Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

15 minutes ago, 24K said:

Yeah I doubt any PM would bend over backwards for the ccp after the 2 Micheals. (Well we will see what PP do if he ever gets there.)

It's actually not even bending over backwards.  It's his approach of blatantly ignoring human rights issues there.  He'd much rather chase the rmb through trade missions and side-step any opportunity to raise concerns about things such as citizens being run over by tanks or (if it were present-day) allegations of concentration camps in XJ and imposition of some bullshit "security law" (after sweeping aside their agreement with the UK) on HK.  I'd be pretty upset if he pulled that card in this day and age, much in the same way as I'd be upset at the current Rt.Hon. if he were to.

• Upvote 2

On 9/20/2023 at 9:12 PM, King Heffy said:

The real message was that they are too ignorant to understand the curriculum and want everyone's children subjected to their disgusting beliefs.  Bottom line is not a single one of these protesters should be allowed within 500 ft of a school.

Karma can be a real B.. the guy who made the news in Chilliwack during Covid for waving flags, some derogatory, and screaming at parents and teachers for wearing masks.  He made kids scared, some cried, didn’t understand where the hate was coming from.  Well that dude ended up losing so much business (he did all this while in his company truck). He moved to Kelowna, shortly after that he was killed outside a nightclub in a fight. Some of these people take hate everywhere they go, this guy learned the hard way. 

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's actually not even bending over backwards.  It's his approach of blatantly ignoring human rights issues there.  He'd much rather chase the rmb through trade missions and side-step any opportunity to raise concerns about things such as citizens being run over by tanks or (if it were present-day) allegations of concentration camps in XJ and imposition of some bullshit "security law" (after sweeping aside their agreement with the UK) on HK.  I'd be pretty upset if he pulled that card in this day and age, much in the same way as I'd be upset at the current Rt.Hon. if he were to.

To be fair Deng and Jiang were vastly different leader than Xi. Other than the tiananmen thing, the China under them was pretty tame compared to today. 

But we are getting off topic.

Edited by 24K

9 minutes ago, 24K said:

To be fair Deng and Jiang were vastly different leader than Xi. Other than the tiananmen thing, the China under them was pretty tame compared to today. 

But we are getting off topic.

It's not really getting off topic, since we are talking of the Canadian political response to concerns abroad in the global environment, and more specifically the suitability of a Chretien type leader as government.

You could say that D/J were different than the current whiney the fucking poophead, but as a party, the ccp has been pretty consistent and has always played the long game.  I'm pretty sure that although they may not have estimated the specific incidents playing out they way they did, they have had a long-term direction they're pushing towards.  That we're caught in the middle between the two superpowers is really not a surprise (we're the soft underbelly to the kids south of the 49th), and our inability (or unwillingness is probably a more apt descriptor) to try to hold them accountable in favour of a few extra $$$ is actually somewhat discouraging.  It's pretty obvious that they're using the promise of trade as their honeypot to lure us (and other middle-power states) in and once we're in, as golden handcuffs to have us become hostage to their desires.  (To go slightly off-track, D/J used a similar honeypot approach towards convincing the UK and HK to participate in their "basic law" drafting exercises and the associated sino-UK joint declaration, and now HK is "reaping" the outcome of D/J's honeypot approach.)

So yeah, I'm not convinced that what we need in this day and age is a Chretien 2.0.

29 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's not really getting off topic, since we are talking of the Canadian political response to concerns abroad in the global environment, and more specifically the suitability of a Chretien type leader as government.

You could say that D/J were different than the current whiney the fucking poophead, but as a party, the ccp has been pretty consistent and has always played the long game.  I'm pretty sure that although they may not have estimated the specific incidents playing out they way they did, they have had a long-term direction they're pushing towards.  That we're caught in the middle between the two superpowers is really not a surprise (we're the soft underbelly to the kids south of the 49th), and our inability (or unwillingness is probably a more apt descriptor) to try to hold them accountable in favour of a few extra $$$ is actually somewhat discouraging.  It's pretty obvious that they're using the promise of trade as their honeypot to lure us (and other middle-power states) in and once we're in, as golden handcuffs to have us become hostage to their desires.  (To go slightly off-track, D/J used a similar honeypot approach towards convincing the UK and HK to participate in their "basic law" drafting exercises and the associated sino-UK joint declaration, and now HK is "reaping" the outcome of D/J's honeypot approach.)

So yeah, I'm not convinced that what we need in this day and age is a Chretien 2.0.

Well it was more to the point of him doing thing domestically than whatever he did with China and was providing context on why what he did back then is reasonable and not comparable to today's situation, with China having a way more authoritarian and idealogue leader. 

I call it getting off topic because you do have a tendency of turning every thread into a China thread if things don't stop immediately.

Edited by 24K

1 minute ago, 24K said:

Well I it was more to the point of him doing thing domestically than whatever he did with China and was providing context on why what he did back then is reasonabke and not comparable to today's situation, with China having a way more authoritarian and idealogue leader. 

I call it getting off topic because you do have a tendency of turning every thread into a China thread if things don't stop immediately.

Hasn't happened yet in this new forum.  :hurhur:

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2023 at 4:29 PM, Inspector BlakeQuinn said:

Anyway. I lied to myself.  I said I wouldn't engage and I did.

You are all so beyond hope, you're in Spuzzum.

I'm out.

Save our children from the toxic indoctrination.

You're the one doing the indoctrinating and you don't even see it. Whether it is willful ignorance or pure stupidity.

2 hours ago, LaBamba said:

everyone is acting like the CPC is going to convert Canada  into a libertarian society. The cycle roughly goes. Left, spend on social programs, Right, tighten the budget and so on. It’s time to tighten it up. You’re most likely not going to see a CPC government big enough to outvote the liberal and NDP so I don’t understand why everyone is so worried. 

I would agree with you, 15 years ago.  As many of us have pointed out, a strong fiscally conservative party is incredibly important for Canada.  But the right has been completely hijacked by the far right, social conservations who are anything but fiscally conservative.......that started with The Reform Party, continued with Harper and is now a comp le eye and utter sh!t show.

Do you really think PP is going to be able to control those nutjobs if they get power?  You only need look to the south of that answer

On 9/20/2023 at 4:56 PM, Inspector BlakeQuinn said:

You're completely missing the boat here.  It's so much more than teaching.

Parents are being kept in the dark.

Kids should never be encouraged to take hormone therapy 

The curriculum is highlighted with a very easy google search you're just too lazy to look and too easily fall for your rabble rabble echo chamber of facebook memes. 

38 minutes ago, stawns said:

I would agree with you, 15 years ago.  As many of us have pointed out, a strong fiscally conservative party is incredibly important for Canada.  But the right has been completely hijacked by the far right, social conservations who are anything but fiscally conservative.......that started with The Reform Party, continued with Harper and is now a comp le eye and utter sh!t show.

Do you really think PP is going to be able to control those nutjobs if they get power?  You only need look to the south of that answer

Or, can PP be kept under control? That’s my biggest fear, another Harper clone. This is the third shot the CPC has had at Trudeau, and if he’s the best they can do for a leadership candidate, they’re toast. The 3 major cities in this country should be enough.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I’m here bro lol. I’ve said many times that PP annoys me. I just can’t understand how anyone could be cool with JT. It’s a pick your poison scenario and I don’t see how it could get worse with a minority CPC. 

1 minute ago, LaBamba said:

I’m here bro lol. I’ve said many times that PP annoys me. I just can’t understand how anyone could be cool with JT. It’s a pick your poison scenario and I don’t see how it could get worse with a minority CPC. 

A minority CPC is fine.  But a majority means a punitive and angry opposition without much in the way of a plan in power and we just did that in 2015 with Trudeau

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I'm no fan of JT and don't vote lib, but he is, by far, the lesser of two evils.  For all the vitriol sent JT's way, he hasn't really done much to deserve it.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

A minority CPC is fine.  But a majority means a punitive and angry opposition without much in the way of a plan in power and we just did that in 2015 with Trudeau

A minority cpc also means the NDP/Libs will still hold the power over what gets passed.  It also likely means a series of elections in a short period until either the Libs win back government or the CPC gets a majority

On 9/20/2023 at 10:15 AM, Warhippy said:

I see a lot of Niqabs in that image.  Nice to see people coming together....

The immigrant aspect of this is disappointing and shortsighted.  When the right comes for them, and they always do, it's always the left (especially lgbtq) who fights for them.

Its behind a paywall, but interesting interview with Trudeau in the NY Times yesterday. He didn't reveal the evidence yet, but the Times reporters say they are convinced there's some "there" there with the Modi directed killing. 

Trudeau is handling this correctly imo - taking his time to shore things up, gaining support, and most of all interest. By going to the Times, he's created a lot of anticipation to see the evidence. 

Good thing PP is on the sidelines chirping about "urgency". What a tool. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Thanks 1

On 9/22/2023 at 8:16 AM, Breadnbutta said:

I’ve been lurking these forums for a long time.

it’s a bit hypocritical how everyone jumps on someone for sharing their beliefs and thoughts, regardless if you agree or not. 

and then after retaliating he/she gets banned.

just my 2 cents.

it’s nobody’s business how others want their children taught, and those protests aren’t hateful either.

there is a far left mob in here.

as a new poster I will be sticking to Canucks talk.

Conservative: I have been censored for my conservative views!

Me: Holy shit! You were censored for wanting lower taxes?

Con: LOL no…no not those views.

Me: So…deregulation?

Con: Haha no not those views either.

Me: Which views, exactly?

Con: Oh, you know the ones.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1