Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

47 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The single largest purchasing period in canadian history was around or between mid 2018 and early 2020.

A lot of those 5 year terms are just coming due now.  

It will really start to hurt over the next 6-7 months IMO

The people in that category have enough equity to pay off personal debt. It’s the people after that. 

10 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Like I just explained in my post to war hippy it’s the environment. Forget about the inflation for a second and think about the landscape we have to absorb this. We transitioned from a petro dollar with home equity to replace it. 
forget even about oil for a second. Electric cars need batteries. Why aren’t Nickel or cobalt mines firing up? Or any other mines related to batteries. It’s because permits and royalties and carbon taxes have made it hard to invest, the CAD has no purchasing power so you can’t invest within and foreign investors have better places to spent their money. 
When this unravels it’s going to be his legacy. 

I'm confused, have we abandoned fossil fuels.  Last I checked the federal govt spent a tidy sum on a pipeline, no?  I'm not so sure I'd say that home equity has supplanted petroleum as the foundation of our economy 

That's pure speculation.........I think Canada is in trouble, but it's because of demographics and a highly skilled, shrinking work force.  We are no.longer the US bff.  Still, we will continue to be one of the best economies in the world and one of the best places to live.

All those with this weird hatred of JT ignore the reality that much of the G20 is in much worse shape than were in and as long as we're friendly neighbors with the US, everything is going to be fine.

48 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Electric cars need batteries. Why aren’t Nickel or cobalt mines firing up? Or any other mines related to batteries. It’s because permits and royalties and carbon taxes have made it hard to invest, the CAD has no purchasing power so you can’t invest within and foreign investors have better places to spent their money. 

Good news.

IMG_9598.jpeg

IMG_9597.jpeg

IMG_9596.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm confused, have we abandoned fossil fuels.  Last I checked the federal govt spent a tidy sum on a pipeline, no?  I'm not so sure I'd say that home equity has supplanted petroleum as the foundation of our economy 

That's pure speculation.........I think Canada is in trouble, but it's because of demographics and a highly skilled, shrinking work force.  We are no.longer the US bff.  Still, we will continue to be one of the best economies in the world and one of the best places to live.

All those with this weird hatred of JT ignore the reality that much of the G20 is in much worse shape than were in and as long as we're friendly neighbors with the US, everything is going to be fine.

it’s more about what we have in our dollar. When you buy a CAD what did you buy? 
What metric are you referring to? Inflation? Remember that Europe has higher energy prices because their energy is tied to Russia and the Brent oil market completely separate from ours. Higher energy makes all goods more expensive. Come on man. 
The Canadian energy sector is in shambles. it’s probably 25% of its peak size. 
transitioning to green energy is inevitable but when your countries currency is tied to oil wealth and you tell everyone to vote for you cause you’ll stop global warming you better have a solid plan. 
To their defence, legalized cannabis was a fantastic idea. However, they also decriminalized growing it. So a very large percentage of life long weed smokers don’t use dispensaries anyway. They don’t have the control they could’ve had. It should have been 100% government controlled. 
Other than weed, they haven’t replaced really had any other source of revenue to replace petro. 
Technology will make up for a lost workforce. 

I don't have time to dig up facts. You can make fun of me and call me a typical dumb conservative I don't care.

The proof is in the pudding. He is by far the worst pm in Canadian history.

Polievre will have a majority government mark my words. I know so many liberals who are changing parties. Scandal after scandal, SNC, JWR, I wonder why Sofie left him... 

JT is done. I didn't even know he still had supporters, especially in western Canada... until I came to CDC off topic.. interesting lol

5 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

I don't have time to dig up facts. You can make fun of me and call me a typical dumb conservative I don't care.

Polievre will have a majority government mark my words. I know so many liberals who are changing parties. Scandal after scandal, SNC, JWR, I wonder why Sofie left him... 

JT is done. I didn't even know he still had supporters, especially in western Canada... until I came to CDC off topic.. interesting lol

I have to agree it seems like the tides are turning this way amongst my normie friends aswell. 

Since I've become politically 'mature' (last 5-7 years) I've considered Canada a progressive/collectivist country but I do wonder if the tides are turning towards something different.

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

There aren't many other tools as effective tho 

Jimmy? Is that you??

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

There won't be a majority at all, I could see cons winning a minority though but there's enough liberals and ndp and bloc voters that cons would never garner enough ridings to get a majority. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Breadnbutta said:

Old Alf has several conservative values. I think, as we get older, we all lean to conservative values. But that doesn’t mean we will vote for the Conservative Party. Maybe more people would consider the Conservative Party is their leader wasn’t Pepe Le Pew? 

F45B5314-E12E-41C1-ABBA-24EEAD257D8C.gif

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Old Alf has several conservative values. I think, as we get older, we all lean to conservative values. But that doesn’t mean we will vote for the Conservative Party. Maybe more people would consider the Conservative Party is their leader wasn’t Pepe Le Pew? 

F45B5314-E12E-41C1-ABBA-24EEAD257D8C.gif

I personally am a huge fan. He speaks eloquently. He talks about actual problems facing Canadians and how he will try to tackle them.

If he is PePe Le Pew than JT is tweety bird.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

I personally am a huge fan. He speaks eloquently. He talks about actual problems facing Canadians and how he will try to tackle them.

You didn't answer a single question I asked you.  That's telling.

See when people make absolute statements, like yourself has; then ignores any questions or requests to speak of those absolutes.

It usually means the person has nothing behind them to back up their statements.

So for me, to say Poiliverre is eloquent when the truth is, all he does is tell about hot button topics without any actual plan is a red flag.

I pay a lot of attention and thus far aside from anger there's been nothing eloquent to speak of.  He still has never held a job.  Still has no idea what people are going through and in all honesty turned his back on his entire belief system for some power.

Sorry mate.  Not gonna fly here.  He wants to PM.  He needs to be better than just bring an angry version of Trudeau 

I still can't find the Conservative defense plan. According to that pamphlet they're are going to build up home defense and strengthen  our alliances.

"We are going to do this"   ok so how?

Exactly how?

And why didn't Harper do it while in power?

How can the Conservative party even moan a bit ,about this part of Canadian government responsibility, when JT's liberals are spending more GDP on the military than Harper ever did? Especially if they aren't going to be specific.

Conservative party:

"We are going to make it all sunshine and lollipops"

Me and many others:

" great, so where are you getting the lollipops and what flavours are they?

Also what are you going to do when it gets dark, at night?"

specifics please.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

See when people make absolute statements, like yourself has; then ignores any questions or requests to speak of those absolutes.

It usually means the person has nothing behind them to back up their statements.

So for me, to say Poiliverre is eloquent when the truth is, all he does is tell about hot button topics without any actual plan is a red flag.

I pay a lot of attention and thus far aside from anger there's been nothing eloquent to speak of.  He still has never held a job.  Still has no idea what people are going through and in all honesty turned his back on his entire belief system for some power.

Sorry mate.  Not gonna fly here.  He wants to PM.  He needs to be better than just bring an angry version of Trudeau 

The job part intrigues me, wasn’t Andrew Scheer almost an insurance salesman? If this is the best the Cons can do, oh boy! But, attacking points get the far right base of that party all riled up, so there’s that.

41 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

When we had a summer home in NS our neighbor was Bernadette Jordan. She became the MP for the South Shore riding. She was a basic, down to earth person. Hung her laundry out to dry and such. She was a Liberal Party candidate and MP. 
We really don’t know these politicians unless we actually get to know them on a personal level. So we need to understand their policies to better understand who they are. PP (Pepe) made some choices that were very bad. The guy supported the crazy anti vaxxers. His past actions will certainly harm many other Con candidates’ chances. A great many Canadians are more like Bernadette Jordan. Just average folk. Most of whom think the whole anti vaxxer people caused trouble and made things more difficult. PP is forever connected to that. 

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When we had a summer home in NS our neighbor was Bernadette Jordan. She became the MP for the South Shore riding. She was a basic, down to earth person. Hung her laundry out to dry and such. She was a Liberal Party candidate and MP. 
We really don’t know these politicians unless we actually get to know them on a personal level. So we need to understand their policies to better understand who they are. PP (Pepe) made some choices that were very bad. The guy supported the crazy anti vaxxers. His past actions will certainly harm many other Con candidates’ chances. A great many Canadians are more like Bernadette Jordan. Just average folk. Most of whom think the whole anti vaxxer people caused trouble and made things more difficult. PP is forever connected to that. 

the worst part is, they try to convince us that pandering to the convoy leaders is equivalent to just "listening to folks" at coffee row. Just good old regular people. 

It's really a dangerous thing when we normalize extremists, and celebrate a lack of common sense. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Like I just explained in my post to war hippy it’s the environment. Forget about the inflation for a second and think about the landscape we have to absorb this. We transitioned from a petro dollar with home equity to replace it. 
forget even about oil for a second. Electric cars need batteries. Why aren’t Nickel or cobalt mines firing up? Or any other mines related to batteries. It’s because permits and royalties and carbon taxes have made it hard to invest, the CAD has no purchasing power so you can’t invest within and foreign investors have better places to spent their money. 

its interesting tho that the Mining Association of Canada supports carbon pricing:https://www.canadianminingjournal.com/news/carbon-mac-supports-carbon-pricing/

There's a lot of work to show a carbon tax actually helps mining at the end of the day. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its interesting tho that the Mining Association of Canada supports carbon pricing:https://www.canadianminingjournal.com/news/carbon-mac-supports-carbon-pricing/

There's a lot of work to show a carbon tax actually helps mining at the end of the day. 

What?!?! Lol. 

you know how much fuel a mine uses?

also, this is a governing body over mining. This isn’t a mining company. 

Edited by LaBamba

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I don't need to answer any of your questions.

Don Cherry would be better than Trudeau.

Hell, Donald Trump would be.

I have no time for blind Trudeau supporters.

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why do we have to slam anti vaxxers? Aren't people entitled to their own opinions?

If your vaccinated what do you have to worry about?

Trudeau liberals have divided this country.