Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

On 1/28/2024 at 11:54 AM, aGENT said:

The role of things like the carbon tax should be to influence buying habits to achieve goals. Whether that be too support Canadian industry/business over foreign, and/or to even the playing field on the costs of renewables vs carbon intensive industries/products. Ideally those goals overlap.

Well that's what it is for sure, an ever increasing stick to drive people towards green energy. The problem (imo) is that they're fine placing cost to average Canadians secondary in the middle of an affordability crisis.

Nvm seeing things like LA asking people to not charge their cars amidst weather events (after already putting in place a plan to outlaw gasoline vehicles).

You can only ask so much more of people who are already struggling before it caves in on you.

On 1/28/2024 at 11:34 AM, bishopshodan said:

I'm a bit surprised at the bleak outlook you paint for the NDP. I feel there are many that cant vote Lib again, as they are tired of JT, however would never vote Con. But I know you have a lot of experience and smarts about it, so I am listening.

What metrics have you seen that show young voters getting behind the Cons, as you mentioned in your other post?

I ask because I saw a map from one of the US elections that showed gen Z voting blue in every state. It lead me to believe that the youth are leaning left....but is that not so?

On 1/28/2024 at 11:19 AM, Optimist Prime said:

^ thinking about that post of mine above: I wonder what result would be the end of Mr Dhaliwal's term as head of the NDP federally? I mean Singh. Not sure why he changed his name for politics, but I suspect it is cuz a Dhaliwal isn't likely to be elected in Vancouver again anytime soon. 

Currently the NDP has 25 seats, but what if they lose one in Alberta, one in Manitoba, 2 in BC and 3 in Ontario, maybe even Nunavut?

coming back from the next election with less than current seats or even below 20 seats, would that be the end of Mr Singh?
Worst case scenario although I think it highly unlikely would be to have less than 12 seats and not even reach official party status in the House. 

The irrelevant Greens know how powerless that is. Surely a disastrous result will lead to a leadership change for the NDP, but I am really curious if there are no new seats for them, do the long knives come out for their leader?

Singh being removed as leader would be the best thing that could happen to the NDP imo.

At a time when people in Canada are craving an alternative, the NDP has effectively removed themselves as an alternative voluntarily.

Which they did it by jumping on the Liberals ship, AND doing so when - or not long before - the Liberals ship starting taking on major water. They are a coalition & as such both represent the status quo. The NDP is better to flush this era of their party asap. 

• Cheers 1

On 1/29/2024 at 11:03 AM, Boudrias said:

PPC is largely libertarian with a dose of populism. I suspect support would more likely leave the PPC and go to the CPC. 

On 1/29/2024 at 11:06 AM, The Lock said:

Just depends really. Realistically, it could go both directions. It might even just stay the same.

On 1/29/2024 at 11:12 AM, Boudrias said:

285 K in 2019 to 840 K in 2021. Membership is now suggested at + 1 million. One could easily assume that the PPC will continue to grow. What happens if PP offers Bernier a cabinet post? 

The PPC's policy's are largely libertarian, but there is alot of baggage with them & the loud stuff really matters.

For the forseeable future I think they are a limited party that will just continue eating a chunk out of the CPC. I'd say its more likely alot of their people leave them to die & go to the CPC than it is they make real waves.

When Bernier left the CPC he said; "I have come to realize over the past year that this party is too intellectually and morally corrupt to be reformed,". And I think he was correct at the time. I've thought for awhile that a pro-liberty message was the future of the conservative party, but they preferred trying to be the left wingers 3rd choice, and its hurt them the last 2 elections imo. Unfortunately for Bernier I'd say he embraced alot of the baggage his party has taken on & they lost the curiosity factor very quickly.

Bernier vs Scheer for the CPC leadership was an interesting moment in time that ended in a narrow margin. I wonder how things might've changed had it gone the other way. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Albertans will have to drink local wines....

I hear the Chateau d' Okotoks and the Coq du Vegreville are very nice this year.....

Credit to Monty Python -

“Chateau d’Okotoks is not a drinking wine, it’s a wine for hand to hand combat.”

“Coq du Vegreville from grapes specially grown for those keen on regurgitation and has the bouquet of an aborigine’s armpit.”

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

On 1/29/2024 at 1:50 PM, Spur1 said:

Seems to me the only thing tearing the country apart is the fossils in control of Alberta and Saskatchewan. What many in the anti crowd don’t understand is that the majority of Canadians want action on climate change and plastic pollution. 

When I read posts like this (not saying your opinion is at all invalid) I wonder why people with your perspective & their perspective continue to happily share a country together.

On 1/29/2024 at 6:49 PM, the destroyer of worlds said:

There is conveniently a few things missing from this. 

Nationalization of the oil meant that a lot of the people with knowledge of their oil industry left.  Their oil isn't that great in quality, and that brain drain affected their ability to get value.  Strike one.

Add to that the collapse in oil prices around 2014.  Strike 2

Then, add sanctions that severely limit who they can sell their oil to.  Strike 3

Also missing is the US meddling in their politics by propping up opposition groups and leaders.  

So it is hardly all due to them adopting progressive policies.  

Good points - things are never so simple - but tbf this is a pretty major one, no?

Edited by Smashian Kassian

10 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

When I read posts like this (not saying your opinion is at all invalid) I wonder why people with your perspective & their perspective continue to happily share a country together.

Good points - things are never so simple - but tbf this is a pretty major one, no?

The answer is simple. Like it or not we are all in this mess together. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

And what about education?  Are you going to take back what you said for being a complete liar?  Or are you just gonna try and cherrypick?

Answer the question.  Who the fuck is in charge of education in this country?

Well, whomever is charge of your education,  you should get a refund because they failed to teach you how to read a full paragraph. 

As for who is in charge, it's a combination.  Feds mandate that you get an education. They are responsible for indigenous education programs and a few other portions. 

For reference "In Canada, federal activity in education, while it exists, is limited."

https://openpress.usask.ca/understandingcanadianschools/chapter/2-10-federal-involvement-in-education/

The Fed also mandates multiple languages and a few other areas. 

Now, I am sure your anger level climbed again. I dont like contributing to ones anger so I will likely just avoid engaging you going forward. We'll see. 

Have a wonderful day, touch some grass and enjoy the warmer climate that is TOTALLY NOT influenced by humans.

• Cheers 1

Enbridge rolling out record profits almost every quarter.  Saw some small pull back last quarter in large part due to (SLOWLY) decreasing gas prices.  So what do they do?

Why nothing.  Because Trudeau just laid off or fired almost 700 Enbridge workers citing interest rates and uncertain markets as the reason.  How could he do something so awful?  It's just proof he hates Alberta.

Seriously though, Enbridge engaged in a series of more automation last March that they knew was going to free up almost 1200 positions within a calendar year and this is only the first cut.  They're making more now than ever before and laying people off.  Who do you think people will blame this on?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/enbridge-job-cuts-1.7099277

North American energy pipeline operator Enbridge said on Tuesday it will cut its workforce by 650 jobs in a bid to cut costs.

The company said the cuts will begin in February and be completed by March 1. It will reduce vacant positions, contract positions and redeploy staff where possible, Enbridge said.

"Cost reduction measures are necessary to maintain our financial strength, be more cost-competitive and enable us to grow," Calgary-based Enbridge said in a statement.

It said persistent headwinds, including higher interest rates, economic uncertainty and the ripple effects of geopolitical developments, all contribute to increasingly challenging business conditions across many industries.

The company said it did not have specifics on how business units and regions would be affected.

Enbridge, which owns and operates pipelines throughout Canada and the United States, has several core businesses, liquids pipelines, natural gas pipelines, gas utilities and storage, and renewable energy.

It has a workforce of more than 12,000 people, primarily in the U.S. and Canada, according to the company.

The Calgary Herald first reported the job cuts.

6 hours ago, 5forFighting said:

Well, whomever is charge of your education,  you should get a refund because they failed to teach you how to read a full paragraph. 

As for who is in charge, it's a combination.  Feds mandate that you get an education. They are responsible for indigenous education programs and a few other portions. 

For reference "In Canada, federal activity in education, while it exists, is limited."

https://openpress.usask.ca/understandingcanadianschools/chapter/2-10-federal-involvement-in-education/

The Fed also mandates multiple languages and a few other areas. 

Now, I am sure your anger level climbed again. I dont like contributing to ones anger so I will likely just avoid engaging you going forward. We'll see. 

Have a wonderful day, touch some grass and enjoy the warmer climate that is TOTALLY NOT influenced by humans.

Your answer doesn't really say the feds are in charge of much.  They are responsible for... indigenous education and... a few other portions?  So is that what you're blaming Justin Trudeau for?

Everyone just wants to know why you are faulting Trudeau for our country's education.  What exactly did he do to make you blame him about education?

32 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Your answer doesn't really say the feds are in charge of much.  They are responsible for... indigenous education and... a few other portions?  So is that what you're blaming Justin Trudeau for?

Everyone just wants to know why you are faulting Trudeau for our country's education.  What exactly did he do to make you blame him about education?

Where did I say Trudeau is at fault for our country's education? 

You can never admit you are wrong, giant red flag.

54 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Where did I say Trudeau is at fault for our country's education? 

You can never admit you are wrong, giant red flag.

Fair enough - it was my mistake and I do apologize for that.  I must've mistaken you for Wiggum.

Although you did try and compare Canada to Venezuela and its broken education/groceries.  I haven't seen you once blame the provinces about that - only the feds.  And you did blame Trudeau over health care (completely false).  And you did blame him for making a coalition with the NDP (a precedent set over 150 years ago).

23 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Same, I will be voting NDP provincially in the next endeavour. Frankly it is a personal goal to remove Sonia Furstenau from her seat in my riding. She is the leader of the Green Party and is completely invisible, and has been completely invisible in this riding since I got here in August 2022. 

From what I know from a good friend, who is currently Alistair MacGregor's secretary in Ottawa, we will have a fantastic provincial NDP candidate here in this riding (Cowichan Valley). A person I could 100% campaign for with zero hesitation. I am not at liberty to discuss that at this time though, I am hopeful that together we will unseat the Green Party here in this traditionally NDP and Union stronghold. 

For those interested in the new boundaries for the BC Provincial electoral Districts: 
https://bcebc.ca/final-report/

about page 50 talks about Vancouver Island Districts, notably:

Anyone outside these three sample ridings can easily find theirs in teh linked document..

You got your wish... partially.  She won't be representing your riding in the new Legislature after the next provincial elections happen.

B.C. Greens leader plans to run in different riding for next election

Sonia Furstenau will switch to Victoria–Beacon Hill in 2024 vote

The Canadian Press · Posted: Jan 31, 2024 1:37 PM PST | Last Updated: 1 hour ago
A white woman speaks at a podium while wearing green.
Sonia Furstenau says she'll run in the Victoria-Beacon Hill riding in the 2024 election. (Ben Nelms/CBC)

B.C. Green Party Leader Sonia Furstenau says she'll be switching ridings when the province goes to the polls in October.

Furstenau says she will run in NDP-held Victoria–Beacon Hill, after representing the Cowichan Valley since 2017.

She says returning to the province's capital is a "full circle moment" after having spent two decades there, including attending university and raising her first son.

The 2024 election will be the first with new boundaries for the Cowichan Valley riding, with some of its eastern communities now in a different riding. 

Furstenau says she was "surprised" by the boundary changes but added that the decision to run in Victoria was rooted in her desire to be closer to her family.

Victoria–Beacon Hill is currently represented by B.C.'s Minister of Children and Family Development Grace Lore, who won the seat in 2020 with 54 per cent of the vote. 

The Greens have two seats in the legislature after receiving 15 per cent of the popular vote in 2020, with Furstenau joined by Adam Olsen, who represents Saanich North and the Islands.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sonia-furstenau-bc-greens-riding-switch-1.7100878

5 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Fair enough - it was my mistake and I do apologize for that.  I must've mistaken you for Wiggum.

Although you did try and compare Canada to Venezuela and its broken education/groceries.  I haven't seen you once blame the provinces about that - only the feds.  And you did blame Trudeau over health care (completely false).  And you did blame him for making a coalition with the NDP (a precedent set over 150 years ago).

You're wild. Just take the L's and move on. 

Q6hPmz.gif.8befa62ffe73f8637537ffc54db61598.gif

• Cheers 1

First sign of life from Sonia in over a year, and it is this announcement:

British Columbia

B.C. Greens leader plans to run in different riding for next election

Sonia Furstenau will switch to Victoria–Beacon Hill in 2024 vote

The Canadian Press · Posted: Jan 31, 2024 1:37 PM PST | Last Updated: 6 hours ago

She knew she was about to be TURFED from the Cowichan Valley's seat at the Leg. Running to the safest possible seat aside from the only other Green member who holds their safest seat still. 

17 hours ago, 5forFighting said:

You're wild. Just take the L's and move on. 

Q6hPmz.gif.8befa62ffe73f8637537ffc54db61598.gif

Yet again, you're failing to address the comments you did make about politics in this country.  You simply don't understand how things work and seem keen on blaming Justin Trudeau for pretty much everything.

Almost every poster here has called you out at some point for all the absolute trash articles and opinions you've posted, and not once have you responded.  Not once.

I have to honestly ask you this - why have you not criticized Danielle Smith or Rob Ford even once for anything they've done?

Edited by Miss Korea

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

Yet again, you're failing to address the comments you did make about politics in this country.  You simply don't understand how things work and seem keen on blaming Justin Trudeau for pretty much everything.

Almost every poster here has called you out at some point for all the absolute trash articles and opinions you've posted, and not once have you responded.  Not once.

I have to honestly ask you this - why have you not criticized Danielle Smith or Rob Ford even once for anything they've done?

Because they're doing things he approves of duh

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Because they're doing things he approves of duh

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2024/02/01/opinion/provinces-are-trying-break-canada

Childcare

Of all Pierre Poilievre’s familiar slogans, there’s one that stands above the rest: Canada is broken. There’s no shortage of irony there, not least because what little we know of his proposed plans and policies revolve almost exclusively around breaking things, whether it’s the CBC or Canada’s climate change policies. But the most ironic thing of all is that while Poilievre pretends Justin Trudeau’s Liberals are breaking the country, its conservative premiers are busy doing exactly that.

Take the federal government’s childcare agreement, one that provinces like Ontario and Alberta seem determined to undermine with deliberate mismanagement of the money they’ve been given. While Ottawa will send $3.8 billion to the Alberta government over five years to support its childcare ambitions, the provincial government hasn’t put in a single additional dollar of its own.

That's not all. According to Krystal Churcher, the chair of the Association of Alberta Childcare Entrepreneurs, the Alberta government is effectively asking childcare providers to lend it money every month. “Asking operators to carry 85 per cent of their revenue and wait 40 to 45 days to get it back is putting them in the position where they can’t pay rent on Feb. 1,” she told the CBC’s Matt Galloway. If you wanted to deliberately undermine the federal government’s goals here, this would be a pretty good way to do it.

Healthcare

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-ontario-underspent-health-budget-by-17-billion-in-2022-23-watchdog/ 

But while this might be the most galling example of a provincial government trying to break some key aspect of our country, it’s hardly the only one. There’s also health care, where the Ford government has been consistently underfunding Ontario’s system, which appears to be ever more precariously perched on the brink of total collapse. That might suit the Ford government just fine, given its obvious interest in bringing more private-sector activity into the system. Other conservative governments across the country, from Alberta and Saskatchewan to the Maritimes, appear to be following similar playbooks.

Housing and International students

On housing, the provinces (outside of British Columbia) keep adding fuel to a fire the federal government is desperately trying to extinguish. In 2023, Ontario saw 85,770 housing starts, a seven per cent decrease from the previous year and just 78 per cent of its stated goal of 110,000 new homes. That’s because, according to a number of Ontario municipal leaders, the province has effectively set them up to fail by not supporting the infrastructure needed to actually enable growth and new construction.

They’re not helping on the demand side of the equation either. By admitting an ever-increasing volume of international students — 240,000 in each of the last two years in Ontario alone — they’re adding another source of demand for housing, one that’s putting even more strain on rental markets that can’t handle much more of it.

So why are they bringing so many of these students into the province? Because they help fill the gap in the budgets of the province’s post-secondary institutions the Ford government has created over the last six years. According to Alex Usher, the president of Higher Education Strategy Associates, the combination of a funding cap and a 10 per cent tuition cut has meant Ontario post-secondary institutions have faced an effective cut of 31 per cent in so-called “government-controlled income” since Ford came to office in 2017.

Not surprisingly, those institutions tried to backfill that with revenue from international students, who can be charged nearly six times as much for tuition as their domestic counterparts. According to the 2022 Ontario auditor general’s report, international students made up 17 per cent of enrolment and 45 per cent of tuition in 2021 — numbers that are certainly higher today. Even then, that hasn’t prevented blue-chip institutions like Queen’s from being forced to make major cuts to faculty and programs, ones that were announced before the federal government decided to chop the province’s allotment of international student approvals in half. Those cuts, in other words, could be about to get a whole lot bigger.

• Vintage 3

10 minutes ago, DSVII said:

BUT ITZZZ SUPPOZED TO BE TURDOPES FAULT!!!!

7 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Is this you shouting angrily at the wrong person again?

Provide examples of "blaming Justin Trudeau for everything".

You live in a weird fantasy land. I am not that important to be "called out by almost every poster on here" (another falsity that you can't backup). 

Danielle Smith and Rob Fords decisions don't affect me, so why criticize them? I don't vote there, I don't live there, those people elected them.

You should take a time out from here, you get in way over your head all the time and you make false statements you can't backup. 

It's weird and kinda creepy. You were fixated on me and it turned out your beef was with someone else. 

41 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Is this you shouting angrily at the wrong person again?

Provide examples of "blaming Justin Trudeau for everything".

You live in a weird fantasy land. I am not that important to be "called out by almost every poster on here" (another falsity that you can't backup). 

Danielle Smith and Rob Fords decisions don't affect me, so why criticize them? I don't vote there, I don't live there, those people elected them.

You should take a time out from here, you get in way over your head all the time and you make false statements you can't backup. 

It's weird and kinda creepy. You were fixated on me and it turned out your beef was with someone else. 

Go respond to the other people criticizing you and saying you're wrong about everything.  All you do here is say some brain dead shit about Trudeau and insult me.  That's literally all you've contributed here.  Lies, falsehoods and personal insults.

You've tried to pin every little thing on the federal government and you have literally no clue what you're talking about.

Edited by Miss Korea

On 1/31/2024 at 3:47 AM, 5forFighting said:

Public education is free in Canada.....

Thanks to soyboys like us....

• Vintage 1