Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

15 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I think this is where Bishop's point about the rigid insulation comes in. 2" styrofoam board is R-10, so you could get away with 2x4s and R-12 / R-16.....

I'd have to price it all out, but it seems to me this would still be cheaper than 2x6 framing. Also, it appears as though this is for exterior walls, so I'm assuming 2x4 framing would still be okay for interior walls....

Just do 2x6's on exterior walls and insulate. The small'ish added cost in lumber is worth the extra R value, wind sheer resistance, noise reduction etc. If I was building I'd do that + something like insulated Zip sheathing personally, but I'm very much from the "if you're going to do something, do it right" school.

https://www.huberwood.com/zip-system/insulated-r-sheathing

Heck, I'd even look at framing exterior walls with thermal studs to further reduce thermal bridging:

https://www.thermalstuds.com/

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Consider the fact that this protest is happening in Calgary.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/braid-fury-at-smith-s-new-transgender-rules-sparks-giant-city-hall-protest/ar-BB1hLfHU?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=1235ad0a1669493787fdc7dc8e0f3037&ei=109

Hmmm....that last paragraph reminds me of someone.....

Except polling says otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

The Federal Government, under PM Trudeau, has extended the ban on foreign buyers of housing in Canada until at least 2027. Originally a two year ban implemented in 2022.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/foreign-housing-buying-ban-extended-1.7104533

This law needs to be monitored and possibly extended again and even possibly applied to corporate ownership 

If...IF we see a major housing crash we do not want to see a run in homes by corporations or foreign investors via corporate shell corps

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This law needs to be monitored and possibly extended again and even possibly applied to corporate ownership 

If...IF we see a major housing crash we do not want to see a run in homes by corporations or foreign investors via corporate shell corps

They are doing it now, they will do it then. BC needs that money more than anyone. Outside of wood, housing drives this economy. It could gas, nuclear etc but that would require a change in government. 

2 hours ago, 5forFighting said:

This poll is about informing parents about pronouns and has nothing to do with Smith's new bill.... Got one that addresses this?:

But under Smith’s new rules, this teacher won’t be able to mention sex, or conduct any class with the remotest connection to sex or gender, without full permission from parents

20 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I don’t see it as a matter of left or right  but rather human & legal rights. The law in BC is completely unambiguous regarding health care decisions for youth. If the youth meets certain conditions they, not the parents have final say about their own medical treatments. This is for all treatments not just gender reassignment; cancer treatment, blood transfusions, vaccinations - any procedures that a parent might not support for a variety of reasons but may be in a child’s best interest.

Your niece was deemed to be mature enough to make her own medical decisions. Sorry that she came to regret that decision but regrets aren’t limited to the young. Also as she had the surgery at 18 she was only a year away from age having nothing to do with it and not needing anyone’s consent or a doctor’s adjudication of maturity. My sister had breast augmentation at 19 and came to regret her decision as well. We all tried to talk her out of it but it was her decision and hers alone. 

https://bcmj.org/articles/legal-rights-transgender-youth-seeking-medical-care

ABSTRACT: Medical care providers have specific legal duties in relation to youth: to respect their human rights and to assess their capacity to consent to treatment. In AB v CD (2020), the BC Court of Appeal clarified the responsibilities of health care providers when their patient is under 19 years of age,[1] addressed how the Infants Act[2] and Family Law Act[3] apply in situations where youth and parents disagree about medical treatment.[4] The Court confirmed that under the law, health care providers, not parents, are responsible for two things: assessing the capacity of a minor patient to consent to a treatment and determining whether a treatment is in the best interest of that patient. Where a health care provider assesses a young person to be capable and concludes that the treatment is in their best interests, the young person alone has authority to consent to or refuse treatment. In providing health care to a youth, providers’ responsibilities are subject to the scrutiny of their professional bodies and human rights tribunals.

What the Science on Gender-Affirming Care for Transgender Kids Really Shows

Laws that ban gender-affirming treatment ignore the wealth of research demonstrating its benefits for trans people’s health

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-the-science-on-gender-affirming-care-for-transgender-kids-really-shows/

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

I think this is where Bishop's point about the rigid insulation comes in. 2" styrofoam board is R-10, so you could get away with 2x4s and R-12 / R-16.....

I'd have to price it all out, but it seems to me this would still be cheaper than 2x6 framing. Also, it appears as though this is for exterior walls, so I'm assuming 2x4 framing would still be okay for interior walls....

From my friend:

2x6 for  All structural walls, interior and exterior.
All other walls can be 2x4.
Only issue with 2x4 is it makes it hard to hide plumbing pipes around bathrooms.

If you are doing a home project and you’re not getting any permits then you can do what you want. If you need permits from the city then you’ll probably have to follow the new codes. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Most properties today are being purchased by local buyers or buyers that are overseas but are Canadian citizens. Commercial properties are not affected by the foreign buyer ban, so that is where the big money is going. Industrial properties and non strata apartment buildings have seen a big surge in activity over the last 2 years. This is where the big money is going in real estate. Not condos or detached homes. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Most properties today are being purchased by local buyers or buyers that are overseas but are Canadian citizens. Commercial properties are not affected by the foreign buyer ban, so that is where the big money is going. Industrial properties and non strata apartment buildings have seen a big surge in activity over the last 2 years. This is where the big money is going in real estate. Not condos or detached homes. 

Adjacent to this is my buddy whose family owns a 32 unit (i think) trailer park. It generates 20k a month of income for them, and they have owned it since the 70s, it is more than paid off. If i could grab a 8 to 12 unit apartment block I would. 18 to 25k a month of passive income (even if that is only 2500 net)? yes please. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

This poll is about informing parents about pronouns and has nothing to do with Smith's new bill.... Got one that addresses this?:

If you think that the pronouns are polling in Smith's favour but sex and gender discussions etc aren't going to.

36 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

What the Science on Gender-Affirming Care for Transgender Kids Really Shows

Laws that ban gender-affirming treatment ignore the wealth of research demonstrating its benefits for trans people’s health

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-the-science-on-gender-affirming-care-for-transgender-kids-really-shows/

The longest ongoing study in the most accepting of transitioning (although they never really transition, they became feminine men or masculine women) disagrees. Remember, this study has been happening for 30 years. Leave them alone. Let them know there will be confusion in their lives, let them dress like boys or girls or whatever but do not give them chemicals and do not cut of body parts. Let them make those decisions as adults. This shouldn't be controversial. If all these parents and teachers are so understanding, it should be easy to explain why should wait until you are an adult. 

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0016885

20 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

The longest ongoing study in the most accepting of transitioning (although they never really transition, they became feminine men or masculine women) disagrees. Remember, this study has been happening for 30 years. Leave them alone. Let them know there will be confusion in their lives, let them dress like boys or girls or whatever but do not give them chemicals and do not cut of body parts. Let them make those decisions as adults. This shouldn't be controversial. If all these parents and teachers are so understanding, it should be easy to explain why should wait until you are an adult. 

Persons with transsexualism, after sex reassignment, have considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behaviour, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population. 
So do people who are trans who don’t have gender affirming care. This study does not address the difference. 

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, 5forFighting said:

PLOS is a well respected publication and should be expected to provide as good or better information as Scientific American.   On this subject though they do have a history of bias. 

On August 27, 2018, the editors of PLOS One initiated a reevaluation of an article they published two weeks earlier submitted by Brown University School of Public Health assistant professor Lisa Littman.[54] The study described a phenomenon of social contagion, or "cluster outbreaks" in gender dysphoria among young people, which Littman called "rapid-onset gender dysphoria".[54] Data was obtained from a survey placed on three websites for concerned parents of children with gender dysphoria, asking for responses from parents whose children had experienced "sudden or rapid development of gender dysphoria beginning between the ages of 10 and 21".[55] The study was criticized by transgender activists like Julia Serano and medical professionals like developmental and clinical psychologist Diane Ehrensaft, as being politicized and having self-selected samples, as well as lacking clinical data or responses from the adolescents themselves.[56][57]

On March 19, 2019, PLOS One completed its review. PLOS One psychology academic editor Angelo Brandelli Costa acted as a reviewer criticizing the methods and conclusion of the study in a formal comment, saying, "The level of evidence produced by the Dr. Littman's study cannot generate a new diagnostic criterion relative to the time of presentation of the demands of medical and social gender affirmation."[58] In a separate letter apologizing for the failure of peer review to address the issues with the article, PLOS One Editor-in-chief Joerg Heber said, "we have reached the conclusion that the study and resultant data reported in the article represent a valid contribution to the scientific literature. However, we have also determined that the study, including its goals, methodology, and conclusions, were not adequately framed in the published version, and that these needed to be corrected."[59]

The paper was republished with updated Title, Abstract, Introduction, Methodology, Discussion, and Conclusion sections, but the Results section was mostly unchanged. In her correction, Littman emphasized that the article was "a study of parental observations which serves to develop hypotheses", saying "Rapid-onset gender dysphoria (ROGD) is not a formal mental health diagnosis at this time. This report did not collect data from the adolescents and young adults (AYAs) or clinicians and therefore does not validate the phenomenon. Additional research that includes AYAs, along with consensus among experts in the field, will be needed to determine if what is described here as rapid-onset gender dysphoria (ROGD) will become a formal diagnosis."[54]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLOS_One#History

9 minutes ago, Spur1 said:

Persons with transsexualism, after sex reassignment, have considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behaviour, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population. 
So do people who are trans who don’t have gender affirming care. This study does not address the difference. 

That’s what I got out of it as well. People that have had sex reassignment are more at risk than the general population. We’ll, no shit Sherlock.  I do not think the study says what 5 thinks it says.

The rest of the conclusion says that although sex reassignment alleviates gender dysphoria more and improved after-care is suggested.

Conclusions

Persons with transsexualism, after sex reassignment, have considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behaviour, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population. Our findings suggest that sex reassignment, although alleviating gender dysphoria, may not suffice as treatment for transsexualism, and should inspire improved psychiatric and somatic care after sex reassignment for this patient group.

23 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

That’s what I got out of it as well. People that have had sex reassignment are more at risk than the general population. We’ll, no shit Sherlock.  I do not think the study says what 5 thinks it says.

The rest of the conclusion says that although sex reassignment alleviates gender dysphoria more and improved after-care is suggested.

Conclusions

Persons with transsexualism, after sex reassignment, have considerably higher risks for mortality, suicidal behaviour, and psychiatric morbidity than the general population. Our findings suggest that sex reassignment, although alleviating gender dysphoria, may not suffice as treatment for transsexualism, and should inspire improved psychiatric and somatic care after sex reassignment for this patient group.

So don't let them cut off their body parts as children, agreed?

Are really that dense or are you just trolling?

Did you listen to Cross Country Checkup today on the subject?  Oh wait you and DB probably think CBC stands for Communist Broadcasting Corporation. 
Body parts are only cut off children in extreme situations if at all. If you don’t already live in Alberta you should move there as you would probably fit right in. 

• Cheers 1

Heh.  Once again this guy is completely misrepresenting a study.  The lead author Dhejne has gone on record to clarify this is in multiple interviews.

Dhejne: "Yes! It’s very frustrating! I’ve even seen professors use my work to support ridiculous claims. I’ve often had to respond myself by commenting on articles, speaking with journalists, and talking about this problem at conferences. The Huffington Post wrote an article about the way my research is misrepresented. At the same time, I know of instances where ethical researchers and clinicians have used this study to expand and improve access to trans healthcare and impact systems of anti-trans oppression."

Trying to construe a medical study to support an anti-trans agenda.  What a fucking sleazy, scumbag thing to do.  No surprises here, though.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1