Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Listen to yourself. You're on a hockey forum telling people you tested someone. 

Seek help. No one cares the money you wasted in university to study Canadian history or politics.

If the best it's done for you is to try to "own" someone on a hockey forum about their opinion then the system has failed you. 

Go touch some grass. 

All I see here is someone bragging about how little they know.  And all I see in your responses is just personal attacks and more personal attacks.  These are Trump-like tactics - when you can't win, just attack the person.  And all I've seen is you being trollbait.  You say something completely wrong (like blaming Trudeau for healthcare and groceries - WTF?) and then avoiding any pushback like a bitch.

Lemme ask you this - what has hating Trudeau done for you?

17 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Are you suggesting federal MP's leave government for nice bureaucratic jobs with hefty salaries and early termination bonuses? The hell you say?

I assume you mean from any party, provincial & federal?

Like Jason Kenney becoming a senior advisor to a Calgary law firm on Feb 1/23, nominated to ATCO board on Mar 31/23, appointed to board of directors Fairfax India Holdings Corporation May 11/23, joins TENEO as senior advisor June 15/23, hired as senior advisor to Calgary tech company July 15/23…. quite a busy start to 2023 after resigning his seat Dec 1/22.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I assume you mean from any party, provincial & federal?

Like Jason Kenney becoming a senior advisor to a Calgary law firm on Feb 1/23, nominated to ATCO board on Mar 31/23, appointed to board of directors Fairfax India Holdings Corporation May 11/23, joins TENEO as senior advisor June 15/23, hired as senior advisor to Calgary tech company July 15/23…. quite a busy start to 2023 after resigning his seat Dec 1/22.

Yes, I mean any party. The Kenney appointments you mention are board seats which ultimately have to be adjudicated by the shareholders. I would add that much of the Harper cabinet did the same. 

My original thought was more on the government side whether provincial or federal. I understand that even on the public side that such things are a subject of negotiation. I just think there should be a vesting period before a benefit like that kicks in. Also think that with proper notice it should not exist. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Yes, I mean any party. The Kenney appointments you mention are board seats which ultimately have to be adjudicated by the shareholders. I would add that much of the Harper cabinet did the same. 

My original thought was more on the government side whether provincial or federal. I understand that even on the public side that such things are a subject of negotiation. I just think there should be a vesting period before a benefit like that kicks in. Also think that with proper notice it should not exist. 

Then we will get less skilled people taking on the important government roles. 

No one in Canadas government is at the trough like the US.

Edited by Bob Long

16 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

First tanker will be loaded in April.  The bulk of the line fill will be in March.  

https://financialpost.com/commodities/energy/oil-gas/trans-mountain-pipeline-start-filling-oil-february

Trans Mountain pipeline to start filling with oil in February

This will be hated by both the NDP and CPC. Tells you it's the right thing.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

This will be hated by both the NDP and CPC. Tells you it's the right thing.

LNG is the way to go anyway. Better transition fuel to greener energy.  Not just for us either. But for others who have to rely on fuel but get it from powers we’d rather not see getting benefit. 

LNG in Kitimat is going along a bit smoother and could be semi operational this year. BC government alone gets like 23B over its 40 year lifespan.  it will take more than 10 years for the province to cover the total costs of its subsidies and agreements with First Nations.

A lot of eyes on Kitimat right now. All parties have interest in it. It could kickstart other big LNG projects and already has with smaller ones with one in Squamish getting a green light and a native led one in Kitimat. 

Canada has so many projects proposed but it takes a while to get them going. The success of Kitimat could shake things for the energy sector and create a massive boom of work in the industrial sector. 

Kitimat LNG has thousands working on building it from in and out of province. There are people here from the east coast. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

LNG is the way to go anyway. Better transition fuel to greener energy.  Not just for us either. But for others who have to rely on fuel but get it from powers we’d rather not see getting benefit. 

LNG in Kitimat is going along a bit smoother and could be semi operational this year. BC government alone gets like 23B over its 40 year lifespan.  it will take more than 10 years for the province to cover the total costs of its subsidies and agreements with First Nations.

A lot of eyes on Kitimat right now. All parties have interest in it. It could kickstart other big LNG projects and already has with smaller ones with one in Squamish getting a green light and a native led one in Kitimat. 

Canada has so many projects proposed but it takes a while to get them going. The success of Kitimat could shake things for the energy sector and create a massive boom of work in the industrial sector. 

Kitimat LNG has thousands working on building it from in and out of province. There are people here from the east coast. 

Where did this number come from? I remember a number closer to $2 billion per year to the BC government. My number might include a broader estimate of spin off taxation. The largest exporter of LNG is the good old USA. They are eating Canada's dinner on this one. The USA even uses Canadian natural gas in their LNG plants. Tourmaline from Canada exports their gas via this method. Whether it is gas or oil Canada ship be maxing out this energy resource. Our industry should get carbon credits for exports that replace coal in SE Asia. IMHO this is the only industrial strategy I can see that will produce a revenue stream that will fund Canadian government programs and service existing government debt. The Norges got on their soap box to condemn 'dirty' Canadian oil sands but have in the last 10 years built their sovereign wealth fund to over $140 billion. The Americans make $10's billions each year off their 9 LNG plants.     

2 hours ago, 5forFighting said:

You're about to be "reeeeeeeeed" and tested on Joe Clark. You better know everything about every PM to make a statement like that. 

I don't know what "reeeeeeeeed" means, but Clark lasted less than a year as PM before getting the boot. JT has been re-elected twice.....

I can't find a link to appropriately post this, but what's going on at Parkland Refinery? I've heard 6 workers were hurt because of an explosion a few days ago, and as a result, there has been a lingering odor around Burrard Inlet. Very little info has been released.

Edited by Johngould21

23 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I don't know what "reeeeeeeeed" means, but Clark lasted less than a year as PM before getting the boot. JT has been re-elected twice.....

Yeah, I really wish that people would stick to English.  Making up words because you don't have an argument isn't going to help your cause.

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Agreed, but we can still sell some oil too during the transition.

31 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Where did this number come from? I remember a number closer to $2 billion per year to the BC government. My number might include a broader estimate of spin off taxation. The largest exporter of LNG is the good old USA. They are eating Canada's dinner on this one. The USA even uses Canadian natural gas in their LNG plants. Tourmaline from Canada exports their gas via this method. Whether it is gas or oil Canada ship be maxing out this energy resource. Our industry should get carbon credits for exports that replace coal in SE Asia. IMHO this is the only industrial strategy I can see that will produce a revenue stream that will fund Canadian government programs and service existing government debt. The Norges got on their soap box to condemn 'dirty' Canadian oil sands but have in the last 10 years built their sovereign wealth fund to over $140 billion. The Americans make $10's billions each year off their 9 LNG plants.     

Early on estimates from early on reporting. What I posted doesn't include royalties the BC government would receive among other things.

What you posted could be the closer number. 

I know each shipment out will be worth hundreds of Millions. That's a lot of money floating around. 

Hopefully, Kitimat helps kickstart others. One in Prince Rupert could be another possibility as they have a terminal akin to what Kitimat has.

https://vancouversun.com/business/energy/top-gas-producer-in-canada-joins-effort-for-new-pacific-lng-terminal

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

Agreed, but we can still sell some oil too during the transition.

Yeah. We can really help countries transition during the next few decades while making bank. 

I am happy that BC NDP and the two major federal parties are pretty for it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah. We can really help countries transition during the next few decades while making bank. 

I am happy that BC NDP and the two major federal parties are pretty for it.

Jag should be too, but maybe that will come if the feds sell the pipeline to first Nations investors. That ownership change is something I really want to see.

Just now, Bob Long said:

Jag should be too, but maybe that will come if the feds sell the pipeline to first Nations investors. That ownership change is something I really want to see.

The same First Nations that approved the Kitimat LNG one are gonna be leading their own floating terminal(Cedar LNG) that just got approved in Kitimat. 

The Haisla Nation to be exact and I believe they got first dibs on Industrial jobs in the Kitimat LNG site. Plenty of First Nations working here both with Camp services and on-site. 

We spent a bit of time learning about them in orientation. They also sell some merch in the convenience store on camp like sweaters, hats, mugs, wallets with artwork and whatnot. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The same First Nations that approved the Kitimat LNG one are gonna be leading their own floating terminal(Cedar LNG) that just got approved in Kitimat. 

The Haisla Nation to be exact and I believe they got first dibs on Industrial jobs in the Kitimat LNG site. Plenty of First Nations working here both with Camp services and on-site. 

We spent a bit of time learning about them in orientation. They also sell some merch in the convenience store on camp like sweaters, hats, mugs, wallets with artwork and whatnot. 

That's awesome. 

36 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The Haisla Nation definitely seems to be ramping things up.

The college that I work for has just started the process of setting up a Power Engineering program out of Kitimat. We don't do that sort of thing unless there's a demand....

• Like 1