Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, 5forFighting said:

Why wouldn't you believe them if they said they were a pirate? 

One is play fantasy.

The other is a serious discussion on their identity and part of growing up.

Equating them only invalidates and marginalizes a vulnerable part of the population. A population mind you that has historically been the first red flag for extremist groups seeking to target the rights of others next (trans->lgbt->minorities->women)

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Last time I checked the BC Building code, if you use 2x6s, you can also use 24" centers, so that would offset a lot of the extra cost.....

From my friend who builds houses for a living:

Most cities. 
Under the new code. Some cities have gone to 2 by 8.  
Vancouver and Richmond.
This is the new energy efficiency step code.

16 inches is structurally relevant.

I was actually correct. In Richmond and Maple Ridge 2x8 is now mandatory under the new municipality code.  2x6 is still the minimum requirement under the BC building code. 

The reason municipalities are changing to 2x8 is to allow the thicker insulation to get to R24 and R60 to maximize efficiency. The goal is to get to 100% energy efficiency so eventually all municipalities will switch to 2x8 framing. Unfortunately by using 2x8 this will reduce the square footage of the house. So that is the major drawback. 

Centres only need to be 16” to be structurally relevant. 

So, I take it all back Rupert. Next time I’ll double check my info before I post. 

IMG_0127.gif

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Memes you make to shit on an entire section of the population bad

memes posted to point out how stupid statements made to defend that denigration acceptable.

Better?

Here's your words:

Ah yes memes.  The last bastion of the uneducated and ignorant.

I guess we're both uneducated and ignorant. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Most cities. 
Vancouver and Richmond.

I was actually correct. In Richmond and Maple Ridge 2x8 is now mandatory under the new municipality code.  2x6 is still the minimum requirement under the BC building code. 

The reason municipalities are changing to 2x8 is to allow the thicker insulation to get to R24 and R60 to maximize efficiency. The goal

is to get to 100% energy efficiency so eventually all municipalities will switch to 2x8 framing. Unfortunately by using 2x8 this will reduce the square footage of the house. So that is the major drawback. 

So, I take it all back Rupert. Next time I’ll double check my info before I post. 

IMG_0127.gif

No skin in this game. I just appreciate the insights into lumber here.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

One is play fantasy.

The other is a serious discussion on their identity and part of growing up.

Equating them only invalidates and marginalizes a vulnerable part of the population. A population mind you that has historically been the first red flag for extremist groups seeking to target the rights of others next (trans->lgbt->minorities->women)

So you can determine what decision a child is being serious about and one they are not? 

1 minute ago, 5forFighting said:

Here's your words:

Ah yes memes.  The last bastion of the uneducated and ignorant.

I guess we're both uneducated and ignorant. 

You'd be hard pressed to find any sort of statement where I suggested I was mature, smart or anything less than angry or childish my dude

Just now, 5forFighting said:

So you can determine what decision a child is being serious about and one they are not? 

No, that is what doctors, medical professionals and therapists are for.  You know, ALL of the professionals one has to go through before even being considered for any level of gender affirming care

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Yes. The average adult can you know differentiate. One is a serious conversation you sit down and guide your kids on. Like dating and learning about the birds and the bees. Or teaching them how to stand up to bullies. Pirate is where you dig up the old Halloween costume and plan a themed birthday with their friends

And if they're still serious about their gender once they reach the legal age to do so. You consult the experts in every arena. Doctors. Mental health experts. Schools. Etc..it's a huge decision not something as casual as make believe pirates

If you're inferring that the average adult can't tell the difference between  a kid playing pirate and a kid thinking they may be lgbt....

Your solution then is to strengthen the "parents rights" of the folks who would chop off little timmys leg if he said he was a pirate because they don't know any better? 

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No, that is what doctors, medical professionals and therapists are for.  You know, ALL of the professionals one has to go through before even being considered for any level of gender affirming care

I'm mostly just lurking out of boredom but this is incorrect. 

Your family doctor (and in Washington state where I live, your NATUROPATH) can start you on gender affirming hormone therapy at their discretion. No therapy or plan required.

• Like 1

It's a dog wearing a turkey costume.

So what?

What is the insinuation here?

Only real men know what's going on.  Clowns do not.   The debate as to who is who continues....

It's a dog wearing a turkey costume.

So what?

What is the insinuation here?

It's on the same level as what an associate I knew from Russia once asked me.

"I'll never understand why some people choose to be gay."

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Most cities. 
Vancouver and Richmond.

The reason municipalities are changing to 2x8 is to allow the thicker insulation to get to R24 and R60 to maximize efficiency. The goal is to get to 100% energy efficiency so eventually all municipalities will switch to 2x8 framing. Unfortunately by using 2x8 this will reduce the square footage of the house. So that is the major drawback. 

IMG_0127.gif

I'd love to see the documentation on that.

There are several houses going up where I live and none of them are using 2x8 framing. It sounds ridiculously expensive to me....

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Most cities. 
Vancouver and Richmond.

IMG_0127.gif

I'm surprised 2x6 is minimum requirement for most of BC? 

I heard if you have a layer of ridgid insolation then 2x4 are still ok. It's about the insulation clause. And, what about sip panels? I guess they are complely different ( see Aux box co) However, I have been out of the game for a bit now and am talking about Van Isl. 

I knew one of the owners of Heatherbrae ( you should know that big company) a while back. He did say that some of the building requirements were turning him off from Vancouver, but that was back in 2018..

I thought the discussion was about lumber shortages in general? 

During covid everything was expensve and there was no stock. Even shit lumber.... we would use 1x8 fir cladding for some of our farm shelters.... We had to mill alot oursleves due to not being able to buy. Our local used place ' Demex' was even hoarding used lifts to resell. And forget about big beams, we milled all of them. 

My nephew that owns the company I worked for was going nuts during this time. He could not get products. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Maybe, just maybe, the science supporting hormones that lead to infertility and child mutilation should be studied for a LONG time before we just let the children do it. 

Why aren't there more adults looking to take part in all these programs and just so many children? 

There are more and more stories coming out every day of children saying they made a mistake and there will be more and more in the years to come as these children age. 

We make laws to keep children from doing stupid things to themselves, probably a good idea to do it here as well. 

Likely because children are much more easily influenced and much more likely to come to false conclusions.

The younger generation is being told by many that if they aren't happy with their body, they should change it (which is the opposite of what we often tell our kids). And how many kids are happy with their body? Teenage girls in particular, I'm sure we're all aware how common that is for them to unhappy with their body.

It's understandable that people want to protect and help those who need it, but there is an offsetting cost that is harmful to many others, leading them down a path that ultimately wasn't for them. This group is almost always ignored unfortunately, and that is very concerning.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

I'm mostly just lurking out of boredom but this is incorrect. 

Your family doctor (and in Washington state where I live, your NATUROPATH) can start you on gender affirming hormone therapy at their discretion. No therapy or plan required.

You should see Ontario. 

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

I find this pirate, dolphin, corvette stuff so dumb I do not wish to even consider it.

reminds me of the "if men can marry men, what will stop them from marrying their dogs?" argument of yesteryear. 

it is absurd. As absurd as D "Bag" Smith passing a law banning gender re-assignment surgery for minors in Alberta: where not one minor has ever nor would ever receive Gender Re-assignment surgery. Not sure how the law effects natural born hermaphrodites though, i didn't bother to look into the absurdity any further than the cursory absurdness of it at face value. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, 5forFighting said:

Does the kid need to see a therapist before taking diabetes medicine? If not, why not?

No, they need to see aa doctor. Same as getting hormone blockers. You keep presenting this argument like the doctors are just handing out the medication without serious consideration.