Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

Yes. The average adult can you know differentiate. One is a serious conversation you sit down and guide your kids on. Like dating and learning about the birds and the bees. Or teaching them how to stand up to bullies. Pirate is where you dig up the old Halloween costume and plan a themed birthday with their friends

And if they're still serious about their gender once they reach the legal age to do so. You consult the experts in every arena. Doctors. Mental health experts. Schools. Etc..it's a huge decision not something as casual as make believe pirates

If you're inferring that the average adult can't tell the difference between  a kid playing pirate and a kid thinking they may be lgbt....

Your solution then is to strengthen the "parents rights" of the folks who would chop off little timmys leg if he said he was a pirate because they don't know any better? 

I don't think the connection is so much about being a pirate in particular, but rather if we wouldn't remove a child's leg, should a child be able to remove breasts, or other body parts if fully healthy? Granted, the latter is rare, but if kids are being told that that is a good solution, then they'd be more likely to do it as an adult. To be clear, I'm not saying schools are sending that message, but this is often encouraged on social media.

If we reach a point where prosthetic limbs are more accessible/viable for people, would we be fine with people replacing healthy body parts such as a leg/foot//hands/etc, or even encourage it? Whether it is/isn't based in sexuality? While it isn't exactly the same, that may become a more common talking point down the road.

32 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Some of it is choice, obviously. 

I think this comment will take a lot of flak, but there is the scenario of a woman becoming a man to then date a man, thus being in a gay relationship.

Not common, but that sounds like a choice.

4 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I think this comment will take a lot of flak, but there is the scenario of a woman becoming a man to then date a man, thus being in a gay relationship.

Not common, but that sounds like a choice.

It only takes flak because they don't want to admit it is a choice for some, obviously.

1 minute ago, 5forFighting said:

Man and woman married for 30 years, one decides to switch teams. Explain.

I worked with a guy who had two kids and then 'switched teams'.  He told me he was always gay but was afraid to admit it.  Plus this guy absolutely loved kids.

Years ago I worked with another guy with a similar story though no kids.  

You mention 30 years.  30+ years ago it was a bit harder to come out than it is today.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Sounds to me like one was always gay and took a long time to realize it, or admit it to themselves.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

It only takes flak because they don't want to admit it is a choice for some, obviously.

Why should anyone admit to something they do not believe to be true?   (apart from those prisoners I mentioned.)

12 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Only a choice for some? Why isn't it a choice for everyone? 

One does not choose to be gay. One does, however, choose to be homophobic.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

20 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

One is either homo- or bisexual. If homosexual, they were living in the closet. What's hard to get?

• Cheers 2

This all reminds me when people used to get their hands whacked by the nuns because they were "devil-touched" (left-handed), and there were those who didn't understand why they didn't just choose to be "godly" right-handed folk.......

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

So you believe that people choose to be gay or trans. Did you choose to be straight?

If anything, his posts imply he's LGBT. If he can envision someone "choosing" to "switch sides," he doesn't understand how most people would feel at the prospect of a homosexual relationship for themselves.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, 5forFighting said:

It can be. You can choose to have sex with men or women. 

So being gay isn't something in the brain; it's something that you do?

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

This is a smart play for the NDP.  They can get electoral reform done or basically doom the Libs to a decade of irrelevance.  The irony for the libs is that if they push against it, they'll lose seats.  If they approve and move forward with it, they might actually hold on to power

Yep. I hope that the NDP will reconsider their stance on ranked ballot, if they do that I think it's a go.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I worked with a guy who had two kids and then 'switched teams'.  He told me he was always gay but was afraid to admit it.  Plus this guy absolutely loved kids.

Years ago I worked with another guy with a similar story though no kids.  

You mention 30 years.  30+ years ago it was a bit harder to come out than it is today.

Good thing their parents didn't cut their genitals off or give them hormone blockers if they had said something earlier. 

I try not to talk about the psychology behind transgender people, because I am not a Psychiatrist nor am a Transgendered person. 

Adults augment their bodies all the time, not sure why when it is a naughty bit suddenly it is everyone elses business, but at the same time I am not sure if Dawkins thoughts on the subject aren't corrent either. I don't know is my official position and so; carry on adults and do what you will without harming any others. (thus should be the whole of the law)

• Thanks 1