Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, StrayDog said:

Yup. Perfectly normal "centrist" talking points here. Nothing right-leaning in any of these quotes. Like, at all....

I was tempted but didn't wanna waste the energy.

There's more though lol in just the last 10 pages.  Go over to the US thread and there's even more "centrist" points of view

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

Yup. Perfectly normal "centrist" talking points here. Nothing right-leaning in any of these quotes. Like, at all....

I'm just curious to know what he's in the center of.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I was tempted but didn't wanna waste the energy.

There's more though lol in just the last 10 pages.  Go over to the US thread and there's even more "centrist" points of view

Oh I'm sure. No one screams "I'm a centrist!" louder than the right wing.

4 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

Oh I'm sure. No one screams "I'm a centrist!" louder than the right wing.

I like to consider myself pretty in the middle.  A small c conservative, small l liberal.

Just means I can accept both parties CAN have good ideas but that both parties are run by idiots

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I like to consider myself pretty in the middle.  A small c conservative, small l liberal.

Just means I can accept both parties CAN have good ideas but that both parties are run by idiots

Yeah. I lean right financially but left socially. 

I can accept that both parties can have good ideas; I'm just waiting for one to show up!

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I'm willing to bet that's the same crowd that would tell everyone to keep politics out of sport from the pride tape saga earlier this year.

Sure, would be a good guess.

UFC has done a real disservice to the sport of mma in regards to mixing in politics. Recently they have been having Donald Trump 'walk outs' to his front row seats at events, with Tucker Carlson and the likes in tow. 

That an anti JT theme happend in TO when the UFC visited is well ...by design imo. Even though it's Canada... Dana is all about that right wing life. I'v seen headlines where everyones fav Dr Joe Rogan is also flappin his yap at Canada too about that ufc crowd, but havent been bothered to read. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Rob Eh said:

Marxists, especially the antifa variety, are useful idiots of the highest order. Karl Marx wasn't even a poor guy, he was a useless bum that depended on his rich family to pay all his bills but he had the best education money could buy. His dad was a rich industrialist that was a descendant of the Rothschild family.

Klaus Schwab can be linked back to Karl Marx. You've been hoodwinked by the ultra elite. 

Quick google debunks this. There is a reuters article on it. No Schwab is not related to the Rothschilds

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, StrayDog said:

He's left of the guy who will eventually start proposing putting all these leftists, antifa, BLM and "degeneretes" in camps.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Breaking news:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/emergencies-act-federal-court-1.7091891

In order to declare a public order emergency, the Emergencies Act requires that there be "an emergency that arises from threats to the security of Canada that are so serious as to be a national emergency." The Act defers to CSIS's definition of "threats to the security of Canada."

Federal Court Justice Richard Mosley said the situation created by the protests did not meet that threshold.

"I have concluded that the decision to issue the Proclamation does not bear the hallmarks of reasonableness – justification, transparency and intelligibility – and was not justified in relation to the relevant factual and legal constraints that were required to be taken into consideration," he said in his decision.

• Cheers 3

15 hours ago, StrayDog said:

It makes me wonder why he doesn't just say he's right-leaning, which he obviously is. Perhaps he used to be centrist and was proud of that but then started to radicalize a bit (like many others during Trump times unfortunately) while still thinking he was a centrist.

It really goes to show we have work to do to at least get people back to center, especially the ones who believe they're centrist but really are not.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I would trade a permanent change to this style in exchange for a conservative government that I would detest. It is my number one wish for Canadian politics.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DSVII said:

Trudeau messed this up by breaking his electoral reform promise. Probably one of the top mistakes of his tenure.

Should he have forced it to happen against the will of both the CON party and the NDP party? How would it be legitimized without multiparty support?

I wish he did it too, but how does one make an incredible change to federal election policy with one party supporting that change?

15 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

That's a real bad look for the Liberals. Now they will spend Canadians tax dollars to appeal it. Pierre will pounce on this.

My guess is that the Liberals will respond by pointing out how much the blockade itself cost taxpayers:

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/canadas-trucker-protests-leave-businesses-taxpayers-with-hefty-bills-2022-02-24/

A three-week long protest in Canada against pandemic measures that snarled trade and shuttered Ottawa's core likely cost billions in trade delays, tens of millions in lost sales for businesses, and left behind a hefty policing and clean-up tab.

They'll also likely point out that Pierre supported the convoy members....

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Should he have forced it to happen against the will of both the CON party and the NDP party? How would it be legitimized without multiparty support?

I wish he did it too, but how does one make an incredible change to federal election policy with one party supporting that change?

It's almost like he knew he could make that promise without actually following through...

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I am looking forward to Power and Politics this afternoon, on the CBC news network, Should be the best episode of the year.

My initial shock at the decision, then reading the whole thing out, turned to a reasonable razor thin call on the part of the Justice. 
I believe we will see a federal court of appeal verdict and then a supreme court verdict on this case at appeal. I believe the decision could be just as easily overturned to a razor thin victory for the Government. Still, we won't know for some time until the Supreme Court decision on this very precedent setting case. 

I feel the decision was either 99% of the way there to meeting the threshold, or right at it with 100, or maybe a tick above. It isn't as if the case was overwhelmingly against the decision to enact it, it is very nuanced. 

I will wait on the Supreme Court verdict. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

It's almost like he knew he could make that promise without actually following through...

I worked with the Liberal Party of Canada at the time, and it was a major plank that simply had no way forward without wide multi party support. Cons were 100% against changes, NDP were 100% entrenched in a system that would give parties and not people seats, which is a non starter for making things better. Do we want fascists or communists to have 1 or 2 seats in the future and hold the balance of power in a minority? I don't want extreme minority parties to hold the balance of power, and most think tanks also do not want that future for Canada. Once the concept was dead on arrival with the federalist parties 2 to 1 against Ranked Ballots: there was no choice but to put it behind us. Perhaps it will have a better chance in a future makeup of the House. I really want it done, ranked ballot is tthe way to go, progressively, in order to enhance faith in our elected officials. over 50% of each local voter base will end up with some support for the eventual winner with ranked ballots. With Proporsional Representation Parties will have seats that the party elite will get to staff behind closed doors and that is undemocratic in the extreme. The current system is better than Prop Rep and not as good as Ranked Ballots. It is what it is though, Trudeau wanted it and couldn't deliver, so folks are mad. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I worked with the Liberal Party of Canada at the time, and it was a major plank that simply had no way forward without wide multi party support. Cons were 100% against changes, NDP were 100% entrenched in a system that would give parties and not people seats, which is a non starter for making things better. Do we want fascists or communists to have 1 or 2 seats in the future and hold the balance of power in a minority? I don't want extreme minority parties to hold the balance of power, and most think tanks also do not want that future for Canada. Once the concept was dead on arrival with the federalist parties 2 to 1 against Ranked Ballots: there was no choice but to put it behind us. Perhaps it will have a better chance in a future makeup of the House. I really want it done, ranked ballot is tthe way to go, progressively, in order to enhance faith in our elected officials. over 50% of each local voter base will end up with some support for the eventual winner with ranked ballots. With Proporsional Representation Parties will have seats that the party elite will get to staff behind closed doors and that is undemocratic in the extreme. The current system is better than Prop Rep and not as good as Ranked Ballots. It is what it is though, Trudeau wanted it and couldn't deliver, so folks are mad. 

I really don't understand the NDPs unwillingness to support ranked ballot.

20 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I really don't understand the NDPs unwillingness to support ranked ballot.

This. They're making "perfection" the enemy of good. And even then, it's "perfection" only in that it was the system that likely saw them with the most seats, not "perfection" for voters.

Take the extra seats and votes you'd gain under ranked ballot and call it a win... Idiots.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1