Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I literally minored in political science at UBC but still had to look up who was on the $100 bill. What a dumb take. You can do better Bob. 

You are not the one boasting about who the best and worst Prime Ministers are.  History is my academic field.  And when someone gets cocky about history while getting everything fundamentally wrong, I'm going to call them out on it.

You already know I'm too young to have watched Orr or prime Gretzky but hockey history is a great thing to read up on.  And you wouldn't respect my hockey ppinion if it was obvious I didn't know who Orr/Howe/Richard were.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

So then tell me.  You named John A.  What did MacDonald and his party have to do to begin the Confederation process?  And what is his legacy on governmental structure in Canada?

And to everyone else... yes, these answers are absolutely relevant to this topic.

A better question:  How is Trudeau worse than John A MacDonald, a man who committed genocide against the indigenous people and executed those who opposed him?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 5forFighting said:

Does worst PM in my lifetime count then?

As the worst in history? I guess, to a narcissist. But some of us are aware that the world existed before we were born.

Edited by WeneedLumme

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

A better question:  How is Trudeau worse than John A MacDonald, a man who committed genocide against the indigenous people and executed those who opposed him?

Considering he claims he's from Russia, maybe he feels there's nothing wrong with what JAMacD did?  :classic_ninja:

edit - for reference, here's a screen cap of the claim:

image.png.42ce56274c2d034c09ccad164a8e5d09.png

from this post:

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Those are value judgments, and subject to legitimate (and complex) historical debate.  I'd agree with you, but someone else can disagree and make a discussion out of it.

My issue is not that.  It's with 5's condemning the federal government for.... coalitions and things outside its jurisdiction.  We're not here to discuss MacDonald's overall legacy.  We're here to clarify what his political legacy was in shaping Canadian government, and how it shows that 5 knows nothing about his own country's history.  Because if he knew how this country was formed, he would not be blaming Trudeau for half the things we've seen here.

That's why it's important to know your own country's history.  If you don't know, then there's a chance you also don't know how politics or society works.  That's why IMO one should be able to identify the most famous PMs on our money and at least be able to explain how they built up this country (for better or for worse).  And if you're gonna start talking mad shit, then you better know.

Edited by Miss Korea

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Those are value judgments, and subject to legitimate (and complex) historical debate.  I'd agree with you, but someone else can disagree and make a discussion out of it.

My issue is not that.  It's with 5's condemning the federal government for.... coalitions and things outside its jurisdiction.  We're not here to discuss MacDonald's overall legacy.  We're here to clarify what his political legacy was in shaping Canadian government, and how it shows that 5 knows nothing about his own country's history.  Because if he knew how this country was formed, he would not be blaming Trudeau for half the things we've seen here.

That's why it's important to know your own country's history.  If you don't know, then there's a chance you also don't know how politics or society works.  That's why IMO one should be able to identify the most famous PMs on our money and at least be able to explain how they built up this country (for better or for worse).  And if you're gonna start talking mad shit, then you better know.

I don't disagree with any of your points, but my complaint is simply that if you're going to call someone the worst of all time, you should be able to defend your opinion against any of the possible alternatives.  So far, 5 has failed to address either of our concerns.

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I don't disagree with any of your points, but my complaint is simply that if you're going to call someone the worst of all time, you should be able to defend your opinion against any of the possible alternatives.  So far, 5 has failed to address either of our concerns.

He has been pressed on many of the issues and the only thing we've got from him is...

His age and ethnicity.  Nice.

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Any PM who's going to try and strangle a journalist deserves our respect.

Unless I’m mistaken it was a a protester not a journalist and at least the “Shawinigan Handshake” as it was known was actually physical. Chrétien didn’t half-ass it like  “Elbowgate.”

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, luckylager said:

Any PM who's going to try and strangle a journalist deserves our respect.

14 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Unless I’m mistaken it was a a protester not a journalist and at least the “Shawinigan Handshake” as it was known was actually physical. Chrétien didn’t half-ass it like  “Elbowgate.”

I was a fan of Chretien for a number of years, but his recent comments about the continued need to engage the ccp are from a mindset stuck in the '80s and '90s, when the ccp was more willing to play by the rules of international law, and not the international scofflaw/bully that they've currently become.  I have to admit that I'm somewhat disappointed in his world view not being updated to the reality of the 2020s.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I was a fan of Chretien for a number of years, but his recent comments about the continued need to engage the ccp are from a mindset stuck in the '80s and '90s, when the ccp was more willing to play by the rules of international law, and not the international scofflaw/bully that they've currently become.  I have to admit that I'm somewhat disappointed in his world view not being updated to the reality of the 2020s.

I was as well but I was starting to sour on him & his relationships with the CCP and he lost me for good when he urged Canada to capitulate on the Meng Wanzhou case.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, 5forFighting said:

Our elected officials. This is a text between Marco Mendicino and Mr Lametti. I am sure it's coincidence again that his resignation was today. 

Especially given the RCMP says level 2 was not met (which meant the Canadians illegally parked in Ottawa honking were not being violent).

Marco is already resigning. More will follow. Interesting Carney mention. 

20240125_182750.thumb.jpg.a7206e28c3040928296de469ff2a35cc.jpg

Wow, people texting. Riveting.

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Looks like a lot of Trudeau’s posse are going to be bailing before the hammer comes down on them. Too bad hair gel guy thinks he’s above the law and untouchable. Too bad he’s going to take his party down with him. 

Are you suggesting federal MP's leave government for nice bureaucratic jobs with hefty salaries and early termination bonuses? The hell you say?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

You are not the one boasting about who the best and worst Prime Ministers are.  History is my academic field.  And when someone gets cocky about history while getting everything fundamentally wrong, I'm going to call them out on it.

You already know I'm too young to have watched Orr or prime Gretzky but hockey history is a great thing to read up on.  And you wouldn't respect my hockey ppinion if it was obvious I didn't know who Orr/Howe/Richard were.

Oh, that's your problem, you're a know it all. You have nothing better to do than wait for someone to make a comment so you can Akshually them. 

Trudeau is the worst leader of any country, ever, in all the cosmos. 

Have fun. 

13 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Agree with you both on the money thing. Calling Trudeau the worst is kind of like calling Travis Green the worst coach in Canuck history when you’ve never heard of Bill Laforge & others. For me JT falls neither in best nor worst category, just solidly in the mushy middle.

On a side note today’s word is trichophillia.

I wouldn't weigh in on the worst PM in history, because the first I remember (vaguely) is Lester Pearson.

If I had to pick the worst PM in my memory, it would probably be Joe Clark. He wasn't even popular in Alberta.....I remember gigging in Edmonton in the 80's and seeing a note someone had scribbled on one of the bathroom stalls: "If you voted for Joe Clark, you can't shit here.....your asshole is in Ottawa"....

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Considering he claims he's from Russia, maybe he feels there's nothing wrong with what JAMacD did?  :classic_ninja:

edit - for reference, here's a screen cap of the claim:

image.png.42ce56274c2d034c09ccad164a8e5d09.png

from this post:

I also wear size 15 boots, have some gray in my beard, shoot left handed, play pickleball, own goats, have an ebike, sleep with no pillows, am covered in tattoos, am color blind

12 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

"I think Horvat was the worst captain in Canucks history"

"I think Hughes is the best captain in Canucks history"

If you asked this person who wore #11, or #16, and they didn't know, would you respect their opinions?  Wouldn't you immediately start doubting this person's history knowledge?

Or better yet, forget the hypotheticals.  I tested 5 and the only he actually got was Her Majesty the Queen.  This is not about you not knowing who's on which bill.  This is about him not knowing who any of these people are, even if I name them for him.  Do you think he can name... even five Canadian Prime Ministers?

Listen to yourself. You're on a hockey forum telling people you tested someone. 

Seek help. No one cares the money you wasted in university to study Canadian history or politics.

If the best it's done for you is to try to "own" someone on a hockey forum about their opinion then the system has failed you. 

Go touch some grass. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I wouldn't weigh in on the worst PM in history, because the first I remember (vaguely) is Lester Pearson.

If I had to pick the worst PM in my memory, it would probably be Joe Clark. He wasn't even popular in Alberta.....I remember gigging in Edmonton in the 80's and seeing a note someone had scribbled on one of the bathroom stalls: "If you voted for Joe Clark, you can't shit here.....your asshole is in Ottawa"....

You're about to be "reeeeeeeeed" and tested on Joe Clark. You better know everything about every PM to make a statement like that. 

27 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

I also wear size 15 boots, have some gray in my beard, shoot left handed, play pickleball, own goats, have an ebike, sleep with no pillows, am covered in tattoos, am color blind

Pickleball? Monster.

• Haha 2