Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, LaBamba said:

I actually ran into that a little while back. Lol. The most Canadian thing ever. 

its basically the platform of the PC's before Judas MacKay sold us out to the Reformer pity party. 

Just now, LaBamba said:

We wouldn’t have the money or the buying power to continue with our social programs if the housing market collapses. Whatever we are doing now is what got us here and we urgently need change. 

one of the things we need is a late 80s/early 90s style investment in co-op housing, in a massive way. Its the only thing imo that can match up peoples incomes with home costs. Also the only thing first timers in the market can afford. 

I think we'll see a decent sized equity adjustment, maybe in the 20%'s sooner than later, not sure we're going to see a full on collapse.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its basically the platform of the PC's before Judas MacKay sold us out to the Reformer pity party. 

one of the things we need is a late 80s/early 90s style investment in co-op housing, in a massive way. Its the only thing imo that can match up peoples incomes with home costs. Also the only thing first timers in the market can afford. 

I think we'll see a decent sized equity adjustment, maybe in the 20%'s sooner than later, not sure we're going to see a full on collapse.

Canadian Reform Alliance Party

Their new party sure was funny. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

We are going to erase the Covid gains IMO. 

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I’m tired of saying the exact same thing to 17 different people.

Just look around. We are in a jam.
Y’all remind me of that mother with the f’d up son who refuses to acknowledge that he f’d up. Just zero accountability. Like I said earlier I don’t care anymore. Worship your god. 

We're in a jam mainly do yo demographics.  The largest generation of people in the history of the world have now mostly retired......which means they are out of the work force and it also means they are no longer spending the way they did all their lives.

We are entering a period of one of the biggest changes in modern history, if not the biggest.  There's going to be pain associated with that.  However when they're gone, the world is going to progress rapidly and living will be easier and cheaper.

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

We're in a jam mainly do yo demographics.  The largest generation of people in the history of the world have now mostly retired......which means they are out of the work force and it also means they are no longer spending the way they did all their lives.

We are entering a period of one of the biggest changes in modern history, if not the biggest.  There's going to be pain associated with that.  However when they're gone, the world is going to progress rapidly and living will be easier and cheaper.

Alf needs to double up on the drinking. He’s agreeing with almost every @stawns post! 

789294DE-7F6F-4D93-B104-49769988277B.gif

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

This big and aggressive, yes. I don’t even wanna talk about this anymore, hopefully people will stop quoting me so I can never come back in here again. Lol. 90% of the people in here just attack the crap out of anyone that doesn’t love what’s going on in our country right now. Telling me how bad it’s going to be when the CPC take over and how I’m a POS for having a different opinion. You guys can just continue to post your little CBC articles and encourage each other. I’ll just keep to myself and vote. 
@King Heffy

I think you're overreacting. I don't believe anything I said to you could be construed as an "attack".

You said you couldn't understand why people don't share your opinion of JT and I asked what he has done to give you such disdain for him.

You respond with the word "deficits", which virtually every PM runs, so it doesn't make a lot of sense that this would be the only reason for your dislike of him. You also said that he gets a mulligan for Covid, which makes the "deficits" answer seem even more disingenuous.

It's not that you have a different opinion, it's just that you don't seem to be honest about why you have this opinion.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Breadnbutta said:

We have the highest cost of living in the g7 and its not even close. How can anyone not want change?

Got some stats to back up this claim? I couldn't find an actual cost of living index for just the G7 countries, but I did find this graph:

image.thumb.jpeg.102949999ae3f72849db750a440534de.jpeg

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

We are going to erase the Covid gains IMO. 

yep. I think it will go further as prices have to drop with more historical interest rates. No matter who is in power this is going to be hard to deal with. Its why I'm so convinced that we need a push for co-op's again, I just don't see the regular market providing what we need. 

From a recent BMO report:

Key Takeaways

• Downward price discovery will continue through 2023 as the market absorbs higher, albeit peaking, mortgage rates. Near-term variable rate cuts are unlikely.

• Regional performance will vary. Alberta is best positioned, while Southwestern Ontario (Toronto exurbs) will continue to struggle most.

• The rabid speculative appetite is gone, to be replaced by fundamental cash-flow driven investment.

• Government supply targets will prove next to impossible to hit.

• Peak domestic demographic demand is near, but high immigration targets will stave off a 1990s-like bust.

• Price growth coming out of this cycle will be much more subdued, if not stagnant in some markets.

https://economics.bmo.com/en/publications/detail/48c5b7b5-5ae2-4aea-83b0-57019cc91399/

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Got some stats to back up this claim? I couldn't find an actual cost of living index for just the G7 countries, but I did find this graph:

image.thumb.jpeg.102949999ae3f72849db750a440534de.jpeg

I saw gasoline prices in Italy, Greece, and Spain at €2.00. 95 octane, but just the same, that’s close to $3.00 CDN.

Just now, Johngould21 said:

I saw gasoline prices in Italy, Greece, and Spain at €2.00. 95 octane, but just the same, that’s close to $3.00 CDN.

We definitely have some issues in Canada, but the claim that we were the worst in the G7 (and it wasn't even close) seemed off to me. From what I was able to find, the UK was generally in the toughest spot right now.

We do apparently lead in household debt, but that was the only area that I could find where Canada was the worst of the G7 countries.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yep. I think it will go further as prices have to drop with more historical interest rates. No matter who is in power this is going to be hard to deal with. Its why I'm so convinced that we need a push for co-op's again, I just don't see the regular market providing what we need. 

Key Takeaways

• Downward price discovery will continue through 2023 as the market absorbs higher, albeit peaking, mortgage rates. Near-term variable rate cuts are unlikely.

• Regional performance will vary. Alberta is best positioned, while Southwestern Ontario (Toronto exurbs) will continue to struggle most.

• The rabid speculative appetite is gone, to be replaced by fundamental cash-flow driven investment.

• Peak domestic demographic demand is near, but high immigration targets will stave off a 1990s-like bust.

• Price growth coming out of this cycle will be much more subdued, if not stagnant in some markets.

https://economics.bmo.com/en/publications/detail/48c5b7b5-5ae2-4aea-83b0-57019cc91399/

A bank isn’t going to be overly pessimistic. Like I explained in the prior posts our economy is deeply embedded into the housing market. A large portion of GDP is tied into housing construction. Alberta real estate hasn’t moved much in the last 10 years. I actually just moved some equity into Alberta so it wasn’t all exposed to BC and purchased a duplex in penhold. (Suburb of red deer). I am worried about our currency the most. So I’m Dumping savings into USD and Bullion.
People need to prepare. Most people should try over mortgage on renewal and protect that equity in treasury bonds or Bullion. I don’t trust much on the TSX. 

If the CPC won a majority government our currency would like go up on sentiment alone. 

38 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Key Takeaways

I'm not buying the interest hakes fighting inflation.......it's a classic neoliberal shell game designed to push more money upward.

20 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

May was a long time ago, and they don’t have a housing bubble like we do. 

May was a long time ago?  The margin of change would be small, at best.we have a housing bubble, but not the way the US did in 2008, which was flat out fraud.

2 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

How is Polievre a psycho path?

He has common sense policies...

We have the highest cost of living in the g7 and its not even close. How can anyone not want change?

Our wages don't reflect the cost of living either. He hands out money like crazy. He gives the poor enough free money to bump them into the middle class and the middle class is taxed to poverty. The rich get richer.

Look around the country, tent cities everywhere. Sky high homelessness, drug problems and a country divided.

Crime through the roof.

Are there lots of variables? Sure... could all of this have happened under another party or pm, maybe or even likely 

But regardless of the "ifs" and there's a lot of them.

This is Trudeau's Canada.

He was at the helm during all this mess.

Polievre actually had a clear argument and is well versed, Trudeau humms and ha's his way though every interview I've ever heard. Has no political background, his last name is why he's here.

Drama teacher, snowboarding instructor, prime minister...

Makes sense, Castro Jr.

Oh yay I have something to do.

OK let's do this line by line here.  PLease do try to respond.

1.  He is not a psycho path, but based on his voting record and his willingness to throw his former supporters and values under the bus for power kind of make him seem a bit sociopathic.

2.  What policies does he have that are any level of common sense that will help you, me or anyone?  Please list them.

3.  We have the highest cost of living in the G7?  More than France, Italy, Germany, Japan the Uk US and the EU?  Please.  prove your statement.

4.  Hands money out like crazy?  The largest volume of money given out was during the pandemic which was done via all party support meaning the Cons, Bloc, Greens Libs and NDP all agreed on spending measures.  This during a global pandemic which shut everything down.  The alternative was letting businesses and homes basically fold up thus bankrupting the entire nation.  Show me under the former government, in which Poiliverre was a high ranking cabinet minister for over 7 years; where the middle class somehow made out better.

5.  Homelessness, drug problems and tent cities are almost universally the wheelhouse of the provinces.  For the majority of trudeau's time as PM no less than 8 and no more than 9 provinces have been run by Conservative parties.  So please, again show me how that is his fault.  Understanding governmental oversight is important here

6.  Crime through the roof?  Again predominantly the fault of the provinces for failing to enact or enforce laws.  Can you indicate or show me where Trudeau repealed laws that contributed to an increase in crime?

7.  This is Trudeau's Canada?  He has had a minority government since late 2018 early 2019.  He had almost 2 years of multi party support through the pandemic meaning he has not had full power since late 2018.  So to blame him is just to point your finger and prove you're still not understanding how our government works.

8.  Poiliverre has a clear argument?  Please explain.  All he does is point his finger, yell and blame Trudeau for everything.  Housing is a fun one.  Under Poiliverre when he was the minister in charge of housing.  His party spent hundreds of millions pledged on housing and built almost nothing to show for it.  Poiliverre was the minister in charge of this.  When you say Trudeau has no political background please understand, Poiliverre has NEVER held a job in his life.  He ONLY has a political background and in his 20+ years in office went from jobless and no money to having amassed almost $10 million in personal wealth.

9.  Drama teacher, snowboarding instructor, PM.  That's 2 more actual tax paying jobs than Poiliverre has ever held.  Again and this is important.  What common sense real world experience does Poiliverre have that magically makes him more qualified than trudeau?  If anything he is less qualified as he failed in 2 cabinet positions and has never held a tax paying job in his life.  To crap on Trudeau for this but give Poiliverre a pass is juvenile at best and hypocritical at worst.

Makes sense.  Angry Trudeau 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

May was a long time ago?  The margin of change would be small, at best.we have a housing bubble, but not the way the US did in 2008, which was flat out fraud.

Housing equity exploded due to low interest rates and low inventory. When those mortgage go for renewal at 6% the payments will more than double and the bank will have to take them back. It’s going to be just as spectacular as the 2008 crash. Canadian banks are more sound and probably won’t need to be bailed out but either way it’s going to be bad.

This will be JT’s legacy. It almost needs to happen to snap everyone back into reality. Hard times are humbling. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, LaBamba said:

Housing equity exploded due to low interest rates and low inventory. When those mortgage go for renewal at 6% the payments will more than double and the bank will have to take them back. It’s going to be just as spectacular as the 2008 crash. Canadian banks are more sound and probably won’t need to be bailed out but either way it’s going to be bad.

This will be JT’s legacy. It almost needs to happen to snap everyone back into reality. Hard times are humbling. 

The single largest purchasing period in canadian history was around or between mid 2018 and early 2020.

A lot of those 5 year terms are just coming due now.  

It will really start to hurt over the next 6-7 months IMO

10 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

How can it be JT's legacy when it's happening all over the globe?  Is he so evil that he can trigger a planet wide inflation?

I think his legacy is guiding the country through a pandemic, all while managing to stay prime minister-y in the face of a wave of conspiracy nuts who follow him around everywhere goes, throwing rocks, spitting, screaming etc.

I don't like him, but I do like how he's handled that completely ridiculous faction of right wing nutjobs.

Ultimately, I don't actually think he's going to run again, I think it'll be Freeyland, who might actually the smartest person in any of the parties.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Oh yay I have something to do.

OK let's do this line by line here.  PLease do try to respond.

1.  He is not a psycho path, but based on his voting record and his willingness to throw his former supporters and values under the bus for power kind of make him seem a bit sociopathic.

2.  What policies does he have that are any level of common sense that will help you, me or anyone?  Please list them.

3.  We have the highest cost of living in the G7?  More than France, Italy, Germany, Japan the Uk US and the EU?  Please.  prove your statement.

4.  Hands money out like crazy?  The largest volume of money given out was during the pandemic which was done via all party support meaning the Cons, Bloc, Greens Libs and NDP all agreed on spending measures.  This during a global pandemic which shut everything down.  The alternative was letting businesses and homes basically fold up thus bankrupting the entire nation.  Show me under the former government, in which Poiliverre was a high ranking cabinet minister for over 7 years; where the middle class somehow made out better.

5.  Homelessness, drug problems and tent cities are almost universally the wheelhouse of the provinces.  For the majority of trudeau's time as PM no less than 8 and no more than 9 provinces have been run by Conservative parties.  So please, again show me how that is his fault.  Understanding governmental oversight is important here

6.  Crime through the roof?  Again predominantly the fault of the provinces for failing to enact or enforce laws.  Can you indicate or show me where Trudeau repealed laws that contributed to an increase in crime?

7.  This is Trudeau's Canada?  He has had a minority government since late 2018 early 2019.  He had almost 2 years of multi party support through the pandemic meaning he has not had full power since late 2018.  So to blame him is just to point your finger and prove you're still not understanding how our government works.

8.  Poiliverre has a clear argument?  Please explain.  All he does is point his finger, yell and blame Trudeau for everything.  Housing is a fun one.  Under Poiliverre when he was the minister in charge of housing.  His party spent hundreds of millions pledged on housing and built almost nothing to show for it.  Poiliverre was the minister in charge of this.  When you say Trudeau has no political background please understand, Poiliverre has NEVER held a job in his life.  He ONLY has a political background and in his 20+ years in office went from jobless and no money to having amassed almost $10 million in personal wealth.

9.  Drama teacher, snowboarding instructor, PM.  That's 2 more actual tax paying jobs than Poiliverre has ever held.  Again and this is important.  What common sense real world experience does Poiliverre have that magically makes him more qualified than trudeau?  If anything he is less qualified as he failed in 2 cabinet positions and has never held a tax paying job in his life.  To crap on Trudeau for this but give Poiliverre a pass is juvenile at best and hypocritical at worst.

Makes sense.  Angry Trudeau 

As I explained in some earlier posts it’s not the pandemic itself that JT is responsible for it’s the environment he created that will intensify it. The actual inflation itself isn’t the literal problem it’s the higher interest rates that are needed to flatten it. (Still not his fault)

It’s that our economy is so deeply entangled with the housing market, housing construction and the materials/labour associated with it are what alot of our GDP growth is. 
Our CAD use to increase with oil prices but it’s diverged in recent years because our resources are no longer investments. that alone would’ve helped with inflation. 
now that our Countries wealth is no longer tied to Oil or anything tangible we are completely painted into a corner.  
The government divested in its resources without something else to back its currency and now all the chips are in one hand. It’s inevitable and a part of me wants this to happen to wake everyone up.  it’s going to start happening in 3years and not be resolved for probably 3 more. 

take your equity out now while you still have it. Put it in treasury Bonds, foreign currency and Bullion. 

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

As I explained in some earlier posts it’s not the pandemic itself that JT is responsible for it’s the environment he created that will intensify it. The actual inflation itself isn’t the literal problem it’s the higher interest rates that are needed to flatten it. (Still not his fault)

It’s that our economy is so deeply entangled with the housing market, housing construction and the materials/labour associated with it are what alot of our GDP growth is. 
Our CAD use to increase with oil prices but it’s diverged in recent years because our resources are no longer investments. that alone would’ve helped with inflation. 
now that our Countries wealth is no longer tied to Oil or anything tangible we are completely painted into a corner.  
The government divested in its resources without something else to back its currency and now all the chips are in one hand. It’s inevitable and a part of me wants this to happen to wake everyone up.  it’s going to start happening in 3years and not be resolved for probably 3 more. 

take your equity out now while you still have it. Put it in treasury Bonds, foreign currency and Bullion. 

Banks will either make a killing or be killed over the next 5 years. 
Feel bad for those folks who have huge mortgages because as they come up for renewal those people will be in the same boat as Tesla drivers. 

Edited by Alflives

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

How can it be JT's legacy when it's happening all over the globe?  Is he so evil that he can trigger a planet wide inflation?

I think his legacy is guiding the country through a pandemic, all while managing to stay prime minister-y in the face of a wave of conspiracy nuts who follow him around everywhere goes, throwing rocks, spitting, screaming etc.

I don't like him, but I do like how he's handled that completely ridiculous faction of right wing nutjobs.

Ultimately, I don't actually think he's going to run again, I think it'll be Freeyland, who might actually the smartest person in any of the parties.

Like I just explained in my post to war hippy it’s the environment. Forget about the inflation for a second and think about the landscape we have to absorb this. We transitioned from a petro dollar with home equity to replace it. 
forget even about oil for a second. Electric cars need batteries. Why aren’t Nickel or cobalt mines firing up? Or any other mines related to batteries. It’s because permits and royalties and carbon taxes have made it hard to invest, the CAD has no purchasing power so you can’t invest within and foreign investors have better places to spent their money. 
When this unravels it’s going to be his legacy. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

Our wages don't reflect the cost of living either. He hands out money like crazy. He gives the poor enough free money to bump them into the middle class and the middle class is taxed to poverty. The rich get richer.

What are you basing this off of? I work for an organization that helps lower income families access healthcare and I have never once heard anything to lead me to believe these lower income families are being given significant financial handouts that could lead to adjusting their tax bracket.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

What are you basing this off of? I work for an organization that helps lower income families access healthcare and I have never once heard anything to lead me to believe these lower income families are being given significant financial handouts that could lead to adjusting their tax bracket.

My guess?  Some people only like to operate in hyperbole.

• Vintage 1