Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

The opposite of that is they continued to call my son a girl, although they were born a girl, their birth certificate says female and their given name is Sarah, but now wants it to be Steve. 

That make absolutely no sense.  Who are they" and how can "they" change a child's name?

7 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

This doesn't prove your point that people are "hurting". I suggests that people don't like paying more for things, which should surprise nobody. If the article included statistics on thousands of foreclosures and/or bankruptcy claims, it might support your position.

I'm not happy about paying more for stuff either. I've got house projects that have been on hold for years, due to the increase in lumber costs. But I know that was due to supply chain issues caused by Covid and not by Justin Trudeau. That obvious little factoid seems to escape some of the complainers around here....

The people who truly are hurting are the ones who have and will benefit from social assistance programs. I sincerely hope you aren't  going to try and make the case that those kinds of programs will improve with a Conservative government.

What do you think happens when people have to pay more for goods and services? Like you can't be this ignorant? People are being squeezed out

"I've got house projects" That explains everything I need to hear right there.

Ask anyone under the age of 30 how they are doing. I'm sure they would be glad to tell you

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

What do you think happens when people have to pay more for goods and services? Like you can't be this ignorant? People are being squeezed out

Ask anyone under the age of 30 how they are doing. I'm sure they would be glad to tell you

I've got three kids under 30. They're doing just fine.

What are people being "squeezed out" of?

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I've got three kids under 30. They're doing just fine.

What are people being "squeezed out" of?

You own a home dude. Of course YOUR kids are fine. Not everyone is in your position.

Let's see. Rentals? Home ownership? For some people buying good healthy groceries is becoming increasingly difficult or just groceries in general. People can't save due to having to spend more. Entertainment has gotten increasingly expensive. That's just off the top of my head 

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

You own a home dude. Of course YOUR kids are fine. Not everyone is in your position.

Let's see. Rentals? Home ownership? For some people buying good healthy groceries is becoming increasingly difficult or just groceries in general. People can't save due to having to spend more. Entertainment has gotten increasingly expensive. That's just off the top of my head 

Did you ask how old his kids are?

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

My kids are between 25 and 30. They've got their own places.

And yes, I understand that things have gotten more expensive. That's to be expected after a global pandemic and a war that includes one of the biggest oil producers in the world.

I just disagree with the dystopian landscape you're painting here....

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

What fantasy world you do live in that you think people are doing just fine in this economy?  Wow.  

Care to expand on this?

Maybe some photos of bread lines, or stockbrokers jumping out of windows? Because that's the image you and your Pastamigo are projecting....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

They say we vote leaders out here not in for a reason

10 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

They will say nothing about getting hundreds or even thousands in tax credits and benefits... but get completely outraged when they have to pay a couple hundred bucks more for something else.  You are acknowledging the poor political literacy of Canadians, but still falling for the same trap anyways.

People are being squeezed out but a Poilievre government REALLY isn't going to do anything to alleviate that.

Trudeau's government did quite a bit to help Canadians, especially during the pandemic.   He could've and should've done more to help out with housing - he definitely waited too long on that one.

But goods and services?  The entire globe is suffering from supply shortages and inflation.  The Suez Canal has slowed to a crawl (again) because of Houthi pirates.  Does anyone honestly believe Trudeau has that kind of influence over the world?

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

And yes, I understand that things have gotten more expensive. That's to be expected after a global pandemic and a war that includes one of the biggest oil producers in the world.

My son just turned 28 and has a great job...no money problems.  Of course he worked his ass off in High school and University to get where he is instead of complaining and wanting things handed to him.  Saved his money growing up instead of wasting it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

What fantasy world you do live in that you think people are doing just fine in this economy?  Wow.  

What fantasy world do you live in that you think Trudeau is responsible for the price of a Big Mac or a large double double?  You think the Liberals jacked up the price?

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I didn't say it was a dystopian landscape. I said people are hurting. I have a lot of friends between the age of 25-35. Basically every single one of them has accepted they will probably never own a home. Including me. Does that speak for everyone? Of course it doesn't. It does speak to a growing trend though. 

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

They will say nothing about getting hundreds or even thousands in tax credits and benefits... but get completely outraged when they have to pay a couple hundred bucks more for something else.  You are acknowledging the poor political literacy of Canadians, but still falling for the same trap anyways.

People are being squeezed out but a Poilievre government REALLY isn't going to do anything to alleviate that.

Trudeau's government did quite a bit to help Canadians, especially during the pandemic.   He could've and should've done more to help out with housing - he definitely waited too long on that one.

But goods and services?  The entire globe is suffering from supply shortages and inflation.  The Suez Canal has slowed to a crawl (again) because of Houthi pirates.  Does anyone honestly believe Trudeau has that kind of influence over the world?

Pee Pee does.

8 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I didn't say it was a dystopian landscape. I said people are hurting. I have a lot of friends between the age of 25-35. Basically every single one of them has accepted they will probably never own a home. Including me. Does that speak for everyone? Of course it doesn't. It does speak to a growing trend though. 

So, when you say "people are hurting", what you mean is "people can't afford to buy a home"? Thanks for clearing that up, because that's not the image that comes to mind for me when I hear "people are hurting".

To me, it means people have to sell everything to pay rent, or have to go to the food bank to feed their kids.....which brings me back to social assistance, which I am positive would not be boosted by a Conservative government.

I feel for people who can't buy a home, but truth be told, I wouldn't be able to buy a home in Vancouver either. That's why I live in a small town on the North Coast. Same for one of my daughters, who is in the process of buying a property on Haida Gwaii with her fiancee.

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

If you owned a lumber yard and everything you and your family had to buy was more costly due to supply chain issues how might that affect how you priced things?

Lumber was stockpiled to drive prices. Never a supply chain issue or a shortage. 

Just now, RupertKBD said:

So, when you say "people are hurting", what you mean is "people can't afford to buy a home"? Thanks for clearing that up, because that's not the image that comes to mind for me when I hear "people are hurting".

To me, it means people have to sell everything to pay rent, or have to go to the food bank to feed their kids.....which brings me back to social assistance, which I am positive would not be boosted by a Conservative government.

I feel for people who can't buy a home, but truth be told, I wouldn't be able to buy a home in Vancouver either. That's why I live in a small town on the North Coast.

No, when I say people are hurting, I'm including all of it. Not sure how you come to that conclusion? 

Have you seen the food bank numbers in the recent months? That is exactly what is happening.

And rentals? Where are people supposed to live when rents are pushing 2k for a one bedroom. Most people can't afford that 

6 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Lumber was stockpiled to drive prices. Never a supply chain issue or a shortage. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lumber-prices-covid-19-cost-of-housing-1.5973416

When the pandemic hit, lumber mills were forced to close. Then, a nation of people stuck at home started building more decks and fences. People renovated to accommodate their new work-from-home lives.

And that's left mills scrambling to get logs, lumber yards short on supply, and contractors forced to pay more for what supply is available.

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

No, when I say people are hurting, I'm including all of it. Not sure how you come to that conclusion? 

Have you seen the food bank numbers in the recent months? That is exactly what is happening.

And rentals? Where are people supposed to live when rents are pushing 2k for a one bedroom. Most people can't afford that 

Most people? So most people are now living on the streets? Who knew? (besides you, I mean)

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Most people? So most people are now living on the streets? Who knew? (besides you, I mean)

Are you being purposely obtuse or? If people have to choose between paying upwards of 80% of their income towards rent to avoid being homeless, what do you think people are going to do?

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

Are you being purposely obtuse or? If people have to choose between paying upwards of 80% of their income towards rent to avoid being homeless, what do you think people are going to do?

I'm making the case that you're overstating the breadth of the issue and making up numbers as you go along. I doubt that "most" people are paying 80% of their income for rent.

I acknowledged some people are having a tough time making ends meet, which is why Social Programs exist.

I have made that point to you twice now, yet you ignore it, because you know Pierre would not a a boon to people who need those programs.

8 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm making the case that you're overstating the breadth of the issue and making up numbers as you go along. I doubt that "most" people are paying 80% of their income for rent.

I acknowledged some people are having a tough time making ends meet, which is why Social Programs exist.

I have made that point to you twice now, yet you ignore it, because you know Pierre would not a a boon to people who need those programs.

That was a hypothetical. 

Overall, two-in-five (43%) say they find covering their mortgage or rent payment difficult each month, consistent with figures seen last quarter. More than half (54%) say they find these monthly costs manageable or easy 

However, there is a gap on this assessment between renters and homeowners. Renters are more likely to report difficulties covering their rent – half (53%) describe it as tough or very difficult to pay – than homeowners their mortgage – 46 per cent say it is tough or very difficult

https://angusreid.org/mortgage-rates-variable-fixed-canada-increases-economic-optimism-pessimism/#:~:text=Part Three%3A Housing affordability challenges,-Housing – whether it&text=Overall%2C two-in-five,easy (see detailed tables).

So basically half the country is feeling it. I would classify that as people hurting

I haven't addressed him because I never brought him up. 

Edited by Ricky Ravioli