Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

8 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Our elected officials. This is a text between Marco Mendicino and Mr Lametti. I am sure it's coincidence again that his resignation was today. 

Especially given the RCMP says level 2 was not met (which meant the Canadians illegally parked in Ottawa honking were not being violent).

Marco is already resigning. More will follow. Interesting Carney mention. 

20240125_182750.thumb.jpg.a7206e28c3040928296de469ff2a35cc.jpg

I'm so glad I wasn't an elected official who had to deal with things like pandemics and occupations in real time as they unfolded.  I'm so glad I'm just a private citizen who can look back on it all with the 20/20 vision of hindsight.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

You know I actually have to agree with you on this one.   Despite that, I think calling somebody the worst PM in history really should require some knowledge of history. 

People who know their history are better able to engage in civics and political debates.  I have often found the dumbest people are usually the least knowledgeable in their own country's history.  That's why you had freedom convoy folks talk about "1st Amendment rights".

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

You know I actually have to agree with you on this one.   Despite that, I think calling somebody the worst PM in history really should require some knowledge of history. 

Agree with you both on the money thing. Calling Trudeau the worst is kind of like calling Travis Green the worst coach in Canuck history when you’ve never heard of Bill Laforge & others. For me JT falls neither in best nor worst category, just solidly in the mushy middle.

On a side note today’s word is trichophillia.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

People who know their history are better able to engage in civics and political debates.  I have often found the dumbest people are usually the least knowledgeable in their own country's history.  That's why you had freedom convoy folks talk about "1st Amendment rights".

Sure, I think knowledge is always a good thing.   I also think you don't need a whole lot of it to have an opinion as valid as anyone's - unless we are talking about quantum electrodynamics or brain surgery.

Would some dummy who agreed with you be given more latitude?

7 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Agree with you both on the money thing. Calling Trudeau the worst is kind of like calling Travis Green the worst coach in Canuck history when you’ve never heard of Bill Laforge & others. For me JT falls neither in best nor worst category, just solidly in the mushy middle.

On a side note today’s word is trichophillia.

My point about the money is that some of the most famous Canadian PMs are featured on them.  As I mentioned earlier in my other post... If an American comes up to you and starts lecturing you on presidential history, but doesn't know who Washington and Lincoln are, would you respect their opinion?

You can live a great life not knowing who's on the bills.  But you definitely can't try and talk about greatest/worst PMs.

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Sure, I think knowledge is always a good thing.   I also think you don't need a whole lot of it to have an opinion as valid as anyone's - unless we are talking about quantum electrodynamics or brain surgery.

Would some dummy who agreed with you be given more latitude?

You really don't need whole lot of knowledge to know the faces on money.  And you don't need to know a lot about Canadian history.  But it's relevant to the topic at hand, and his lack of knowledge seems to account for a majority of his misconceptions.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

My point about the money is that some of the most famous Canadian PMs are featured on them.  As I mentioned earlier in my other post... If an American comes up to you and starts lecturing you on presidential history, but doesn't know who Washington and Lincoln are, would you respect their opinion?

You can live a great life not knowing who's on the bills.  But you definitely can't try and talk about greatest/worst PMs.

You really don't need whole lot of knowledge to know the faces on money.  And you don't need to know a lot about Canadian history.  But it's relevant to the topic at hand, and his lack of knowledge seems to account for a majority of his misconceptions.

Ok, I can tell  we are not going to full agree on this.  Why would not knowing what bill Laurier is on be proof of ignorance of Laurier? 

And don't get me wrong I think Mr. 5 often exaggerates and draws incorrect conclusions but if I am going to be truly honest I think your approach to all this is a bit harsh and heavy.  Remaining honest, that's probably why I weighed into this conversation in the first place.

9 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Does worst PM in my lifetime count then?

Depends on how old you are 😀   Weren't you here for Harper?

EDIT - all this recent stuff just proves that words have to be chosen carefully.  You never know which ones you will have to defend.

Edited by Satchmo

With all the talk of John A, he has to be in the conversation for worst PM of all time due to the residential schools and the head tax.  I'd also argue that executing Louis Riel was a little more extreme than what happened under the Emergencies Act.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Ok, I can tell  we are not going to full agree on this.  Why would not knowing what bill Laurier is on be proof of ignorance of Laurier? 

And don't get me wrong I think Mr. 5 often exaggerates and draws incorrect conclusions but if I am going to be truly honest I think your approach to all this is a bit harsh and heavy.  Remaining honest, that's probably why I weighed into this conversation in the first place.

You would be very hard-pressed to find someone who knows who Laurier was (and more importantly, what he did), but not be able to identify his face.  The only person I'd give a pass to is a blind man who uses the braille on the notes.

You are techincally right.  You do not have to know what a historical individual looks like in order to be knowledgeable about them.  But honestly - what is the likelihood of that?

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You would be very hard-pressed to find someone who knows who Laurier was (and more importantly, what he did), but not be able to identify his face.  The only person I'd give a pass to is a blind man who uses the braille on the notes.

You are techincally right.  You do not have to know what a historical individual looks like in order to be knowledgeable about them.  But honestly - what is the likelihood of that?

Wait - does your hypothetical test require that we have the bills in front of us?  I thought we were expected to just know them all from memory.  I sure don't.

Either way, we are still not likely to fully agree on the bills thing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Wait - does your hypothetical test require that we have the bills in front of us?  I thought we were expected to just know them all from memory.  I sure don't.

Either way, we are still not likely to fully agree on the bills thing. 

"I think Horvat was the worst captain in Canucks history"

"I think Hughes is the best captain in Canucks history"

If you asked this person who wore #11, or #16, and they didn't know, would you respect their opinions?  Wouldn't you immediately start doubting this person's history knowledge?

Or better yet, forget the hypotheticals.  I tested 5 and the only he actually got was Her Majesty the Queen.  This is not about you not knowing who's on which bill.  This is about him not knowing who any of these people are, even if I name them for him.  Do you think he can name... even five Canadian Prime Ministers?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 5forFighting said:

Our elected officials. This is a text between Marco Mendicino and Mr Lametti. I am sure it's coincidence again that his resignation was today. 

Especially given the RCMP says level 2 was not met (which meant the Canadians illegally parked in Ottawa honking were not being violent).

Marco is already resigning. More will follow. Interesting Carney mention. 

20240125_182750.thumb.jpg.a7206e28c3040928296de469ff2a35cc.jpg

Looks like a lot of Trudeau’s posse are going to be bailing before the hammer comes down on them. Too bad hair gel guy thinks he’s above the law and untouchable. Too bad he’s going to take his party down with him. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 5forFighting said:

Sorry there isn't an official ranking for PMs but Trudeau is the worst I've ever known.

My official ranking. You don't have to take part. 

Name calling, you should get some help. 

Ok grasshopper. Stick around if you are lucky and you will see worse. 

11 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

40s!??  You're in your 40s!???  You were alive when the last Trudeau was Prime Minister!  I thought you were 25.

I wonder when you started following politics.

My entire life. I just don't look at the people on the money, I have better things to stare at.

4 hours ago, 5forFighting said:

Extremist? I stated facts. 

Then you should learn what facts are buddy.

(ie. Your opinion is not a fact)

I don't expect you to change your ways anyway. You like your conspiracies.

Edited by The Lock

25 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

My entire life. I just don't look at the people on the money, I have better things to stare at.

So then tell me.  You named John A.  What did MacDonald and his party have to do to begin the Confederation process?  And what is his legacy on governmental structure in Canada?

And to everyone else... yes, these answers are absolutely relevant to this topic.