Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I don't think he means it as an insult. I can sometimes see myself fitting the description too: a stanfield shirt to keep warm, my hair pulled together at the back of my Canucks hat with an elastic and a joint hangin out over my salt n pepper beard, resting my feet on a husky chainsaw from my lawnchair by the fire in Youbou on a day trip to see fam. "redneck hippie'' seems accurate.

I'm not either, I have never heard that term before.

7 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I don't think he means it as an insult. I can sometimes see myself fitting the description too: a stanfield shirt to keep warm, my hair pulled together at the back of my Canucks hat with an elastic and a joint hangin out over my salt n pepper beard, resting my feet on a husky chainsaw from my lawnchair by the fire in Youbou on a day trip to see fam. "redneck hippie'' seems accurate.

my choice would have been a Stihl though!

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

11 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Please identify what this actually means. I was a logger back in the 70's, had long hair, enjoyed the odd toke. Do you mean this? I was far from a redneck, lol!

There's a decent number of nature loving, backwoods, "live natural", hunting, fishing rednecks on the island that also don't subscribe to the right wing, regressive and victimhood agenda.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

There's a decent number of nature loving, backwoods, "live natural", hunting, fishing rednecks on the island that also don't subscribe to the right wing, regressive and victimhood agenda.

in the deep valley the red and black lumberjack is almost like a gang sign all its own, hahaha. 

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

@Johngould21 OP gets it. This is it exactly. 

• Upvote 1

An analysis piece that raises some interesting points by Jimmy's favourite "fucking hippies" site, The Tyee:

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2024/01/29/Get-Ready-Prime-Minister-Pierre-Poilievre/

Excerpt:

But in politics, if you don’t clearly define yourself, your opponents will happily do it for you — especially when they sense you may be about to win power.

After a few decidedly passive and even lazy years, the Liberals and the NDP are starting to fight back. What you get with Poilievre, they say, is the cut-and-gut approach to government. And they are putting up the Conservative leader’s voting record as proof.

Poilievre voted against the Canada Child Benefit, the Canada Dental Benefit and $10-a-day child care. In a recent tweet, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh reminded Canadians that the Conservative leader also voted against a national school food program, Bill C-322.

“Pierre Poilievre and his Conservatives refuse to stand up to grocery CEOs, while they block help for kids that go to school hungry.”

And so the counter-narrative begins — the accusation against the Conservatives of being callous and without compassion as the answer to the Tory charge of Liberal/NDP profligacy and incompetence.

Given the inherent volatility of those charges and countercharges, what Poilievre does as leader from now on takes on critical importance. Even with a commanding lead in the polls, unforced errors by the leader could change the equation.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

An analysis piece that raises some interesting points by Jimmy's favourite "fucking hippies" site, The Tyee:

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2024/01/29/Get-Ready-Prime-Minister-Pierre-Poilievre/

Excerpt:

Okay, the fact that they're using words such as "lazy"... those are more opinion words rather than fact reporting. That aside, I see an issue not really addressed in what seems to be this opinion piece: the PPC.

While the PPC doesn't have have seats whatsoever, the people voting for the PPC would likely otherwise would be voting Conservative. So long as the PPC exists, they will take little pieces out of the Conservatives' pie. Tight ridings especially, where the PPC only needs to take a sliver of the votes to change who's in the lead, could be harmful to the Conservatives.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Okay, the fact that they're using words such as "lazy"... those are more opinion words rather than fact reporting. That aside, I see an issue not really addressed in what seems to be this opinion piece: the PPC.

While the PPC doesn't have have seats whatsoever, the people voting for the PPC would likely otherwise would be voting Conservative. So long as the PPC exists, they will take little pieces out of the Conservatives' pie. Tight ridings especially, where the PPC only needs to take a sliver of the votes to change who's in the lead, could be harmful to the Conservatives.

Generally speaking, analytical pieces usually are shaded somewhat in opinion (because analysis is often not 100% objective, people bring their biases into their analysis whether they do so consciously or not).  So I'm not surprised with your assessment.

As for the PPC, the real question is: how many dyed-blue Conservatives (and conservatives) will take the PPC seriously enough to migrate their vote to them.  Especially when they can smell blood in the water after all these years of being second-best at the ballot box.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Generally speaking, analytical pieces usually are shaded somewhat in opinion (because analysis is often not 100% objective, people bring their biases into their analysis whether they do so consciously or not).  So I'm not surprised with your assessment.

As for the PPC, the real question is: how many dyed-blue Conservatives (and conservatives) will take the PPC seriously enough to migrate their vote to them.  Especially when they can smell blood in the water after all these years of being second-best at the ballot box.

Is was enough for almost 5% of the vote Canada-wide in 2021. In some Alberta ridings, it went up to 10 or 12%. That's not nothing. It also means those percentages will be higher if more "dyed-blue Conservatives" jump ship.

Edited by The Lock

@6of1_halfdozenofother

Here's a couple of examples from 2021 even:

Edmonton Griesback: NDP: 40.5%, Conservatives: 37.1%, PPC: 6.1%

Edmonton Centre: LIberals: 33.7%, Conservatives: 32.4%, PPC: 4.3%

In both those ridings, the votes to the PPC outweigh the difference between the Conservatives and who won the riding, meaning had the PPC not existed, the Conservatives likely would have won those ridings.

If more migrate over to the PPC, it'll just get worse for them.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, The Lock said:

@6of1_halfdozenofother

Here's a couple of examples from 2021 even:

Edmonton Griesback: NDP: 40.5%, Conservatives: 37.1%, PPC: 6.1%

Edmonton Centre: LIberals: 33.7%, Conservatives: 32.4%, PPC: 4.3%

In both those ridings, the votes to the PPC outweigh the difference between the Conservatives and who won the riding, meaning had the PPC not existed, the Conservatives likely would have won those ridings.

If more migrate over to the PPC, it'll just get worse for them.

PPC is largely libertarian with a dose of populism. I suspect support would more likely leave the PPC and go to the CPC. 

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

PPC is largely libertarian with a dose of populism. I suspect support would more likely leave the PPC and go to the CPC. 

Just depends really. Realistically, it could go both directions. It might even just stay the same.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Just depends really. Realistically, it could go both directions. It might even just stay the same.

285 K in 2019 to 840 K in 2021. Membership is now suggested at + 1 million. One could easily assume that the PPC will continue to grow. What happens if PP offers Bernier a cabinet post? 

19 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

285 K in 2019 to 840 K in 2021. Membership is now suggested at + 1 million. One could easily assume that the PPC will continue to grow. What happens if PP offers Bernier a cabinet post? 

Seems like a big if to me and you can really say "what if" with a lot of things. There's a lot of factors at play.

For example, what if Bernier denied that cabinet post? I could only imagine that would fire up his base even more.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/public-support-liberals-grows-party-154459401.html

"The Federal Liberals are gaining some ground but continue to trail the opposition Conservatives in terms of public support, according to exclusive Ipsos polling for Global News."

--------------------------------------

half minute vid at link.

thats what happens when people really look at Skippy.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1