Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

So worrying about children having this type of surgery, especially without parental consent is bigoted?  Have me or him ever actually said we don't support trans people? 

Where is the actual hate speech?  Speech you are.hurt by doesn't count as hate speech 

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

First of all, I reported the other guy, not you technically.

And it was for hate speech against trans. I have friends who are trans and I am of the mindset that the inclusivity of trans shouldn't be a political issue to begin with. Trans shouldn't even be an issue socially but there's a lot of people out there who are still fearful of it; thus, they participate in hate speech.

And, for the record, I still think there are areas that need to be ironed out when it comes to things like athletics (an issue for another time). But beyond that, we should be inclusive of these groups and I think hate speech only exposes the weak-minded who are unable to get around the notion of inclusivity.

Now, I haven't really read your posts the last couple of days. I didn't really care to, but I'm saying all of this to be open. Because I hope you learn from it.

You think there are areas that need to be ironed out?  That's exactly my point with kids surgeries..

Are we both bigoted?  What's wrong with athletics? 

12 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

So worrying about children having this type of surgery, especially without parental consent is bigoted?  Have me or him ever actually said we don't support trans people? 

Where is the actual hate speech?  Speech you are.hurt by doesn't count as hate speech 

The part that made me just stop looking in this thread for a while was actually the memes the other guy had posted. Here's an example that follows what I said regarding not being inclusive that most hate speech comes from:

On 2/3/2024 at 9:29 AM, 5forFighting said:

20240203_092819.jpg

Hate speech is meant to hurt others. Therefore, if people like me and others get hurt by the speech and it's against an actual group of human beings, that counts as hate speech. What you literally claim to be not hate speech... in this case it actually is.

Edit: Also, how you word things can make all the difference.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

The part that made me just stop looking in this thread for a while was actually the memes the other guy had posted. Here's an example that follows what I said regarding not being inclusive that most hate speech comes from:

Hate speech is meant to hurt others. Therefore, I will agree that if people like me and others get hurt by the speech, that counts as hate speech. What you literally just said isn't hate speech... in this case it actually is.

Hate speech is anything that hurts you?  Dude.  Wtf.  Okay

7 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I think you and I agree on a lot of things but not on tactics.   Is that comment really helpful in promoting your ideas and opinions?

You are still trying to reason with this guy and I give you credit for that.  I don't have the patience for this level of stupid bullshit.  I really don't.  It disrespects the memory of my friends and he's out here essentially calling them rapists.  Fuck that shit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And that has very little to do with the Liberals and in fact gets worse under the Cons as other things like social services cuts, privatized health care etc make life more expensive under Conservative governments. Pushing them even further from affording those things. I get it, people are emotional, it's economically very challenging out there due to a shit tonne of (largely global) events conspiring against affordability. But reacting (and voting) emotionally for a party that's even further against your best interests does indeed seem "ignorant and uninformed" (as well as emotionally charged).

But you're probably right, people usually make wise, reasoned decisions while emotionally charged 🙄

Anyone that ever believed most politicians is deluded. That's not a new phenomena.

It has very little to do with the Liberals, but it will also have very little to do with the Conservatives as well, so nothing will change.  If the government wants to actually pay down the debt, then yes they will need to cut spending, that is not a foreign concept and was done successfully under the Chretien government.  In fact, Chretien was even able to balance the budget by cutting spending.  This is a foreign concept to Trudeau's government.  We haven't had a balanced budget since the last days of Harper.  And before you start throwing out the usual COVID, world wars and all of the other reasons, Trudeau has been in power since 2016 and promised a balanced budget in 2019, well before COVID.  As a matter of fact, that's what he campaigned on and that is one of the reasons people like me voted for him and why he got elected...

• Cheers 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Easier to win arguments if person frames things to the narrative theyre trying to claim.😉

Oh I fully realise what he's trying to do. lol

Unfortunately, it also means he probably isn't going to learn and I'm probably wasting my time.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If the Liberals want to get voters like me back to their party then they need to change up the leadership like I've mentioned before.  People like me voted for Jean Chretien and Paul Martin.  We even voted for Trudeau the first time.  However, we won't be voting for him again.  The Liberal party needs to shift over to the centre again like it used to be under Chretien and Martin.  I don't vote NDP federally, never have, so I am not about to vote for a Liberal Party that is in bed with the NDP and that the only reason they are still in power is because of their alliance and sleeping together with said NDP party.  There is a reason the Liberals and the NDP are two different parties, they used to be fundamentally different, now you can't tell them apart.

I've never said I was some PP fan and my voting history shows that I am a centrist, not some right wing Conservative nut job.  If the Liberals were actually doing the right thing then they should be winning in the polls.  Instead, alot of their base has shifted elsewhere.  1 in 3 gen z'ers are polling to vote Conservative right now.  Liberals can call them ignorant, uninformed, stupid, whatever they want, but at the end of the day that is 14% of the voter base that is pissed off that they can't even afford their rent right now and that home ownership may never happen for them.  They don't believe in politicians anymore, they think they are all liars.  Which they are.

The Liberals need to do the right thing and force Trudeau to resign and get new leadership.  If they were to do that I think all those former Liberals who voted for Trudeau the first time would probably go back to the Liberals, including the gen z'ers.  If the Liberals can't even find someone better than Trudeau to run in the next election, then they don't deserve to be in power.  Best case scenario is for the Conservatives to form a minority government and then the Liberals are forced to get new leadership after Trudeau is voted out.  Once that happens, things will start to change for the better.  

That would be the smart thing to do, I'm not sure how people can stomach to vote for Trudeau again after the job he's done and just the need for different ideas. You would have to think there is an up and coming Liberal MP ready to step up with fresh perspective.  

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Oh I fully realise what he's trying to do. lol

Unfortunately, it also means he probably isn't going to learn and I'm probably wasting my time.

I am learning that I need to not hurt your feelings or you'll report me

Edited by Wiggums
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

That would be the smart thing to do, I'm not sure how people can stomach to vote for Trudeau again after the job he's done and just the need for different ideas. You would have to think there is an up and coming Liberal MP ready to step up with fresh perspective.  

I didn’t vote for JT last election but I sure as heck didn’t vote for the Conservatives. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Kent we're here in the comments section where we're at 99 pages of one demographic calling the other demographic sickos while taking almost a 3rd if the entire pages in the thread to fantasize and debate the sexuality of children and what they have in their pants or where they might be sticking those parts.

I don't know about you Kent but for me down here on the ground, the entire comment section looks like an online confession forum like a Dear Abbey column from people who can't stop thinking about the genitals of children while claiming they are "just protecting them"

Meanwhile on the political front.  The gentleman known as Hair Boy the Tyrannical, 2nd of his line to hate Alberta; leader of the party of wokeness and liberulizms the all powerful has not been discussed in about a dozen pages, and that Kent, as you know may be a record.

We'll keep you updated from here on the ground Kent but as you can see, it's a veritable who's who of what the fuck is going on here.

I got vibes of WIlliam Burroughs "Mildred Pearce reporting...." which may have been a tacit nod to the trans discussion? (Mildred was, in the author's works, a dude.)

6 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I got vibes of WIlliam Burroughs "Mildred Pearce reporting...." which may have been a tacit nod to the trans discussion? (Mildred was, in the author's works, a dude.)

Over my head, just saw a SouthPark episode with their reporter saying something similar in an episode and it made me lol 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Over my head, just saw a SouthPark episode with their reporter saying something similar in an episode and it made me lol 

not safe for work/kids:
William S Burroughs reads excerpts from his work to the sounds of the Disposable Heroes of HipHopracy.  For those interested the album is called Spare Ass Annie. 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, 112 said:

I consider it very unfortunate how discussion has progressed in this thread. CDC was always a place that fostered (or at least refused to remove) overt transphobia, and it seems that trend has continued over to the new forum.

Personally I'd rather my children have exposure to, e.g., drag queens than either of 5 or Wiggum.

Trans women are women and trans men are men.

While I wish the overt transphobia wasn't there, I would rather it remain. I would rather know who has bigoted views, and not have them hidden behind moderation. Outright hate language excepted, of course, but even then I would prefer the equivalent of a *beep*. 

Have the hatred die in the light and not fester in the darkness.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Hate speech is meant to hurt others. Therefore, if people like me and others get hurt by the speech and it's against an actual group of human beings, that counts as hate speech. What you literally claim to be not hate speech... in this case it actually is.

Edit: Also, how you word things can make all the difference.

One has to have a very basic idea of personhood to post a meme like that and equate gender with sex.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Wiggums said:

Hate speech is anything that hurts you?  Dude.  Wtf.  Okay

Actually hate speech is equating a trans person to a pervert in a washroom whipping out his pecker in front of a little girl. I tried to have a reasonable conversation with you but this is where it winds up.

Nobody anywhere wants perverts around kids full stop. You and I agree on something. The problem with your argument is you are labelling an entire group of people with that and if we’re being honest, the wrong group. The perverts are most likely to be adult males, probably a relative or trusted family friend but I would never slap that tag on those groups because it would be an ugly generalization. Hate speech.

You do you but if you want to have a real conversation maybe take a cue from @Master Mind. I may disagree with some of his points but it’s good discussion.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1