Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

53 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

That's a real bad look for the Liberals. Now they will spend Canadians tax dollars to appeal it. Pierre will pounce on this. 

Millhouse helped fuel it ..... Of course he's had his attacks pre printed a year ago lol

I do feel on appeal it will.be overturned.  Other than achieving the convoy mandate of over throw of the government they were not stopping .... If it continued any longer deaths would have occured 

The issue was police let it get out of control and could have stopped it from.getting out if hand.

They didn't ... Partly because of incompetence and also because some cops aided.the convoy.

In the end the real question isn't should they have used the powers , rather at the end did they have any options left other than using the powers 

No it shouldn't have been needed , but yes at the end it was the only thing they could do ... Other than give in to the inserection   and put the convey leaders in power of the country ( which was part of their demands )

Edited by Sapper
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

That's a real bad look for the Liberals. Now they will spend Canadians tax dollars to appeal it. Pierre will pounce on this. 

For who? Imo, in the court of public opinion, this doesn't move the needle for anyone. If they can vote for a guy who incited a riot down south, surely we can vote for a guy who removed one up here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'd prefer they abide by the ruling myself.  This is how the law works.  

The sad thing about this; and yes I know what I am doing here, is that I see people screaming about this and yelling at Trudeau and applauding the courts, but 5 days ago they were screaming at Trudeau and against the courts regarding the turn over and ruling regarding the largest single land transfer back to first nations in our nations history

Some people can not be pleased.  In this instance, Trudeau needs to take the L and move on; but this should still be a heads up that our nation won't tolerate a bunch of cowboy karens in lifted trucks shitting on our capitol because they don't understand how our system of government works or the election results.

Personally as opposed to amending and fixing the emergencies act, I'd rather see Trudeau give the Ottawa/Carlton police extra judicial powers to protect the capitol from events like this in times of severe duress; taking the fault away from the government and allowing law enforcement to do the jobs they're paid for.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

For who? Imo, in the court of public opinion, this doesn't move the needle for anyone. If they can vote for a guy who incited a riot down south, surely we can vote for a guy who removed one up here. 

Then why appeal it, if it doesn't matter and doesn't move the needle?

I disagree.

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

I would trade a permanent change to this style in exchange for a conservative government that I would detest. It is my number one wish for Canadian politics.

To much power to minority interests. Look at the Israeli government. 

11 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Then why appeal it, if it doesn't matter and doesn't move the needle?

I disagree.

Do you think people who are against the convoy, antivaccine, anti-mask, and anti lgbtq crowd are going to vote for the guy who supports them because the courts decision? Big ol nothingburger imo. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

To much power to minority interests. Look at the Israeli government. 

You're thinking proportional, we're talking about ranked ballot.

Like I said above, they want the best system for the NDP, instead of the best system that would still see them get gains. They're letting perfection be the enemy of good. If they'd just agreed to support ranked ballot, Canada would be in a better place right now.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Do you think people who are against the convoy, antivaccine, anti-mask, and anti lgbtq crowd are going to vote for the guy who supports them because the courts decision? Big ol nothingburger imo. 

That's a pretty large net. I think some people will be moved by this. 

If not, they should be. The courts just ruled that the government violated Canadians charter of rights. 

1 minute ago, 5forFighting said:

If not, they should be. The courts just ruled that the government violated Canadians charter of rights. 

I do not agree but the main point I want to make is that they won't be.

15 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

This decision pretty much seals Trudeau's fate.  He should resign tomorrow, but we know he won't.  He will take the whole Liberal party down with him...

Also, the fact that the Liberal government will be appealing this decision is another indicator that they can't just take the L and walk away, their egos are too big for that.  So, we will watch them waste taxpayers' dollars for the next year or so to try and get the decision reversed to save face.  Meanwhile, most voters have already made up their minds so it will all be a complete waste of time for them...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Again, right wingers are going to get their panties in a bunch, but they already were. Those of us wanted the convoy gone couldn't care less. 

2 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Should he have forced it to happen against the will of both the CON party and the NDP party? How would it be legitimized without multiparty support?

I wish he did it too, but how does one make an incredible change to federal election policy with one party supporting that change?

I'd argue that a major reason he secured a majority in the 2015 election was due to this promise, aside from Harper fatigue.

Edited by DSVII
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Again, right wingers are going to get their panties in a bunch, but they already were. Those of us wanted the convoy gone couldn't care less. 

So, you are okay with the Federal Government violating the Canadian Charter of Rights as long as it's good for you?  Good to know, noted when PP takes over and he does the same thing.  My reaction will be the same as yours...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This decision pretty much seals Trudeau's fate.  He should resign tomorrow, but we know he won't.  He will take the whole Liberal party down with him...

Also, the fact that the Liberal government will be appealing this decision is another indicator that they can't just take the L and walk away, their egos are too big for that.  So, we will watch them waste taxpayers' dollars for the next year or so to try and get the decision reversed to save face.  Meanwhile, most voters have already made up their minds so it will all be a complete waste of time for them...

Awfully bold of you to speak for over 60% of the voting population in canada

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

So, you are okay with the Federal Government violating the Canadian Charter of rights as long as it's good for you?  Good to you, noted when PP takes over and he does the same thing.  My reaction will be the same as yours...

That's sadly how it often goes, isn't it? Fine if it impacts those they disagree with, while not considering how it'd be the other way around.

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is a perfect opportunity for those who wish to rail at JT to do so and I can see that but should we not all know what the Emergencies Act can and cannot do?

BTW - you have once again expressed your personal opinions with enough conviction and emphasis to perhaps convince some people that you know exactly what is going to happen.  I remain unconvinced.   

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

This. They're making "perfection" the enemy of good. And even then, it's "perfection" only in that it was the system that likely saw them with the most seats, not "perfection" for voters.

Take the extra seats and votes you'd gain under ranked ballot and call it a win... Idiots.

Singh is proving to be a poor leader. The void left by the Trudeau liberals right now and the collapse of that base should have been an empty net goal for the NDP. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Awfully bold of you to speak for over 60% of the voting population in canada

So, you think this 60% will change their minds from now until election day?  Trudeau is appealing a decision which even you agree he should just take the L and walk away from.  I think that pretty much solidifies any voter's decision over whether to vote again for Trudeau.  I'm not sure what exactly the Liberal party is going to be able to do from today until election day to change people's minds to vote for them.  If an election were held today, PP would win in the largest landslide in Candian political history.  What exactly is Trudeau going to do to reverse that over the next year?

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Singh is proving to be a poor leader. The void left by the Trudeau liberals right now and the collapse of that base should have been an empty net goal for the NDP. 

Singh is pretty much useless.  If Jack Layton were the leader of the NDP today he would probably have a 50/50 chance of becoming the next Prime Minister.  Leadership matters, and none of the political parties right now have an actual leader.  PP will literally win the next election by default...

6 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

This is a perfect opportunity for those who wish to rail at JT to do so and I can see that but should we not all know what the Emergencies Act can and cannot do?

BTW - you have once again expressed your personal opinions with enough conviction and emphasis to perhaps convince some people that you know exactly what is going to happen.  I remain unconvinced.   

Trudeau has a zero chance of winning the next election.  ZERO.  Like BIG ZERO.  If the Liberals actually want a shot then they should force him to resign...

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, you think this 60% will change their minds from now until election day?  Trudeau is appealing a decision which even you agree he should just take the L and walk away from.  I think that pretty much solidifies any voter's decision over whether to vote again for Trudeau.  I'm not sure what exactly the Liberal party is going to be able to do from today until election day to change people's minds to vote for them.  If an election were held today, PP would win in the largest landslide in Candian political history.  What exactly is Trudeau going to do to reverse that over the next year?

I think you overestimate the Conservative support. Yes it is strong in some areas, not so much in others. It is certainly the noisiest. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Trudeau has a zero chance of winning the next election.  ZERO.  Like BIG ZERO.  If the Liberals actually want a shot then they should force him to resign...

As enlightening as it is to hear exactly what is going to happen politically I'm still waiting to hear how your dinner went and exactly what should be done with all the transgender kids in our schools.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, you are okay with the Federal Government violating the Canadian Charter of Rights as long as it's good for you?  Good to know, noted when PP takes over and he does the same thing.  My reaction will be the same as yours...

If I ever shit on a grave and become a general nuisance for days on end you have my permission to freeze my bank account and arrest me. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When you cozy up with the crazies don't be surprised when the rest of vote for the other guy. 

22 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

So you don't care that the courts just ruled that they violated Canadians' Charter of Rights? Like not big deal, just move on? So Pierre gets in, violates Charter of Rights and who cares?