Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If an election were held today, PP would win in the largest landslide in Candian political history. 

What exactly is Trudeau going to do to reverse that over the next year?

1993 says hello.

Trudeau is going to do nothing.  It's Puerres election to lose.  But you're making grand statements for over 60% of the entire nation.  Only a few times in our entire national history has a party won more than 40% of the vote and you're saying that or suggesting that Pierre will somehow win more than 60% of it?

Not gonna happen champ.  The thing is, the entirety of the nation comes down to something like 30, 30, 20, 12, 8 which runs like Libs, Cons, Bloc, NDP, Greens respectively.

The Libs NDP Greens and Bloc all run centre left/left.  That's more than 60% of the entire nation as many libs/cons wear a small L or small C and can swing either way, usually 7% to 10% which decides elections.

Historically, the Libs lose and the cons get a majority ONLY with a strong NDP and that's not happening under Singh.  Pierre has pissed off Quebec and stands a good chance of losing ground there to the Libs and or Bloc.

The most likely scenario is a lib loss and a con minority with the Bloc or NDP holding the balance of power.

No matter what fantasy you're living in, it's not happening to see the cons beat Chretiens 93 win or conservative loss depending on your views

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

have to disagree, this should be appealed. We now have disagreement between an independent inquiry judgement and a lower federal court judge. This can't be left in limbo like this. Otherwise future protests will feel free to continue the stupid shit.

Now if the SCoC sides with the lower court judge, then it is what it is. Its got implications for the future that need to be resolved, imo. 

My mistake, I had read that to understand that WAS a supreme Court ruling.

If it's now a 1-1 case then yes an appeal must be made and a final ruling has and no matter what that ruling is, the ruling government must abide by it until they amend the laws 

• Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

What a little weasel POS.  He should be arrested and forced to resign

Who is?

Why should they be arrested?

Who must be forced to resign?

Doesn't sound entirely democratic 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

My mistake, I had read that to understand that WAS a supreme Court ruling.

If it's now a 1-1 case then yes an appeal must be made and a final ruling has and no matter what that ruling is, the ruling government must abide by it until they amend the laws 

Yea it wasn't all that clear from the story 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

1993 says hello.

Trudeau is going to do nothing.  It's Puerres election to lose.  But you're making grand statements for over 60% of the entire nation.  Only a few times in our entire national history has a party won more than 40% of the vote and you're saying that or suggesting that Pierre will somehow win more than 60% of it?

Not gonna happen champ.  The thing is, the entirety of the nation comes down to something like 30, 30, 20, 12, 8 which runs like Libs, Cons, Bloc, NDP, Greens respectively.

The Libs NDP Greens and Bloc all run centre left/left.  That's more than 60% of the entire nation as many libs/cons wear a small L or small C and can swing either way, usually 7% to 10% which decides elections.

Historically, the Libs lose and the cons get a majority ONLY with a strong NDP and that's not happening under Singh.  Pierre has pissed off Quebec and stands a good chance of losing ground there to the Libs and or Bloc.

The most likely scenario is a lib loss and a con minority with the Bloc or NDP holding the balance of power.

No matter what fantasy you're living in, it's not happening to see the cons beat Chretiens 93 win or conservative loss depending on your views

I never said PP was going to win 60% of the vote. I said he was going to win in the greatest landslide in Canadian political history. He’s projected to get 198 seats as of 2 days ago based on an aggregate of polls. Chrétien only got 177 seats in 1993. 

https://338canada.com/federal.htm

The only people who are living in a fantasy are the ones who think Trudeau can win the next election. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Who is?

Why should they be arrested?

Who must be forced to resign?

Doesn't sound entirely democratic 

Dont play ignorant. 
We all know who, what, why.  

Trudy has slipped his way through a couple bad looks and came out the other side, but this is a bad fucking look for sure.  

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/federal-court-rules-emergencies-act-invocation-not-justified-1.6738624

I look forward for when he steps down and I can feel ok about voting liberal again. 
Id never vote for PP, but fuck am I done with Trudy.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Dont play ignorant. 
We all know who, what, why.  

Trudy has slipped his way through a couple bad looks and came out the other side, but this is a bad fucking look for sure.  

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/federal-court-rules-emergencies-act-invocation-not-justified-1.6738624

I look forward for when he steps down and I can feel ok about voting liberal again. 
Id never vote for PP, but fuck am I done with Trudy.   

Too much ego and pride. He also has Jagmeet propping him up. Normally this would trigger an election, but not for the handsome hair guy who takes his ex-wife's boyfriend on vacation with him. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Too much ego and pride. He also has Jagmeet propping him up. Normally this would trigger an election, but not for the handsome hair guy who takes his ex-wife's boyfriend on vacation with him. 

Please tell me the last time a federal election was called, because of a lower court ruling?

Especially a ruling that is already being appealed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, DSVII said:

I'd argue that a major reason he secured a majority in the 2015 election was due to this promise, aside from Harper fatigue.

Don't forget legalization of pot .... Played a huge roll in his win

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 5forFighting said:

Never in our history has being in a minority government triggered an election .... Minority governments have lost confidence votes and had to call elections and a few have called snap elections when the polls heavily favoured them like Harper and Horgan here in BC

There is a long history of coalition and minority governments in our history. It was Harper that invented the fake idea that coalitions are not legit ... To save his own bacon

I feel we have gotten decent government when we have coalitions as it forces compromise. Harper's term in minority was not terrible as it kept his power in check 

1 hour ago, Sapper said:

Never in our history has being in a minority government triggered an election .... Minority governments have lost confidence votes and had to call elections and a few have called snap elections when the polls heavily favoured them like Harper and Horgan here in BC

There is a long history of coalition and minority governments in our history. It was Harper that invented the fake idea that coalitions are not legit ... To save his own bacon

I feel we have gotten decent government when we have coalitions as it forces compromise. Harper's term in minority was not terrible as it kept his power in check 

Just imagine if JT had maintained a majority government.   He was/is being called a dictator with a minority government. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I never said PP was going to win 60% of the vote. I said he was going to win in the greatest landslide in Canadian political history. He’s projected to get 198 seats as of 2 days ago based on an aggregate of polls. Chrétien only got 177 seats in 1993. 

https://338canada.com/federal.htm

The only people who are living in a fantasy are the ones who think Trudeau can win the next election. 

338 seats now vs 295 in 1993.  How's that math add up?

3 hours ago, 5forFighting said:

2 hours ago, Sapper said:

This fucking country was literally built on a great coalition of Liberals and Conservatives.  

George-Étienne Cartier.  George Brown.  John A. fucking MacDonald.  The founding fathers of Confederation @5forFighting your precious little country wouldn't even fucking exist if it weren't for a massive coalition.  Eat that history right up.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

T

4 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

This fucking country was literally built on a great coalition of Liberals and Conservatives.  

George-Étienne Cartier.  George Brown.  John A. fucking MacDonald.  The founding fathers of Confederation @5forFighting your precious little country wouldn't even fucking exist if it weren't for a massive coalition.  Eat that history right up.

The scandals plus polling should be enough, but the pride and ego of captain nice hair won't let him call it. 

You seem a little unhinged. Try touching some grass.

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

OK I know this is gonna be insulting to some but I feel this needs to be done.  So here it is again in comic sans and a bright colour

Trudeau is the PM of a minority government and has been since 2019 ish.  This means Trudy as some keep calling him has like no real power as he is beholden to not only the senate but another party as well.  Meaning that he has all sorts of hoops to jump as a party lead or PM just to get anything done.  Meaning that while people sit and blame him for things, he has like literally no power or say over.  If he had a majority this would be a very different statement but he doesn't.  As for the federal court ruling, this means two courts have now ruled that it was justified and was not justified meaning it is still kind of a grey area.  Should the supreme court decide it was justified as it closed multiple border crossings, had people armed with plans to attack mounties in Alberta AND occupied/took over the actual capitol; will they be accepting of it; or will they still blame "Trudy" for it?

The reason I keep reminding people this is that I find and feel as though intelligence by and large has taken a massive hit over the last 4 years and it is just really fucking sad to see people listening to social media being directed to them from other nations that don't even know how our government works, who are now parroting this crap and don't know how our government works.  "Trudy" is not the cause or reason behind all the bad things happening in people's lives.  If ones life is hard 90% of it is because they are making crappy decisions or refusing to better it, stop blaming the government for everything wrong in your world.

I should point out this is NOT a direct attack at you; if you feel it is feel free to lace that boot up and wear the hell out of it.  It's a statement in general to the people that keep repeating these statements.

Well said!

I have two comments to add:

1. Personal responsibility - seems that one of the characteristics of the unhinged right is to refuse to accept personal responsibility on matters that are truly within their purview.  Probably because it's easier to blame a boogeyman figurehead and some nebulous "elites" instead of accepting that they made bad personal decisions that put themselves in their own current predicament.

2. Following the other primary trait of theirs of "every accusation is a confession", it's obvious that they yearn for a strongarm figurehead to blindly follow instead of the more complex machinations of how government truly works - that's why they attack Trudeau instead of trying to understand that he's currently unable to exercise his and his party's vision fully because of the way the legislative, judicial, and "executive" arms (to borrow terms from our neighbours to the south) work.  They claim they love freedom and democracy, but in reality they would rather embrace the simpler and more opaque governance that authoritarianism brings, because it's easier to predict a dictator's actions and find ways to successfully operate within it than it is with a more complex, transparent governance system.  And plus point 1 above. 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Just imagine if JT had maintained a majority government.   He was/is being called a dictator with a minority government. 

Harper tried the same .... I'm no fan of Trudeau but the genesis of this is the cons attack to create the image that minority governments are some how illegitimate and everything they do is dictatorship as they are not a Majority. However when Harper had a minority it was somehow totally not the same lol

To be fair both parties use the same old rant ... Libs didn't use it with Harper as they didn't want to trigger an election they knew he would win ... But trudeau senior didn't hold back when Joe Clark had his minority 

3 hours ago, 5forFighting said:

T

The scandals plus polling should be enough, but the pride and ego of captain nice hair won't let him call it. 

You seem a little unhinged. Try touching some grass.

"Plus polling"? :classic_huh:

You think that low poll numbers are an indication that a PM should call an election?

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Well said!

I have two comments to add:

1. Personal responsibility - seems that one of the characteristics of the unhinged right is to refuse to accept personal responsibility on matters that are truly within their purview.  Probably because it's easier to blame a boogeyman figurehead and some nebulous "elites" instead of accepting that they made bad personal decisions that put themselves in their own current predicament.

2. Following the other primary trait of theirs of "every accusation is a confession", it's obvious that they yearn for a strongarm figurehead to blindly follow instead of the more complex machinations of how government truly works - that's why they attack Trudeau instead of trying to understand that he's currently unable to exercise his and his party's vision fully because of the way the legislative, judicial, and "executive" arms (to borrow terms from our neighbours to the south) work.  They claim they love freedom and democracy, but in reality they would rather embrace the simpler and more opaque governance that authoritarianism brings, because it's easier to predict a dictator's actions and find ways to successfully operate within it than it is with a more complex, transparent governance system.  And plus point 1 above. 

Personal responsibility went out the window once the reformers convinced the Canadian right that they were all victims. It's hiw you can make 130k per year in the patch and be angry about it.

The "man at the top" lens is quite funny. That massive oversimplified view of government explains a lot of their reactions to Trudeau.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Personal responsibility went out the window once the reformers convinced the Canadian right that they were all victims. It's hiw you can make 130k per year in the patch and be angry about it.

The "man at the top" lens is quite funny. That massive oversimplified view of government explains a lot of their reactions to Trudeau.

Making 130/year in the patch? 😂😂😂. What do you think this is 1995? Or maybe big city people that come to scrub the toilets… the janitors have to be making at least 160 nowadays.