Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

15 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Nice time chart!

I think I just got lucky, but we had a Strata Land, but stand alone house in Sooke, a 'bedroom community' of Victoria when Covid hit. We have wanted for a long time to return home to Cowichan Station area where I lived in my high school years, and near family and friends et cetera. Covid had an incredible number of city folks trying desperately to spread out and 'socially distance' into the more rural areas. Our home on strata land pretty much doubled in value from Jan 2020 till we sold it in August 2022. We literally got more than double what we paid for it in 2010, and the vast majority of that value was upped during the covid rush to leave the cities. Our buyers were from inner city Victoria for instance. 

We had been looking up and down the island for over two years when the new property, an acre in Cowichan Station 2 blocks from where we were married with three beds and a bathroom and a barn and green house were about 75k more than what we sold our strata 3bedroom place for. We ditched 500 a month in strata fees, no more gas bill, and no more city water bill and only added 75k to our mortgage. I prepaid 70k of that down already in about 18 months at the new place. We have already put in over 50 k in renovations and the place we got for 750ish is now a market value of over 900k with the new windows, perimeter drain, heat pump and hot water on demand, full Paige wire fencing with thick pressure treated posts and an 8 foot gate to keep our corgi's safe while they enjoy their acre of land to romp on. Our total monthly billing for housing is DOWN vs the strata place. 

just my little anecdote to show that a simple middle class couple can find ways to do well in the housing market. Home Owners are generally thrilled with their housing values, it is first time home buyers who are suffering, and yet houses are selling every month all around us, so someone is buying them and the Liberal Government of Canada has stopped foreign buyers from snatching them up for a 'pause' in foreign home buyers, which will help our citizens looking to make that first home purchase. 

I am thrilled with how we made out and I have two nephews who either bought or built their own homes in the last two years as well as first time home buyers. 
I know I am fortunate, but I am curious, of those angry about home prices now: were they going to buy a house from 2020 to 2023 before Covid happened or were they going to be renters for the long term anyway but now have a vehicle to mad about it with the constant criticisms about house prices? I am not sure really. My immediate circle has not been affected with two of my sisters kids becoming first time home owners during the 'high price' period and with me making out like a bandit leaving strata for my own acre...it seems okay from where I am sitting. I suspect those with a less rosy view likely wouldn't have been buying a house from 2020 till now anyhow, even if prices were stagnant all these covid years. I just don't know. 

If you preface that chart against a chart of interest rates v household/personal debt you can see a very interesting mirror.

All of the personal debt, affordability issues in Canada effectively stem from about 2005 onwards where for more than a decade, that chart shows clearly that people were living on borrowed money.  Remarkable though how it is still the fault of one single person int he eyes of some

https://businesscouncilab.com/insights-category/economic-insights/weekly-econ-minute-debt-and-income/

image.png.23179febf0857d114640f24f6e8a5fe6.png

image.png.8d71fbdc451425fffc104cff593d260f.png

image.png.2312d904339c74f833318953e3a498a3.png

Edited by Warhippy
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If you preface that chart against a chart of interest rates v household/personal debt you can see a very interesting mirror.

All of the personal debt, affordability issues in Canada effectively stem from about 2005 onwards where for more than a decade, that chart shows clearly that people were living on borrowed money.  Remarkable though how it is still the fault of one single person int he eyes of some

https://businesscouncilab.com/insights-category/economic-insights/weekly-econ-minute-debt-and-income/

image.png.23179febf0857d114640f24f6e8a5fe6.png

image.png.8d71fbdc451425fffc104cff593d260f.png

image.png.2312d904339c74f833318953e3a498a3.png

I probably shouldn't but I, like everyone else, use my own situation as my canary in the coal mine, hahaha. I was under water for the Harper years, more debt every year and less to show for it. I only have 12k in debt right now, but my chequing account has 17k in it, so that is moot really, but the ONLY time in my life I have been debt free has been under this Liberal Government, with some debt free years under the Cretien Gov, but I was younger then with less on my plate all around. So for me, in my lifetime: the Trudeau years have been my personal best years, financially. I don't know about the nation at large, but it would seem our economy is doing the best of my life under Liberal governance, My own personal situation also the best under Liberal Governance and those I love and care about are all doing well under this Trudeau Government. Even my conservative brother in law doubled his farm holdings in the last 5 years and is better off than at any other point in his life. 

So a veteran, me, and a farmer, my brother in law: living our best lives under Trudeau. Who would believe that in a million years just listening to Pierre Poilievre?

• Cheers 1

Also of note: Albertans are the best off of the last fifty years RIGHT NOW. lol... the rage farming conservative members of parliament notwithstanding: Canada is doing incredibly well. Heck even Pierre Poilievre, whose only job ever has been in government: he is worth over 5 million dollars right NOW, under these Liberal economic times. 
I mean if Pierre Poilievre can be worth 5 million after being raised by poor teachers and having no other job than being a Member of Parliament: I would say that in itself is proof the Liberals can manage the economy well enough for even the simplest dolt to become rich. 

• ThereItIs 2

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Trudeau on the otherhand has had 8 - 9 years of government and is not doing well. The proof is on the streets of the country. Look around. 

Proof of what though? We had a global pandemic along with the massive supply chain and staffing etc issues. Which has then been exacerbated by the invasion of Ukraine, Isreal, increasing climate change extreme weather events (floods, droughts, forest fires etc), along with clear corporate profiteering. And on top of ALL of that, we were always going to have a massive aging population demographic issue that was always going to wreak havoc on affordability, labour shortages (including the much maligned health care) etc. 

How much of that fall's on Trudeau's desk? Would we have been better off under a Conservative government with all those things happening? I sure don't think so. And despite all of those external issues, we're frequently ranked at/near the top of most post-pandemic assessments for things like inflation recovery, or the happiness thing posted yesterday.

One thing you can thank both the Trudeau and Harper governments for, is not doing anything (until recently anyway) on housing affordability/public housing funding. A problem three decades old (and in the grand scheme, also a bigger provincial/municipal issue than a Federal one). But this was NEVER going to be a good time for affordability or things like labour (including health care) shortages. Regardless of which party was sitting in the big chair.

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Not just that, don't forget how "good" they are at foreign affairs and deal making.  :picard:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-china-investment-treaty-to-come-into-force-oct-1-1.2764075

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/5-things-to-know-about-the-canada-china-investment-treaty-1.1183343

As long as it gets Canadian oil to tidewater, who cares if we become a financial serf to the prc, amirite?  :picard:

Canadian Wheat board says hi too.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Proof of what though? We had a global pandemic along with the massive supply chain and staffing etc issues. Which has then been exacerbated by the invasion of Ukraine, Isreal, increasing climate change extreme weather events (floods, droughts, forest fires etc), along with clear corporate profiteering. And on top of ALL of that, we were always going to have a massive aging population demographic issue that was always going to wreak havoc on affordability, labour shortages (including the much maligned health care) etc. 

How much of that fall's on Trudeau's desk? Would we have been better off under a Conservative government with all those things happening? I sure don't think so. And despite all of those external issues, we're frequently ranked at/near the top of most post-pandemic assessments for things like inflation recovery, or the happiness thing posted yesterday.

One thing you can thank both the Trudeau and Harper governments for, is not doing anything (until recently anyway) on housing affordability/public housing funding. A problem three decades old (and in the grand scheme, also a bigger provincial/municipal issue than a Federal one). But this was NEVER going to be a good time for affordability or things like labour (including health care) shortages. Regardless of which party was sitting in the big chair.

Canadian Wheat board says hi too.

For all its flaws. I can't see the conservatives doing a program like CERB to help regular people through the pandemic rather than bailing out the megacorps only.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Don't worry, the CON solution is going to be tax cuts that the majority of the benefits will go to the elites.  

But hey, we'll have $50 bucks in our pockets to spend on a carrot.

Dangling "wokeness",  pronouns and trans kids in bathrooms is cheaper than the $50.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

For all its flaws. I can't see the conservatives doing a program like CERB to help regular people through the pandemic rather than bailing out the megacorps only.

I mean they did (overall) vote in favour for it, but it's certainly possible things would have been different if they had more power. I also doubt they would have done any better on corporate profiteering either. Like where do people think they would they have performed better given those externalities? Most of the right wing provinces (and other right wing countires) performed worse during and after the pandemic and are now doing things like under funding (and undermining) health care to push for privatization. And people think that would be "better"?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Don't worry, the CON solution is going to be tax cuts that the majority of the benefits will go to the elites.  

But hey, we'll have $50 bucks in our pockets to spend on a carrot.

and Tax Cuts, along with trying to get a balanced budget is just code for cutting social programs. Those below 50k a year household income: get ready to move into a storage locker under Poilievre.

Speaking of: some folks talking about the truth of "Trudeau's time" being seen in the streets: Mostly every province has an NDP or CON government right now. Those provinces are the ones in charge of health care/addiction care/mental health care AND in charge of housing for those streets you are talking about. Just sayin.

16 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

and Tax Cuts, along with trying to get a balanced budget is just code for cutting social programs. Those below 50k a year household income: get ready to move into a storage locker under Poilievre.

Speaking of: some folks talking about the truth of "Trudeau's time" being seen in the streets: Mostly every province has an NDP or CON government right now. Those provinces are the ones in charge of health care/addiction care/mental health care AND in charge of housing for those streets you are talking about. Just sayin.

And for the record, I'm pretty happy with how the BC NDP are running the Province FWIW.

• Cheers 1

Since there isn't a thread on inter-provincial politics in Canada, does this count as Canadian politics?

‘Absurd’: Alberta sends warning letter to B.C. winemakers

Amy_Judd_Web1.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&wWH_GLOBAL_BC__0008_CASSIDY_MOSCONI.png?w
By Amy Judd & Cassidy Mosconi  Global News
Posted January 30, 2024 8:51 am
 Updated January 30, 2024 2:28 pm

The Okanagan wine industry has been facing many challenges recently — among them wildfires and cold snaps — but the latest challenge is coming from the Alberta government.

A letter obtained by Global News from the Alberta government’s Gaming, Liquor and Cannabis Commission (AGLC), states that B.C. wine producers need to cease shipping wine directly to consumers across provincial borders.

“To maintain the integrity of Alberta’s liquor model and to protect the interests of Alberta retailers and liquor agents, AGLC will not accept any inbound shipments” from any suppliers or manufacturers providing direct-to-consumer shipping of liquor products to Alberta residents, the letter explains.

If B.C. wineries do not comply, the AGLC states it will refuse shipments for their products to be stocked in Alberta’s restaurants and liquor stores.

John Skinner, the proprietor of Painted Rock Estate Winery in the Okanagan, was one of the wineries that received the letter.

But he said the business has been battling challenges for the past few years already and the timing of the letter from the AGLC is “horrific.”

“Up until probably the first week of January, it was, season as normal,” he said. “And then all of a sudden, between Jan. 11 and Jan. 15, we had probably the coldest temperatures we’ve experienced in a very, very long time.

“In December 2022, we had a very severe cold snap that probably reduced our 2023 industry production by 55 or 60 per cent. We’ve had a more severe cold snap between Jan. 11 and Jan. 15, and it’s profoundly affecting.”

Skinner said staff checked 1,600 buds at Painted Rock about over 90 per cent of the primary and secondary buds were dead.

He said the biggest concern is plant survival.

“I’m so proud of the progress that we’ve made and now we’ve just hit a really big road bump,” Skinner added.

“And I hope that everybody considers helping small wineries. I’m not talking about Painted Rock. I’m talking about the fabric of our industry because we need these people to be viable.”

Skinner said the industry will need help from a government level because many wineries will need to replant crops and that is very expensive — around $50,000 an acre.

So the letter, he said, has just struck them when they are already down.

“This is this prohibition type of mentality that is still tolerated by our Alberta neighbours. You know, we have such a good community of fabulous wine club members that live in Alberta. We are incredibly dependent upon them. We’re proud Canadians. I love to ship wine to our neighbours. I really wish we could also have access to the AGLC and be able to supply our wines to the restaurants and our wines to the wine stores and stop this protectionist business because we’re all Canadians.”

Skinner said, “This is absurd.”

“We’re the only country on the planet that has this kind of inter-provincial regulation,” he said. “Every other country you can ship within your national borders.”

In a statement to Global News, the AGLC said their model “levels the playing field.”

It called the move an “opportunity for B.C. wineries to market their product to Albertans … through legal channels.”

The organization said suppliers from other provinces that offer direct-to-consumer shipping are in contravention of provincial legislation, bypassing Alberta’s private liquor retailers and liquor agencies.

“With no oversight, AGLC cannot ensure that these products are being sold only to adults over the age of 18.

“To maintain the integrity of Alberta’s liquor model and protect the interests of Alberta retailers and liquor agencies, AGLC has notified these suppliers that all shipments to Alberta must cease effective immediately. Once a supplier agrees in writing to immediately stop direct-to-consumer sales to Albertans, AGLC will resume accepting shipments and continue to support the distribution of these products through legal channels.”

Michael Alexander, winemaker and viticulturist at Summerhill Pyramid Winery, told Global News the cold snap also affected its crop.

“We’re going to find that this year is going to be a smaller harvest, smaller crop as a result,” he said.

“But most of us are hoping, at this point, that we don’t lose everything and that the vines survive. So far, things are looking good. So it’ll be a small year, but we’ll still have a vineyard, which is good news in the grand scheme of things.”

Alexander said there will be less wine and less premium wine as a result.

Summerhill has also been receiving lots of support from Alberta wine drinkers, he added, and any disruption in being able to sell its wine direct-to-consumers is a big blow to the company’s bottom line.

“It feels like we’ve had a few rough years. And, this is one more thing to add to the list, but, we will find a way to get wine to Alberta,” Alexander said.

“I think there’s an image that wineries are these toys owned by really rich people. And the reality is that it’s mostly mom-and-pop operations. It’s farmers trying to make a living, to keep food on the table and roofs over their heads.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/10258865/alberta-warning-letter-bc-wineries/

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

And for the record, I'm pretty happy with how the BC NDP are running the Province FWIW.

Same, I will be voting NDP provincially in the next endeavour. Frankly it is a personal goal to remove Sonia Furstenau from her seat in my riding. She is the leader of the Green Party and is completely invisible, and has been completely invisible in this riding since I got here in August 2022. 

From what I know from a good friend, who is currently Alistair MacGregor's secretary in Ottawa, we will have a fantastic provincial NDP candidate here in this riding (Cowichan Valley). A person I could 100% campaign for with zero hesitation. I am not at liberty to discuss that at this time though, I am hopeful that together we will unseat the Green Party here in this traditionally NDP and Union stronghold. 

For those interested in the new boundaries for the BC Provincial electoral Districts: 
https://bcebc.ca/final-report/

about page 50 talks about Vancouver Island Districts, notably:

Cowichan Valley This riding includes Duncan, Lake Cowichan and North Cowichan, as well as Thetis, Penelakut and Valdez Islands. The riding’s northern boundary follows Cowichan Valley Regional District Electoral Area G, and its southern boundary follows Electoral Areas D, E and F. Its eastern boundary extends to the Strait of Georgia, and its western boundary follows Gordon River and forest service roads around Lake Cowichan.

Juan de Fuca-Malahat This riding includes communities along the Strait of Juan de Fuca and north of the Malahat Pass: Metchosin, Sooke, Port Renfrew, Shawnigan Lake, Mill Bay and Cobble Hill. Its district boundaries run along the Strait of Juan de Fuca in the south and follow the municipal borders of Colwood, Langford, and Highlands in the east. In the north, they follow the boundaries of Cowichan Valley Regional District Electoral Area B.

Ladysmith-Oceanside Ladysmith-Oceanside includes Saltair, Ladysmith, Cassidy, Nanoose Bay, Parksville, Qualicum Beach and Lasqueti Island. Its northern boundaries follow the Island Highway and the Regional District of Nanaimo Electoral Area G. The riding extends south along the borders of Ladysmith and Cowichan Valley Regional District Electoral Area H.

Anyone outside these three sample ridings can easily find theirs in teh linked document..

8 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Or we could just say "fuck them" and continue to ship direct to Albertan customers.  :hurhur:

I think you are on to something there. 

Interprovincial trade barriers are stupid tho. Not sure how we get all of our premiers together to get them to remove them.

10 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Same, I will be voting NDP provincially in the next endeavour. Frankly it is a personal goal to remove Sonia Furstenau from her seat in my riding. She is the leader of the Green Party and is completely invisible, and has been completely invisible in this riding since I got here in August 2022. 

what was she supposed to do though? Weaver couldn't bend over for Horgan fast enough, and the NDP held a snap unneeded election during the pandemic. She never had a chance. 

10 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

From what I know from a good friend, who is currently Alistair MacGregor's secretary in Ottawa, we will have a fantastic provincial NDP candidate here in this riding (Cowichan Valley). A person I could 100% campaign for with zero hesitation. I am not at liberty to discuss that at this time though, I am hopeful that together we will unseat the Green Party here in this traditionally NDP and Union stronghold. 

I find this a shame. We need some kind of voice on the left other than the NDP imo to drive innovation, but that went out the window with the pathetic Mr. Weaver I guess. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I think you are on to something there. 

Interprovincial trade barriers are stupid tho. Not sure how we get all of our premiers together to get them to remove them.

I mean, think about it - the only reason why the AB government is crying foul is because they're potentially losing tax revenues that they could be receiving if the bottles and cases went through their hands.  The only leverage they have is that they can stop its distribution at liquor stores and restaurants.  Trade one for the other, and our wineries might not necessarily be worse off by not going through the government's scheme, especially if word of mouth is as powerful as it can be.

They're all about less government, right?  Laissez-faire economics, right?  They shouldn't have a problem with our wineries coming up with their own method of reducing red tape.  :hurhur:

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

what was she supposed to do though? Weaver couldn't bend over for Horgan fast enough, and the NDP held a snap unneeded election during the pandemic. She never had a chance. 

I find this a shame. We need some kind of voice on the left other than the NDP imo to drive innovation, but that went out the window with the pathetic Mr. Weaver I guess. 

it is almost certain the Green Party will keep its seat on the Saanich Peninsula, both federally and provincially, but I don't think they are viable in either provincial or federal locations outside of Liz May's parachute home in Sidney, just north of Victoria. If you recall, maybe it is not well known though, the other Federal Green seat is in a riding where the Liberal Candidate was going to win but stepped out of the race after the election was called. The Big Red Machine then moved to help elect that green member as we didn't have a federal Liberal in the riding at that point. I believe that riding (from memory somewhere near Hamilton) will go back to Liberal Red in the next federal Election. The Green party lost my sympathy when they raged against their bald, black, jewish elected leader and forced her out of the old rich white folks party. Believe it or not, I have voted green in the past, I would not vote Green at all in any future I can see right now. Federally, the Liberals have a former Greenpeace leader as the minister of Environment, and Provincially the NDP is already doing a decent job of balancing the environmental needs with the needs of the economy. The green party being a one issue party are now useless to me. 

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I mean, think about it - the only reason why the AB government is crying foul is because they're potentially losing tax revenues that they could be receiving if the bottles and cases went through their hands.  The only leverage they have is that they can stop its distribution at liquor stores and restaurants.  Trade one for the other, and our wineries might not necessarily be worse off by not going through the government's scheme, especially if word of mouth is as powerful as it can be.

They're all about less government, right?  Laissez-faire economics, right?  They shouldn't have a problem with our wineries coming up with their own method of reducing red tape.  :hurhur:

BC wine:

Red Wine Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Alberta wine:

Trailer Park Boys Drink GIF

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

BC wine:

Red Wine Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Alberta wine:

Trailer Park Boys Drink GIF

I drink Chilean reds, often Pinot Noir and they are cheaper right from the beer and wine a block away than any BC or Albertan wines. I have no idea why, lol. 

18 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Since there isn't a thread on inter-provincial politics in Canada, does this count as Canadian politics?

https://globalnews.ca/news/10258865/alberta-warning-letter-bc-wineries/

Albertans will have to drink local wines....

I hear the Chateau d' Okotoks and the Coq du Vegreville are very nice this year.....

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I drink Chilean reds, often Pinot Noir and they are cheaper right from the beer and wine a block away than any BC or Albertan wines. I have no idea why, lol. 

there are some good ones for sure. I don't really drink enough anymore to keep much around, but the BC wineries I really liked were Road 13 and See Ya Later Ranch.