought that aspect into it.  

You won't and haven't seen me post anything negative about what Bo said.  It's a nothingburger but their are a lot bleeding hearts in this country and particularly on this board who get offended by anything and everything.  Hockey in Canada has gone extra liberal/politically correct and soft.  The players don't show personality and don't say what they really want which is why the UFC is a breath of fresh air.

3 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

You won't and haven't seen me post anything negative about what Bo said.  It's a nothingburger but their are a lot bleeding hearts in this country and particularly on this board who get offended by anything and everything.  Hockey in Canada has gone extra liberal/politically correct and soft.  The players don't show personality and don't say what they really want which is why the UFC is a breath of fresh air.

How did you feel about PK Subban?

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

How did you feel about PK Subban?

He's alright, mostly annoying. Made the right choice by going to ESPN.  They  have much more freedom to say what they want and the group of hockey analysts put on a much more entertaining show compared to Ron Maclean's cuckfest.

Edited by Wiggums

18 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Horvat was an example to prove that there were consequences to what he said. It doesn't matter if you yourself reacted to those comments or not. The fact is, people did react. Those are the consequences.

There can be good consequences too. Think about the consequences of Zadorov's interviews here. He's becoming a fan favourite as a consequence of his free speech.

Even in the UFC there are consequences. So long as someone has an opinion about something, there are consequences to whatever that something is.

So it's really more about how you use that free speech that determines the outcome.

Edited by The Lock
  • ThereItIs 1