Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Every Trudeau supporter here has already established his party moved too slowly to combat housing.  It really, REALLY isn't the federal government's jurisdiction.  The feds haven't touched housing since the 80s and 90s when Mulroney and Chrétien got out of the social housing business.  That isn't something Trudeau is interested in doing, and it's not something Pierre Poilievre is either.  In the 90s and 00s, the provinces also backed out, deferring almost all responsibility to the municipalities.  The one exception here is Quebec, who has not experienced the housing crisis as poorly as the others due to how nationalized its program is.  BC has just started to target transit-oriented housing and revamping local zoning laws, but it's a new iniative that wasn't really ever their responsibility before.

All of this boils down to history, @Elias Pettersson.  All of this has to do with the lack of knowledge that Gen Z voters have.  You can't really use that excuse.  You know for a fact that a lot of the inflationary pressures experienced by everyday Canadians are largely out of his control.  It is ridiculous to actually think Pierre Poilievre and the Conservatives are going to get involved left-wing style.  Would a Conservative government introduce social housing?  Hell no.  Would a Conservative government get their hands dirty in controlling grocery prices?  Hell no.  Is a Liberal government making such promises?  Also no!  But what the Cons will do is sell whatever public land they have (Greenbelt style) for private development.  Poilievre has promised to do so (ignoring treaty laws, environmental impact, and just the overall prohibitive conversion costs.  It is like the equivalent of cutting down an ancient forest and letting an American company throw down housing, with zero urban planning.

Not even Stephen Harper engaged in this level of disngenuity and misinformation.  Pierre Poilievre is a lying sack of shit, straight up.  He has steered his party heavily towards GOP terriotory and all the dynamics that come with American politics.  It is wild that you cannot see that.

The BC government hasn’t done anything in years in regards to the housing crisis because it didn’t benefit them.  The property transfer tax for the purchase of a home has made billions for our BC government over the last 20+ years.  No need to change things if money is flowing through and everyone is happy.  

The fact that Bill 44 and Bill 47 have been passed through by the BC government shows that the provincial government had the power to change zoning bylaws this whole time.  They didn’t need to wait for municipalities to do it.  Both the Liberals and the NDP have been in power since the 1990’s, so both sides had a chance to change things.

Generation Z is smarter than you think.  They are more involved in politics than the Millenials IMO and they all know that when it comes to housing they are all screwed.  So they can blame who they want.  Everyone has had a hand in screwing them over to the point that many will never be able to buy a home in their lifetimes.  So if they want a change and see how the Conservatives will do then that is their choice.

It’s been acknowledged here that the Federal government isn’t really responsible for most of the problems in our country.  So I don’t expect much of a change if PP were to take over.  If the housing crisis has nothing to do with the Federal government then it will be same old same old.  Best case scenario for the Trudeau voters is that there is a minority government and the Conservatives don’t have the votes to make any changes. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

5 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Gender affirming care is medical care, supported by the majority of the medical community, to save the lives of these children who disproportionately take their own lives. Are you a doctor? No? Then park your trucks and stfu. 

No, it isn't. It's child abuse and is disgusting. 

9 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

The laws that stop kids from drinking to early, doimg drugs to early, driving to early, voting to early should also be applied to cutting off your body parts to early and taking hormone blockers to early. 

And nobody is cutting off any childrens body parts. Your transphopic tropes are ignorant af. Please somebody tell me again how homophobia and transphobia isn't an issue. And it's "too" Dr. 5

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

If we’re relying on anecdotal evidence I will say that when I finished my basement during Covid I could find only one small stack of 2x4s too twisted to use at Home Depot, managed to get half of what I needed at Lowes and then had to wait for another delivery to get the rest. Pickings were slim, crappy and outrageously priced. If actual evidence counts for anything…

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/economy/how-lumber-industry-misread-covid-ended-global-shortage-sky-high-n1272542

How the lumber industry misread Covid and ended up with a global shortage and sky-high prices

The price jump was "a classic case of supply and demand imbalance," that followed a "massive supply chain disruption" due to Covid. "Never before in history have we had that kind of price appreciation so quickly," Yurkovich said.

Mills temporarily shut down to implement new safety protocols and acquire personal protective equipment. Some mills took down time. Others had to cut back production because workers got Covid. Mills were short-handed when demand hit.

A delivery logjam further stressed supply as grain deliveries tied up rail cars and truck drivers continue to be in short supply.

Having cut back in the spring, mills raced just as hard to capture the buying interest, adding shifts and hiring workers in the fall. Plants headed for being mothballed were spun up again as quickly as possible.

Lumber usually has a two-week delivery time frame and some customers are just now getting wood they ordered 4 to 6 weeks ago. The breakthrough in deliveries has helped fuel the dropoff in prices.

There wasn’t much building going on during COVID.  Most of the projects around Vancouver were put on hold.  That had nothing to do with a shortage of lumber.  So mills shutting down or cutting back was to be expected as developers and builders also cut back on production.

I’m sure if you went to Home Depot during COVID lots of items weren’t in stock, not just lumber.  Supply chain issues definitely had an impact as well on all consumer goods.  I’m pretty sure the price of lumber went up just like everything else.  I mean the price of my sushi dinners also doubled in price, but I don’t think that had anything to do with a shortage of fish…

Edited by Elias Pettersson

17 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

No, it isn't. It's child abuse and is disgusting. 

How about you worry about your kids and let me worry about mine. It is none of your business. 

Edited by Spur1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

But what the Cons will do is sell whatever public land they have (Greenbelt style) for private development.  Poilievre has promised to do so (ignoring treaty laws, environmental impact, and just the overall prohibitive conversion costs.  It is like the equivalent of cutting down an ancient forest and letting an American company throw down housing, with zero urban planning.

38 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My friend builds houses for a living. I’m also heavily involved in the real estate industry. 

I may be slow but I’m starting to connect the dots…

Petey has been the drum major for the PP parade for a while now, also on record wanting to remove land from the ALR. Hmmmm…am I getting warm Petey? 🤔

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I just have a utility trailer I can tow with my car. I can pick up plywood, take gear camping etc. No need for a truck.

Nothing wrong with being a connoisseur 😜

The "average person" should realize that a global pandemic, supply chain issues, wars, an aging population, corporate profiteering, increasing climate change extreme weather events etc were ALWAYS going to make this a difficult time, regardless of who was in power.

Dealing with said difficult times gets harder for "average people" under a conservative government, not easier.

If you read the article that I posted it said that Generation Z don’t trust politicians.  So they are much smarter than people give them credit for.  They aren’t about to listen to all the bullshit that is told to them through the biased media and the same politicians pushing the same bullshit on a daily basis.

At the end of the day, it seems many people want a change.  So instead of people in this thread calling them uniformed, not very smart, or just plain ignorant, maybe we should actually listen and pay attention to the young people who are the future of this country…

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If you read the article that I posted it said that Generation Z don’t trust politicians.  So they are much smarter than people give them credit for.  They aren’t about to listen to all the bullshit that is told to them through the biased media and the same politicians pushing the same bullshit on a daily basis.

At the end of the day, it seems many people want a change.  So instead of people in this thread calling them uniformed, not very smart, or just plain ignorant, maybe we should actually listen and pay attention to the young people who are the future of this country…

Lol…like not trusting politicians is new. It has been that way for centuries. 

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There wasn’t much building going on during COVID.  Most of the projects around Vancouver were put on hold.  That had nothing to do with a shortage of lumber.  So mills shutting down or cutting back was to be expected as developers and builders also cut back on production.

I’m sure if you went to Home Depot during COVID lots of items weren’t in stock, not just lumber.  Supply chain issues definitely had an impact as well on all consumer goods.  I’m pretty sure the price of lumber went up just like everything else.  I mean the price of my sushi dinners also doubled in price, but I don’t think that had anything to do with a shortage of fish…

Every single article I’ve posted said the same thing and cited lumber shortages as well as supply chain, shuttered mills, employee shortages. If the lumber isn’t available in the store or at the job site it’s a shortage. Just because the trees are still in the forest or the fish for your sushi is in the sea doesn’t mean there’s no shortage. If it’s not on shelves or in your restaurant there’s a shortage.

By the way your sushi would have had to nearly triple in price. A thousand board feet of dimensional lumber went from $550 to nearly $1400.

Prices peaked in May of 2021 at nearly $1,700 per 1,000 board feet (mbf) and have since dropped about 62 per cent

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Spur1 said:

Lol…like not trusting politicians is new. It has been that way for centuries. 

This is true.  Which is why I’m so fascinated that Trudeau doesn’t get the flack in this thread that normally happens in the real world.  I literally don’t even know one person in the real world who is going to be voting for Trudeau in the next election.  Even my brother in law whose favourite politician was Pierre Sr. and who’s been voting liberal all of his life told me hates Justin’s guts…

55 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My friend builds houses for a living. I’m also heavily involved in the real estate industry.  Lumber prices have indeed escalated over the last 3 years.  However, nobody ever told me they ran out of lumber or that there was a shortage.

Also, a large reason why costs have increased for builders is because of city bylaw changes. Previously, you were able to build a house using 2x4’s.  Now depending on where you build, you need to use 2x8’s.  That alone has increased costs by 20%.  

I'd be interested to see those bylaws and which municipalities wrote them....

I too know several builders (used to work for some of them) and I've never seen 2x8 framing for a house. 2x8's are used for joists, and you've never been allowed to use 2x4s for joists, so you're story doesn't make much sense to me.

4 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/transgender-top-surgery-canadian-children

Concerns have been raised about mastectomies in teens when uncertainties exist about long-term health effects and the possibility of regret

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-lgbt-transgender-trfn-idUSKBN27U0PZ/

A Canadian woman fighting a legal battle with doctors to prevent her 17-year-old transgender child from undergoing a double mastectomy has fuelled an ongoing global debate about whether adolescents should be able to decide to change gender.

he mother, from Vancouver, said the surgery was "unnecessary" and her child had been influenced by "propaganda" in school, a fad, and "brainwashing" by the media.
"Before she learned it at school, she never questioned her identity," she told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

That's not happening 

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hey, I'm so for positive change. That's not the Conservatives.

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I too know several builders (used to work for some of them) and I've never seen 2x8 framing for a house. 2x8's are used for joists, and you've never been allowed to use 2x4s for joists, so you're story doesn't make much sense to me.

Maybe they meant 2x6?

14 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Exactly. Unless there is a law stopping them from drinking or smoking, right? 

There is no law stopping them from smoking and drinking. Only a law preventing them from buying alcohol and cigarettes. 

8 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Sorry, yeah I meant 2x6.  Richmond and Maple Ridge changed their bylaws.  That’s where my friend built his houses.  I believe Vancouver has changed as well…

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sorry, yeah I meant 2x6.  Richmond and Maple Ridge changed their bylaws.  That’s where my friend built his houses.  I believe Vancouver has changed as well…

You mentioned that there wasn’t much home building going on during Covid and that is certainly true for 2020 but there was a record number of housing starts in 2021 in BC when lumber supply issues were at their peak

https://www.statista.com/statistics/198076/total-number-of-housing-starts-in-british-columbia-since-1995/

IMG_0940.jpeg

18 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Maybe they meant 2x6?

Last time I checked the BC Building code, if you use 2x6s, you can also use 24" centers, so that would offset a lot of the extra cost.....

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Last time I checked the BC Building code, if you use 2x6s, you can also use 24" centers, so that would offset a lot of the extra cost.....

There's a few reasons you wouldn't want to use 24 OCs on 2x6, one being they are more flexible than 2x4s, also insulation efficiency. I wouldn't build my own home like that. 

21 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

You mentioned that there wasn’t much home building going on during Covid and that is certainly true for 2020 but there was a record number of housing starts in 2021 in BC when lumber supply issues were at their peak

https://www.statista.com/statistics/198076/total-number-of-housing-starts-in-british-columbia-since-1995/

IMG_0940.jpeg

Housing starts didn’t increase until later on in 2021.  Probably linked to people getting vaccinated.  Here are the housing starts stats from September 2021:

Canadian housing starts declined for the fourth consecutive month in September, but remain strong compared to typical pre-pandemic activity. Housing starts decreased by 11.6k to 251.2k units (-4.4% m/m) in September at a seasonally-adjusted annual rate (SAAR). Comparing year-over-year, starts were up significantly from September of 2020 (20.1% y/y). Single-detached housing starts dipped 5% in September to 76.7k, while multi-family and others declined 4% to 174.4k (SAAR). 

In British Columbia, starts declined for a third consecutive month, dropping sharply by 23.7% m/m to 35.9k units SAAR in all areas of the province. Single-detached starts rose 9.6% m/m to 7.9k units while multi-family starts offset this growth with a 32.5% decline to 23.7k units. Despite this, starts in the province remained 11% above the levels from September 2020. BC's six-month moving average for starts declined sharply following three months of gains. 

Housing starts in 2021 were stronger obviously than in 2020, however overall things really didn’t pick up until after the summer.

• Thanks 1