Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I'd prefer they abide by the ruling myself.  This is how the law works.  

The sad thing about this; and yes I know what I am doing here, is that I see people screaming about this and yelling at Trudeau and applauding the courts, but 5 days ago they were screaming at Trudeau and against the courts regarding the turn over and ruling regarding the largest single land transfer back to first nations in our nations history

Some people can not be pleased.  In this instance, Trudeau needs to take the L and move on; but this should still be a heads up that our nation won't tolerate a bunch of cowboy karens in lifted trucks shitting on our capitol because they don't understand how our system of government works or the election results.

Personally as opposed to amending and fixing the emergencies act, I'd rather see Trudeau give the Ottawa/Carlton police extra judicial powers to protect the capitol from events like this in times of severe duress; taking the fault away from the government and allowing law enforcement to do the jobs they're paid for.

have to disagree, this should be appealed. We now have disagreement between an independent inquiry judgement and a lower federal court judge. This can't be left in limbo like this. Otherwise future protests will feel free to continue the stupid shit.

Now if the SCoC sides with the lower court judge, then it is what it is. Its got implications for the future that need to be resolved, imo. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Singh is proving to be a poor leader. The void left by the Trudeau liberals right now and the collapse of that base should have been an empty net goal for the NDP. 

They would do well to remove Singh and replace him with a more moderate voice. They could push liberals to 3rd quite easily. 

2 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

So you don't care that the courts just ruled that they violated Canadians' Charter of Rights? Like not big deal, just move on? So Pierre gets in, violates Charter of Rights and who cares? 

its one judges opinion. Its too important of an issue to leave un-appealed. 

The supreme court can choose not to hear it btw. They can review the current judgement and decide to go that way, and then its done. 

19 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Singh is proving to be a poor leader. The void left by the Trudeau liberals right now and the collapse of that base should have been an empty net goal for the NDP. 

While I'm certainly no huge Singh supporter, I think it's likely the party "king makers" making that call.

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

As enlightening as it is to hear exactly what is going to happen politically I'm still waiting to hear how your dinner went and exactly what should be done with all the transgender kids in our schools.

My cousin invited 15 people over for pizza.  So, I refrained from bringing up the topic as he was busy all night making pizza and there were 10 people in the house that I didn't really know.  I did speak to my friend whose wife is a principal and she was going to get back to me this week sometime.  I did get some basic info from my friend, so I was going to wait until after I spoke to his wife before I shared the info.

One thing he did tell me which I will share is that all schools have several counsellors on site to deal with this issue.  The school where my friend's wife is a principal has 4 counsellors on staff.  Teachers are told to contact a counsellor if a student approaches them with this issue.  Teachers are NOT supposed to handle the situation themselves, which is the opposite of what some posters in here have stated.  Of course, some teachers will not follow this procedure, so ultimately it is up to the teacher to make the call.  Not every teacher will handle the situation the same way.  Also, there is no policy in the school on how to deal with this.  So, ultimately the school is relying on the teacher to do the right thing.

If the situation is serious enough and the police need to get involved, then the principal will refer the issue to the Vancouver School Board, where they have people on staff who will get involved.  The principal will first fill out a checklist that they need to complete to make sure everything is being dealt with according to the School Board's recommendations.  Once the principal has completed the checklist and the principal feels the situation is serious enough, the child may be in danger, etc., they immediately refer the situation to the School Board and the School Board effectively takes over from there...

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

When you cozy up with the crazies don't be surprised when the rest of vote for the other guy. 

Not every Conservative is a crazy conspiracy theorist.  But it's nice to know that you like to lump everyone together and paint everyone with the same brush...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

16 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

So you don't care that the courts just ruled that they violated Canadians' Charter of Rights?

A court- not "the courts"

This case was going to the Supreme Court, no matter the lower courts decisions- either way.

Nobody walking away from this till the Supremes have their say.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not every Conservative is a crazy conspiracy theorist.  But it's nice to know that you like to lump everyone together and paint everyone with the same brush...

Not every Conservative is a crazy conspiracy theorist but every (virtually) crazy conspiracy theorist is a Conservative.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When you refuse to denounce the crazies, don't be surprised when people associate you with them.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don't think anyone has said that.  But of the three major parties in Canada which one do you think is the greater magnet for such people?

• ThereItIs 2

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trudeau has a zero chance of winning the next election.  ZERO.  Like BIG ZERO.  If the Liberals actually want a shot then they should force him to resign...

Well, I think this seals it then....

If anyone knows "ZERO", it's Petey....

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gurn said:

This case was going to the Supreme Court, no matter the lower courts decisions- either way.

Bingo. Only question is, will they hear it?

46 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, you think this 60% will change their minds from now until election day?  Trudeau is appealing a decision which even you agree he should just take the L and walk away from.  I think that pretty much solidifies any voter's decision over whether to vote again for Trudeau.  I'm not sure what exactly the Liberal party is going to be able to do from today until election day to change people's minds to vote for them.  If an election were held today, PP would win in the largest landslide in Candian political history.  What exactly is Trudeau going to do to reverse that over the next year?

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trudeau has a zero chance of winning the next election.  ZERO.  Like BIG ZERO.  If the Liberals actually want a shot then they should force him to resign...

From the article I posted earlier today:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/most-canadians-who-plan-to-vote-liberal-doing-so-to-stop-conservatives-from-winning-poll-1.6737176

Strategic voting a possible wildcard
However, strategic voting could be a wildcard in the election, the institute noted.

"Many NDP voters appear to be willing to support the Liberals in the event the CPC are on the track to victory," it wrote in the report.

More than one-third (36 per cent) of NDP supporters said they would likely switch their vote to Liberals and three in 10 (30 per cent) said they would consider that option. Others said it is unlikely (19 per cent) or not going to happen (15 per cent).

"This would be a catastrophic loss of support for (NDP Leader) Jagmeet Singh and his party, which increased its support from 16 to 18 per cent from 2019 to 2021," according to the report.

From would-be Bloc Québécois voters who want to stop the Tories, 35 per cent said the switch is possible (26 per cent) or likely to happen (19 per cent).

Defined as people who said they would most likely vote Liberal to block the Tories, "likely switchers" comprise about a quarter of the non-Conservative, non-Liberal vote.

Should they decide to vote Liberal, Angus Reid said the Liberals would be in "a much more competitive situation, with 34 per cent of vote intention." Even in this case, the Liberals would still trail by a seven-point margin, it added.

Moreover, another one-in-three non-Conservative, non-Liberal voters said it's “possible” they would switch. In this case, Angus Reid noted that the Liberals would be statistically tied with the Conservatives.

"There are many factors in play when it comes to Canadians’ vote intentions, but this suggests that the gap between the two parties may not be as large as it currently stands," it wrote in the report.

31 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Do they come out and sing the verdict...because that would be awesome!

Supremes-Florence-Ballard-Mary-Wilson-Di

• Like 2
  • Haha 1