Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Justin Trudeau Blasts Canadian Conservatives For Appealing to ‘Putin Apologist’ Tucker Carlson

https://www.mediaite.com/news/justin-trudeau-blasts-canadian-conservatives-for-appealing-to-putin-apologist-tucker-carlson/

I'm still not sure why he was allowed into the country.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Yes, I mean any party. The Kenney appointments you mention are board seats which ultimately have to be adjudicated by the shareholders. I would add that much of the Harper cabinet did the same. 

My original thought was more on the government side whether provincial or federal. I understand that even on the public side that such things are a subject of negotiation. I just think there should be a vesting period before a benefit like that kicks in. Also think that with proper notice it should not exist. 

Yup. The Liberals are by FAR the better option for actual Canadians between the two parties, but let's not kids ourselves that both parties aren't playing the same rigged game that we're all just pawns in.

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I don't know what "reeeeeeeeed" means, but Clark lasted less than a year as PM before getting the boot. JT has been re-elected twice.....

Indeed. In the last ~40 years, Junior doesn't even make the top 3 of worst PM's between Clarke, Harper and Mulroney. 

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup. The Liberals are by FAR the better option for actual Canadians between the two parties, but let's not kids ourselves that both parties aren't playing the same rigged game that we're all just pawns in.

Indeed. In the last ~40 years, Junior doesn't even make the top 3 of worst PM's between Clarke, Harper and Mulroney. 

The game is as rigged as we allow it to be.

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The game is as rigged as we allow it to be.

This is somewhat true. But there's a rather large portion of the population ignorantly and/or indifferently helping it stay/become more rigged. 

I don't know how we fix that.

Edited by aGENT

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This is somewhat true. But there's a rather large portion of the population ignorantly and/or indifferently helping it stay/become more rigged. 

I don't know how we fix that.

you can't fix stupid. 

But we don't really have to, just need a small percentage more folks involved in picking candidates. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

you can't fix stupid. 

But we don't really have to, just need a small percentage more folks involved in picking candidates. 

While better candidates certainly wouldn't hurt, (nor better educated and informed voters) IMO people's buying habits would make a FAR bigger dent in how our world functions and to our daily lives. 

There's a reason the powers that be have done SFA about the growing wage gap. Keep enough people at the margins, without the money to make wiser long term purchasing choices, and you continue the race to the bottom, profits over people, and add more and more people to the margins.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

While better candidates certainly wouldn't hurt, (nor better educated and informed voters) IMO people's buying habits would make a FAR bigger dent in how our world functions and to our daily lives. 

thats true, you can make a big difference in how you spend. 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

There's a reason the powers that be have done SFA about the growing wage gap. Keep enough people at the margins, without the money to make wiser long term purchasing choices, and you continue the race to the bottom, profits over people, and add more and more people to the margins.

profit first is what public companies are designed to do. In fact, your pension relies on it. 

As far as what fair wages is, again thats something that our regulators can enforce. I don't care if someone wins capitalism as long as most people are doing well. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

thats true, you can make a big difference in how you spend. 

Huge. If everyone had the financial ability to only buy less but higher quality products that last longer, from companies that paid their workers fairly and  minimized their impact on the environment etc, etc... We could solve a LOT of our economic and environmental issues. But then you still need to convince people to buy from those companies instead of just buying more cheap crap made in sweat shops, in countries that could care less about their employees, or the environment. It's a tall task.

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

profit first is what public companies are designed to do. In fact, your pension relies on it. 

As far as what fair wages is, again thats something that our regulators can enforce. I don't care if someone wins capitalism as long as most people are doing well. 

Agreed. One of the main reasons I dislike the NDP mantra of "tax the rich". It just either gets passed on to us pleebs, or the rich just leave, taking all their tax dollars they were paying, with them. It's not a solution.

Don't tax the rich, pay the poor (and middle class).People on masse need to demand better pay, either via unions, legislation or other means.

But even if we fix that, we're back to problem #1... Convincing people not to race back to the bottom with their addiction to consumerist, cheap crap.

Edited by aGENT
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Justin Trudeau Blasts Canadian Conservatives For Appealing to ‘Putin Apologist’ Tucker Carlson

https://www.mediaite.com/news/justin-trudeau-blasts-canadian-conservatives-for-appealing-to-putin-apologist-tucker-carlson/

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I'm still not sure why he was allowed into the country.

One of the best lines that came out right after Faux gave his the boot was, "Wow! That's a huge blow to the Kremlin".....

42 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Huge. If everyone had the financial ability to only buy less but higher quality products that last longer, from companies that paid their workers fairly and  minimized their impact on the environment etc, etc... We could solve a LOT of our economic and environmental issues. But then you still need to convince people to buy from those companies instead of just buying more cheap crap made in sweat shops, in countries that could care less about their employees, or the environment. It's a tall task.

Agreed. One of the main reasons I dislike the NDP mantra of "tax the rich". It just either gets passed on to us pleebs, or the rich just leave, taking all their tax dollars they were paying, with them. It's not a solution.

Don't tax the rich, pay the poor (and middle class).People on masse need to demand better pay, either via unions, legislation or other means.

But even if we fix that, we're back to problem #1... Convincing people not to race back to the bottom with their addiction to consumerist, cheap crap.

agreed on all of this. 

Quality is actually the way Canada could raise its GDP. But yeah... I know. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

agreed on all of this. 

Quality is actually the way Canada could raise its GDP. But yeah... I know. 

"But I want more cheap crap I don't need, and more low quality, less healthy food because it's cheaper! And I'm conditioned to value quantity over quality!"

I honestly don't know how we combat that? It's a SIGNIFICANT portion of the population.

It's also similar to the question I asked last page about what we do with people who willingly accept lies that fit/confirm their ideology, over actual facts (that don't).

Between those two (likely at least somewhat overlapping) groups how do we actually make forward progress?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

"But I want more cheap crap I don't need, and more low quality, less healthy food because it's cheaper! And I'm conditioned to value quantity over quality!"

I honestly don't know how we combat that? It's a SIGNIFICANT portion of the population.

It's also similar to the question I asked last page about what we do with people who willingly accept lies that fit/confirm their ideology, over actual facts (that don't).

Between those two (likely at least somewhat overlapping) groups how do we actually make forward progress?

This feels like a fight I always have with my dad. He's always about saving a buck or 2 but at the expense of quality. I believe in saving that buck or 2 by not having to buy items as frequently due to them being higher quality... and this doesn't even take into account the fact that they're nicer items to utilize generally. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

This feels like a fight I always have with my dad. He's always about saving a buck or 2 but at the expense of quality. I believe in saving that buck or 2 by not having to buy items as frequently due to them being higher quality... and this doesn't even take into account the fact that they're nicer items to utilize generally. lol

My mom is CONSTANTLY going on about how she can get so many lbs of chicken at whatever "discount Crap-Mart" store in the US.. Sure mom but you realize those chickens are crammed in to cages in top of eachother, pumped full of hormones and antibiotics, stumbling around with broken legs and open infections and raised by farmer that's barely making money because he's owned by a massive corporation that forces him to buy all his feed etc from them while they pollute the environment...

Never mind the quality or nutrition of that meat.... But yeah, it's cheap 🤦‍♂️

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

My dad was the opposite. I remember back in the days when you needed a snowblower in PG, he refused to buy anything less than a Honda with a 4 stroke motor....

I was like "Jeez dad, why don't you just buy a Bobcat?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

My mom is CONSTANTLY going on about how she can get so many lbs of chicken at whatever "discount Crap-Mart" store in the US.. Sure mom but you realize those chickens are crammed in to cages in top of eachother, pumped full of hormones and antibiotics, stumbling around with broken legs and open infections and raised by farmer that's barely making money because he's owned by a massive corporation that forces him to buy all his feed etc from them while they pollute the environment...

Never mind the quality or nutrition of that meat.... But yeah, it's cheap 🤦‍♂️

At my parent's house, my dad's version of getting a new vacuum cleaner is electrician's tape. The vacuum cleaner becoming progressively harder and harder to use. lol

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

At my parent's house, my dad's version of getting a new vacuum cleaner is electrician's tape. The vacuum cleaner becoming progressively harder and harder to use. lol

Yeah, I think my dad was the exception for sure....

He was a welder by trade, but he came from a generation when you had skills in just about every trade. I still remember the front porch/deck/planter he built after several years of us not even using the front door.

I was absolutely gobsmacked. I had no idea he had such carpentry skills....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, I think my dad was the exception for sure....

He was a welder by trade, but he came from a generation when you had skills in just about every trade. I still remember the front porch/deck/planter he built after several years of us not even using the front door.

I was absolutely gobsmacked. I had no idea he had such carpentry skills....

Don't get me wrong. My dad's a journeyman electrician and built his house from scratch. He's just... cheap when it comes to other things.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yea dunno. The cheapest and best way to eat is to make it yourself. Anyone that says that they don't have time has never heard of a slow cooker.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When Justin Trudeau wins this next election will he move into the longest sitting PM territory? 

Not even close, MacKenzie King had like 22 years as PM