Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

If you think you can catch 'gay' then you might be a bit gay...

And if you think being gay is a choice....why would so many choose to be gay when they have so much anger, bigotry, and persecution towards them?

No matter how many times I hear this song, it makes me feel emotional. 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I want to keep the discussion going based on Politics but I have to warn everyone here that you ensure you’re not disparaging people of any genders or those of other gender identities that don’t conform with your particular identity. 

Carry on, but be forewarned. 

The last few pages aren't fit for 4chan. 

1 minute ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

The last few pages aren't fit for 4chan. 

Thanks for bringing up that quote actually. Even though I know it's not directed at me (and that I'm on the defending side) I best make sure I don't draw a line myself.

17 minutes ago, The Lock said:

What if he is? Does that matter?

I mean, 5forfighting is clearly pushing homophobic talking points, but if someone goes through an entire marriage only to come out 30 years in and start dating the other sex, then that's morally questionable. It does happen and greatly affects the other person in the marriage. But I'm not sure that's where he was going.

Just now, 112 said:

I mean, 5forfighting is clearly pushing homophobic talking points, but if someone goes through an entire marriage only to come out 30 years in and start dating the other sex, then that's morally questionable. It does happen and greatly affects the other person in the marriage. But I'm not sure that's where he was going.

If could greatly affect the other person, or the other person ends up understanding which I've seen happen a lot. You can't just blanket the other person in the marriage as always having a single reaction to it. That's just unrealistic.

Just now, The Lock said:

If could greatly affect the other person, or the other person ends up understanding which I've seen happen a lot. You can't just blanket the other person in the marriage as always having a single reaction to it. That's just unrealistic.

Oh for sure. It can also tear the person apart, though.

I think, at the end of the day, if being gay were a choice, it still wouldn't matter that some people "choose" to be gay, and I just wish this was something we could all agree on.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm lucky to have been in Vancouver gay clubs and bars hundreds of times.

Memories that I cherish as I now live remote. So many amazing personalities and a sense of community. Everyone without hate is welcome, come as you are.

There was actually a long time where the gay bar in Prince George was the only good bar to go to. Didn't matter if you were gay or straight, everyone went.

They kind of messed up their reputation though during Covid when they stayed open on certain nights against the government's regulations.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Gurn said:

a friend and I, after a concert at Roger's went for a long, burn off some energy, walk.

Stop into a bar and order a beer a piece, waiter  says " Oh, you are buying him a beer?"

sounded a bit strange, as questions go.

I take a look around, at some of the artwork, then the cliental, and  say to my buddy " I'm reasonably sure we are on Davies street."

Yep. Gay bar.

Ordered another beer,  drank them, then went back to walking.

did like the fact that nobody cared that a couple of 'straights' were in the place, everybody just minding their own business.

world be a better place if more people could just do the same.

Brother when I was younger in those years of misspent youth I have talked about, there were groups of young assholes that used to go " poofter " bashing.

They are another group of guys we used to love to run into and " teach " them the error of their ways.

Anyway there was this bar called Bojangles, it stayed open a few hours later than any other bars at the time.

It was different from today where there are 24 hour bars

Lots of transgender and drag queens used to hang out there, it was Melbourne's first drag venue.

We used to go and and a few of the trans ladies used to chat us up and buy us drinks.

It was such a cool place.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

There was actually a long time where the gay bar in Prince George was the only good bar to go to. Didn't matter if you were gay or straight, everyone went.

They kind of messed up their reputation though during Covid when they stayed open on certain nights against the government's regulations.

In my experience , banter in a gay bar is some of the funniest stuff you will ever hear. Great environments. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 112 said:

Oh for sure. It can also tear the person apart, though.

I think, at the end of the day, if being gay were a choice, it still wouldn't matter that some people "choose" to be gay, and I just wish this was something we could all agree on.

Yeah, I guess I have perhaps a unique (or not unique?) way of looking at things where there's a lot of reasons why marriages fail even without someone coming out as gay. So I guess I question whether that's really that big of an issue compared to other issues such as cheating.

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

In my experience , banter in a gay bar is some of the funniest stuff you will ever hear. Great environments. 

Yeah it really was a great environment. Still around too even after they got closed down.

Advertised themselves suddenly as a country music club after being closed down... with literally everything the same... including the music which mostly wasn't country....

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

Feel free to look it up if you like. 

So you don't know. You had made a statement like you had information. I think you have a perception based on the social climate but you don't have any data.  

I share your general concern, that nobody under age 18 should be able to access experimental surgery or hormone treatment without rigorous psychological examination and regular therapy. But that's my opinion. I currently have no outcome data to back up my opinion as a fact. I crafted that opinion based on my values and understanding of adolescent psychology.

I think your mistake is that you are claiming your opinion as fact, without providing any evidence towards your claims. That's just bad debate and won't win anyone over to your side.

Ultimately I'm not even sure there is good outcome data on this question right now. The phenomena (on this scale) is so new that we might need to wait years before we can establish a good analysis of whether gender affirming care does more harm than good.

5 hours ago, Satchmo said:

I won't slag you for being a bit late to the party but I will question the driving analogy for being a bit weak.

And aside from being weak, it's also perpetrating the trope that women somehow don't like to (or don't want to) drive.  :classic_rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Ah yes.  Nothing like " needing more time"

90+ years isn't long enough

How long has gender-affirming treatment been around?

Gender-affirmation surgery has been performed since 1931 and is shown to increase quality of life in transgender patients, with 91 percent of transgender female patients reporting improved quality of life after vaginoplasty.

An acquaintence of mine had their surgery done when they were in their late 20s.  I'm sure they considered it for quite some time before they (1) came out, and (2) decided to take action, given the prevailing attitudes and internal deliberations they'd had in their youth and after their graduation from university.

5 hours ago, DSVII said:

Correct me if im wrong , but I'm reading this as you equating a kid questioning and/or discovering their sexuality/gender on the same level as another kid thinking they want to play pirates? 

Simple minds can only draw simple comparisons.  Typical for those who are tunnel-visioned and dogmatically stubborn in their view of hte world.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm lucky to have been in Vancouver gay clubs and bars hundreds of times.

Memories that I cherish as I now live remote. So many amazing personalities and a sense of community. Everyone without hate is welcome, come as you are.

Our little group of friends included a couple gay people and this was back in the late 70's early 80's when people were very homophobic.  Two of the best people I still know today.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Again....I'd love to see the documentation. I looked and wasn't able to find any reference to 2x6's being a requirement for framing.

Not that I doubt your friend's word, but I want to make sure before I do any building around my place.

BC has a new Zero Carbon Step Code which launched on May 1, 2023.  It’s now a part of the BC Building Code.

In order to meet Step 3 of that code, you need a minimum R22 batt insulation.  The only way to install that insulation is with 2x6 studs. Richmond is already at Step 5, which is why they require 2x8 studs…

EDIT: R22 is 5.5” thick so I think you can still use it with 2x4’s.  My friend uses R24 which is 6” thick for his 2x6’s…

https://www.homestep.ca/step-code-3-requirements?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIocjM5tGQhAMVywitBh3z3gf0EAMYASAAEgIyt_D_Bw

IMG_0932.png

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In order to meet Step 3 of that code, you need a minimum R22 batt insulation.  The only way to install that installation is with 2x6 studs. Richmond is already at Step 5, which is why they require 2x8 studs…

EDIT: R22 is 5.5” thick so I think you can still use it with 2x4’s.  My friend uses R24 which is 6” thick for his 2x6’s…

https://www.homestep.ca/step-code-3-requirements?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIocjM5tGQhAMVywitBh3z3gf0EAMYASAAEgIyt_D_Bw

I think this is where Bishop's point about the rigid insulation comes in. 2" styrofoam board is R-10, so you could get away with 2x4s and R-12 / R-16.....

I'd have to price it all out, but it seems to me this would still be cheaper than 2x6 framing. Also, it appears as though this is for exterior walls, so I'm assuming 2x4 framing would still be okay for interior walls....

• Cheers 1

Consider the fact that this protest is happening in Calgary.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/braid-fury-at-smith-s-new-transgender-rules-sparks-giant-city-hall-protest/ar-BB1hLfHU?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=1235ad0a1669493787fdc7dc8e0f3037&ei=109

At Saturday’s huge Calgary city hall rally, I saw gay and transgender kids, their parents and friends, several cute dogs, forests of makeshift signs, and some tough dudes who looked like they’d just loped out of a Longview bar, but carried rainbow flags.

The vast crowd  packed the vast concrete space outside the entry to city hall, along the whole south-north length of the building.

These are the folks Premier Danielle Smith says she’s lovingly helping with her new rules on gender transition, sex education and transgender athletes in sport.

Universally, they don’t think she’s helping. They believe she is their enemy. They find her new rules both insulting and menacing.

Parents I spoke to, who have seen their children’s pain while coming out or going through gender transition, are furious at how the provincial government has put their offspring in the spotlight yet again.

“Parents don’t need protection, kids do,” said one sign, summing up the feeling that Smith is catering to a minority of parents who think teachers and schools are actively corrupting their children.

Hmmm....that last paragraph reminds me of someone.....

• Cheers 2
  • chaos 1