Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

12 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

it is almost certain the Green Party will keep its seat on the Saanich Peninsula, both federally and provincially, but I don't think they are viable in either provincial or federal locations outside of Liz May's parachute home in Sidney, just north of Victoria. If you recall, maybe it is not well known though, the other Federal Green seat is in a riding where the Liberal Candidate was going to win but stepped out of the race after the election was called. The Big Red Machine then moved to help elect that green member as we didn't have a federal Liberal in the riding at that point. I believe that riding (from memory somewhere near Hamilton) will go back to Liberal Red in the next federal Election. The Green party lost my sympathy when they raged against their bald, black, jewish elected leader and forced her out of the old rich white folks party. Believe it or not, I have voted green in the past, I would not vote Green at all in any future I can see right now. Federally, the Liberals have a former Greenpeace leader as the minister of Environment, and Provincially the NDP is already doing a decent job of balancing the environmental needs with the needs of the economy. The green party being a one issue party are now useless to me. 

Yea the fed greens are a different story for me, can't really go there for any kind of support.

I think I'm still a bit miffed at Weaver. He really had Horgan by the proverbial balls and could have forced in a lot more green tech initiatives had he had a spine. There was literally no pressure on him to rush a deal with Horgan, none. 

Ah well. I may not actually bother to vote next provincial election tbh. A first for me. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Not sure what kind of wine you normally drink, but that "BC" stuff looks suspiciously like brandy/cognac, while that "Alberta" stuff looks (appropriately) like rye whiskey.  :hurhur:

admittedly I didn't try too hard on the gifs. Was going for a feeling. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Same, I will be voting NDP provincially in the next endeavour. Frankly it is a personal goal to remove Sonia Furstenau from her seat in my riding. She is the leader of the Green Party and is completely invisible, and has been completely invisible in this riding since I got here in August 2022. 

From what I know from a good friend, who is currently Alistair MacGregor's secretary in Ottawa, we will have a fantastic provincial NDP candidate here in this riding (Cowichan Valley). A person I could 100% campaign for with zero hesitation. I am not at liberty to discuss that at this time though, I am hopeful that together we will unseat the Green Party here in this traditionally NDP and Union stronghold. 

For those interested in the new boundaries for the BC Provincial electoral Districts: 
https://bcebc.ca/final-report/

about page 50 talks about Vancouver Island Districts, notably:

Anyone outside these three sample ridings can easily find theirs in teh linked document..

Yeah....I'm concerned about being included in "Oceanside". There's an awful lot of your typical rich, white, retired conservatives in Parksville/Qualicum....😒

Just now, Bob Long said:

Well, I'll give you that - cognac is definitely more refined and higher end than most rye whiskey... :hurhur:

(gotta go, I'm about to get flamed by the rye drinkers here... 🚀 )

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah....I'm concerned about being included in "Oceanside". There's an awful lot of your typical rich, white, retired conservatives in Parksville/Qualicum....😒

I would imagine that a lot of local Parksville businesses call them "customers"?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

there are some good ones for sure. I don't really drink enough anymore to keep much around, but the BC wineries I really liked were Road 13 and See Ya Later Ranch. 

My favourite BC red is the Black Sage Cab Franc...yum 😋

high-res_png-black_sage_vineyard_2020_li

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

there are some good ones for sure. I don't really drink enough anymore to keep much around, but the BC wineries I really liked were Road 13 and See Ya Later Ranch. 

Burrowing Owl is good as well.

I've also heard good things about Hester Creek and Blasted Church, but I've never tried them myself.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Burrowing Owl is good as well.

yep been there a few times, thats a really nice spot. 

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I've also heard good things about Hester Creek and Blasted Church, but I've never tried them myself.

I've tried Hester, all I seem to remember is something tasted too much like tomato vine, but I might have been on one of those booze buses so not sure. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Not sure what kind of wine you normally drink, but that "BC" stuff looks suspiciously like brandy/cognac, while that "Alberta" stuff looks (appropriately) like rye whiskey.  :hurhur:

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'll allow it....

Any excuse to get Bo-Bandy and Mr. Lahey in a thread is fair game, IMO....

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I included that snippet with you in mind. It may be the biggest change on the island, i mean aside from adding a new riding i think in Swan Lake area...but the biggest demographic change will be Ladysmith-Oceanside. 

56,308 population of the new riding boundaries over 2127 square km's

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

haven't tried that one - will keep an eye out 

Goes on sale....usually 2-3 times a year, $6 off a bottle. I recommend buying a few when it does 😉 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I drink Chilean reds, often Pinot Noir and they are cheaper right from the beer and wine a block away than any BC or Albertan wines. I have no idea why, lol. 

I normally prefer Argentinian from that part of the world. Some nice Malbecs and Cab Savs... Hard to beat California for Cab Savs though. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Well, brandy technically is a kind of wine . 'burnt wine'

57 minutes ago, aGENT said:

What a lovely area...

😎

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Well, brandy technically is a kind of wine . 'burnt wine'

What a lovely area...

😎

A small smattering of rich, old, white(?) progressives there too apparently 😜

• ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Keep reading on the health care. You're an angry little elf. 

And what about education?  Are you going to take back what you said for being a complete liar?  Or are you just gonna try and cherrypick?

Answer the question.  Who the fuck is in charge of education in this country?

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Says the rich old whitey 

My therapists kid is following the street taco guys kid in Puerto Vallarta directly into a very expensive school...with the hours I have paid for talking about my sincere desire to not be a cranky old white guy for the next 35ish years. Taco guy got rich on my honeymoon and return trips from parking his cart directly outside my preferred hotels lobby. Hehe.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

My therapists kid is following the street taco guys kid in Puerto Vallarta directly into a very expensive school...with the hours I have paid for talking about my sincere desire to not be a cranky old white guy for the next 35ish years. Taco guy got rich on my honeymoon and return trips from parking his cart directly outside my preferred hotels lobby. Hehe.

It's coming for us all. It's why I don't have a lawn, id be yelling at kids right now if I had one.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gurn said:

Wasn't there an issue with B.C. wine and Alberta, discussed on the old site?🤔

I wouldn't know, I'm permabanned from there now.  :classic_ninja:

1 hour ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

No wine unless they got their little pipe pipe, iirc

There was also another one I think about Terry David Mulligan trying to demonstrate how ridiculous the inter-provincial ban on alcohol carriage by private citizen was too, I think.

• Cheers 1