Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

14 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

This is what I don't understand that people can't see. So what if it's not his problems? He's the leader of the party in power right now and for the last 8 years. The polls are the way they are for a reason. People are hurting. 

People are incredibly stupid, then.  If they can't see that the federal government can't influence things outside of their control, then what use are they as an electorate?  Just misinformed, angry people, completely ignorant of who they should actually blame?

28 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

He's not responsible for everything or anything, but his party is in power and it is getting worse day by day, which is why the polling is so bad for them. 

There's a lot you can pin on Trudeau, which is why I wonder why you resort to a lot of conspiracies instead. You could literally use logic and critical thinking to provide points against Trudeau, valid points I might add, yet... you don't?....

As you've said, he's in power so he's going to have a crap ton of areas of contention. So why not dig up that dirt? That's the part that baffles me. Instead, you post things like a random propaganda piece regarding Venezuela...

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Teachers hate phone calls with parents. Is that the message? 

I guess this serves me right for trying to be subtle: The conservative governments passing legislation in their provinces about what names kids are called in schools has not considered short forms, nicknames, pet names, classical names and names that are more 'western' versus sometimes hard to pronounce minorities birth names...it now makes the school technically have to call my mom before you can call me Jimbob when my birth name is James. 

the legislation is stupid without forethought of the legal quagmire the legislation will place on the school district.

"your honour, they continued to call my Jonathan by the nickname Johan long after the legislation was passed and the schools were informed of the changes to the law. Therefore, as Jonathan's parents we are suing the school for continuing to allow him to be called Johan in contradiction to the very specific legislation." 

con men in charge: "but but but we only meant it to be used against those queers!"

In short, dumb legislation is dumb. The Supreme court will likely strike down large parts of it, and the voters will likely lean away from the governments that have tried to inflict traditional white christian family values on the population at large. 

• Cheers 2

32 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

You don't believe in parental rights? Would you let your 10 year old smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol? If they came to you and said they were a pirate would you cut off their leg? 

Of course not, parents absolutely have rights. That's why we don't let them vote, drink, drive etc until they are old enough to make those decisions. 

How can parents beat the gay out of their children if they don't even know?

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

6 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Speak for yourself 

I got no complaints.

My life hasn't fundamentally changed because of anything that Justin Trudeau has done.

But from all the whinging going on ITT, it seems as though others' lives are falling apart, thanks to JT.

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe they missed that lesson while they were busy trying to "own the libs"?  :hurhur:

He probably dabs after every post going "GOT EMMMMMMMMM!"

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

But from all the whinging going on ITT, it seems as though others' lives are falling apart, thanks to JT.

Well, I mean after all's said and done he shot their mother, stole their wife, and fucked their dog... no?  :classic_rolleyes:

Wait, maybe I got the order wrong - stole their dog, shot their wife, and fucked their mother?  Something like that. 

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Well, I mean after all's said and done he shot their mother, stole their wife, and fucked their dog... no?  :classic_rolleyes:

Wait, maybe I got the order wrong - stole their dog, shot their wife, and fucked their mother?  Something like that. 

I'm going to go with all three....for all three.....

Hard to say in what order, though....

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

parents with access to the child care covered by "10 dollar a day childcare deal" are raving about how much money they are saving, some paid 60 bucks a kid a day prior to the deal.

veterans who can now access pension for life with service related medical conditions are raving about not having to accept the Harper era lowball single lump sum payments: many of which were put in the hands of mentally unstable vets with little or no oversight ..'and its gone'. NOW vets will be looked after for as long as needed for their service related injuries. 

kids from low income famlies have access to dental care for some, the first time in their lives...

I mean i could go on but those who agree with me already know and those who will be voting for Pepe Lepew don't care. 

You just don't get it, OP...."People are hurting".....

It now costs them an extra $20 to fill up their F-350....

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I got no complaints.

My life hasn't fundamentally changed because of anything that Justin Trudeau has done.

Good for you? You don't speak for everyone.

People are hurting. You can choose to ignore it if you wish. Not my problem

https://globalnews.ca/news/10253600/affordability-ipsos-canada-poll/

Affordability is top concern for Canadians as Parliament resumes: poll

Affordability issues are the main priority for Canadians as parliamentarians return to Ottawa on Monday, and as Liberals gain slightly on the Conservative lead in the polls.

Polling by Ipsos exclusively for Global News found that 49 per cent of Canadians say that reducing the cost of everyday items like groceries is their top concern and what they want parliamentarians to focus on in the new session of Parliament. This is closely followed by inflation and interest rates (45 per cent) and access to affordable housing (39 per cent).

During the Liberal caucus retreat on Jan. 25, House Leader Steve MacKinnon said economic issues will be the top priority for the government this session.

“So, economics are the order of the day, making life easier for Canadians and making housing more accessible,” MacKinnon said.

The House leader, who is in charge of implementing the government’s legislative agenda in that chamber and works with other parties to schedule debates and votes, talked about continued work on measures included in the fall economic statement, such as expanding dental care and legislation to ban replacement workers. He also signalled new bills will be coming.

“There are a number of other initiatives that will be coming forward. I’m not going to reveal all of the bills that will be (presented), but the government has a significant pipeline,” MacKinnon said.

Findings of Ipsos’ polling on the parliamentary priorities of Canadians.
Findings of Ipsos’ polling on the parliamentary priorities of Canadians. Global News

Immigration is the fourth biggest parliamentary priority according the Ipsos poll, something the firm says is not traditionally in the top five issues for Canadian.

Twenty-two per cent of respondents said it is now a top priority.

The pollster says that Canadians are linking immigration policy, including international student caps, to the housing-supply shortage.

Other widely shared priorities identified by more than 10 per cent of respondents include homelessness, the cost of energy and the dental care plan.

Liberals chip at Conservative lead

The polling also found that the Conservatives still hold a wide lead over the Liberals, but the Grits have reduced it to a single-digit lead.

The Liberals are up three points, to 27 per cent support. The Conservatives slipped four points, but still enjoy 36 per cent support. The NDP are at 20 per cent.

This is the first Ipsos poll in nearly a year where the Liberals saw their support increase. That support bottomed out in November 2023 at 24 per cent.

However, in battleground Ontario, the Conservatives still enjoy a double-digit lead with 39 per cent support over both the NDP (27 per cent) and Liberals (24 per cent).

The large number of ridings in Ontario and especially the Greater Toronto Area make it — along with Quebec — a crucial field of play for political parties in any potential federal election campaign.

The Bloc Quebecois leads polling in Quebec with 34 per cent support, and the Liberals are nipping at their heels at 31 per cent.

Ipsos says Atlantic Canada is a tight, three-way race between the main national parties. Meanwhile, the Conservatives double-digit lead extends across the western provinces, as well as with voters over age 35.

As you can see. You are not everyone 

26 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

It's all in the spin...

- most Canadians think things have worsened over that last few years, especially post Covid.

- many people are getting a bit tired of JT.

- many of those people are hoping for a new Liberal leader because they truly do not wish to see PP in power.

54 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

People are incredibly stupid, then.  If they can't see that the federal government can't influence things outside of their control, then what use are they as an electorate?  Just misinformed, angry people, completely ignorant of who they should actually blame?

They say we vote leaders out here not in for a reason

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

It's all in the spin...

- most Canadians think things have worsened over that last few years, especially post Covid.

- many people are getting a bit tired of JT.

- many of those people are hoping for a new Liberal leader because they truly do not wish to see PP in power.

Yeah, I see the PP ads on TV and can't help but think about how little they actually say. It's basically "the Liberals suck and we'll make it better".... like okay? How?

I wish details would actually be presented in ads more.

Edited by The Lock
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Good for you? You don't speak for everyone.

People are hurting. You can choose to ignore it if you wish. Not my problem

https://globalnews.ca/news/10253600/affordability-ipsos-canada-poll/

Affordability is top concern for Canadians as Parliament resumes: poll

Affordability issues are the main priority for Canadians as parliamentarians return to Ottawa on Monday, and as Liberals gain slightly on the Conservative lead in the polls.

Polling by Ipsos exclusively for Global News found that 49 per cent of Canadians say that reducing the cost of everyday items like groceries is their top concern and what they want parliamentarians to focus on in the new session of Parliament. This is closely followed by inflation and interest rates (45 per cent) and access to affordable housing (39 per cent).

During the Liberal caucus retreat on Jan. 25, House Leader Steve MacKinnon said economic issues will be the top priority for the government this session.

“So, economics are the order of the day, making life easier for Canadians and making housing more accessible,” MacKinnon said.

The House leader, who is in charge of implementing the government’s legislative agenda in that chamber and works with other parties to schedule debates and votes, talked about continued work on measures included in the fall economic statement, such as expanding dental care and legislation to ban replacement workers. He also signalled new bills will be coming.

“There are a number of other initiatives that will be coming forward. I’m not going to reveal all of the bills that will be (presented), but the government has a significant pipeline,” MacKinnon said.

Findings of Ipsos’ polling on the parliamentary priorities of Canadians.
Findings of Ipsos’ polling on the parliamentary priorities of Canadians. Global News

Immigration is the fourth biggest parliamentary priority according the Ipsos poll, something the firm says is not traditionally in the top five issues for Canadian.

Twenty-two per cent of respondents said it is now a top priority.

The pollster says that Canadians are linking immigration policy, including international student caps, to the housing-supply shortage.

Other widely shared priorities identified by more than 10 per cent of respondents include homelessness, the cost of energy and the dental care plan.

Liberals chip at Conservative lead

The polling also found that the Conservatives still hold a wide lead over the Liberals, but the Grits have reduced it to a single-digit lead.

The Liberals are up three points, to 27 per cent support. The Conservatives slipped four points, but still enjoy 36 per cent support. The NDP are at 20 per cent.

This is the first Ipsos poll in nearly a year where the Liberals saw their support increase. That support bottomed out in November 2023 at 24 per cent.

However, in battleground Ontario, the Conservatives still enjoy a double-digit lead with 39 per cent support over both the NDP (27 per cent) and Liberals (24 per cent).

The large number of ridings in Ontario and especially the Greater Toronto Area make it — along with Quebec — a crucial field of play for political parties in any potential federal election campaign.

The Bloc Quebecois leads polling in Quebec with 34 per cent support, and the Liberals are nipping at their heels at 31 per cent.

Ipsos says Atlantic Canada is a tight, three-way race between the main national parties. Meanwhile, the Conservatives double-digit lead extends across the western provinces, as well as with voters over age 35.

As you can see. You are not everyone 

This doesn't prove your point that people are "hurting". I suggests that people don't like paying more for things, which should surprise nobody. If the article included statistics on thousands of foreclosures and/or bankruptcy claims, it might support your position.

I'm not happy about paying more for stuff either. I've got house projects that have been on hold for years, due to the increase in lumber costs. But I know that was due to supply chain issues caused by Covid and not by Justin Trudeau. That obvious little factoid seems to escape some of the complainers around here....

The people who truly are hurting are the ones who have and will benefit from social assistance programs. I sincerely hope you aren't  going to try and make the case that those kinds of programs will improve with a Conservative government.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I guess this serves me right for trying to be subtle: The conservative governments passing legislation in their provinces about what names kids are called in schools has not considered short forms, nicknames, pet names, classical names and names that are more 'western' versus sometimes hard to pronounce minorities birth names...it now makes the school technically have to call my mom before you can call me Jimbob when my birth name is James. 

the legislation is stupid without forethought of the legal quagmire the legislation will place on the school district.

"your honour, they continued to call my Jonathan by the nickname Johan long after the legislation was passed and the schools were informed of the changes to the law. Therefore, as Jonathan's parents we are suing the school for continuing to allow him to be called Johan in contradiction to the very specific legislation." 

con men in charge: "but but but we only meant it to be used against those queers!"

In short, dumb legislation is dumb. The Supreme court will likely strike down large parts of it, and the voters will likely lean away from the governments that have tried to inflict traditional white christian family values on the population at large. 

The opposite of that is they continued to call my son a girl, although they were born a girl, their birth certificate says female and their given name is Sarah, but now wants it to be Steve. 

• Confused 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

This doesn't prove your point that people are "hurting". I suggests that people don't like paying more for things, which should surprise nobody. If the article included statistics on thousands of foreclosures and/or bankruptcy claims, it might support your position.

I'm not happy about paying more for stuff either. I've got house projects that have been on hold for years, due to the increase in lumber costs. But I know that was due to supply chain issues caused by Covid and not by Justin Trudeau. That obvious little factoid seems to escape some of the complainers around here....

The people who truly are hurting are the ones who have and will benefit from social assistance programs. I sincerely hope you aren't  going to try and make the case that those kinds of programs will improve with a Conservative government.

There was never a lumber shortage or supply chain issues related to lumber. 

6 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

There was never a lumber shortage or supply chain issues related to lumber. 

If you owned a lumber yard and everything you and your family had to buy was more costly due to supply chain issues how might that affect how you priced things?

Edited by Satchmo
typo
  • Like 1